OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 126 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Anyone been to Fire and Slice in Morris Cove? I think it is in the old "Joey's" space on Townsend...
Went once, en route back home from yoga at Cosey Beach. It's a combo pizza & BBQ joint. Legit enough, good option for locals.

In my case, I followed a curiosity & got smoked brisket on my pie. It gave me epic heartburn, but I blame myself more than I blame them.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Finally made it to Next Door in New Haven the other night. Wasn’t intending on getting pizza but figured I owed it to research. Got the escarole and bean pizza (with bacon and garlic) based on a friend’s recommendation. Very good. Excellent tooth to the crust and a nice char; could have been a touch more stiff for my tastes, but that’s probably tough to pull off with the moisture from the toppings. The bacon in particular was also great. Next time I’d like to try one with a red sauce and mozz base, but definitely a solid pie that holds its own with the other area “almost New Haven” pies and has its own take with the combos it offers.

Based on the bartender’s recommendation we also got the short rib fries and they were amazing.

I will be back. Good taps and a nice scene that’s a change of pace from the downtown places.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Did Sally's before JRAD Thursday night. 6pm Yale on break, 15 minute wait. Hadn't been in 10+ years. Super thin crusts (thinner than I remember), stayed crisp. . Tomato pie was spot on except a bit much tomato. Bacon and Sausage was well executed by the sausage was tasteless. 8.2/10.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did Sally's before JRAD Thursday night. 6pm Yale on break, 15 minute wait. Hadn't been in 10+ years. Super thin crusts (thinner than I remember), stayed crisp. . Tomato pie was spotonm except a bit much tomato. Bacon and Sausage was well executed by the sausage was tasteless. 8.2/10.
Ha! I did Next Door before JRAD. Great show, eh? Especially loved the Vampire Blues>Help>Slip>Hey Bulldog!>New Minglewood sequence to start the second set. Also the extended jam in Saint of Circumstance.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Did Sally's before JRAD Thursday night. 6pm Yale on break, 15 minute wait. Hadn't been in 10+ years. Super thin crusts (thinner than I remember), stayed crisp. . Tomato pie was spotonm except a bit much tomato. Bacon and Sausage was well executed by the sausage was tasteless. 8.2/10.

Good update. Any idea where Sally's is getting their sausage (ha, ha) these days? I don't think they make it in-house.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Good update. Any idea where Sally's is getting their sausage (ha, ha) these days? I don't think they make it in-house.
I don’t know about Sally’s, but I noted that Next Door uses Longhini pork sausage according to their menu. IIRC Modern uses Lamberti’s. I like both.

Reaction Score
Only New Haven pizza place left that makes their own sausage is Zuppardis.....posted this a while back, here it is again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I haven't been to Sally's in 20 years, but did hear some opinions that the new owners might have tweaked the recipe, since the Consiglio family sold it.

Reaction Score
I assume it's been mentioned somewhere in these 126 pages, but that's a lot of reading through. I just moved to Stamford, any recommendations on where to go for pizza?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I assume it's been mentioned somewhere in these 126 pages, but that's a lot of reading through. I just moved to Stamford, any recommendations on where to go for pizza?

Ah, you're in my old stomping grounds.

You're either gonna love or hate Colony. If you're from Boston or northern NJ, you're probably familiar with bar/tavern style. If not, you may well think "wtf". For me, I grew up with Colony, and even though I don't consider it "best pizza", it's a unique taste/texture I miss like crazy being out here in Pgh. I try to always get there at least once when I'm back in CT. Ridgeway Pizza in Belltown and Riko's in Glenbrook are Colony knockoffs.

Other than that, Coalhouse and Remo's are both good for a more traditional Neopolitan. If you're up in the Springdale area, I'd also check out Amore's. I haven't been there since it reopened, but I used to go to the old Amore's which was very good. Bruno diFabio started there a long time ago and since became a TV pizza star and reopened the place 2-3 years ago. I've heard good things.

You can also find Greek pizza, which another uniquely New England thing at Hope Pizza in Glenbrook. Try it, make up your own mind. It's very popular and about once a decade I get a jones for it.

And while the content on the Stamford Pizza Tour is about 10 years old, it's probably worth your while to take a look.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ah, you're in my old stomping grounds.

You're either gonna love or hate Colony. If you're from Boston or northern NJ, you're probably familiar with bar/tavern style. If not, you may well think "wtf". For me, I grew up with Colony, and even though I don't consider it "best pizza", it's a unique taste/texture I miss like crazy being out here in Pgh. I try to always get there at least once when I'm back in CT. Ridgeway Pizza in Belltown and Riko's in Glenbrook are Colony knockoffs.

Other than that, Coalhouse and Remo's are both good for a more traditional Neopolitan. If you're up in the Springdale area, I'd also check out Amore's. I haven't been there since it reopened, but I used to go to the old Amore's which was very good. Bruno diFabio started there a long time ago and since became a TV pizza star and reopened the place 2-3 years ago. I've heard good things.

You can also find Greek pizza, which another uniquely New England thing at Hope Pizza in Glenbrook. Try it, make up your own mind. It's very popular and about once a decade I get a jones for it.

And while the content on the Stamford Pizza Tour is about 10 years old, it's probably worth your while to take a look.
I've had Riko's a few times already since I've been working in Stamford for the past year or so, so Colony is definitely on my list to try. Pretty much agree with your assessment, wouldn't consider it the best pizza but it's a nice change and pretty good.

Remo's is the closest one to my apartment so that'll likely be the next one I try. Appreciate all the suggestions, big help

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score

Port Chester. NY.

Reaction Score
Finally made it to Next Door in New Haven the other night. Wasn’t intending on getting pizza but figured I owed it to research. Got the escarole and bean pizza (with bacon and garlic) based on a friend’s recommendation. Very good. Excellent tooth to the crust and a nice char; could have been a touch more stiff for my tastes, but that’s probably tough to pull off with the moisture from the toppings. The bacon in particular was also great. Next time I’d like to try one with a red sauce and mozz base, but definitely a solid pie that holds its own with the other area “almost New Haven” pies and has its own take with the combos it offers.

Based on the bartender’s recommendation we also got the short rib fries and they were amazing.

I will be back. Good taps and a nice scene that’s a change of pace from the downtown places.
You know this thread would be about 10X better if any of you ever took some damn pictures of the delicious sounding food you are eating.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You know this thread would be about 10X better if any of you ever took some damn pictures of the delicious sounding food you are eating.
I am pretty terrible about taking pictures in general. I am usually too absorbed in the moment.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ha! I did Next Door before JRAD. Great show, eh? Especially loved the Vampire Blues>Help>Slip>Hey Bulldog!>New Minglewood sequence to start the second set. Also the extended jam in Saint of Circumstance.
We did the Beer Collective before JRAD. Food was very good and my son enjoyed the tap menu. Stopped at Counter Weight before hitting New Haven
The show was nice and had a decent flow. One of the better shows on this tour, St Louis in February will be hard to beat. Will see the band next at Levitate in July

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We did the Beer Collective before JRAD. Food was very good and my son enjoyed the tap menu. Stopped at Counter Weight before hitting New Haven
The show was nice and had a decent flow. One of the better shows on this tour, St Louis in February will be hard to beat. Will see the band next at Levitate in July
Beer Collective is my usual, and that was the other option we were considering, but the novelty of and better cider on tap at Next Door won out. We had intended to stop by Beer Collective for a quick one before heading into the show and submitting to $10 cans but we lingered too long at Next Door and headed straight for the venue instead so we could secure a nice perch for the show. I was glad we did because it got pretty packed.

I love the band and have yet to tire of seeing them after several shows in various venues and states over the past few years. As I've said before, they are the best form of Grateful Dead music these ears have heard since Jerry died (and probably even a few years before that, tbh). I like the Bobby songs better with Scott performing them, and Joe is a monster and mad scientist. Marco seems to be having as much fun as ever and Dave remains solid and underrated with a great groove. Tom seemed to have been a little less prominent than I recalled, and I didn't mind that. I think it had been almost a year since I had last seen them; but I saw Bustle In Your Hedgerow a few months ago and thought that was great, too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom