So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Holy crap is So Cal boy still gloating about having the best beer?

“West Coast” IPAs were HUGE. Like ten-plus years ago.

“New England style” IPAs have dominated the landscape since then.

If you want to know when each jumped the shark, just look at when Sam Adams felt the need to put out its own “West Coast style,” i.e., “Rebel,” and now its own “New England style,” which means that style is on its way out soon, too.
Rebel IPA was nasty when it came out. The recipe was changed as it was juiced up a lot. Now very tasty.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It's probably been mentioned somewhere in this 107 page thread, but has anyone been to Fat Orange Cat in East Hampton? A friend of mine had a couple of their beers and said they were very good. Looks like it's a very small farm brewery with limited hours. Web site says they're not even open during the winter. What's it like at the brewery? Can you taste there? Just buy? A relative lives very close to there so I wanted to stop by after April 1 when they re-open.
During the winter they go to farmer's markets offering tastes. This winter they go to one in Niantic. So they never stop brewing.

During the spring and summer they draw big, friendly crowds. They brew NEIPA's out the ass. But they are all good. If he has 6 available there is a chance that four taste similar. My fave, "Worthy Opponent" is not on the common rotation.

At the brewery you can pay $5 and get 5 4oz pours in a 10oz. glass that you keep.

Reaction Score
I don't do many brewpub visits as wifey isn't much on beer. But went to one today, paid $6 for a mediocre farmhouse saison redolent of a well circulated 1967 Jefferson nickel.

Anyway, I'm looking at the bar and I see growler options in 32 & 64oz and 32oz cans.

Pardon my ignorance, but is 32oz cans actually a thing? And if so why?

They're called "crowlers". Cheaper equipment setup for the small craft brewery to start "canning" on demand. Lasts longer/stays fresher longer than a 32-oz traditional growler fill

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
They're called "crowlers". Cheaper equipment setup for the small craft brewery to start "canning" on demand. Lasts longer/stays fresher longer than a 32-oz traditional growler fill

OK. I'm assuming these are consumed in a social setting amongst friends and not just knocked down by a solo drinker? I'd have no use for it as I don't consume more than 24oz n a given night and usually only 12oz. I'll usually drink a 32oz growler over 3 days.

I just read a couple articles about it. Is it really all that hard for people to sanitize a growler bottle? Seems like more trash for the recycling stream. But that's just me. I'm old and well beyond hipster age.

Reaction Score
OK. I'm assuming these are consumed in a social setting amongst friends and not just knocked down by a solo drinker? I'd have no use for it as I don't consume more than 24oz n a given night and usually only 12oz. I'll usually drink a 32oz growler over 3 days.

I just read a couple articles about it. Is it really all that hard for people to sanitize a growler bottle? Seems like more trash for the recycling stream. But that's just me. I'm old and well beyond hipster age.

Yes the intent is really to serve as a shareable quantity of beer that would have a longer shelf life than a traditional growler fill. But once it's open, you've gotta drink it all as it's not resealable like a growler.

Agree that its not as enviro-friendly as growlers.

Growlers are super-easy to keep clean as long as you're not lazy about rinsing them out as soon as they're empty.

If you do happen to forget and they get funky, throw a tablespoon or so of Oxy-Clean into it, fill it up with hot water, and let it sit for a day or so. Rinse well and it'll be good as new.

Reaction Score
I just made a last minute run to the nearest bodega and they were fully stocked with Sip of Sunshine. Amazing how much they have increased their distribution in the past months. Now it's not even the best IPA in stock anywhere.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I had a double Burst from Fox Farms on tap last night. I had Burst in the past. Very fruity up front. Very drinkable. The double is similar but with a higher alcohol content.

Fox Farms is super impressive.

Anyone in this thread who is comparing nano breweries in other parts of the country solely against Treehouse and Trillium is overlooking that we have nano breweries here too.

Reaction Score
It's probably been mentioned somewhere in this 107 page thread, but has anyone been to Fat Orange Cat in East Hampton? A friend of mine had a couple of their beers and said they were very good. Looks like it's a very small farm brewery with limited hours. Web site says they're not even open during the winter. What's it like at the brewery? Can you taste there? Just buy? A relative lives very close to there so I wanted to stop by after April 1 when they re-open.

Never been but I’ve had severe tire damage. Very good ipa

Reaction Score
I just made a last minute run to the nearest bodega and they were fully stocked with Sip of Sunshine. Amazing how much they have increased their distribution in the past months. Now it's not even the best IPA in stock anywhere.

Max bev has 4 packs of it for 11.99 now. It’s very much mass produced and distributed now. I still like it but everyone is into the unfiltered, hazy stuff now. Still nothing better than a fresh captains daughter

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

It's not bigger than a Big Gulp and hardly anyone share those. Just get a decent sized brown bag and have at it.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
So I went on another treehouse binge tonight.

Anyone have hurricane yet?
DIPA. It's a good beer but I wasn't overwhelmed by treehouse standards.
I actually have a theory about them and all the new releases. Hang on ...

6524cc26-41b2-4209-b2ff-170b714db984

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not sure how long it's been available up north North but stores down south are stocking Sam Adams' '76. Part lager, part ale. Comes in cans. Perfect for beaches, boats and golf.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes the intent is really to serve as a shareable quantity of beer that would have a longer shelf life than a traditional growler fill. But once it's open, you've gotta drink it all as it's not resealable like a growler.

Agree that its not as enviro-friendly as growlers.

Growlers are super-easy to keep clean as long as you're not lazy about rinsing them out as soon as they're empty.

If you do happen to forget and they get funky, throw a tablespoon or so of Oxy-Clean into it, fill it up with hot water, and let it sit for a day or so. Rinse well and it'll be good as new.

I like the Crowlers. I think they are more environmentally friendly, since aluminum recycling is so efficient. I hate growlers because the big ones are too big, and in Massachusetts you have to have separate ones for each brewery. Carting those back and forth is ridiculous. The Crowlers help speed things too, as they can be pre-filled during slow times.

Reaction Score
Kaman's across the street from Whole Foods in Glastonbury has Fat Orange Cat cans available in their beer cave. Plenty of other good stuff as well.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Was in in the Stowe/Waterbury/Waitsfield VT beer corridor for a tremendous weekend of skiing. As usual, the NEIPA scene continues to boom there with perhaps a half dozen or so new (to me) breweries, in addition to ol' reliables like Hill Farmstead, Lawson's and Alchemist. Most impressive and refreshing to me, however, were the number of Pilsners and other lagers now on offer all around the area.

Von Trapp's new brewery (right around the corner from the Alchemist, which makes for a convenient two-fer) is gorgeous and their beers--all traditional lagers--are excellent. Their Pilsner was my favorite, followed by their Weissbier and Helles. Food was very good, too.

Hill Farmstead had a bunch of non-IPAs, most notable being "Mary," their excellent Pilsner. Their Biere de Mars was also outstanding. I also loved their "Shirley Mae," a porter on nitro.

Blackback Pub in Waterbury also had Rothaus Pils from Germany on tap and it was fantastic.

Queen City Brewery from Burlington was a new one to me, and their Hefewiezen was also terrific.

As for new APAs/IPAs, Upper Pass's First Drop was very popular and tasted like the most grapefruity beer I've had in a while; and River Roost out of White River Junction was another popular new one with a lot of offerings throughout the area. Foley Brothers Grumpy Wench was probably the best one I tasted on this trip, but I didn't drink a ton of them and mostly sampled.

August_West

Reaction Score
2 excellent Beers............. The Trail Magic is very interesting because it is a foray into Pilsner. I didnt get a full on take of it because I tried it AFTER the In perp and Hurricane (Mistake!) but it is a nice coiffable Pilsner that I could see going down easy in summer months out of a cooler.

So my Treehouse theory.... So many new labels after the move!!! And they are all good. But there isnt a huge variation in them. I think they Brew for their flagships while tweaking out the new setup and if something becomes a little different than the original beer they are intending to brew, that they just make up a new name and label and the custies go nuts buying up!
Brilliant.

1hoZPOE.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
NEIPAs out; Pilsners in.

This will be the ultimate irony for my Sam-Adams-Aping-Your-Style-Means-Death-Knell theory. After heralding the jumping of the shark for West Coast and New England IPAs, Sam Adams appears to have forced the making of lagers that are far superior to the example that first put Sam Adams on the map.

Reaction Score
2 excellent Beers... The Trail Magic is very interesting because it is a foray into Pilsner. I didnt get a full on take of it because I tried it AFTER the In perp and Hurricane (Mistake!) but it is a nice coiffable Pilsner that I could see going down easy in summer months out of a cooler.

So my Treehouse theory.... So many new labels after the move!!! And they are all good. But there isnt a huge variation in them. I think they Brew for their flagships while tweaking out the new setup and if something becomes a little different than the original beer they are intending to brew, that they just make up a new name and label and the custies go nuts buying up!
Brilliant.

1hoZPOE.jpg
i figured that's why there have 44 or so 'Curiosity'

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Was in in the Stowe/Waterbury/Waitsfield VT beer corridor for a tremendous weekend of skiing. As usual, the NEIPA scene continues to boom there with perhaps a half dozen or so new (to me) breweries, in addition to ol' reliables like Hill Farmstead, Lawson's and Alchemist. Most impressive and refreshing to me, however, were the number of Pilsners and other lagers now on offer all around the area.

Von Trapp's new brewery (right around the corner from the Alchemist, which makes for a convenient two-fer) is gorgeous and their beers--all traditional lagers--are excellent. Their Pilsner was my favorite, followed by their Weissbier and Helles. Food was very good, too.

Hill Farmstead had a bunch of non-IPAs, most notable being "Mary," their excellent Pilsner. Their Biere de Mars was also outstanding. I also loved their "Shirley Mae," a porter on nitro.

Blackback Pub in Waterbury also had Rothaus Pils from Germany on tap and it was fantastic.

Queen City Brewery from Burlington was a new one to me, and their Hefewiezen was also terrific.

As for new APAs/IPAs, Upper Pass's First Drop was very popular and tasted like the most grapefruity beer I've had in a while; and River Roost out of White River Junction was another popular new one with a lot of offerings throughout the area. Foley Brothers Grumpy Wench was probably the best one I tasted on this trip, but I didn't drink a ton of them and mostly sampled.

Did you even ski?

I used to be able to pound beers, but damn, dude.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
NEIPAs out; Pilsners in.

This will be the ultimate irony for my Sam-Adams-Aping-Your-Style-Means-Death-Knell theory. After heralding the jumping of the shark for West Coast and New England IPAs, Sam Adams appears to have forced the making of lagers that are far superior to the example that first put Sam Adams on the map.

Problem I have with a lot of the pilseners/lagers made by micros is that they're simply not good enough to justify the price difference between them and the macros or regionals.

I sing their praises often, but for lagers/pilseners, Great Lakes is still my go-to. Easily accessible here, not sure about CT. But their Dortmunder Gold (Helles) and Elliot Ness (Vienna Amber) are excellent examples of micro lagers and more fairly priced than the Stone/Lagunitas lagers out there, at least in Pgh.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did you even ski?

I used to be able to pound beers, but damn, dude.

Friday of this trip is always a beer adventure day. Skied Saturday and Sunday.

But funny you mention that; I commented several times this weekend how much I love ski days because it is such great exercise that it gives me license to eat and drink whatever I want with impunity. But after I stepped on the scale this morning for the first time in four days and observed a five-pound gain, I was reminded that I often misjudge just how much license I have to overdo it. And I ate a ton of great meats all weekend as well, which is not usual for me. Oh, and I didn't mention the ciders, either...

Problem I have with a lot of the pilseners/lagers made by micros is that they're simply not good enough to justify the price difference between them and the macros or regionals.

I sing their praises often, but for lagers/pilseners, Great Lakes is still my go-to. Easily accessible here, not sure about CT. But their Dortmunder Gold (Helles) and Elliot Ness (Vienna Amber) are excellent examples of micro lagers and more fairly priced than the Stone/Lagunitas lagers out there, at least in Pgh.

I don't drink enough of any beer any more for it to make a significant difference for me, but I recall liking Penn Pilsner a lot, and they have been doing it for longer than craft beer has been a thing. As a Yinzer I would have expected Penn to be on your go-to list for lagers.

Reaction Score

In my opinion there’s a big difference between a great stout and IPA to justify the cost difference.

But lagers, pilsners, porters, etc show much less of variance in quality.

August_West

Reaction Score
In my opinion there’s a big difference between a great stout and IPA to justify the cost difference.

But lagers, pilsners, porters, etc shoe much less of variance in quality.

Agreed. I liked that Treehouse Pilsner a lot, but not enough to put 8 cans of it at 4 dollars a can in my cooler while Im sitting at the beach watching my daughter surf when I can put a twelve pack in there for 1/2 the price.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom