• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Props on Durham call, BTW.

#realInsiderafterall!

Sorry. Needless to say not one of my finer
Moments on Saturday, but a lot of fun. Honestly - forgot I posted publically. I shared with a few folks in private in messages. Ugh.

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Also had two tremendous and interesting sours last night from Wicked Weed Brewing in North Carolina. My buddy bought them in Boston and brought them over.

"Recurrant" was aged in Cabernet barrels and made with black currants and it was excellent, like a Rodenbach Grand Cru.

"Aicha" was really different and really good, blended with Green, Jasmine and Oolong teas. I drink Oolong tea all day so this was a really interesting and good combo for my tastes.

Definitely very good beers for a rare treat if you like sours.

Wicked Weed is awesome. Was in Asheville just two weeks ago. Visited Green Man. They had awesome beer.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Sorry. Needless to say not one of my finer
Moments on Saturday, but a lot of fun. Honestly - forgot I posted publically. I shared with a few folks in private in messages. Ugh.

Haha. With that brew lineup, surprised you were coherent enough to post anything. Hopefully, you won't have anymore exit posts to share...looking forward to news of the new additions...

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The best beer is whatever has enough alcohol content to make me forget the 2016-17 college basketball season.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The best beer is whatever has enough alcohol content to make me forget the 2016-17 college basketball season.
I still want to know how 8893 lost 50 pounds.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I still want to know how 8893 lost 50 pounds.
Slow and steady. I started in earnest in August last year.

Moving more, eating less and eating better more consistently.

If you have health insurance you can probably see a nutritionist as part of your preventative care coverage as often as you like with no co-pay and no deductible. That's a good place to start because you can figure out what works for you and come up with a realistic plan.

I try to get 60 minutes of exercise at least 6 days a week. Two 3o minute sessions most weekdays (early morning and after work) and one long session most weekend days. Jogs, brisk walks, elliptical, stair machine, bike, treadmill...whatever you'll do.

I used the MyFitnessPal app pretty religiously for the first few months to track calories in and calories out. I use it much less now that I have a better sense and am more mindful, but if I start to creep back I put the training wheels on again for a few days.

I limited a few problem foods: pizza, beer and cheese. And I really never eat fried or greasy crap at all anymore except for French fries.

Step on the scale often. As Fishy preaches, what gets measured gets managed.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Slow and steady. I started in earnest in August last year.

Moving more, eating less and eating better more consistently.

If you have health insurance you can probably see a nutritionist as part of your preventative care coverage as often as you like with no co-pay and no deductible. That's a good place to start because you can figure out what works for you and come up with a realistic plan.

I try to get 60 minutes of exercise at least 6 days a week. Two 3o minute sessions most weekdays (early morning and after work) and one long session most weekend days. Jogs, brisk walks, elliptical, stair machine, bike, treadmill...whatever you'll do.

I used the MyFitnessPal app pretty religiously for the first few months to track calories in and calories out. I use it much less now that I have a better sense and am more mindful, but if I start to creep back I put the training wheels on again for a few days.

I limited a few problem foods: pizza, beer and cheese. And I really never eat fried or greasy crap at all anymore except for French fries.

Step on the scale often. As Fishy preaches, what gets measured gets managed.
Thanks, I had used my fitness pal in the past with some success. It's the best that blows up calorie counts.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's the best beer that blows up calorie counts.
I take it you meant "beer" not "best," and I would agree.

I hate to isolate one variable because I think they are all parts of whole, and the notion that there is one magic bullet is usually the kiss of death in terms of my attempts to maintain a lower weight over the long haul.

That said, if I had to pick the single biggest factor for me, it would definitely be booze in general and beer in particular. I'm sure I've recited it here before, but I'll never forget the moment during the second or third visit with my nutritionist when she was reviewing my food diary entries on MyFitnessPal: "What kind of beer is 300 calories?!?" She was referring to a can of Sip of Sunshine and that was a revelation for me. When you are trying to stay between 1,800 and 2,000 calories a day, giving away 300 at a time on beer is a big spend--too big for me. By comparison, most of the ciders or wines I drink are around 110-180 calories per serving; better still, Scotch and Irish whiskeys are around 65-70 calories per serving.

Reaction Score
I don't think any beer would do it. Need something stiffer. Like this:

220px-EverclearHiRes.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I take it you meant "beer" not "best," and I would agree.

I hate to isolate one variable because I think they are all parts of whole, and the notion that there is one magic bullet is usually the kiss of death in terms of my attempts to maintain a lower weight over the long haul.

That said, if I had to pick the single biggest factor for me, it would definitely be booze in general and beer in particular. I'm sure I've recited it here before, but I'll never forget the moment during the second or third visit with my nutritionist when she was reviewing my food diary entries on MyFitnessPal: "What kind of beer is 300 calories?!?" She was referring to a can of Sip of Sunshine and that was a revelation for me. When you are trying to stay between 1,800 and 2,000 calories a day, giving away 300 at a time on beer is a big spend--too big for me. By comparison, most of the ciders or wines I drink are around 110-180 calories per serving; better still, Scotch and Irish whiskeys are around 65-70 calories per serving.

Seriously. I shifted to whiskey last fall. I went from one bottle to now about 20. I'll still drink a beer or two on the weekend in a social setting, but I find I can get a nice pour of bourbon or Scotch and it's under 100 calories. And while a DIPA like Sip is bad, the big imperial stouts are even worse. I've got some left, and I'll drink them. But I may never buy another. A Bourbon County (at 12oz, even though the bottle is 16.9 now) is 475 calories.

Cheese is a bad one, and I love cheese. But a place that is easy to cut is bread. It's amazing how many calories are in various forms of bread. Using "sandwich thins" in place of a grocery store roll saves 150 calories. Since I bring lunch to work every day, that's 750 calories a week just on weekdays.

I'm finding that there are ways to splurge or snack that can be more enjoyable than expected. And no, not eating celery. Davio's philly cheese steak spring rolls are the most delicious things imaginable. 100 calories each. So two of them is the same as four crackers with cheese, or a small bowl of potato chips. But you really feel indulged.

Reaction Score
Man, Relic has been killing it lately. Today's can release of Blind Knife Fight double IPA. Juicy citrus grape with a nice soft bitter finish. There was a line about 60 deep at opening.
IMG_4555.JPG

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Man, Relic has been killing it lately. Today's can release of Blind Knife Fight double IPA. Juicy citrus grape with a nice soft bitter finish. There was a line about 60 deep at opening.
View attachment 21464
I find Relic just okay. I have had 5 of their beers. Maybe Leaf Storm is the best of them. Nothing I would buy again given the competition. I'm sure I'm missing their best stuff, tho.

Reaction Score
The wife and I drove to Fat Orange Cat Brewing and holy cow. they are friggin awesome! they are small and really focus on quality rather than quantity. Had Consensus and it was truly amazing. best IPA beer coming out of CT and im a big fan of New England Brewing and Beer'd. it remind me of beers from Bissel Brothers or Trillium. It doesn't have the fruit forward flavor that Julius or Green does, but that's okay!

the new New England style IPAs that are coming out from CT (2 Juicy, Headway, No Filter) can't touch this beer! I'm recalling looking forward to trying their stout called "Breakfast in bed" and "Sleeping in"

Reaction Score
This week's report:

1. Grimm BFF--Yummmmmmmm! 9 out of 10.
2. Founders KBS--um, if I wanted to drink something that tasted like beer and bourbon, I'd pour some bourbon into my beer. 7 out of 10.
3. Singlecut Does Anybody Remember Laughter?--Really good. 8 out of 10.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The wife and I drove to Fat Orange Cat Brewing and holy cow. they are friggin awesome! they are small and really focus on quality rather than quantity. Had Consensus and it was truly amazing. best IPA beer coming out of CT and im a big fan of New England Brewing and Beer'd. it remind me of beers from Bissel Brothers or Trillium. It doesn't have the fruit forward flavor that Julius or Green does, but that's okay!

the new New England style IPAs that are coming out from CT (2 Juicy, Headway, No Filter) can't touch this beer! I'm recalling looking forward to trying their stout called "Breakfast in bed" and "Sleeping in"
I am really looking forward to getting there in June. There's a chance even sooner.

Reaction Score
In Baltimore for a night. Man, we are spoiled in New England with our brews.

Reaction Score
In Baltimore for a night. Man, we are spoiled in New England with our brews.

I think Stillwater is from Baltimore, no? I always like their beers. I can't think of any other Maryland brewers

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
This week's report:

2. Founders KBS--um, if I wanted to drink something that tasted like beer and bourbon, I'd pour some bourbon into my beer. 7 out of 10.

If you like Does Anybody Remember Laughter, be sure to check out Weird Gilly and Softly Spoken Magic Spells...Singlecut's 3 best IMO.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This week's report:

Bourbon barrel aged stouts can be amazing. KBS however, is a boozy mess. Now CBS is tremendous.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If you like Does Anybody Remember Laughter, be sure to check out Weird Gilly and Softly Spoken Magic Spells...Singlecut's 3 best IMO.

Softly Spoken Magic Spells is wonderful. Only one of their beers that is almost worth their ridiculous prices.

Reaction Score
Bourbon barrel aged stouts can be amazing. KBS however, is a boozy mess. Now CBS is tremendous.

Agree. I've had the Goose Island, and recently posted here about the Evil Twin/Westbrook Mexican Biscotti. They are great beers. Also have had Allagash and even NEBCO's Imperial Trooper. Russian Imperial Stouts are probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite kind of beer. I was surprised at how much I disliked KBS, given all the hype.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Agree. I've had the Goose Island, and recently posted here about the Evil Twin/Westbrook Mexican Biscotti. They are great beers. Also have had Allagash and even NEBCO's Imperial Trooper. Russian Imperial Stouts are probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite kind of beer. I was surprised at how much I disliked KBS, given all the hype.

People are idiots and swallow hype. I remember drinking it back to back with Firestone Walker Parabola three years ago at Beervana and noticing that it wasn't close to being in the same league as Parabola. Honestly, I think most Founders beers are overrated. Their IPAs suck. Backwoods bastard and the Porter are good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom