OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 128 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but Ernies is a real gem. Family has been going for years.

As for NYC, I’m hard pressed to think of a better place than Lucali in Brooklyn. Yes, the wait can be long but the pizza can’t be missed. Tons of fresh ingredients and topped with fresh basil.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
TBH, Star was approached with great anticipation (as along the way and due for a special stop because it was on a Top 10 NJ list) so I arrived with high expectations that I'd be eating a contender against my favorites from NH/CT & 4 Boroughs/LI. As such, I still haven't eaten great pizza in NJ or Staten Island, though I'm told it's there and I believe it. Recommendations appreciated.

Most of my NJ pizza experience was from 2016-17 when I was in Montclair quite often. Probably tried 15 places within a 20 minute drive. Other than Santillo's and Star, nothing I'd go out of my way to order again. I do have friends who's taste in pizza I respect who have suggested places in Hoboken, but that was a bit out of my way.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but Ernies is a real gem. Family has been going for years.

As for NYC, I’m hard pressed to think of a better place than Lucali in Brooklyn. Yes, the wait can be long but the pizza can’t be missed. Tons of fresh ingredients and topped with fresh basil.

ernie's is good! that's my neighborhood spot. it's honestly a little cheese-heavy for my taste, but they have cheap beer and the atmosphere in there is great.

bummed i missed the caplan thing at next door.

Reaction Score
ernie's is good! that's my neighborhood spot. it's honestly a little cheese-heavy for my taste, but they have cheap beer and the atmosphere in there is great.

bummed i missed the caplan thing at next door.
I tried Ernie's once. It was good. But the pizza didn't have enough sauce on it.
Sauce was only half way down the slice.

Reaction Score
Most of my NJ pizza experience was from 2016-17 when I was in Montclair quite often. Probably tried 15 places within a 20 minute drive. Other than Santillo's and Star, nothing I'd go out of my way to order again. I do have friends who's taste in pizza I respect who have suggested places in Hoboken, but that was a bit out of my way.

Know it’s a trek from Montclair but I’ve been hearing about Razza in Jersey City. Want to check it out soon..

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For the record, I sampled from more than a dozen pies, all good and beyond

I departed with 5 slices in a takeout box provided at the end of the evening, and only one of the room temp leftovers made it to the fridge. Three were eaten in the 15 minute ride home, and I was full when I'd walked out. This morning's white sausage & broccoli rabe. reheated in the toaster oven was excellent.

Though I've got nothing to offer the beer thread, I had two different enjoyable pilseners, and sample a vinegar cider, a tasty dark something, and at least a couple others from among 30+ on tap.

Colin Caplan's presentation was low key & fun. I'm a fan, and look forward to the NH Docs June 1st screening of "Pizza: A Love Story," of which he's a co-producer w/filmmaker Gorman Bechard and musician Dean Falcone, whose other work (like Caplan's) also impresses.
Went back to Next Door the other night with a group of us for one of my daughter’s birthday dinner. Got a few good apps and an entree along with three different pies: Fresh Mozz; Mashed Potato; and Rabe and Sausage (ordered red instead of white). All were good to very good, but I was surprised at the sag of the crust on each. You couldn’t even lift a slice of any of them with one hand without the toppings falling off. Nonetheless, very tasty. Brought home a few slices of each, and all were better the next day after reheating at 425 for around five minutes in convection toaster oven, which rendered the crust much stiffer than it had been in the restaurant the night before when fresh out of the oven the first time.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Went back to Next Door the other night with a group of us for one of my daughter’s birthday dinner. Got a few good apps and an entree along with three different pies: Fresh Mozz; Mashed Potato; and Rabe and Sausage (ordered red instead of white). All were good to very good, but I was surprised at the sag of the crust on each. You couldn’t even lift a slice of any of them with one hand without the toppings falling off. Nonetheless, very tasty. Brought home a few slices of each, and all were better the next day after reheating at 425 for around five minutes in convection toaster oven, which rendered the crust much stiffer than it had been in the restaurant the night before when fresh out of the oven the first time.
Finally went to Zinc Kitchen last night (friends' choice after YUAG). Tasty seasonal white clam pie, but even saggier than Next Door. And even the second set of dishes & flatware offered to us was in need of a better dishwasher beforehand.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Finally went to Zinc Kitchen last night (friends' choice after YUAG). Tasty seasonal white clam pie, but even saggier than Next Door. And even the second set of dishes & flatware offered to us was in need of a better dishwasher beforehand.
I’ve been there a few times and had good meals but have never had the pizza. A trusted friend recently told me to try it; I think she mentioned fig and speck so I’ve been hoping to get there to try that. Thanks for the sag warning though. I will keep my expectations in check.

Reaction Score
Went to First & Last in Glastonbury last week. I was under the impression the pizza was good. Got a Margherita...it was pretty horrible. SMOTHERED in sauce.

Reaction Score
Went to First & Last in Glastonbury last week. I was under the impression the pizza was good. Got a Margherita...it was pretty horrible. SMOTHERED in sauce.
I had a couple pizzas from there about 6 weeks ago and they weren't very good either. I always liked the pizza at the one in the South End of Hartford. Is the Glastonbury one just not as good?

Reaction Score
Ate Mystic Pizza this past weekend. Brutal.

The MP in downtown W MYstic is a fraud capitalizing on name. The REAL MP (movie) was on Water St in Stonington. And, it's not tooooo goood.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The MP in downtown W MYstic is a fraud capitalizing on name. The REAL MP (movie) was on Water St in Stonington. And, it's not tooooo goood.

Well except for the fact that the mystic pizza in mystic was there 15 years before the movie, and the stonington location was a fabricated movie set , not a pizza place, your take would be spot on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don’t get me going on this abomination. Please.

There are actually not bad if you know what you are getting ahead of time... have had Colvitto’s in Narragansett and it’s not bad w/ coffee in the morning or as an afternoon snack w/ wine/beer salami and provolone after a day @ Scarborough. All depends on the sauce. Bad sauce makes bad pizza regardless of amount of cheese or lack thereof/thickness of crust.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There are actually not bad if you know what you are getting ahead of time... have had Colvitto’s in Narragansett and it’s not bad w/ coffee in the morning or as an afternoon snack w/ wine/beer after day @ Scarborough.
All depends on the sauce. Bad sauce makes bad pizza regardless of cheese/thickness of crust.
It became a thing with a good friend of mine who was born and raised in RI: I would do my schtick about how terrible it is and she would insist that it had its place. A few summers ago when we were on vacation in Rhode Island she brought me a box of strips from Colvitto’s as the host present when we had her, her husband and their son over for dinner. It was well worth the laughs, and I had to admit that it was “shockingly decent.” Their son was so amused by my reaction that “shockingly decent” has taken on a life of its own among us.

Reaction Score
It became a thing with a good friend of mine who was born and raised in RI: I would do my schtick about how terrible it is and she would insist that it had its place. A few summers ago when we were on vacation in Rhode Island she brought me a box of strips from Colvitto’s as the host present when we had her, her husband and their son over for dinner. It was well worth the laughs, and I had to admit that it was “shockingly decent.” Their son was so amused by my reaction that “shockingly decent” has taken on a life of its own among us.

Colvitto’s also makes/bakes the best pepper breadsticks I have ever had. Always grab a few bags on the way out to bring home to CT.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Colvitto’s also makes/bakes the best pepper breadsticks I have ever had. Always grab a few bags on the way out to bring home to CT.
Thanks. Will look for them this summer.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Do you mean frezzales or biscott? Apologies for the spelling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom