Beer | Page 116 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
at what point is the market way too oversaturated with craft beer?

Well, never. Because it drives innovation which is a good thing.

However, the drawback is that every schmo is throwing up a sign these days and making craft beer and so much of it is underwhelming.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I scored two crowlers from Fat Orange Cat last night from a package store in Marlborough. I drank one which was a 7.6 ABV New England IPA called Consensus. Darn good. Looking forward to checking out their brewery in East Hampton this year. I have a coworker who has been talking this place up since it opened last year. Consensus set the bar pretty high, as its either the, or at least one of the, best New England IPAs I've had from a Connecticut brewery.
He's on my radar since I am a Bellringer kid. He goes to the Colchester Farmer's Market if you want to meet him.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

However, the drawback is that every schmo is throwing up a sign these days and making craft beer and so much of it is underwhelming.

I'm in a suburb six miles south of Pittsburgh proper. I can easily ride my bike to five microbreweries without getting within two miles of the city proper. And it's soon to be seven.

And I'd still rather look for Left Hand or Great Lakes at the store rather than buy the stuff these micros are putting out.

Nothing against innovation, but the "craft" in a lot of these new craft breweries could use some work.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm in a suburb six miles south of Pittsburgh proper. I can easily ride my bike to five microbreweries without getting within two miles of the city proper. And it's soon to be seven.

And I'd still rather look for Left Hand or Great Lakes at the store rather than buy the stuff these micros are putting out.

Nothing against innovation, but the "craft" in a lot of these new craft breweries could use some work.

Its getting harder to wade through the dreck, thats for sure.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

The biggest problem is big craft beer brands that are no better than "ok" moving in and displacing others. The latest here in Mass is New Belgium. It's getting a huge push from distributors and a prime placement in shops. I give it six months before they dial that back and realize it's nothing special and nobody is excited for it.

I'm increasingly narrowing what I'll buy. Local stuff from MA and VT, and Lagunitas. That's pretty much it now.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Yup. I can live with 10 mediocre breweries opening up if it means one awesome one jumps into the crowd.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Anyone try Counterweight's IPA yet? I've been looking for it but apparently they're having issues getting the product into the market. The guy at my local packy says he's seen pictures of it poured and it looks incredible. It's the guy from NEBCO that has branched off on his own; can't wait to try it.

Reaction Score
I did. I posted above that I was going to be at J. Timothy's and figured you'd see it and respond with suggestions since nobody knows the local beer scene like you. I was going to PM you but figured you'd see the post. I was there for my nephew's surprise birthday party for about 3 1/2 hours. Was with the whole family so I don't think it would have gone over too tell if I had taken off to the bar to have a few with you. It would have been more fun but I would have gotten $hlt for it.

What...you think I live and die with the "best beer" BY thread???? :D we'll hook up some time soon I hope.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem is big craft beer brands that are no better than "ok" moving in and displacing others. The latest here in Mass is New Belgium. It's getting a huge push from distributors and a prime placement in shops. I give it six months before they dial that back and realize it's nothing special and nobody is excited for it.

I'm increasingly narrowing what I'll buy. Local stuff from MA and VT, and Lagunitas. That's pretty much it now.

The bartender at the Racebook at Mohegan Sun was telling me they are phasing out Hooker Brewing and going with New Belgium as their primary source.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The bartender at the Racebook at Mohegan Sun was telling me they are phasing out Hooker Brewing and going with New Belgium as their primary source.

Yep. This is what is coming. These mid-sized brewers spent loads of money expanding, and now need to move product. If you really like one of them, fine, support them. But understand that they are here to crush folks like Hooker. They can't touch the on-premise stars like Trillium, Treehouse, Alchemist etc. But small brewers relying on distribution to stores, placement in coolers and on bar taps are in for a fight.

For me that means I try to always choose locals like Jack's Abby or Wormtown over the bigger brewers if I'm at a restaurant.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Anyone try Counterweight's IPA yet? I've been looking for it but apparently they're having issues getting the product into the market. The guy at my local packy says he's seen pictures of it poured and it looks incredible. It's the guy from NEBCO that has branched off on his own; can't wait to try it.
It seems like it pounded the marketplace last week because the CT Beer Drinkers fb page was all over it. I decided not to chase it as I overdid it on brewskis and my fridge is packed with tons waiting to get in (I'll soon be bringing a bunch to a party).

I had a glass at the Blue Hound Taproom and was told it was at the end of the log. Still a very tasty sip that reminds me of SOS. Can't rate it knowing it may have been fresher two days earlier.

Intrigued.

Reaction Score

I heard "the guy from Nebco" took the fuzzy recipe with him and the folks back at Nebco having a time replicating the recipe... will be interesting to see if Fuzzy isnt Fuzzy any more

Reaction Score

the market will correct itself when these breweries can no longer generate enough revenue to stay open

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Its getting harder to wade through the dreck, thats for sure.

Ain't that the truth. And for the most part, the stuff isn't awful, just nothing special and usually not worth the price. I got to the point where I started doubting myself, they all can't be meh, can they?

I just returned from a nice vacation and have renewed vigor thanks to a happy discovery. For the most part the craft beer I sampled fell right in that dreck line. Just to digress, I was at the local watering hole a few months back when a guy I didn't know came in and sat a couple seats down. His first two choices weren't available so he asked me what I was drinking. "Sip of Sunshine, I think you'll like it." I go back to the TV when I hear the guy say loudly, "This IS the beer!" I turn my head and he's holding the beer in the air and gazing at it.

That's how I felt when I had the IPA at Good George's in Hamilton, NZ. It was love at first sip. My last two beers before I left were a Julius and an Alter Ego, so my taste buds were honed. This stuff belongs the pantheon. And I don't think these guys know what they have. I tell the bartender that this is the best beer in the Southern Hemisphere. He starts talking about their stout. They had an American Pale Ale that cost more. I gave it a shot, but not comparable. I go up for my final, final and the new bartender asks me. "Is it still the best beer in the Southern Hemisphere?" I wouldn't kid about beer.

Reaction Score

One thing I love about these small breweries that have taprooms is beer is really so much better when it's fresh. So even some of these places that make decent, but not great, beer have much better tasting beer than the normal craft breweries you buy at the store. But there's still a limit on how many can exist and do well. There are 4 of these small breweries that have taprooms but don't distribute within 10 minutes of my house. But there's only so much beer I can drink even if I liked them all equally. Is that enough to keep them all in business?

Reaction Score
I scored two crowlers from Fat Orange Cat last night from a package store in Marlborough. I drank one which was a 7.6 ABV New England IPA called Consensus. Darn good. Looking forward to checking out their brewery in East Hampton this year. I have a coworker who has been talking this place up since it opened last year. Consensus set the bar pretty high, as its either the, or at least one of the, best New England IPAs I've had from a Connecticut brewery.
Yup, someone was speaking very highly of this beer while I was in line for the Inaugural Fuzzy release yesterday. Looking forward to trying it.

Reaction Score

Had it at elis tavern in milford. Very good not too bitter and not super juicy very smooth and easy to drink. Almost like a session ipa but I believe it's 6-7%. Better than sea hag

Reaction Score
I heard "the guy from Nebco" took the fuzzy recipe with him and the folks back at Nebco having a time replicating the recipe... will be interesting to see if Fuzzy isnt Fuzzy any more

I got fuzzy cans yesterday. Better than the past couple times I had fuzzy on tap.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

What will happen....

People's tastes will change and a lot of these companies will be wrecked.

I live in the Hudson Valley - there are hop farms popping up everywhere. My retirement plan is to buy up that real estate when people decide that they no longer want to drink beer that tastes like someone blended a hop plant.

If that never happens, I'll be okay buying up the real estate under the craft distillers and hard cider brewers that are also sprouting up like weeds.

Reaction Score
I got fuzzy cans yesterday. Better than the past couple times I had fuzzy on tap.

Good to know....it just hasn't been the same lately. Kinda like Pepe's since it began opening other locations ; )

Reaction Score
What will happen....

I live in the Hudson Valley - there are hop farms popping up everywhere. My retirement plan is to buy up that real estate when people decide that they no longer want to drink beer that tastes like someone blended a hop plant.

If that never happens, I'll be okay buying up the real estate under the craft distillers and hard cider brewers that are also sprouting up like weeds.

you ever get into sour beer at all? I enjoy the taste. It's not quite as common as seeing all the IPA's and Pale Ales but i find them enjoyable. Are the conditions right in the NE for hop farms? I dont really know anything about them. Sometimes i say it and just enjoy drinking a Bud or Coors Light.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
What will happen....

I often feel that there will be a hop shortage due to high demand. But good to see there are hop farms popping up to fulfill the need.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I often feel that there will be a hop shortage due to high demand. But good to see there are hop farms popping up to fulfill the need.

There are constant shortages. Many brewers can only brew some of their beers once in awhile because of it. It's one of the advantages to going big or selling out. AB owns countless hop farms, and mostly just sells the stuff. But at shortage time, Goose Island, 7 Barrel and their other breweries won't run out while others will.

Reaction Score
What will happen....

5 - 10 years ago it was all about the Belgians. Some of the best beer bars were Belgian only. See Brick Store in Decatur, GA. Nowadays if you don't have a DIPA on tap you're in trouble. It used to be just Pliny and Hop Slam. Seems like the bourbon or oak or wine barrel everything is becoming a bigger thing. It use to be just KBS and BCBS, now every RIS has a bourbon barrel version. I've even seen oak and wine barrel saisons and sours now. Also, I've noticed slight variations of various beers that never was a thing before. This coffee bean or that coffee bean, or see Ballast Point with how many different types of Sculpin?

You're right though, tastes change, but brewers adapt. Craft brew has been coming and going since they were called microbrews in the 90's. This major craze right now reminds me of Moneymaker and Sammy Farha making Texas Hold'em huge. At that time, if you knew how to play, you could clean up. Nowadays everybody is a poker star. Nowadays everybody is a a master brewer. The fat will be trimmed soon.

One thing for me I've noticed, is the acclaimed beers are outrageously priced now. $25 for a bomber, or $18 for a 4 pack. If you know a local beer is good, you can save a lot of dough. But when there are 100 options, its hard to know whats good except Beer Advocate's top 250.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom