OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 312 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
I like Naples. Wouldn’t go out of my way, but when I’m in the area it’s my go-to. They sell Foxin Park too, and I’m convinced Foxon Park taste-tests pizza before they let their product be sold at an establishment.
When I was a little kid my grandmother made sure to always have a case of the assorted 12oz Foxon Park bottles on hand for when I spent time at their house. That plus her fried dough and homemade sauce with some grated Parmesan on top made me a happy 8 year old on many winter days (with my ColecoVision in tow).

She bought the dough at Tolli’s in East Haven, back when it was under original management.

Reaction Score
Best pizza in Boston is...?
here are some replies I got when I asked.
Give Da Laposta in Newton a try . Pizza is great and so is the rest of the food. The owner is a Berlin native that’s been in the pizza business his entire life . He trained both here and in Italy.
Picco in the South End is good.

If you're willing to go out to Newton there are a couple good options. Max and Leo's in Newton Corner is good. There's one next to Fenway Park too but I've never had pizza at that one so I don't know if it's as good.

There are a couple pizza guys in my office and they both said I have to try Jinny's in Newton Center. Haven't been there yet so can't tell you what it's like.
I can also endorse Regina. Went to Santarpio’s in East Boston (a commonly referred place) like 10 years ago and remember it just being fine. Since I’ve been back I’ve mainly had more artisanal stuff like Si Cara by MIT and Source at Harvard, both good for what they are.

I just moved back after 8ish years and I’ve looking at Yelp; these places looks solid

Annie’s in Medford

Brewers fork in Charlestown

Joe’s in Harvard
Stoked in Harvard
Pinocchio in Harvard.

Area Four in east Cambridge
Sulmona in east Cambridge
Cambridge pizzeria

Rina’s in the north end looks like it could be called Apizza
Galleria Umberto in north end

Florina in beacon hill

Lily’s in financial district

Union park in Back bay

Alfredo’s in southie
Boardwalk in southie
Broadways best in southie

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great question. Original places and not Pepe's or Sally's up here? Probably Pizzeria Regina in the North End. Not the other Pizzeria Regina locations.

Armando's at Huron and Concord in Cambridge used to be great for a slice and a calzone. Haven't been in years but a buddy of mine took his kid not too long ago and said it's still good. Little no frills hole in the wall spot.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
According to my 3rd grader it's Lala's in Time-Out Market (Fenway stop on the Green Line).

He says it's the number 3 pizza in the world, behind Luna Pizza and Big Y pizza.
take it to the bank!

Reaction Score
According to my 3rd grader it's Lala's in Time-Out Market (Fenway stop on the Green Line).

He says it's the number 3 pizza in the world, behind Luna Pizza and Big Y pizza.
Had it once. Neopolitan. Kind of sloppy. Hated the sauce. Not worth going out of your way to try.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Crossed the border into NY to attend a bottle share at Marlowe Ales in Mamaroneck last night. Finished the night a few blocks away at Sal’s. Hadn’t been there in at least a decade. Still the best Sicilian slice in Westchester/Fairfield counties, and a regular slice is as dependable and delicious as I remembered.
Interesting, really.

My visits to Sal's, Domenick & Pia's in Waterbury, and Joe's on Carmine Street in NYC have all left me with a guilty, "Is that it? Am I missing something?" feeling, as though I'd be rude or curmudgeonly in passing along that impression to people whose opinions I respect. I think there's a compliment in there that I group those 3 together as something akin to "The best of those that haven't impressed me as much as I think they're supposed to have."

While I'm on the topic (sort of), I'll say that more than half of my takeout pies from Modern in the past 5 years have left me feeling that either I don't know how to order from there anymore, or they aren't as reliable as they were when they were my #1 choice when I'd travel from Fairfield County to New Haven for more than a decade, before I moved back to New Haven 10 years ago after being 30+ years elsewhere.

Okay, now maybe that's all out of my system. May it create space for me to not be so expectation-based moving forward.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
here are some replies I got when I asked.

I can also endorse Regina. Went to Santarpio’s in East Boston (a commonly referred place) like 10 years ago and remember it just being fine. Since I’ve been back I’ve mainly had more artisanal stuff like Si Cara by MIT and Source at Harvard, both good for what they are.

I just moved back after 8ish years and I’ve looking at Yelp; these places looks solid

Annie’s in Medford

Brewers fork in Charlestown

Joe’s in Harvard
Stoked in Harvard
Pinocchio in Harvard.

Area Four in east Cambridge
Sulmona in east Cambridge
Cambridge pizzeria

Rina’s in the north end looks like it could be called Apizza
Galleria Umberto in north end

Florina in beacon hill

Lily’s in financial district

Union park in Back bay

Alfredo’s in southie
Boardwalk in southie
Broadways best in southie
I'm curious to learn what opinions you develop from exploring.

If I haven't already said so, I admired how the practical realitiesc of your temporary/transitional location in CT before heading back to Boston guided you to explore CT pizza, but not overly deeply. From my single visit to Fuoco, I'd say you found a most worthy 'go to,' and lost little (if anything) by not obsessing over which of the best was the best of them.

Reaction Score
Joanie's Pizza is Chelmsford is way out there and not in Boston but it's very good. Have a friend who lives in Pepperell nearby and we actually had to wait in line at Joanie's!

Reaction Score
Joanie's Pizza is Chelmsford is way out there and not in Boston but it's very good. Have a friend who lives in Pepperell nearby and we actually had to wait in line at Joanie's!
Portnoy loved it. It does look legit. On my list to try. When did you go? After this review the place was packed.

Reaction Score

Haha... I'll be there with my fourth grader who thought Sally's was great, Pepe's was eh, and Domino's was delicious. So... Should have clarified we'll be in Back Bay and carless.

Reaction Score
Haha... I'll be there with my fourth grader who thought Sally's was great, Pepe's was eh, and Domino's was delicious. So... Should have clarified we'll be in Back Bay and carless.
This spot looks like it could be good

Reaction Score

Shortcut <<

Zupps lost on a tiebreaker

That would be the one to compare to NY/NJ pizza. In my experience, it was the most like NY/NJ pizza or least like the other Apizza places I’ve been to (Bar, Modern, Pepe, Fuoco, others in Cheshire)

Reaction Score
Interesting, really.

My visits to Sal's, Domenick & Pia's in Waterbury, and Joe's on Carmine Street in NYC have all left me with a guilty, "Is that it? Am I missing something?" feeling, as though I'd be rude or curmudgeonly in passing along that impression to people whose opinions I respect. I think there's a compliment in there that I group those 3 together as something akin to "The best of those that haven't impressed me as much as I think they're supposed to have."

While I'm on the topic (sort of), I'll say that more than half of my takeout pies from Modern in the past 5 years have left me feeling that either I don't know how to order from there anymore, or they aren't as reliable as they were when they were my #1 choice when I'd travel from Fairfield County to New Haven for more than a decade, before I moved back to New Haven 10 years ago after being 30+ years elsewhere.

Okay, now maybe that's all out of my system. May it create space for me to not be so expectation-based moving forward.
Totally agree on Joe's. Didn't get the hype. Also, in the same area that also gets a lot of hype, Prince Street. Really didn't do anything for me.

Reaction Score
Totally agree on Joe's. Didn't get the hype. Also, in the same area that also gets a lot of hype, Prince Street. Really didn't do anything for me.
Prince Street opened a spot in SD and it was good

Reaction Score
Interesting, really.

Sals, corner Sicilian. Fantastic.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sals, corner Sicilian. Fantastic.
Thx.
Now you've given me something to work with...and longings for East 14th St Artichoke's Sicilian slices during lomg multi-borough bike rides, and takeout Grandma slices from New Hyde Park Umberto's before or after a movie at North Shore Towers (neither of which I expect to hold any meaning for anybody here). Both had to be corners.

But when am I even gonna get there?

I'd have to be passing through and either fed up with the Hutch AND 95, or maybe some tie-in with a Wegmans recon in Harrison after meeting up with my LIC friend visiting her grandsons in White Plains or going to the Bronx Zoo as her guest.

Living in KY really changes things.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom