OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 287 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Wasn't aware of this. I'll definitely look for that. Too bad it's a few years late as my cousin was a desk sergeant for years. Would've loved to discuss it with him.
The book (Rogue Town) wasn't that good. He referenced a number of incidents (most famous being the Pellicci kid) but wouldn't add any insight or information as to what really happened. He spent the entire book leading to big reveals that he never revealed.

Reaction Score
The book (Rogue Town) wasn't that good. He referenced a number of incidents (most famous being the Pellicci kid) but wouldn't add any insight or information as to what really happened. He spent the entire book leading to big reveals that he never revealed.
Agree that the book was a tease. You’d probably learn more from reading the 80+ articles Dolan wrote for The Advocate. But for a Stamford native who was an oblivious kid in the 70s, the book was an eye opener. I think Im also a little younger than you. I was too busy playing stickball in the perfect cul de sac at the end of Three Lakes Drive, chasing the Good Humor truck and trying to avoid getting roughed up by the kids in my neighborhood who learned from their parents not to like people from my religious background.

My only memories of corrupt Stamford until I read the book were the annual illegal July 4 fireworks extravaganza my neighbor staged for the entire neighborhood (attended by cops), and going with my mother to pick up my father at the train station from his weekly Amtrak trips to DC - and running the gauntlet of prostitutes on Washington Blvd between Columbus Park and the Roger Williams Hotel.

I didn’t know that a top cop was running southern CT’s biggest drug operation out of the towers on Washington/Tresser, in cahoots with West Side drug dealers and NYC crime families. I didn’t know that a young girlfriend of a major dealer was murdered and dumped in the High Ridge cemetery because she knew too much. The book really is a reminder of the seedy side of Stamford in the 70s and 80s, and it was quite seedy… from the West Side, to downtown, to police HQ, to the department of public works and other government departments.

I wrote sports copy for the great Len Gambino at WSTC for two summers while I was in high school. He used to joke about his distant cousins and their activities in Stamford. I always thought he was kidding. He wasn’t.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Stamford had Anthony “The Genius” Megale as a Cosa Nostra mob underboss Anthony Megale - Wikipedia, and the Uva's, who ran a gambling ring out of 514 Glenbrook Road Names of 20 Charged in Alleged Mob Roundup Released . There were also mob ties with the former owners of 23 Seaview Avenue (was a bar, now an office building), who lost the property to the IRS via an asset forfeiture.
I'm sure FfldCntyFan, who's last name ends in a vowel ;), has more details.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Agree that the book was a tease. You’d probably learn more from reading the 80+ articles Dolan wrote for The Advocate. But for a Stamford native who was an oblivious kid in the 70s, the book was an eye opener. I think Im also a little younger than you. I was too busy playing stickball in the perfect cul de sac at the end of Three Lakes Drive, chasing the Good Humor truck and trying to avoid getting roughed up by the kids in my neighborhood who learned from their parents not to like people from my religious background.

My only memories of corrupt Stamford until I read the book were the annual illegal July 4 fireworks extravaganza my neighbor staged for the entire neighborhood (attended by cops), and going with my mother to pick up my father at the train station from his weekly Amtrak trips to DC - and running the gauntlet of prostitutes on Washington Blvd between Columbus Park and the Roger Williams Hotel.

I didn’t know that a top cop was running southern CT’s biggest drug operation out of the towers on Washington/Tresser, in cahoots with West Side drug dealers and NYC crime families. I didn’t know that a young girlfriend of a major dealer was murdered and dumped in the High Ridge cemetery because she knew too much. The book really is a reminder of the seedy side of Stamford in the 70s and 80s, and it was quite seedy… from the West Side, to downtown, to police HQ, to the department of public works and other government departments.

I wrote sports copy for the great Len Gambino at WSTC for two summers while I was in high school. He used to joke about his distant cousins and their activities in Stamford. I always thought he was kidding. He wasn’t.
Kibbe,

Writing sports copy in high school must have been the coolest thing for a kid who enjoys sports.

Sorry to hear about what you had to deal with. One of the prevailing things about Stamford from when it was a factory town from the late 1800's through to the 1950's was that different backgrounds populated different neighborhoods and you could tell by the churches/synagogues, etc if it was an Irish, Italian, Jewish, Polish neighborhood. During the 1960's when I was growing up and the factories had moved out was when people started to move and neighborhoods (slowly) started becoming more diverse. The overall mood of the 1960's also helped but it did take some time (and sadly there are still far too many closed minded at-hats out there).

On the stories in that book, unfortunately I knew of nearly all of them (and the rumored major players in each) long before the book was published.

By the way, if you have any interest in attending a football game this fall let me know.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Burts’ Place

Morton grove , Illinois

501D0BEE-7663-471A-8248-C46B4A46F011.jpeg

August_West

Reaction Score
I was just down there a couple weekends ago for Mole de Mayo ended up at Canton Regio where I often end up. The sabinas tacos are great, half a kilo of skirt steak meal is always good to share with someone. It's cash only but inexpensive and BYOB.

5 Rabanitos, Carnitas Uruapan, Carnitas Don Pedro, Quesabirria Jalisco

They're all on 18th street near each other

Lo Rez Brewery is down there, I've never been but I've had a couple good beers they make.
Your canton regio rec was absolutely perfect. Oh man. so good. And me and 2 buddies absolutely gorged and the bill for 3 was like 47 bucks!

Good job. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Someone mentioned Camille's in Tolland on here. Stopped by there yesterday on my way home from the Travelers Championship. It was good but nothing special. Not good enough to go there again unless you live near there and it's convenient.

Reaction Score
I’ve become spoiled by my wife’s homemade pizza which is fortunate because my longtime favorite local shops have gone downhill. She makes her own dough, sauce and freshly grate the mozz and parm. This is probably my favorite one, sausage (Lamberti’s) and spinach. I always order light cheese and well done. We cook 2 at a time in our double oven at 515 on a stone. Hot kitchen today but we’ll worth it.
IMG_4505.jpeg

Reaction Score
Your canton regio rec was absolutely perfect. Oh man. so good. And me and 2 buddies absolutely gorged and the bill for 3 was like 47 bucks!

Good job. Thanks.
How did you like Burt's Pizza?

August_West

Reaction Score
How did you like Burt's Pizza?

I concur with :

"Burts is the only deep dish pizza I've ever loved" - Anthony Bourdain

Plus it's a real cool spot, was a beautiful night and a great spot for a patio hang.

Came in real handy because we got into O'Hare at like 6PM Friday and the ride estimates from O'Hare to where I was staying in West Loop was like 90 plus minutes, Burts was about 1/2 way in between so it worked out perfect to stop there and let traffic lighten.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Stamford? I thought you were from Simsbury KK

Reaction Score
Who’s had a pie from the Fire Engine Pizza Co.?I just noticed they are building one in Milford.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Executioner #3

#'s 1 & 2 had been revealed as Killer Kowalski & Big John Studd. I'm very skeptical re your claim as #3, as you are a pencil neck geek. Perhaps we can see your steel cage skills to refute my doubt?

Reaction Score
#'s 1 & 2 had been revealed as Killer Kowalski & Big John Studd. I'm very skeptical re your claim as #3, as you are a pencil neck geek. Perhaps we can see your steel cage skills to refute my doubt?
I wish my neck was skinny actually. But I have to tell you that weekly one-on-one meetings in VKM’s office were exponentially more stressful.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
ADub is the one who's claimed to be Executioner #3. I'm doubtful, and guessing Billy The Kid (who's a Stamford Fire Department captain and long retired from the squared circle) could whup his arse, even if he got outside interference from Tony Garea.

August_West

Reaction Score
ADub is the one who's claimed to be Executioner #3. I'm doubtful, and guessing Billy The Kid could whup his arse
Nope. I’m a smart mark. ( smark) I know kk under that mask

Also either way I put camel clutch on the dvegas and humble him like the Bob backlund

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom