OT: Baseball is screwed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1595870586774.png

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Look at it this way: ATL plays Miami last week in a scrimmage for a few games. ATL plays the Mets. Miami plays the Phillies. Yanks play Phillies and Mets are in Boston. Symptoms can take 5-14 days to start showing and usually 5-7 days for a positive test. That means just this week alone the Marlins, Mets, Phillies, Braves, Yanks and Boston could’ve been exposed. The season won’t be cancelled now (although I wonder if it would’ve been diff had it been the Yanks or dodgers, Cubs, etc instead of the Marlins), but I give it till mid-August latest.

Not to derail this thread, but this sort of thing just makes it obvious that kids going back to school is going to be a disaster.

Reaction Score
It is, but to a lesser degree. Lots of at-risk teachers, aides, nurses, and adminstration are going to die if kids go back to school.
I disagree, I think kids not being in school for this prolonged amount of time is creating a lost generation of kids. They aren't being educated and socialized, physical and sexual abuse is way up. They aren't really dying from the virus but children are by far the biggest casualty of the virus.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I disagree, I think kids not being in school for this prolonged amount of time is creating a lost generation of kids. They aren't being educated and socialized, physical and sexual abuse is way up. They aren't really dying from the virus but children are by far the biggest casualty of the virus.

Better lost than dead, brain damaged, organ damaged or heart damaged, no?

We simply dont know enough about this virus but what we are learning is it could be terrifying even for survivors.

You dont have kids, do you?

Reaction Score
Do teachers have that option this fall?
No. My wife started back today. This morning was spent in conference room with maybe 100 teachers, poor ventilation, barely 3 feet apart, most without masks. We have done everything possible to avoid the virus, but it’s out of our hands now. If she “opted out” of this year, there is a year penalty before she can return, so you lose 2 years. I’d be ok and try to survive without her salary, but it screws up retirement dates, rehire potential, etc. No testing for teachers, staff or students so I have to believe there were several people in that room with Covid.

Reaction Score

We simply dont know enough about this virus but what we are learning is it could be terrifying even for survivors.

I love people who try to argue that kids going to school is saving lives. No proof. Hey, I just drove in my car and didn’t kill someone. I saved lives. In this pandemic I am more believing that stopping the spreading of this virus saves lives. And that happens in hot zones if kids are NOT in school.

Reaction Score

Where are all the dead and brain damaged kids? The virus has been around for 6 months, we should see evidence by now of all these dead kids, schools have been open in Europe for a while and I still haven't seen evidence from there either.

August_West

Reaction Score
No. My wife started back today. This morning was spent in conference room with maybe 100 teachers, poor ventilation, barely 3 feet apart, most without masks. We have done everything possible to avoid the virus, but it’s out of our hands now. If she “opted out” of this year, there is a year penalty before she can return, so you lose 2 years. I’d be ok and try to survive without here salary, but is screws up retirement dates, rehire potential, etc. no testing for teachers, staff or students so I have to believe there were several people in that room with Covid.

Thats distressing to hear and I hope for the best for you and your family.

When people point to MLB employees having a "choice" as a way of saving an idiotic sports season in the short term (and I love idiotic sports, thats why we are all here on this message board obviously) I cant help but think that there are actual working people in this world that have NO choice, yet so many think baseball is important. And I have to ask? Why? Covid can kill us . No baseball in 2020 may be unpleasant but we can survive that. I may feel like I wanna die when the UConn men's season is subsequently suspended, but Im not actually gonna die from it, loaded team and first season back in BigEast nonwitstanding.

August_West

Reaction Score
Where are all the dead and brain damaged kids? The virus has been around for 6 months, we should see evidence by now of all these dead kids, schools have been open in Europe for a while and I still haven't seen evidence from there either.

We should? Are you sure about that?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thats distressing to hear and I hope for the best for you and your family.

When people point to MLB employees having a "choice" as a way of saving an idiotic sports season in the short term (and I love idiotic sports, thats why we are all here on this message board obviously) I cant help but think that there are actual working people in this world that have NO choice, yet so many think baseball is important. And I have to ask? Why? Covid can kill us . No baseball in 2020 may be unpleasant but we can survive that. I may feel like I wanna die when the UConn men's season is subsequently suspended, but Im not actually gonna die from it, loaded team and first season back in BigEast nonwitstanding.

I get it, but you can die driving to work. You can die from the flu. You can die from pneumonia or bronchitis. And no, this isn't significantly more risky than those are for most people, and is less risky for other people, including kids. Life isn't risk free. People who want to just keep things closed, even baseball are assigning a level of risk to this disease that it doesn't deserve.

Protect the at risk population, definitely. No 66 year old teacher should be teaching in a classroom, put him or her on zoom, hire a 20 year old to watch the class and hand out assignments. My daughter's school is going to employ a version of that.

Meanwhile I see idiotic things like 6 feet apart in a school room. What? Seriously? Distance is irrelevant in a room that small with 20 people in it. Fortunately the results from Europe suggest that kids don't really spread it to adults easily in a classroom situation.

Reaction Score
You can't approach the school (or MLB) topic with a binary either/or solution. There isn't a "good" option between not sending kids to school and sending them to school. They can't be unilaterally kept home for another four months on a vague premise of "saving lives" because of the demonstrable educational/social/mental/physical detriment. Similarly, you also can't unilaterally send them all to school and just hope nothing bad happens because of the demonstrable risk of major virus spread.

Therefore, solutions tailored to specific schools and towns need to be what happens. Monetary investments in PPE and temporary barriers are essential. Long overdue physical upgrades to school buildings along with some innovative though should occur (should have already) - along the lines of upgraded HVAC, installation of germicidal UV lights to increase safety in a space. Out-of-the-box thinking of use of space in a school building, scheduling, class-passing.

There's too much square peg into round hole planning going on utilizing dated infrastructure and untenable ideas. Everyone can agree the ultimate goal should be to have all children in school - however, that's not likely safe or possible across the board. That doesn't mean leaders and educators should throw their hands up and say ah screw it we'll do it all online again.

Other countries are effectively sending kids to school, albeit in an adjusted manner. It *can* be done, we just have to decide to invest the thought, money, and time to make it happen.

Not to mention, it should be 100% mandatory across the board in every school district at all grade levels that some element of mental health education is a component of the curriculum. The underlying secondary pandemic that no one is paying attention to right now is a mental health one. The least we can do is start addressing it with our kids.

Reaction Score
What is essential is irrelevant really. Every job is essential to the people who have those jobs. Baseball players have very short careers. The case for college sports is much weaker, but you still have players who will potentially miss their window.

As @superjohn said, at some point we will need to just accept that this disease is out there and people get it and move on with living normal lives. I don't think we are there yet, but people thinking it is going away, even in places with low spread, aren't being realistic. Whether half measures or full measures, this is still going to extend indefinitely.
The trick with this is to minimize the damage. And we know how to do it. In fact it has been done in Connecticut in Europe in New Zealand. But the knuckleheads who claim it is a hoax, won’t wear masks, claim it’s only the flu, young people don’t get it all that nonsense because they don’t want to be inconvenienced a bit

Reaction Score
I get it, but you can die driving to work. You can die from the flu. You can die from pneumonia or bronchitis. And no, this isn't significantly more risky than those are for most people, and is less risky for other people, including kids. Life isn't risk free. People who want to just keep things closed, even baseball are assigning a level of risk to this disease that it doesn't deserve.

Protect the at risk population, definitely. No 66 year old teacher should be teaching in a classroom, put him or her on zoom, hire a 20 year old to watch the class and hand out assignments. My daughter's school is going to employ a version of that.

Meanwhile I see idiotic things like 6 feet apart in a school room. What? Seriously? Distance is irrelevant in a room that small with 20 people in it. Fortunately the results from Europe suggest that kids don't really spread it to adults easily in a classroom situation.
What we knew yesterday isn’t true today with this virus particularly long term medical ramifications. Kids coming home aren’t spreading it to adults 100%? Let’s see the study.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Im not rooting for the virus to spread. Im rooting for people to be smart in the face of it. I know thats too much to ask, but Im asking anyway.

How did those awesome protocols serve the marlins?
Amazing how people have no clue about this virus after 6 months. We either do what needs to be done until a vaccine or viable treatment becomes available, or go through having to back off opening constantly which is not any good for the economy. Yanks vs Phils already cancelled. Americans are clearly more thickheaded than the rest of the world. At least if baseball ends today, the Sox finish last.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's weird what quarantine has done. I like following stats, but I don't watch NBA, but I actually plan on watching more WNBA than NBA and I'm a 34 year old who is not a season ticket holder for UConn's women's team. I'd like to check out the teams with multiple UConn representation.
I've also really gotten into English Premier League soccer. Games are on in the day and I'm home.

Reaction Score
While I think David Price is a gigantic nozzle, I think his tweet hit the nail on the head.

Reaction Score
No. My wife started back today. This morning was spent in conference room with maybe 100 teachers, poor ventilation, barely 3 feet apart, most without masks. We have done everything possible to avoid the virus, but it’s out of our hands now. If she “opted out” of this year, there is a year penalty before she can return, so you lose 2 years. I’d be ok and try to survive without her salary, but it screws up retirement dates, rehire potential, etc. No testing for teachers, staff or students so I have to believe there were several people in that room with Covid.

What state is this in? That sounds awful...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom