OT: - Baseball is screwed! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Baseball is screwed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What about airplane charter staff, hotel staff, umpires, familly members of players, team chefs, stadium/team staff, literally anyone who comes in contact with these players and didn't agree to the risk. This has little to do with baseball roster sizes or even the players. They agreed to TRY to play the season. There was always the very real chance it wasn't going to work. As things get worse, expectations change and are managed accordingly. I don't know anyone rooting for this to spread to stick it to anyone. Maybe people hope that many in the southern states see now that it's not a hoax and will finally take it seriously and take the proper precautions.
I don’t know what the plan is now but I can tell you what it should have been. Complete isolation of team and staff at work and home. No room service at hotels, buffet team hotel meals with no service. Private charters with dedicated isolated charter staff. No family contact for 3 months of season and playoff. They obviously did not go that far, and now the season will be in jeopardy.

Reaction Score
Anyone associated with baseball (umpires, team chefs, stadium workers, team staff, etc.) all had the option to opt out of the season. No one forced them to participate.

As for the others (hotel staff, airlines / airport staff) either they only have a job now because the MLB is using their services or their hotels / airlines would be serving other customers, many of which are not frequently tested and under strict protocols like the MLB players are.

I'm not trying to minimize the risk of Covid or call it a hoax. I actually had it myself last month (I live in Nashville) and luckily it wasn't bad, but I know for others it can be. But unless we plan to literally shut everything down until we have a widely available vaccine, which could be another year or two, life should go on, albeit while doing what we can to minimize the risks. People in the MLB circle and those they come in contact with are far safer than the essential workers in the general public like grocery store clerks, nurses, Fedex drivers, etc, because of the constant testing the players undergo.

It can be done people gotta have better discipline, sports teams gotta basically have military discipline to pull this off.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think it's a bit crazy that the NBA is trying to finish their season but they're the only ones with a prayer. They went a full week without a positive COVID test.

MLB, NFL, etc. that think they can get away with normal travel don't have a prayer.

I’d bet on the nhl over the nba.

Reaction Score
Hasn't exactly been protocol during games, either. As much as I loved watching the Yankees again I cringed every time someone high-fived or hugged in the dugout. Not to mention Boone wasn't even wearing his mask correctly half the time. This was always going to be difficult seeing as we never (even tried) to get levels down to as low as Germany or other European countries before they brought back soccer.

Crazy thing is Clint Frazier of all people took it the most seriously then he gets screwed over getting sent down.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think it's a bit crazy that the NBA is trying to finish their season but they're the only ones with a prayer. They went a full week without a positive COVID test.

MLB, NFL, etc. that think they can get away with normal travel don't have a prayer.

It's no different for college basketball in the fall/winter. We need to prepare for that.

The reality is you play the games, guys test positive and you simply don't worry about that or you don't play. It's not reasonable to think you can actually play and travel and not have people test positive.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Its was absolutely asinine that they even tried to play.

Its asinine that other sports leagues think they can get away with it too,

Just like its asinine that southern states "opened" up when they had a 2 month heads up about Covid prevention from the ground zero northeast but now are spiking because of it.

We couldn’t trust information from China. However Italy was a better canary in the coal mine. Lot’s of people in the northeast and in this forum focused on the difference between Italy and our country. Furthermore the prevailing opinion early on about Covid-19 was no different than the flu.

You would think we’re well past the “fool me once shame on you stage”. Sadly cynicism, misinformation (some unintentional, some deliberate) and this being a totally new type of virus has lead to the world wide disaster we are experiencing.

I’ve been an alarmist from the beginning of this pandemic. Almost everything I’ve predicted has unfortunately come to fruition. Ultimately we will have solutions to this virus that will reduce its catastrophic impact on the world.

I am praying that my biggest concerns will not happen. The prevailing opinion currently is that we need to do things to prevent the spread to protect the vulnerable. The current understanding is that children and young adults get primarily a mild reaction or no reaction and therefore precautions for these groups are unnecessary.

Problem is we still lack some vital information. For instance we don’t know if simultaneous exposure to the flu and Covid-19 viruses will result in a similar innocuous reaction in these groups as currently observed. If not, having kids go back to school can be a horrible disaster.

Additionally it has been demonstrated that this virus can disguise itself and literally create “sleeper cells”. The good news is the mechanism is understood and the protein the virus creates to prevent immune detection could be a point of vulnerability. The bad news is we don’t know if this is the virus’ only defense, we don’t know when a medicine can be developed for this, nor do we know the cost if a large percentage of the population requires continuous treatment to attack this mechanism.

This is pure speculation on my part. But when it comes to children I’m overly cautious. I deliberated a long time before expressing these concerns in this forum. Up until now I’ve only relayed these concerns to my wife. She advised me not to communicate my concerns to others because if I’m wrong it will make already stressed individuals even more stressed particularly if they do not have any options to keep their children home a little longer.

I’ve weighed that against the possibility I might be correct and that one individual who was debating a choice of how to approach this issue would consider the information and approach their pediatricians or doctors to ask more questions.

Reaction Score
MLB did not have a plan for this.

There is too much money at stake to trust anyone to do the right thing

Not defending Lou Williams, but going to Magic City just for the food is actually plausible. Dumb move considering the optics, but it is plausible.

Reaction Score
Anyone associated with baseball (umpires, team chefs, stadium workers, team staff, etc.) all had the option to opt out of the season. No one forced them to participate.

As for the others (hotel staff, airlines / airport staff) either they only have a job now because the MLB is using their services or their hotels / airlines would be serving other customers, many of which are not frequently tested and under strict protocols like the MLB players are.

I'm not trying to minimize the risk of Covid or call it a hoax. I actually had it myself last month (I live in Nashville) and luckily it wasn't bad, but I know for others it can be. But unless we plan to literally shut everything down until we have a widely available vaccine, which could be another year or two, life should go on, albeit while doing what we can to minimize the risks. People in the MLB circle and those they come in contact with are far safer than the essential workers in the general public like grocery store clerks, nurses, Fedex drivers, etc, because of the constant testing the players undergo.
That's kind of the point though. Baseball is not essential. There is a lot of real estate between life must go on and play baseball so we have something to watch on TV. I want life back as much as anyone, but if we continue with half measures this will only extend longer.

Reaction Score
Good I'm also rooting for the same thing.

The jury is still out on that. Before we can jump to any conclusions we need to figure out where the players got virus (most likely). Was it in the general course of traveling to and from the hotel and ball park? Or were the players going out to bars and restaurants in Miami / Atlanta?

I will agree, that if it they players were following the protocols and picked it up inside the strict rules the MLB has laid out, the season should be reconsidered. But if the players broke those protocols, then we can't fault the system.
No. But people are people. All it takes is 1 person, even unintentionally/ accidentally to do something dumb and you can go from all the protocols you want to what, 15 cases.

Reaction Score
Yankees/Phillies has been postponed

Hopefully, Joel Sherman is wrong saying it is cancelled and not just postponed. Big difference between those two words.

Reaction Score
Yankees should just play 3 vs the Orioles in the Bronx, would make sense travel wise as the Orioles just played 3 games in Fenway.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's kind of the point though. Baseball is not essential. There is a lot of real estate between life must go on and play baseball so we have something to watch on TV. I want life back as much as anyone, but if we continue with half measures this will only extend longer.

What is essential is irrelevant really. Every job is essential to the people who have those jobs. Baseball players have very short careers. The case for college sports is much weaker, but you still have players who will potentially miss their window.

As @superjohn said, at some point we will need to just accept that this disease is out there and people get it and move on with living normal lives. I don't think we are there yet, but people thinking it is going away, even in places with low spread, aren't being realistic. Whether half measures or full measures, this is still going to extend indefinitely.

Reaction Score
It probably is wishful thinking on my part considering how pitiful the Red Sox starting rotation is this year. It could be a "long" short season for the Sox. I'll just have to reminisce about the 4 series wins in the 2000s!
Unfortunately pitching is a disaster and will be all year, and the offense is not loaded with enough weapons to cover for it. Not impressed with the managers moves already 3 games in. Ownership is not interested in winning and looking to milk the past.

Reaction Score
Who thinks it's going away? The states that "got on with their life" are hotspots now. Miles between Connecticut or Europe and what we see in Florida now. Having sports outside a bubble in hotspot states is destined to fail right now. Do the work now and you have a chance later on. It's hard feeling bad for millionaire baseball players missing a year when them playing affects so many people other than themselves. Millions are out of work. Players missing a season barely registers. They will still be insured even without playing unlike other people. I do feel bad for all the minor league players though.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, Joel Sherman is wrong saying it is cancelled and not just postponed. Big difference between those two words.

it was originally announced as canceled but they are now using postponed.

Reaction Score
Do teachers have that option this fall?

Yes and no.. Depending on having pre-existing conditions and if you're tenured the union has sent us emails saying it's an available option. However, I would imagine the paper trail needed would be extraordinary.

As far as baseball, it was a matter of time. With loose rules pretty much up and down the board, leaving these guys to their own devices it hasn't shocked me to see 3-4 guys pop up as positive per day.

It was fun while it lasted! This weekend was fun as hell being able to flip around on the MLB ticket from game to game all afternoon and evening... Oh well!

Reaction Score
When u slide over the back fence to go to a strip club, u'r asking for it. Whatever u believe on the guidlines, pro athletes don't have both oars in the water.

With politics re-introduced into pro sports, attendance, even TV watching, will plummet. Krapchick lesson went unheeded.

Last edited:

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
We need a complete and total lockdown, i.e., no citizens leaving their houses for any reason whatsoever, until midnight madness. #casualfan

Reaction Score
Look at it this way: ATL plays Miami last week in a scrimmage for a few games. ATL plays the Mets. Miami plays the Phillies. Yanks play Phillies and Mets are in Boston. Symptoms can take 5-14 days to start showing and usually 5-7 days for a positive test. That means just this week alone the Marlins, Mets, Phillies, Braves, Yanks and Boston could’ve been exposed. The season won’t be cancelled now (although I wonder if it would’ve been diff had it been the Yanks or dodgers, Cubs, etc instead of the Marlins), but I give it till mid-August latest.

Reaction Score
We need a complete and total lockdown, i.e., no citizens leaving their houses for any reason whatsoever, until midnight madness. #casualfan
This is the only thing that would work or something very close to this. Manfred did a bad job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom