Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In Baltimore for a night. Man, we are spoiled in New England with our brews.

Max Taphouse in the Fells Point section of the waterfront is amazing.

By coincidence I am headed there tomorrow for a couple nights for a last (I hope!) college visit with my oldest daughter. A few friends from the area have also recommended Alewife and Ale Mary's. I will report back...

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Flew through a 12 pack sampler of 4 different Sam Rebel IPAs this weekend. Obviously not the greatest beers but I began the spring clean up of the yard this weekend so I wanted something quick and tasty. All were very drinkable which is pretty rare for a sampler.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I haven't read that yet but I'm sure Jim is still smarting from this article: How the Craft-Beer Movement Abandoned Jim Koch

ADD: I should have read it first.

Since that article, Lagunitas is one of those now partially controlled by a foreign giant, Heineken. McGee supposedly retains control. Ballast Point sold. Many others have and will. Not every brewery can go national, so those that link up to the big boys will more likely survive. Meanwhile, small low distribution breweries are doing very well. There is nothing the big guys can do to counter Alchemist, Trilllium or Treehouse and the like.

Reaction Score
Since that article, Lagunitas is one of those now partially controlled by a foreign giant, Heineken. McGee supposedly retains control. Ballast Point sold. Many others have and will. Not every brewery can go national, so those that link up to the big boys will more likely survive. Meanwhile, small low distribution breweries are doing very well. There is nothing the big guys can do to counter Alchemist, Trilllium or Treehouse and the like.

These are micro breweries though.

I imagine he's concerned about the Singlecut, Grimm, Almanac, Westbrook, etc., type of craft beer places. These places are hooked up with big distributors right now, and you can have their beers on tap at many bars. If those big distributors stop carrying them, well, then, either a smaller distributor will have to pick them up and ONLY cater to craft beer bars, or they can't distribute their beer anymore in kegs.

Reaction Score
I'm sipping on some Treehouse as I write this, hands down their beers are the best that I've had. I'm also a senior at uconn so the range of beer that i've had is much lower than other. It's located in Monson Ma, right over the boarder up 32. You should take a ride up to the brewery if you're in the area, you won't regret it!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
These are micro breweries though.

I imagine he's concerned about the Singlecut, Grimm, Almanac, Westbrook, etc., type of craft beer places. These places are hooked up with big distributors right now, and you can have their beers on tap at many bars. If those big distributors stop carrying them, well, then, either a smaller distributor will have to pick them up and ONLY cater to craft beer bars, or they can't distribute their beer anymore in kegs.

Those guys are tiny (Westbrook a bit bigger). Lots of them will fail. But yeah, those smaller breweries relying on shelf and cooler space, plus tap handles, are in for a lot of competition from breweries just like them, like 10 Barrel, that sold out to AB. The big boys like Dogfish and Stone are fine, as are the undistributed folks (who have great margins).

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm sipping on some Treehouse as I write this, hands down their beers are the best that I've had. I'm also a senior at UConn so the range of beer that i've had is much lower than other. It's located in Monson Ma, right over the boarder up 32. You should take a ride up to the brewery if you're in the area, you won't regret it!

Awesome. Thanks for the tip.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I had my first Nummy Nummy (Stubborn Beauty Brewing in Middletown) from a can. Poured into a snifter. My God...an amazing juice bomb!!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm sipping on some Treehouse as I write this, hands down their beers are the best that I've had. I'm also a senior at UConn so the range of beer that i've had is much lower than other. It's located in Monson Ma, right over the boarder up 32. You should take a ride up to the brewery if you're in the area, you won't regret it!

FYI. It won't be in Monson for long. They are building a new brewery in Charlton, right on Rt. 20. For those coming up 84, it may be slightly closer. For those of us coming from the Boston area, it will be a lot closer. Better still, capacity will go way up, they may be open 7 days a week during more normal hours, and we should see much shorter lines. Tasting room too, which they don't have now. Beers are amazing, I agree. It's just too much of a hassle for me right now.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
FYI. It won't be in Monson for long. They are building a new brewery in Charlton, right on Rt. 20. For those coming up 84, it may be slightly closer. For those of us coming from the Boston area, it will be a lot closer. Better still, capacity will go way up, they may be open 7 days a week during more normal hours, and we should see much shorter lines. Tasting room too, which they don't have now. Beers are amazing, I agree. It's just too much of a hassle for me right now.
Monson's going to remain open after Charlton opens. They say it will in part be an incubator for experimental stuff.

I find the hassle rap to be a bit overrated, but I'm just under an hour away with a few good excuses to visit every other week or so. If you arrive between 1-2 hours after they actually open, you'll never be shut out, always can park in the lower lot and rarely will wait over 20 minutes. Go later and wait often nonexistent.
My only real criticism of Treehouse is how quickly and substantially that stuff increases your waistline.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone try kinsmen in Southington yet? Just opened last weekend.

I hit up Kinsmen yesterday.....They had 4 brews on tap....still serving in plastic cups though...Their 21.3 American IPA was very nice....a little grapefruit....medium bodied.....I was not as impressed with their Bowl Cut DIPA....single hop....full bodied....needed more balance for my tastes. Big place....outdoor area with Can Jam and bean bag toss set up. Food truck out front. Place was filling in when I left at 1:30...

Reaction Score
I'm habitually late to the party, but I actually made it in time to my local liquor store to try some G-Bot. Freakin' delicious.

Reaction Score
Has the Lagunitas One Hitter series, Waldos Special Ale (11.9%abv) hit the east coast?

Just picked some up.

I'm only drinking one night per week these days and tonight is my night bro.

Just cracked one open and I'm halfway through and already I'm toast.

It's damp, it's dank, it's dark.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I finally made it to Foam Brewing in Burlington last Saturday. Cool spot on the lakefront and it was hopping. Beers were very good, but a hair shy of Treehouse and Trillium's best in my opinion. But I give credit for uniqueness, as they didn't taste the same as anything else, or each other.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I finally made it to Foam Brewing in Burlington last Saturday. Cool spot on the lakefront and it was hopping. Beers were very good, but a hair shy of Treehouse and Trillium's best in my opinion. But I give credit for uniqueness, as they didn't taste the same as anything else, or each other.
Been working my way through the five Frost 22 oz. bombers I picked up in VT last month. All very good, but Plush is the best so far, followed by Lush.

Focal Banger remains my favorite of the VT beers I have in current rotation. Every time I come back to it, it beats what I've been drinking.

Reaction Score
Been working my way through the five Frost 22 oz. bombers I picked up in VT last month. All very good, but Plush is the best so far, followed by Lush.

Focal Banger remains my favorite of the VT beers I have in current rotation. Every time I come back to it, it beats what I've been drinking.

Focal is great no doubt( so is Heady n Crusher and Lucious(stout)) I get up to Vt all the time and frequent Alchemist and Hill Farmstead. Although HF is very good with lots of variety, they are overpriced. Alchemist at $12.50 a 4 pk (pint cans) is by far THE best value going in Vt

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Amen!

Yeah, but I've purchased about 7 cases in the last few months, and I'm a bit burned out on it. I've got a fridge full and a cooler in my garage with two cases right now, plus a bunch of Sip, as I just got back again. I give a lot of it away. There's not a lighter calorie option in the bunch. Even Focal is a huge IPA. They could use a regular Pale Ale in the rotation in place of Crusher. Crusher is just not all that.

Maybe it's because I'm really trying to lose weight, but I find that I appreciate a hoppy Pale Ale at around 5% more than just about anything else.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah, but I've purchased about 7 cases in the last few months, and I'm a bit burned out on it. I've got a fridge full and a cooler in my garage with two cases right now, plus a bunch of Sip, as I just got back again. I give a lot of it away. There's not a lighter calorie option in the bunch. Even Focal is a huge IPA. They could use a regular Pale Ale in the rotation in place of Crusher. Crusher is just not all that.

Maybe it's because I'm really trying to lose weight, but I find that I appreciate a hoppy Pale Ale at around 5% more than just about anything else.
Agree 100%. But I have taken a somewhat different approach now. Instead of looking for lower calorie/ABV options among them, I just don't drink any beer regularly at all any more; but on the infrequent occasions when I do (maybe one night every other week), I have only great beers, and I have the equivalent of one or two, tops. Like you, I give a lot away; but more often, I share them with friends and other guests, so I get to sample more. I'd rather have three really great half-beers and then drink cider, wine or whiskey for the rest of my weekly booze intake.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. But I have taken a somewhat different approach now. Instead of looking for lower calorie/ABV options among them, I just don't drink any beer regularly at all any more; but on the infrequent occasions when I do (maybe one night every other week), I have only great beers, and I have the equivalent of one or two, tops. Like you, I give a lot away; but more often, I share them with friends and other guests, so I get to sample more. I'd rather have three really great half-beers and then drink cider, wine or whiskey for the rest of my weekly booze intake.

That is close to what I do. More like 2-3 beers a week. But I'm worried that with summer and outdoor parties, I'll need something I can drink more of.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom