OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 125 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@8893
I'm thinking of heading to Modern tomorrow. How is the eggplant prepared on that pizza you rave about?
Sliced thin and fried. I’m crazy picky about eggplant because it’s a texture thing for me. I hate baba ganoush, ratatouille and grilled eggplant. But the artichoke hearts are just as is. Makes for a nice combo.

Reaction Score
Sliced thin and fried. I’m crazy picky about eggplant because it’s a texture thing for me. I hate baba ganoush, ratatouille and grilled eggplant. But the artichoke hearts are just as is. Makes for a nice combo.

This was my hope. Thanks

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This was my hope. Thanks
Remember to ask for it well done. I also ask for light mozz if I am getting anything larger than a small, to minimize the risk of sag.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Last night I used a DoorDash coupon code before its midnight expiration. After my swim in Woodbridge, I opened the app, ordered a well done half plain tomato and half red broccoli & cheese medium pizza from Modern. With the waived delivery fee, the promotional discount, and a generous tip, it cost $3-4 less than if I'd called in and picked up my pie from nearby Ernie's. My next time around, it'll cost me $10+ more than Ernie's.

Modern has always traveled well, and the pizza came more quickly than they'd promised (with multiple txt notifications throughout the process). I was so hungry and it tasted so good that I ate all but two slices at a lukewarm temperature. A good experience.

Worth the premium for a single pizza? Probably not, but good to know that I have the option if I don't want to go out or drive cross town, and certainly if multiple pies are considered.

Reaction Score
Last night I used a DoorDash coupon code before its midnight expiration. After my swim in Woodbridge, I opened the app, ordered a well done half plain tomato and half red broccoli & cheese medium pizza from Modern. With the waived delivery fee, the promotional discount, and a generous tip, it cost $3-4 less than if I'd called in and picked up my pie from nearby Ernie's. My next time around, it'll cost me $10+ more than Ernie's.

If I could get a fresh Modern pie delivered to my door regulary I would have to swim in the Hudson as I would be too poor to afford a membership at gym with a pool and the Hudson would be just wide enough to fit my expanded girth after about a month.

Reaction Score
Remember to ask for it well done. I also ask for light mozz if I am getting anything larger than a small, to minimize the risk of sag.

Hate sag!:eek:

Really need to ask Modern for "well done"? Always remember perfect burn to theirs in the areas of necessity.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hate sag!:eek:

Really need to ask Modern for "well done"? Always remember perfect burn to theirs in the areas of necessity.
In my experience there is around a 30% chance of getting too much cheese or not well done enough at Modern if you don’t specify. The odds seem to increase at the busiest times. But I am only talking takeout here. It has never been a problem when eating in.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You want to know how to really reduce the risk of sag?

Go to Sally's
The best way to avoid sag is to only order small pizzas. I have an old friend who will never order anything else for that reason; and that is why Bufalina only makes smalls.

And as I posted above, it has only been an issue with takeout; never in a million years would I order takeout from Sally's.

You should open a pizza place named "Sally Bobby's"

Reaction Score
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, my family owns Roselands and while I find some of the comments above to be offensive and some untrue I guess that’s the restaurant business.

Nothing has changed about the pizza since we opened in 1935. We use the same fresh ingredients we did back then and we have had the same guys slinging pies since the 1980’s. Maybe they’re losing their touch, but I don’t think that’s the case.

In terms of the service I do think we can be better. It’s most of my family and the third generation that you will see waiting tables. They are older now and I agree they could be a handful and need to be better but myself and the 4th generation are starting to slowly do things our way and I hope any of you that have had prior bad experiences will come back and give us a second chance.

The pizza is great but we do other dishes too. I would appreciate if some fellow bone yarders would come in to try it out some time and I promise we will do our best to make you’re experience great!

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
You want to know how to really reduce the risk of sag?

Go to Sally's

It can be nearly impossible to call in an order at Sally's. Someone once told me that when they get busy they'll take the phone off the hook so that it's always busy when people try to call in.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It can be nearly impossible to call in an order at Sally's. Someone once told me that when they get busy they'll take the phone off the hook so that it's always busy when people try to call in.

You dont have the secret number?

Noob.

:)

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Nothing to do with "Best" pizza, and it's not even in CT, but it was interesting, nonetheless.
A few (maybe more like 7 or 8, now that I think about it) years back, I'm coming down Rte 22 in NY, heading home from Ticonderoga. There's a Barbecue joint/burger stand that I often stop at on the way home right near the corner of 295.
Excellent dogs, decent burgers, great fries, superb pulled pork, mediocre brisket. Haven't tried ribs there. But it's the only place I know of I can get a really good dog with pulled pork on it.
Well, this time, they had a new conveyor belt pizza cooker. I asked the cook, how's the pizza? She says, "It's about as good a you would expect pizza from a conveyor belt in a barbecue joint to be. But order the pulled pork special and I guarantee it'll be the best pulled pork pizza you ever had." I figured what the heck, and tried it. It really was the best pulled pork pizza I ever had. And the only one. But the secret was that it was a white pie, and you could barely find the crust under the mountain of pork, bbq sauce and slaw.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, my family owns Roselands and while I find some of the comments above to be offensive and some untrue I guess that’s the restaurant business.

Nothing has changed about the pizza since we opened in 1935. We use the same fresh ingredients we did back then and we have had the same guys slinging pies since the 1980’s. Maybe they’re losing their touch, but I don’t think that’s the case.

In terms of the service I do think we can be better. It’s most of my family and the third generation that you will see waiting tables. They are older now and I agree they could be a handful and need to be better but myself and the 4th generation are starting to slowly do things our way and I hope any of you that have had prior bad experiences will come back and give us a second chance.

The pizza is great but we do other dishes too. I would appreciate if some fellow bone yarders would come in to try it out some time and I promise we will do our best to make you’re experience great!
I will vouch that the fresh pasta dishes are also very good, and huge.

Just for reference, can you give a somewhat recent "market price" on the seafood pie? Last time I had it was probably around 15 years ago and I believe it was around $50 then. Curious what it's up to these days.

Reaction Score
I will vouch that the fresh pasta dishes are also very good, and huge.

Just for reference, can you give a somewhat recent "market price" on the seafood pie? Last time I had it was probably around 15 years ago and I believe it was around $50 then. Curious what it's up to these days.
Thank you!

For the seafood pie it’s up to $70 now. I know that sounds insane but you really do get what you pay for. If some of you haven’t seen it it’s a pretty ridiculous amount of lobster, shrimp, and scallops on a pizza. We make more off our cheese pies than we do this one honestly. This is more of something you get on a special occasion.

I know some people have mentioned that we’re pricey. But our portions are huge and our ingredients are top notch. We don’t try to rip people off.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thank you!

For the seafood pie it’s up to $70 now. I know that sounds insane but you really do get what you pay for. If some of you haven’t seen it it’s a pretty ridiculous amount of lobster, shrimp, and scallops on a pizza. We make more off our cheese pies than we do this one honestly. This is more of something you get on a special occasion.

I know some people have mentioned that we’re pricey. But our portions are huge and our ingredients are top notch. We don’t try to rip people off.
Thank you. I agree that your portions are huge and the ingredients I have had there have always been quality.

And as a frequent buyer of fresh seafood I believe you when you say that you have a lower margin (percentage-wise) on your cheese pies. I probably mentioned this years ago in this same thread, but the last time I had your seafood pie there were two pieces left over. We took them home of course, and as you know they are not huge slices on that pie. The next night we had guests coming over for dinner, so I cut those two pieces into several one-inch shapes and served them as hors d'oeuvres for our dinner guests. It was a huge hit and no one could believe that they had originally come from a pizza.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Just picking up my @8893 certified pie from Modern and making sure I have a little room left over for Pepe's tonight.

IMO, Pepe's is better than Modern when they get it right, but their pies can be pretty inconsistent

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

That's standard policy at lots of pizza places it seems. Colony Stamford has been doing it since at least the 70s. Friend of mine who owns a popular place around here does it too.

Reaction Score
IMO, Pepe's is better than Modern when they get it right, but their pies can be pretty inconsistent

I have only been to Modern and Sally's once each and Pepe's probably well over 200 times so I dont have an informed opinion. The specialty pie I had from Modern was great but I can't compare that to a traditional pie at Pepe's. Pepe's, at least Fairfield, is wildly inconsistent. Ordering well-done creates a better pizza on average but its still hit and miss, probably 2 good pies, 1 great pie and one decent pie per month for me from there. If someone asked me to recommend a pizza joint for them to visit I would probably say Pepe's in New Haven but if I can get whatever I want, I am probably getting a hot oil pie.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Anyone been to Fire and Slice in Morris Cove? I think it is in the old "Joey's" space on Townsend...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom