Battle in the Bubble - Rothstein | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Battle in the Bubble - Rothstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not a fan of the bubble
It makes a total mockery of COLLEGE basketball. Awful precedent and in a bubble in Omaha how pray tell is Team B UConn? They don’t play at UConn. They don’t practice at UConn. They don’t live at UConn. UConn students don’t attend the games. They don’t meet or hang out at UConn. They are just team B in this awful bubble. And for all intents and purposes they are the G-league

Reaction Score
No I'm not a fan of that either.

You think there is a chance they are going to be playing in CT in a packed indoor arena? I didn't consider that because there is little chance of that. Not until we have a vaccine or herd immunity.

If you want to see UConn play this season, you better hope they do it in empty arenas.

Reaction Score
It makes a total mockery of COLLEGE basketball. Awful precedent and in a bubble in Omaha how pray tell is Team B UConn? They don’t play at UConn. They don’t practice at UConn. They don’t live at UConn. UConn students don’t attend the games. They don’t meet or hang out at UConn. They are just team B in this awful bubble. And for all intents and purposes they are the G-league
Where have you been the last 30 years or so? For better or for worse that's college sports these days.

Reaction Score
Where have you been the last 30 years or so? For better or for worse that's college sports these days.
Well not exactly. They live play and practice in Connecticut. And even occasionally meet other students. But in a bubble in Omaha? Team B.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
We could have Zoom happy hours with them at a virtual Ted’s.
That could capture when they start turning the lights on and off after last call, but not the smell when they started dumping ammonia (or whatever it was) all over the place.

Reaction Score
Well not exactly. They live play and practice in Connecticut. And even occasionally meet other students. But in a bubble in Omaha? Team B.
And the Celtics live, play and practice in Boston. And even occasionally meet other professional athletes. But now they're playing in a bubble for a few months. What's your point?

Yes, we all realize the paradox of college teams playing in a bubble. But give me that over no college basketball tournament 100 out of 100 times. It's no more than a month for any teams. It's not like they're going to do that every year. And maybe Kentucky will play Louisville in the final. They wouldn't be missing anything since neither teams' players go to class or mix with any other students anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are just choking out those poor pearls

Take a Xanax buttercup

Reaction Score
We talk basketball in the bubble but if their grades improve and they are able to learn more (academically), then that means its a win/win, even for players on losing teams.

Just saying something good can come out of this off the court in years ahead for a lot of players, particularly those vulnerable to distractions. I just always like to celebrate a student athlete's diploma more than their total number of baskets, rebounds or assists.

Reaction Score
You are just choking out those poor pearls

Take a Xanax buttercup
I know there's a history here, but it is allowable to have an opinion about this particular issue and reasonable to expect people to evaluate the opinion, ironically enough, in a vacuum.

I strongly believe college football players, who have always been physical flotsam should not be isolated & forced to play that game in any kind of bubble and the conferences that cancelled seasons are far better serving their players & students versus schools/teams trying to play.

It is also possible to selfishly want there to be a college basketball season (like I do) and at the same time understand that this is what's best for ME which should not be the priority when it is other people's lives that are impacted. And some of the things we like best about CBB would be missing in a bubble, that is a fact that might make the product less desirable for some. I still hope they play and will be bummed (but understanding) if they don't, whether they play is not going to come down to who wins the bickering amongst UConn fans.

Reaction Score
You think there is a chance they are going to be playing in CT in a packed indoor arena? I didn't consider that because there is little chance of that. Not until we have a vaccine or herd immunity.

If you want to see UConn play this season, you better hope they do it in empty arenas.

I hope they can pipe some noise in for the players. I like the NBA games because there is a clear crowd reaction on our end. I hope college players get spoon fed some atmosphere so the games still have energy.

Reaction Score
I know there's a history here, but it is allowable to have an opinion about this particular issue and reasonable to expect people to evaluate the opinion, ironically enough, in a vacuum.

I strongly believe college football players, who have always been physical flotsam should not be isolated & forced to play that game in any kind of bubble and the conferences that cancelled seasons are far better serving their players & students versus schools/teams trying to play.

It is also possible to selfishly want there to be a college basketball season (like I do) and at the same time understand that this is what's best for ME which should not be the priority when it is other people's lives that are impacted. And some of the things we like best about CBB would be missing in a bubble, that is a fact that might make the product less desirable for some. I still hope they play and will be bummed (but understanding) if they don't, whether they play is not going to come down to who wins the bickering amongst UConn fans.
This is the Boneyard. Get that nuance outta here!

Reaction Score
And the Celtics live, play and practice in Boston. And even occasionally meet other professional athletes. But now they're playing in a bubble for a few months. What's your point?

Yes, we all realize the paradox of college teams playing in a bubble. But give me that over no college basketball tournament 100 out of 100 times. It's no more than a month for any teams. It's not like they're going to do that every year. And maybe Kentucky will play Louisville in the final. They wouldn't be missing anything since neither teams' players go to class or mix with any other students anyway.
They are not a COLLEGE team. Pros are really a different animal.

Reaction Score
They are not a COLLEGE team. Pros are really a different animal.
You're not following me. My point before was that college basketball and football has pretty much been professional sports for a long time. Playing in a bubble for 2-3 weeks isn't going to change that for the better or worse. So just take the gift of that 2-3 weeks and you can still complain that college sports is basically professional sports after the tournament is over.

Reaction Score

It's like he doesn't realize most kids are being educated in their bedrooms.

Reaction Score
I hope they can pipe some noise in for the players. I like the NBA games because there is a clear crowd reaction on our end. I hope college players get spoon fed some atmosphere so the games still have energy.
Maybe they can do cut out fans too! Or like that Korean (?) baseball team they can put blow up dolls in the seats. It is an awful idea which is being done for the money. Not for the players. Certainly not for the schools in any way other than financial. Not for 5he students. There is an old saying that just because you can do something it doesn’t mean you should. That absolutely applies to this bubble idea. Go Team B!

Reaction Score
It's like he doesn't realize most kids are being educated in their bedrooms.
No John. That is a reason why this is dumb. No students on campus. But we force a bunch of college kids to live in a bubble in Omaha for our entertainment. Oh, and so the NCAA can collect its check from CBS. And I’m just guessing but I bet leagues like the MEAC, NEC, you know, the 16 seed leagues, won’t bubble their teams.

Reaction Score
No John. That is a reason why this is dumb. No students on campus. But we force a bunch of college kids to live in a bubble in Omaha for our entertainment. Oh, and so the NCAA can collect its check from CBS. And I’m just guessing but I bet leagues like the MEAC, NEC, you know, the 16 seed leagues, won’t bubble their teams.
You pick the dumbest hills to die on and you're always wrong. Of course there's students on campus and nobody is being forced to do anything, the kids want to play.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
A recording of the 'left right left' chant for when an opposing player gets tossed!

Reaction Score

I feel like each day there are more candidates for non-conference bubbles coming out. On my count there's Mohegan in CT, Washington DC for mid-Atlantic, Sioux Falls for midwest...keep them coming!!!

Reaction Score
The "Golden Window" sounds like a bad 1960's era skin flick with some dude talking like Jimmy Stewart while watching shenanigans next door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom