OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 286 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score

I will check it out for my customers. They tend to like when I stop locally in WesMass for doughnuts at Mrs Murphy’s or Donut Dip!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Think they still use lard in their cake donuts. l:D

Screenshot_20230621_055935.jpg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Don't remember most of the names but my son worked and lived outside of Providence from 2016-2019 and we hit a number of spots. I'm not saying that it was bad at all, just that where I grew up (a very Italian area with a number of quality spots) and the proximity to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx (and having been there countless times in my life) it would take something very special to qualify as something above and beyond what I can find in any of a number of little family run restaurants in the area.

I did enjoy the variety of southeast Asian restaurants around Brown and overall Providence was a nice area for someone in their early-mid 20's (my son's age then).

I did however take this picture to send to some co-workers. I hadn't had coniglio since I was a kid (did not try it there).

Screenshot 2023-06-21 070233.png

Reaction Score
Went to Fuoco a couple hours ago. It was slammed. I ordered a large cheese and ate it on the hood of my car. The owner was going to his pickup truck and came over and talked to me. Super nice guy, I asked if he grew up making pizzas at one of the New Haven joints and he said no. He made pizzas his whole life but he learned making pan pizzas. I told him he's going to need a bigger place and he should open in Chicago. He said he isn't changing anything. The pizza is excellent and he's a great dude.
I grew up with him. His parents owned four corners pizza, so he definitely was raised in the business.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
LOL Arthur Ave. That's tourist stuff.
Obviously you have no idea where to go when you're there.

There aren't any Arby's so I can see why you don't think that much of it. Maybe the day will arrive when you won't view franchise fast food as some ultimate gastronomic experience, if that day arrives maybe you'll be able to appreciate quality dining.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Obviously you have no idea where to go when you're there.

There aren't any Arby's so I can see why you don't think that much of it. Maybe the day will arrive when you won't view franchise fast food as some ultimate gastronomic experience, if that day arrives maybe you'll be able to appreciate quality dining.

sweet melt. Seriously. Arthur Ave is tourist stuff these days. For a while now. Like Mulberry. You can get a great meal in both locations just like you can get a great meal in Providence. Using Arthur Ave as your comparison for knowledge about Providence Italian food is showing your slip.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
sweet melt. Seriously. Arthur Ave is tourist stuff these days. For a while now. Like Mulberry. You can get a great meal in both locations just like you can get a great meal in Providence. Using Arthur Ave as your comparison for knowledge about Providence Italian food is showing your slip.
How recently are you talking with Arthur Ave? My first trip there was in the early 1970's, went quite often through the late 1990's, occasionally the subsequent decade and about a half dozen times over the past fifteen years (no exaggeration, I've been to Federal Hill more times the past five years than I've been to Arthur Ave the past twenty. It is nowhere near as touristy as Mulberry St unless something drastic has happened since COVID.

All I said was Federal Hill wasn't anything close to what all the acclaim would warrant. I'm sure you'll get over it.

Different people like different things, even within the same backgrounds. Metro NYC Italian American food is a little different than Providence, Boston and Philly and the futher removed you are, the greater the difference. A family friend (considerably older than me) took a job in Chicago many years ago. His family ran an Italian deli in Stamford that people from all areas would go to as nothing else came close. He was told about some great Italian restaurants in Chicago and wasn't fond of any of them (Chicago does have a large Italian population). I've been told by a few Polish Americans from the middle of Connecticut that they aren't fans of Polish food from Chicago so it isn't merely an Italian thing.

Go ahead, enjoy your Arby's, believe Federal Hill exceeds anything in the NY metro area and get ready for the basketball season, summer is going to fly by.

Reaction Score
LOL.

No its not different. Top level Northeast Italian is top level northeast Italian.

I lived IN THE BRONX, did you? show me your address? I lived 138th near Brook 1995. (which would make you shiver in your boots) I lived on the corner of Mott and Houston on the border of Little Italy and Chinatown in 93-94. You? I lived on Ave B and 7th from 1988 (during Tompkins square riots) to 92 (which would make you shiver in your boots) . And you want to tell me about the city?

I grew up a lot closer to the Bronx than FFC. LOL. (englewood/Tenafly)

Im over it. You are a fairfield county city pretender who pretends to know the city and brings other tourists there.
We just missed each other in the East Village. Second Ave & 4th Street from 96-99, just prior to the area’s complete makeover.

Sorry, but I had a good chuckle from the Englewood/Tenafly comment. As the crow flies, you are so right. But kids who grew up in Stamford in the 60s-80s exoerienced great Italian food. And I mean fantastic. I went to high school in the city with a bunch of kids from Englewood. The only area of the Bronx that registered with them was Fieldston/North Riverdale. Arthur Ave? No way.

Reaction Score
I may be one of the few, but I’m actually enjoying this conversation about great Italian restaurants. Similar to the conversation about great pizza, I side with those who say that you can get great Italian food in many cities in the Northeast. We are truly blessed. Sit back, relax and let’s get fat and happy together. It’s fun!!!

Reaction Score
How recently are you talking with Arthur Ave? My first trip there was in the early 1970's, went quite often through the late 1990's, occasionally the subsequent decade and about a half dozen times over the past fifteen years (no exaggeration, I've been to Federal Hill more times the past five years than I've been to Arthur Ave the past twenty. It is nowhere near as touristy as Mulberry St unless something drastic has happened since COVID.

All I said was Federal Hill wasn't anything close to what all the acclaim would warrant. I'm sure you'll get over it.

Different people like different things, even within the same backgrounds. Metro NYC Italian American food is a little different than Providence, Boston and Philly and the futher removed you are, the greater the difference. A family friend (considerably older than me) took a job in Chicago many years ago. His family ran an Italian deli in Stamford that people from all areas would go to as nothing else came close. He was told about some great Italian restaurants in Chicago and wasn't fond of any of them (Chicago does have a large Italian population). I've been told by a few Polish Americans from the middle of Connecticut that they aren't fans of Polish food from Chicago so it isn't merely an Italian thing.

Go ahead, enjoy your Arby's, believe Federal Hill exceeds anything in the NY metro area and get ready for the basketball season, summer is going to fly by.

what was the deli?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Getting back to pizza....

Anyone have feedback on Roseland?

View attachment 89112
Yes, getting back to pizza...

Screenshot_20230621-151644.png

From two Sundays ago, and it was delicious.

Extra points for them picking up the phone within 20 minutes of closing, and saying Yes when I called & told them Maps said I'd get there by 8:57 from Southford. The response was, "We'll be here cleaning up." I'd have been okay with a No, and arrived at 8:56.

I've had similar 'last pie of the night' accommodations from Ernie's and Olde World, each time asking with full acceptance in advance that it's the end of the working day, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to decline.

The guys at Olde World were holding the box outside the locked building with light off when I pulled into the parking lot that night. Service with all smiles.
Screenshot_20230621-151644.png

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We just missed each other in the East Village. Second Ave & 4th Street from 96-99, just prior to the area’s complete makeover.

Sorry, but I had a good chuckle from the Englewood/Tenafly comment. As the crow flies, you are so right. But kids who grew up in Stamford in the 60s-80s exoerienced great Italian food. And I mean fantastic. I went to high school in the city with a bunch of kids from Englewood. The only area of the Bronx that registered with them was Fieldston/North Riverdale. Arthur Ave? No way.
Ha you quoted me before the softer side of my heart deleted the post because I didn't want to give FCF a hard time any longer because he loves UConn as much as I do . :)

Reaction Score
I tried Jimmy's on New Haven Ave as a coin flip over Papa's while I was in Milford packing to move out from storage and set up home in Louisville.

I went with a Jimmy's Special (fresh tomato, bacon, and garlic), half red, half white. Nicely baked crust, balanced flavor, friendly people. Yet another good neighborhood pizza place.
This is exactly my point. Jimmy’s is uninspiring, but probably better than 95% of the pizzas I’ve had south or west of Philly. We’re blessed here in the Northeast.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This is exactly my point. Jimmy’s is uninspiring, but probably better than 95% of the pizzas I’ve had south or west of Philly. We’re blessed here in the Northeast.
Yeah, as a neighborhood go to, it's better than anything I've had in Louisville, where it's not all bad.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
But kids who grew up in Stamford in the 60s-80s exoerienced great Italian food. And I mean fantastic.
W. Broad St. - Pellicci's, The Open Door, The Brass Rail (semi-cooked pizza you finished baking at home). The Open Door was like being served by an army of nonnas. The Cove had a couple places. And even Springdale had Michael's on Camp Ave., which catered to low-level "connected" folks.

Reaction Score
W. Broad St. - Pellicci's, The Open Door, The Brass Rail (semi-cooked pizza you finished baking at home). The Open Door was like being served by an army of nonnas. The Cove had a couple places. And even Springdale had Michael's on Camp Ave., which catered to low-level "connected" folks.
Speaking of great pizza… @storrsroars not sure if you’ve read this, but I recommend. Should bring back some memories. Anthony Dolan parlayed his ballsy Stamford mafia-police corruption writing in the Stamford Advocate into a Pulitzer and a job as Reagan’s speech writer
FF04FD2D-B006-4A36-9CB8-D38A1CEFD583.jpeg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Speaking of great pizza… @storrsroars not sure if you’ve read this, but I recommend. Should bring back some memories. Anthony Dolan parlayed his ballsy Stamford mafia-police corruption writing in the Stamford Advocate into a Pulitzer and a job as Reagan’s speech writer
View attachment 89135
Wasn't aware of this. I'll definitely look for that. Too bad it's a few years late as my cousin was a desk sergeant for years. Would've loved to discuss it with him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom