Battle in the Bubble - Rothstein | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Battle in the Bubble - Rothstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I say this with respect for the players and the work that they put in, but honestly I could not care less and neither should all of you.

This is societal-wide, systemic public health crisis, and public policy decisions in such a crisis must err on the side of containment, safety, and risk reduction. What an 18-22 year old college football player thinks off the record is truly not relevant.
I don't want to attack your way of thinking but come on. We're a good six months into it, we know what the beast is. The virus sucks, it kills old people and people with comorbidities, it's very much what we thought it was early on, it's killed 300 people 24 and under nationwide. Ask young people if they want to play the sports they love. Ask D1 athletes if they want to play the sports they love. I think we haven't been caring about young people and asking them enough questions nearly enough this entire time. Adults have been letting us down left and right, let's hear from the young people.

Reaction Score
I'd watch and selfishly I'm in favor of it happening.
But frankly it shouldn't happen with amateur sports. It is one thing for players who are paid, it is quite another and just layers onto the hypocrisy of college sports to play the big time sports for TV in a bubble. I'm actively rooting against college football working (partially out of UConn spite).
If I were a AD or conference head, I'd say no to the big time TV sports and those bubbles. Ok if they want to do fencing, tennis and whatever else is safe and truly is about the athletes and the sport.

For the 50+ or so men's CBB players whose immediate NBA futures are at stake, they should be allowed to make individual decisions to opt in or out of school. I don't see the logic in running a giant bubble organization or a bunch of mini-conference bubbles on the excuse of showcasing such a small amount of possible draft picks, when it is really just about keeping the revenue coming in at the expense & risk of athletes where the risk-reward is out of balance.

while I appreciate your right to an opinion like this. I honestly don’t understand how someone gets to this view - not facts.

As a father of a high school junior daughter who is being required to play soccer at the collegiate level, and a son who plays collegiate hockey, I can assure you that amateur athletes have been severely impacted by COVID. And to tell them to put it off a year is ridiculous. They don’t have a year to lose. It will impact the rest of their lives.

they all want to play. They are in great shape, healthy and working hard to not lose ground.

I don’t know a serious armature athlete who doesn’t want to get back to playing. It is people like you and others on this board thinking you know what’s best for them, and you don’t know better. You are letting fear control your decisions. Ask them what they want. If they don’t want to play they can opt out.

#LetTheKidsPlay

Reaction Score
while I appreciate your right to an opinion like this. I honestly don’t understand how someone gets to this view - not facts.

As a father of a high school junior daughter who is being required to play soccer at the collegiate level, and a son who plays collegiate hockey, I can assure you that amateur athletes have been severely impacted by COVID. And to tell them to put it off a year is ridiculous. They don’t have a year to lose. It will impact the rest of their lives.

they all want to play. They are in great shape, healthy and working hard to not lose ground.

I don’t know a serious armature athlete who doesn’t want to get back to playing. It is people like you and others on this board thinking you know what’s best for them, and you don’t know better. You are letting fear control your decisions. Ask them what they want. If they don’t want to play they can opt out.

#LetTheKidsPlay
“People like you“!? Your opinion matters more why exactly? Why can’t I go back to my office, why aren’t bars or restaurants open, why aren’t my kids able to do 90% of the activities they usually do? Your situation is not unique. I’m sorriest for the very young families/kids and the college aged kids but it sucks for all of us and we are all sacrificing, by both mandate and choice. I do care about all of us that are missing out on things, yet I’d like my kids to be able to see my 82yr old Mom and give her a hug. She is scared and wants to be careful. I find that more important than anyone’s freakin soccer season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

#LetTheKidsPlay
Couple questions after reading your post. No attack here, just curiosity. First, who is requiring that your daughter play Collegiate Soccer? Secondly, how will losing a year of sports impact them for the rest of their lives? I just figured that the College Degree could potentially outweigh the loss of a season of sports. Like I said, no attack here, just curiosity.

Reaction Score
Couple questions after reading your post. No attack here, just curiosity. First, who is requiring that your daughter play Collegiate Soccer? Secondly, how will losing a year of sports impact them for the rest of their lives? I just figured that the College Degree could potentially outweigh the loss of a season of sports. Like I said, no attack here, just curiosity.

She is being recruited by Lower- mid d1 and high-academic D3. The loses come from the back to back pile up of recruiting classes that is causing a squeeze on opportunity. She has played with girls that started college last year (D1 scholarships) and there are a lot of stories of people losing scholarships from last year. I could give some specifics but not my position to out any universities.

For the top tier they may not be impacted much, but everyone else is. For anyone that has gone through the process, where your child is good enough to play at the next level, but not going to play at a top school, and especially if they don’t play one of the money sports you know what I am talking about. That athletic opportunity can, and often does tip the scales on acceptance at very competitive academic institutions and or money to help pay for school.

ill provide another example of the craziness. My daughters two club teams have been playing for over a month now (15 games so far), yet her high school is still debating to have a season this fall. But all these girls are already playing each other. All the parents are at the games, albeit abiding by strict guidelines. And while not committing to playing a season, her school is going ahead with a big fund raiser towards the end of September. stupid! And this is more common than one would think.

I appreciate everyone’s concerns, but this is not rocket science. Everyone should be wearing a mask and practicing acceptable social distancing. Outside of this, There are situation specific risks and each of us has the responsibility to understand them and make choices for oruselves and our family. But no one gets to impose their choices, specific to their situation on people in different circumstances.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
“People like you“!? Your opinion matters more why exactly? Why can’t I go back to my office, why aren’t bars or restaurants open, why aren’t my kids able to do 90% of the activities they usually do? Your situation is not unique. I’m sorriest for the very young families/kids and the college aged kids but it sucks for all of us and we are all sacrificing, by both mandate and choice. I do care about all of us that are missing out on things, yet I’d like my kids to be able to see my 82yr old Mom and give her a hug. She is scared and wants to be careful. I find that more important than anyone’s freakin soccer season.

I am not invaliding your your opinion, just disagree with it strongly. And I am sorry about your 82 yr old mom and know it is tough. My mom is 85 and has health issues. We haven’t seen her since christmas, which is hard.

but the situation you and I share with elderly parents is our situation. We, and others in our situation should act responsibly. But again, that doesn’t mean we impose restrictions on the broader public that don’t have the same situation.

On your point about bars and restaurants, there is a big difference between getting our kids Safely back to a normal life and an adult being able to go out for dinner or go out drinking with friends. But I would have thought this would be obvious to everyone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am not invaliding your your opinion, just disagree with it strongly. And I am sorry about your 82 yr old mom and know it is tough. My mom is 85 and has health issues. We haven’t seen her since christmas, which is hard.

but the situation you and I share with elderly parents is our situation. We, and others in our situation should act responsibly. But again, that doesn’t mean we impose restrictions on the broader public that don’t have the same situation.

On your point about bars and restaurants, there is a big difference between getting our kids Safely back to a normal life and an adult being able to go out for dinner or go out drinking with friends. But I would have thought this would be obvious to everyone.
It is obvious, bars & restaurants are relatively easy sacrifices unless it is your livelihood. Spare me the sarcasm. Your original post & opinion Still seems overly determined by and focused on your personal or family situation. No one in this country seems to be willing to deal with the hard individual sacrifices so we are stuck with a group consequence. It could make sense to open lots of stuff if there were widespread responsible behavior and this SHOULD be possible. But we are not there as a country and we’ve all got to deal with big and small losses that are the result.

Personally I’m wearing masks, quarantining or testing (ie went to RI and tested my family immediately upon return) when required to do so and limiting interactions. In other words my part in what could get things back open. I’m not campaigning for closures but I am going to speak up against people advocating for opening $ when we are not ready and doing so is more likely than not (not definitive, nobody knows) to lengthen and worsen the situation.

Reaction Score
"The customer is always right"-ism is a scourge.

Yea my point went way over all your head. I'm not saying I don't care. I'm saying that insofar as our country can still not even get first-order problems - IE, contain a virus that has killed 200k people anywhere near under control - we should not be pretending things are back to normal. And we sure as hell should not be polling a bunch of 18-year-olds that lift weights 10 months a year so they can play 10 games a year whether or not they want to play. We all know the answer. We all also must know its a silly and unnecessary risk - to their lives and to others.

Reaction Score
It is obvious, bars & restaurants are relatively easy sacrifices unless it is your livelihood. Spare me the sarcasm. Your original post & opinion Still seems overly determined by and focused on your personal or family situation. No one in this country seems to be willing to deal with the hard individual sacrifices so we are stuck with a group consequence. It could make sense to open lots of stuff if there were widespread responsible behavior and this SHOULD be possible. But we are not there as a country and we’ve all got to deal with big and small losses that are the result.

Personally I’m wearing masks, quarantining or testing (ie went to RI and tested my family immediately upon return) when required to do so and limiting interactions. In other words my part in what could get things back open. I’m not campaigning for closures but I am going to speak up against people advocating for opening $ when we are not ready and doing so is more likely than not (not definitive, nobody knows) to lengthen and worsen the situation.

My view is the exact opposite. You are letting your personal family situation determine what you want others to do. I commend you for you diligence, although testing your family after a trip form CT to RI and back seems a little excessive, unless you al knowingly engaged in risky behavior. But good for you.

again, if you feel the safest thing for you is to lock you and your family in the basement until this passes, you should do that. And there is no sarcasm or insincerity here. We all deal with risk and fear differently and you should do what works for you and your family.

but your risk/fear matrix and the decisions you are advocating are inconsistent with what the experts are advocating. So do what you need to do, but don’t try to visit that on the rest of us who are acting in accordance with guidelines and want to do differently from what your position is.

Reaction Score
My view is the exact opposite. You are letting your personal family situation determine what you want others to do. I commend you for you diligence, although testing your family after a trip form CT to RI and back seems a little excessive, unless you al knowingly engaged in risky behavior. But good for you.

again, if you feel the safest thing for you is to lock you and your family in the basement until this passes, you should do that. And there is no sarcasm or insincerity here. We all deal with risk and fear differently and you should do what works for you and your family.

but your risk/fear matrix and the decisions you are advocating are inconsistent with what the experts are advocating. So do what you need to do, but don’t try to visit that on the rest of us who are acting in accordance with guidelines and want to do differently from what your position is.

You keep saying that our "fear/risk Matrix" or we are "letting fear get in the way".

Its not fear. Its a duty to others. A duty that too few in this country share, and why we are trapped in hell.

Reaction Score
You keep saying that our "fear/risk Matrix" or we are "letting fear get in the way".

Its not fear. Its a duty to others. A duty that too few in this country share, and why we are trapped in hell.

not so. You are advocating above and beyond. Again, if that works for you and you family then you should do it. But to go above and beyond you are, by definition, letting fear guide your decisions.

my only suggestion to you, and this is sincere. Do some research, get some facts, and then come back with an educated position. You don’t have one now.

Reaction Score

What the frock do you know about my risk or fear matrix? Nothing as it turns out.

In August when I went to a pre-booked week in Narragansett RI, MA law required either 2 weeks quarantine or a negative test, so in fact the opposite of what you say I was following the experts and adhering to guidelines. The testing was the right thing to do, a couple hours for us, some costs, but 1/10 pain and same day results (pre-researched a good place).

You were half right in that my15yr Old is in the basement on most nights, but it is unlocked and he’s usually with a few friends from town (less than 45 cases in my town since March).

So in these instances bad assumptions on your part in every respect. Unfortunately our country has way more than our share of covid cases and deaths because too many are un-willing to make personal sacrifices when they hurt.

Reaction Score
not so. You are advocating above and beyond. Again, if that works for you and you family then you should do it. But to go above and beyond you are, by definition, letting fear guide your decisions.

my only suggestion to you, and this is sincere. Do some research, get some facts, and then come back with an educated position. You don’t have one now.

I'm getting my MPA right now so I've literally spent the past 4 months comparing US Municipality/State/Fed response to COVID vs other countries to determine why we are the worst in the entire world, but thumbs up bro you obviously the smartest and most knowledgeable dude on the planet.

FWIW one of my key takeaways is that in most other countries there is a much higher cultural cohesion and willingness to "go above and beyond" what the authorities are requiring as bare minimum, and that is one of the key factors to their excellent responses. See especially the APAC countries like japan and South Korea for extreme cultural collective sacrifice.

It is the minimalism - doing only what is absolutely required by state/fed authorities that is allowing the slow burn of the pandemic in the US - which you are the purest self-interested and self-righteous example of.

Actually I'd love to quote this exchange as a case study in my thesis due in November if you'll will allow me permission?

Reaction Score

You’ve already proven yourself a poor researcher so spare me your epidemiology knowledge lest you post a degree for us. To live in this country right now and howl at the moon for people being overly cautious is short-sighted at best. If you really want to open things up for yourself the correct play is fear monger (even if you believe the opposite after obtaining your infectious disease expertise via reading articles that tell you what you want to hear) and get everyone to stay home.

Reaction Score
It's amusing how empowered some seem to feel when they take a mask off right after they exit a store.

Reaction Score

the order/guidance from your governorwasn’t that straightforward. You should read it. All kinds of silly exemptions that make no sense if crossing the border to rhode island was really a threat.

for example there is not a restriction between ct and ri or between ct and ma! Cross pollination. And let’s not get into the whole transitory exemption, which is the overwhelming number of people crossing boarders that have the highest potential to spread from state to state.

again, understand the facts and let knowledge, not fear guide your decision making.
I'm getting my MPA right now so I've literally spent the past 4 months comparing US Municipality/State/Fed response to COVID vs other countries to determine why we are the worst in the entire world, but thumbs up bro you obviously the smartest and most knowledgeable dude on the planet.

FWIW one of my key takeaways is that in most other countries there is a much higher cultural cohesion and willingness to "go above and beyond" what the authorities are requiring as bare minimum, and that is one of the key factors to their excellent responses. See especially the APAC countries like japan and South Korea for extreme cultural collective sacrifice.

It is the minimalism - doing only what is absolutely required by state/fed authorities that is allowing the slow burn of the pandemic in the US - which you are the purest self-interested and self-righteous example of.

Actually I'd love to quote this exchange as a case study in my thesis due in November if you'll will allow me permission?

Wrong again, but keep working on you thesis. Have you ever been to japan or South Korea? I have, many times. I have teams in both countries, and can tell you, you are distorting facts to fit your fear.

And please save your condescending “quote this exchange as a case study” I have a BS two masters and a PhD and run a global risk management business.

I have offices in 20 countries around the world and have been dealing with the impact of COVID, not just from a sports perspective where this back and forth started, but real world situations that have real impacts on my teams and their families lives.

so go back and hide in you basement. And get tested when you go to RI, unless you work there or are going grocery shopping, or just passing through on your way to CT, in which case you don’t have to.

Or get educated.

Reaction Score
We're totally screwing over young people. Old people are the ones in power and the ones who die from the virus yet they're strapping young people with an incredible burden going forward and some have the gall to blame young people. We're setting them up to fail, I've come to realize many old people are incredibly selfish.

Reaction Score
the order/guidance from your governorwasn’t that straightforward. You should read it. All kinds of silly exemptions that make no sense if crossing the border to rhode island was really a threat.

for example there is not a restriction between ct and ri or between ct and ma! Cross pollination. And let’s not get into the whole transitory exemption, which is the overwhelming number of people crossing boarders that have the highest potential to spread from state to state.

again, understand the facts and let knowledge, not fear guide your decision making.

Wrong again, but keep working on you thesis. Have you ever been to japan or South Korea? I have, many times. I have teams in both countries, and can tell you, you are distorting facts to fit your fear.

And please save your condescending “quote this exchange as a case study” I have a BS two masters and a PhD and run a global risk management business.

I have offices in 20 countries around the world and have been dealing with the impact of COVID, not just from a sports perspective where this back and forth started, but real world situations that have real impacts on my teams and their families lives.

so go back and hide in you basement. And get tested when you go to RI, unless you work there or are going grocery shopping, or just passing through on your way to CT, in which case you don’t have to.

Or get educated.
Reading comprehension still low, I said I was in RI for a week and why your panties are in a bunch about me getting a test is really bizarre. Describe the harm from those particular tests and how that is worse than your smartest guy in the room advocacy to look for loopholes because you are so brazen about public safety. Somehow when talking about yourself you sound wonderful and powerful, when talking to and about others...

Reaction Score
We're totally screwing over young people. Old people are the ones in power and the ones who die from the virus yet they're strapping young people with an incredible burden going forward and some have the gall to blame young people. We're setting them up to fail, I've come to realize many old people are incredibly selfish.
I’d agree that the half-measures approach while detrimental to us all is most detrimental to 20-25 and maybe 5-13ish and most of their parents. But the answer isn’t let’s try quarter measures.

Reaction Score

The Boomer generation is collectively an incredibly selfish one. They went to college when it cost 45 cents a class, and your house was the price of a loaf of bread. As a group, they're unwilling to do things for others that don't even negatively affect them. As much as we make fun of kids being out of touch these days, I have seen more empathy from them as a group than any 50+ group by far.

Reaction Score
The Boomer generation is collectively an incredibly selfish one. They went to college when it cost 45 cents a class, and your house was the price of a loaf of bread. As a group, they're unwilling to do things for others that don't even negatively affect them. As much as we make fun of kids being out of touch these days, I have seen more empathy from them as a group than any 50+ group by far.
Thank you...older/old people like to place blame on young people. I don't think it's ever more evident than it is right now. When you're young you're almost supposed to screw up, it's a part of your DNA, it's a part of growing up. We're dealing with a once in a century pandemic where adults have completely screwed up every step of the way and yet I'm seeing old people say "young people" are selfish. Give me a break.

Old people are the ones who run everything and they are the ones who die from the virus. Why should young people have to put their lives on hold for well over a year? The younger generations are the first generations who are positioned worse off than their parents and we're telling them to indefinitely put everything on hold for the "greater good." The selfish group in this equation and the ones letting us down with their decisions are the adults.

Kids aren't being properly educated and socialized, we're canceling their sports, we're telling them not to hang out with their friends and we're seeing politicians and presidents of schools have the nerve to call them selfish and placing all the blame on them when we put them in untenable situations where they are set up for failure. When they're all living at home years from now because we destroyed their economic futures they'll be blamed again for being "lazy" and not being able to live on their own.

Reaction Score

Amen. There is no doubt about this, really the entire thrust and outcome of boomer political domination has been a combination of strip-mining the country's treasury & poisoning our body politic. The history books written about these past 30 years will be incredibly harsh.

But as satisfying as it is to say "hell with them let them reap what they sow" that is both not the correct public policy response or the ethical/moral/ or even most effective response.

It has to be to lead with empathy and sideline the bad actors while fortifying positive social norms around sacrifice and duty and outcome-based public policy. It's not sexy, but this pandemic has really exposed the gaping void of adults in the room in US political and ethical leadership.

Reaction Score
Thank you...older/old people like to place blame on young people. I don't think it's ever more evident than it is right now. When you're young you're almost supposed to screw up, it's a part of your DNA, it's a part of growing up. We're dealing with a once in a century pandemic where adults have completely screwed up every step of the way and yet I'm seeing old people say "young people" are selfish. Give me a break.

Old people are the ones who run everything and they are the ones who die from the virus. Why should young people have to put their lives on hold for well over a year? The younger generations are the first generations who are positioned worse off than their parents and we're telling them to indefinitely put everything on hold for the "greater good." The selfish group in this equation and the ones letting us down with their decisions are the adults.

Kids aren't being properly educated and socialized, we're canceling their sports, we're telling them not to hang out with their friends and we're seeing politicians and presidents of schools have the nerve to call them selfish and placing all the blame on them when we put them in untenable situations where they are set up for failure. When they're all living at home years from now because we destroyed their economic futures they'll be blamed again for being "lazy" and not being able to live on their own.

I'm 35 so I'm in the middle of the two generations here, but we need to tell youngs to put their lives on hold for however long it takes because that is what we do. We have a duty to take care of each other, even if the olds selfishly did not model this behavior. It is also the proper public health policy. Look at the countries that have done it right - completely lock everything - EVERYTHING - down to smother the virus, have massive instant testing. It works, we just need people to do it, and national leadership that will demand it.

Reaction Score

Or get educated.

This is awesome! You told me to get educated, so I wanted you to know that your attempt to bully me was a total facepalm. I'm not an expert like you but when negotiating I've heard you never want to get over your skis making assumptions about your adversaries cuz you could look really silly, which undermines your position and increases risk.

Appreciate the Biography, much better that you are an expert in Risk Management for the purposes of my paper! I realize this is a public forum so I don't need your permission only screenshots :)

Another of the lessons of this pandemic has been that so-called "experts" or "leaders" have really failed to properly model proper behavior, which leads to public confusion around standards and procedures. This could be a great example of that, confusing fear with duty on a public forum and attempting to use bullying tactics rather than logic. Can you send me your LinkedIn via DM? I really appreciate it will be super helpful!

thx brother.

Reaction Score

Or get educated.

Another one for the Risk Management Expert - Sturgis Rally this year was held with the support of Governor Kristi Noem - You can find her quote IN THIS ARTICLE from 3 weeks ago. So, for all intents and purposes as a matter of law and listening to the experts they followed that guidance.

And yet they could have, out of an abundance of safety, respect, and duty to protect their fellow countrymen, they could/should have chosen to postpone their stupid motorcycle rally.

Instead...

The rally could be the single point of dissemination for 250,000 cases at a cost of $12 Billion to US Taxpayers.

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 12.30.21 AM.png

So tell me again, should they have felt more fear? or was their Fear/Risk Matrix properly calibrated? They followed the letter of the law and guidance, after all just as you are.

And yet, here we still are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32