OT: - Baseball is screwed! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Baseball is screwed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When I was a kid we use to play bb with 4 on a team. You would have a pitcher, left fielder, center fielder and ss. Any ground ball hit if thrown to the pitcher before the runner reached first was an out. Batting team supplied catcher No balls or strikes called. I think a foul ball was a strike all the time.

maybe MLB should try this format.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Whelp if you dont allow for people not following protocol (and all it takes is one) , then its probably not a solid system in the face of the risks.

If you are arguing that the rules are to blame if someone breaks them, rather than the rule breaker being to blame, then I think our discussion has reached an impasse.

Reaction Score
MLB went a different way from the other leagues. However all thave the rule that two negative tests in a 24-hour period mens the players can return. Golf which goes from city to city is returning guys who tested postive in previous weeks. Watney tested positive in South Carolina finshed 12th in Minnesota. From a health (not baseball) perspective there is a big difference between testing positive and getting sick.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If you are arguing that the rules are to blame if someone breaks them, rather than the rule breaker being to blame, then I think our discussion has reached an impasse.

Not "to blame" just common sense.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

When designing and implementing a process it is wise to consider reasonable human factors that can fudge up an otherwise good plan. Humans have a long history of interjecting their humanity into process trees.

Reaction Score
Dwight Howard asked why players needed to wear masks in the bubble, something to the effect of "It's not like the virus is floating around in the air." I think Mr. Howard has been living in a bubble, so he should feel right at home in the NBA bubble.

Reaction Score
It's certainly possible this is going to have a domino effect, but baseball has planned for this and knew this was a possibility. Rather than rooting for the virus to spread, I'm going to hold out hope that the protocols they developed with advisory from the medical community will keep the season afloat. The players and coaches who opted to play this season are fully aware of these protocols and the risks associated with playing this season.

But if you want to root for Covid to keep spreading among the people in MLB to "stick it to the dumb southern states", I guess that's your right.
What about airplane charter staff, hotel staff, umpires, familly members of players, team chefs, stadium/team staff, literally anyone who comes in contact with these players and didn't agree to the risk. This has little to do with baseball roster sizes or even the players. They agreed to TRY to play the season. There was always the very real chance it wasn't going to work. As things get worse, expectations change and are managed accordingly. I don't know anyone rooting for this to spread to stick it to anyone. Maybe people hope that many in the southern states see now that it's not a hoax and will finally take it seriously and take the proper precautions.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
You keep talking about how baseball planned for this, what exactly do you think the plan was? Because I can't imagine it was let 12 players on one team get infected. Or to have people get tested then go play 2 games against another team while waiting for the results to come back.

I will agree that the system either did not work or was not followed regarding the delayed testing results. That is unacceptable. And if the protocol was to play with pending tests, the protocols need to be reexamined if they actually want to keep players healthy and this season to happen.

But the league knew there would be positive tests throughout the season. They expanded clubs from the traditional 40-man roster to 60-man roster so a team can be fielded in the event of an outbreak. I'm sure they didn't think it would happen the first weekend. Clearly the Marlins aren't playing today and will probably not be playing for a few days while this gets sorted out. The same should go for the Yankees / Phillies who are supposed to be playing each other starting today.

All I'm saying is, let's give this a few days to sort itself and figure out the source. They need to know if it was a failure of the protocols or if the protocols were intentionally broken. I'm holding out hope, because 2020 has sucked and having baseball back has helped a little.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
What about airplane charter staff, hotel staff, umpires, familly members of players, team chefs, stadium/team staff, literally anyone who comes in contact with these players and didn't agree to the risk. This has little to do with baseball roster sizes or even the players. They agreed to TRY to play the season. There was always the very real chance it wasn't going to work. As things get worse, expectations change and are managed accordingly. I don't know anyone rooting for this to spread to stick it to anyone. Maybe people hope that many in the southern states see now that it's not a hoax and will finally take it seriously and take the proper precautions.

Anyone associated with baseball (umpires, team chefs, stadium workers, team staff, etc.) all had the option to opt out of the season. No one forced them to participate.

As for the others (hotel staff, airlines / airport staff) either they only have a job now because the MLB is using their services or their hotels / airlines would be serving other customers, many of which are not frequently tested and under strict protocols like the MLB players are.

I'm not trying to minimize the risk of Covid or call it a hoax. I actually had it myself last month (I live in Nashville) and luckily it wasn't bad, but I know for others it can be. But unless we plan to literally shut everything down until we have a widely available vaccine, which could be another year or two, life should go on, albeit while doing what we can to minimize the risks. People in the MLB circle and those they come in contact with are far safer than the essential workers in the general public like grocery store clerks, nurses, Fedex drivers, etc, because of the constant testing the players undergo.

Reaction Score
MLS is going well. I've been enjoying it. I've watched more MLS soccer in the last month than I have in my life prior.
Yeah, it's weird what quarantine has done. I like following stats, but I don't watch NBA, but I actually plan on watching more WNBA than NBA and I'm a 34 year old who is not a season ticket holder for UConn's women's team. I'd like to check out the teams with multiple UConn representation.

Reaction Score
Anyone associated with baseball (umpires, team chefs, stadium workers, team staff, etc.) all had the option to opt out of the season. No one forced them to participate.

As for the others (hotel staff, airlines / airport staff) either they only have a job now because the MLB is using their services or their hotels / airlines would be serving other customers, many of which are not frequently tested and under strict protocols like the MLB players are.

I'm not trying to minimize the risk of Covid or call it a hoax. I actually had it myself last month (I live in Nashville) and luckily it wasn't bad, but I know for others it can be. But unless we plan to literally shut everything down until we have a widely available vaccine, which could be another year or two, life should go on, albeit while doing what we can to minimize the risks. People in the MLB circle and those they come in contact with are far safer than the essential workers in the general public like grocery store clerks, nurses, Fedex drivers, etc, because of the constant testing the players undergo.

Doesn't mean anything if they thumb their noses @ what's staring them in their face.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When I was a kid we use to play bb with 4 on a team. You would have a pitcher, left fielder, center fielder and ss. Any ground ball hit if thrown to the pitcher before the runner reached first was an out. Batting team supplied catcher No balls or strikes called. I think a foul ball was a strike all the time.

maybe MLB should try this format.
Or maybe something like this:

Reaction Score
Dwight Howard asked why players needed to wear masks in the bubble, something to the effect of "It's not like the virus is floating around in the air." I think Mr. Howard has been living in a bubble, so he should feel right at home in the NBA bubble.

Dwight is a top flight idiot. His COVID takes are the least disturbing of the stuff he believes.

2020 has been one hell of a reminder that most professional athletes are as dumb as a rock.

Reaction Score
As a baseball hater. This could be my all time favorite thread title.

Reaction Score
I got news for you baseball has been screwed with Manfred as commissioner. Giving the Astros a slap on the wrist and that’s only because it was brought to the public eye.

Is it a coincidence that there was a thunderstorm the very second he was getting interviewed by ESPN, notice there was lightning in the background when he was speaking.

Reaction Score
Doesn't mean anything if they thumb their noses @ what's staring them in their face.

If this doesn’t drive Manfred out of the sport nothing will complete negligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom