OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 313 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
takeout Grandma slices from New Hyde Park Umberto's before or after a movie at North Shore Towers (neither of which I expect to hold any meaning for anybody here). Both had to be corners.
Both have meaning to me. The sight of North Shore Towers means that I'm about halfway to Robert Moses Beach from Norwalk. Pizza at Umbertos was consumed often with an old flame who lived in Garden City. Very solid slices, regular, Sicilian & especially grandma!

Reaction Score
Bought some pies at Pepe’s for an USNA team competing at Yale. They loved it and I have to admit, it was delicious. Growing up in the NH area, I usually lean Bar or Modern. Now I’m going to be forced to do a NH pizza taste test. Can’t wait!

Reaction Score
I’m chilling at my cozy Airbnb in Northern Fairfield County and we ordered takeout from Good Ole Days Pizza and Cocktail Den.

This place is funky. Wish we just ate there: such a cool vibe (MASSIVE fireplace) and the staff was super cool.

We ordered a cheese, a “Heat of the Moment” (red sauce, mozz, bomba calabreze, honey, red onion, hold the sopprasata) and a “Tommy and the Dill” (mozz, sliced pickles, red onion, sour cream, ranch, sesame seeds and parsley”.

All three were good: super quality ingredients and the Heat of the Moment was absolutely my favorite. One of the better sauces I’ve had in a while. We are back in Newtown next Saturday for our friend’s baby’s first birthday, so we’ll plan to eat there before the 45 minute drive back home.

Also, as a bonus, we picked up snacks and drinks at Big Y, my first visit since college and my wife’s first…I friggin’ love that store and wish there were ones closer to Norwalk.

Reaction Score
I’m chilling at my cozy Airbnb in Northern Fairfield County and we ordered takeout from Good Ole Days Pizza and Cocktail Den.

This place is funky. Wish we just ate there: such a cool vibe (MASSIVE fireplace) and the staff was super cool.

We ordered a cheese, a “Heat of the Moment” (red sauce, mozz, bomba calabreze, honey, red onion, hold the sopprasata) and a “Tommy and the Dill” (mozz, sliced pickles, red onion, sour cream, ranch, sesame seeds and parsley”.

All three were good: super quality ingredients and the Heat of the Moment was absolutely my favorite. One of the better sauces I’ve had in a while. We are back in Newtown next Saturday for our friend’s baby’s first birthday, so we’ll plan to eat there before the 45 minute drive back home.

Also, as a bonus, we picked up snacks and drinks at Big Y, my first visit since college and my wife’s first…I friggin’ love that store and wish there were ones closer to Norwalk.

I grew up in Newtown. Good Ole Days has become a town favorite quickly. When I opened the box, I was underwhelmed, but was thrilled once I took my first bite. Doesn't look like much, but has great flavor.

Reaction Score
Pepe's Fairfield now cuts their large pies in triangular slices. I'm guessing that they do it on all sizes, but can only confirm the large. Do they do this in New Haven too?

Their whole branding is based on tradition; I just don't understand why they would mess with the pizza. Very upsetting to me who's been going to Pepe's my whole life. They said that you could still request to be cut the old way.

They also now put the pepperoni on the top of the cheese and don't layer it under, within and over the cheese like they used to. I've been told that you can also request them to prepare it the traditional way.

Reaction Score
Pepe's Fairfield now cuts their large pies in triangular slices. I'm guessing that they do it on all sizes, but can only confirm the large. Do they do this in New Haven too?

Their whole branding is based on tradition; I just don't understand why they would mess with the pizza. Very upsetting to me who's been going to Pepe's my whole life. They said that you could still request to be cut the old way.

They also now put the pepperoni on the top of the cheese and don't layer it under, within and over the cheese like they used to. I've been told that you can also request them to prepare it the traditional way.
Yep, they've been doing the same in Elmwood for a while now. I also have to order the piz well done to avoid greasy/soupy ness and reach acceptable char.

It's still better than anything in my vicinity. Though I'll choose Harrys if I'm in that part of town

Reaction Score

Went this weekend actually. Underwhelming in all respects. It's fine, but nothing more. I grew up going to the original in NH -- Fairfield doesn't hold a candle to the original.

Reaction Score
Not in my Top 10, but honorable mention to "CoalHouse" in Stamford for good pizza, very good beer selection and chilled out atmosphere.

Reaction Score
Paul Giamatti reaffirmed his loyalty to New Haven-style pizza on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" Tuesday night.

In his interview with the late-night talk show host, the award-winning actor and Yale University alumnusdiscussed how growing up in the Elm City made him a dedicated fan of apizza, the dish that has given the city its reputation as the "pizza capital of America" — at least according to Gov. Ned Lamont.

"I literally have never had better pizza. I'm a snob about it. I've gone to Italy and been like, 'No, this isn't good,'" he told Kimmel, generating a laugh from the audience.

Alternate access:

'I literally have never had better pizza': Paul Giamatti praises New Haven apizza (again), this time on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!'

Reaction Score
Not in my Top 10, but honorable mention to "CoalHouse" in Stamford for good pizza, very good beer selection and chilled out atmosphere.
Your description of Coalhouse is spot on. It’s “good” and that’s it. Not memorable but gets the job done. It’s not NY style, not apizza and not bar pie - although the Colony-inspired “Stinger” hot oil pie is tasty. The back-room bar is great, but they have really curtailed the craft beer options in the last few years as foot traffic has decreased.

Once Frank Pepe opens this spring across the street, Coalhouse is going to face an uphill climb to bring in customers.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I was very excited this morning, working in Greenwich, was at Grigg Street pizza at 11:55 am for lunch. Closed. No sign on the door, no explanation on their web site, FB or IG. Luckily, I'm back working Greenwich next week.

There was a big silver lining in that cloud, I got a tidbit wedge with fried onions and steak sauce at Greenwich Prime Meats instead. Must have been an lb. of steak on the sandwich, it had been a bit skimpy the last couple of times I had it. Will definitely require an extra set or two at the at the gym tonight!

428159280_1576766073090726_3230101705896955642_n.jpg

Reaction Score
I was very excited this morning, working in Greenwich, was at Grigg Street pizza at 11:55 am for lunch. Closed. No sign on the door, no explanation on their web site, FB or IG. Luckily, I'm back working Greenwich next week.

There was a big silver lining in that cloud, I got a tidbit wedge with fried onions and steak sauce at Greenwich Prime Meats instead. Must have been an lb. of steak on the sandwich, it had been a bit skimpy the last couple of times I had it. Will definitely require an extra set or two at the at the gym tonight!

View attachment 96769
Please tell me that wedge is garlic bread and you got some gorgonzola salad.
Have yet to make it to Grigg Street, it's high on my list. Hope it's just a fluke that it was closed!

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Please tell me that wedge is garlic bread and you got some gorgonzola salad.
Have yet to make it to Grigg Street, it's high on my list. Hope it's just a fluke that it was closed!
Sandwich has Maneros fried onions & steak sauce on it (and its filet mignon), would be too much on garlic bread. A loaf and a salad were procured as well, and will accompany dinner tomorrow night :cool: most likely with a large, strong cocktail (or two) in a shaker glass for a the complete experience!!! All I need is valet parking, Smitty & the singing waiters :D

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I will repeat my attraction to East Haven's downtown pizzeria, Minervini's. The crust is crackish to me.

Reaction Score
I was up at Mount Snow last weekend and there is a brewery in Wilmington Valley Craft Ales. Head brewer is from CT and makes specifically Apizza per the menu. Got a pepperoni/onion/jalapeño/ricotta pie and it was very solid. If you ever ski mount snow this place is worth a try

AC7D1334-83C8-4619-BB03-650A5127FAB2.jpeg

Reaction Score
Had Crust Issues in Norwalk tonight, definitely one of the more unique tasting pizzas I've had as the crust tastes like and has the texture of focaccia bread. Very good tho and they will be added to the rotation

Reaction Score
There’s a new place in downtown Willimantic called Trigo. Only been once so far but the pizza was exceptional. Wood fired ovens, thin crust and some interesting pies.
Went to Trigo before the Nova game. First visit but not last. Pie was exceptional. Locally sourced ingredients cooked to perfection. 8.4

Attachments

• IMG_6210.jpeg
    IMG_6210.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 55
Reaction Score
Went to Trigo before the Nova game. First visit but not last. Pie was exceptional. Locally sourced ingredients cooked to perfection. 8.4
Okay so an exceptional, perfectly-cookie pie with local ingredients only scores an 8.4 for you?

Cmon Portnoy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom