OT: - Baseball is screwed! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Baseball is screwed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hartsfield airport in Atlanta has a sardine can subway transport system between terminals that I have been in 50 times if once. No feckin' way right now. No way.

I always do the walk between terminals unless I am smashed for time and have to go 3 or 4 terminals to catch connector.

Reaction Score
What we knew yesterday isn’t true today with this virus particularly long term medical ramifications. Kids coming home aren’t spreading it to adults 100%? Let’s see the study.

Yes, this is already not true. Sorry, I can't recall the source but I was reading an article in the last week or so that was specifically describing instances of children transmitting the disease to adults. Maybe it's less likely, we probably don't know the odds at this point. But we now know it happens. There are legitimate points to be made on all sides and its difficult to know what the best solution is at this point.

Public schools where I live have given families a choice. You can sign up for the "virtual academy" and take everything online. Alternatively, your student can go for in-person classes one day a week. In this scenario, everyone is virtual on Fridays and attends one day a week based alphabetically on your last name. We're going with this option. Our student is miserable at home and struggling with isolation and my wife and I are low risk.

My other student's university pulled a massive eleventh-hour change yesterday. Only freshmen and sophomores will now be allowed on campus in the Fall and only juniors and seniors in the spring (of course all kinds of exceptions for athletes whether or not their sport is in-season). They also have the option to do everything online. My student is a sophomore and has opted not to return to campus. Her best friend is a junior and won't be there and her sophomore friends have all opted to do it virtually or take a leave of absence for a year. So, no point in paying room and board when most or all of the classes will be done virtually anyway. Its going to be a miserable year at home but perhaps this is better than a similarly miserable year away from home that costs a lot more money. Side note, the school had the nerve to increase tuition 3% despite becoming a pseudo-correspondence school for the year. I could have done with out that.

I guess I feel that in the grand scheme of things, trying to squeeze in a ridiculously truncated baseball season is a low priority.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I disagree, I think kids not being in school for this prolonged amount of time is creating a lost generation of kids. They aren't being educated and socialized, physical and sexual abuse is way up. They aren't really dying from the virus but children are by far the biggest casualty of the virus.

You disagree that a lot of adults are going to die? It hasn't been proven that kids don't spread this disease, and as long as that's the case, opening up schools will put a ton of teachers, aides, nurses, administrators, AND older people that live with kids at home in danger.

Reaction Score
Yes, this is already not true. Sorry, I can't recall the source but I was reading an article in the last week or so that was specifically describing instances of children transmitting the disease to adults.

South Korea via NYT?
>>A large new study from South Korea offers an answer: Children younger than 10 transmit to others much less often than adults do, but the risk is not zero. And those between the ages of 10 and 19 can spread the virus at least as well as adults do.<<

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
You disagree that a lot of adults are going to die? It hasn't been proven that kids don't spread this disease, and as long as that's the case, opening up schools will put a ton of teachers, aides, nurses, administrators, AND older people that live with kids at home in danger.
I disagree with your assertion that kids at home is less of a disaster than kids at school.

Reaction Score
I'm not following the 'Europe' schools. Which countries exactly are back at school and what were their infection rates prior to re-starting?

Most US company offices aren't comfortable opening at anything >50% yet, and most people don't want to use public transportation. Plus Just like the sports, certain ACHIEVABLE protocols and ENFORCEABLE safety measures have to be in place for opening schools to work without leading to more shutdowns and statistically inevitable bad outcomes. Yet most of those clamoring for schools to OPEN!! don't want to even spend the thought necessary to figure out what is possible and safe. As soon as it gets hard or the possibility of following a plan which may lead to scaling back is laid out, may reactions are 'just live with it' which comes off as an odds playing self-interested response.

I've seen schools (private) with good comprehensive plans for operating, but for public schools what is safe isn't yet possible. Simply changing the wording might help, instead of we have to open schools how about we want to OPERATE schools as productively as possible. This hopefully includes as much in-person learning as plausible, but the goal is teaching children not just sending them to a building. And of course decisions are a super local dependent on conditions on the ground, resources etc..

Reaction Score
I love baseball and I really wanted them to try but I have been enjoying the games with the expectation that they are just a temporary diversion. I have no expectation of a world series champion being crowned. Too many people either believe they wont get it or that it wont do any damage to them for us to control this without a bubble.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I disagree with your assertion that kids at home is less of a disaster than kids at school.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but the amount of spreading that sending these kids back to school will facilitate is not worth it to me. Our country has not controlled this virus like many others has, so comparing what could happen here to what has happened in countries where the virus has much lower numbers is irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Where are all the dead and brain damaged kids? The virus has been around for 6 months, we should see evidence by now of all these dead kids, schools have been open in Europe for a while and I still haven't seen evidence from there either.
There have been an admittedly small number but a number none the less of very ill children but as long as it’s someone else’s kid not a problem. Kids over 10 seem to be carriers though. So as long as they don’t have older/sicker parents, grandparent, siblings, teachers, school paras and support staff or others again no problem. Now in the real world...

Reaction Score
There have been an admittedly small number but a number none the less of very ill children but as long as it’s someone else’s kid not a problem. Kids over 10 seem to be carriers though. So as long as they don’t have older/sicker parents, grandparent, siblings, teachers, school paras and support staff or others again no problem. Now in the real world...
144 kids died from the flu this season in the US before a single person of any age died from Covid, I'm sure you did your "as long as it's someone else's kid not a problem" routine.

This has always been about protecting old and sick people from the virus, spare me the I don't care about sick children stuff.

Reaction Score
144 kids died from the flu this season in the US before a single person of any age died from Covid, I'm sure you did your "as long as it's someone else's kid not a problem" routine.

This has always been about protecting old and sick people from the virus, spare me the I don't care about sick children stuff.
Healthy people get sick and die from Covid. It has not always been about just protecting old and sick people. Even if it has been about that, the way to do that is by mitigating the spread by any means necessary. Kids in school does the opposite of that. Kids in school in Florida right now has disaster written all over it for a variety of reasons, some not about the kids themselves. I get there are downsides of not sending them to school but the downside of sending them seems so much more catastrophic. Worried about socializing and stunted learning is a legit concern. Child care a legit concern. At the risk of getting a bit dark for a second, potentially dead Mommy or Daddy seems like a worse outcome/concern. Just my opinion like you have yours.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

dont go full chud. Please. Youre not that.

Thats like the Tuberculosis meme "why dont we wear masks and quarantine for TB". Its lowest common denominator stuff. You realize that. I know you do.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Here is another one.

Germany can do this because they are well below the 5% thresh hold, have adequate testing that is more accurate than us and they get test results back quickly. Additionally they have adequate contact tracing to isolate individuals if an outbreak is detected. This country has some areas that have achieved these conditions and they can begin sending children to schools. Alcoa Tennessee is one of those communities. And they are prepared to immediately stop if their numbers go above the threshold. That is not the case with the vast majority of communities in this country.

Some of us continue to blame Covid-19 for the poor state of our economy. That is only partially correct. The handling of this pandemic by our leadership as well as many Americans from all walks of life not taking it seriously has been the primary destructive force.

Our inadequate response to this disease has put us at a serious disadvantage to those countries that have responded with science as opposed to carelessness or politics.

Reaction Score
dont go full chud. Please. Youre not that.

Thats like the Tuberculosis meme "why dont we wear masks and quarantine for TB". Its lowest common denominator stuff. You realize that. I know you do.
Not at all, how is that full chud? I'm going off of number of deaths, I'm going off docs and scientists, I'm going off of kids in school around the world. You get hung up on the word flu like Nelson does. It's not refutable, the flu is more deadly for children than Covid is. This is about protecting old and sick people, it's not about protecting kids.

The average age of death is around 80 years old, the overwhelming majority of people who die from it have multiple comorbidities. You're the one who threw out death and brain damage, show me the numbers of deaths and brain damage for children.

It blows my mind how little thought is being paid to the damage being done to kids. 4 out of 10 Chicago kids have received no education. You add that to no socialization, abuse at home, missing meals etc. and it's an enormous disaster. It bothers me that many of the same people fighting for social justice are demanding our schools stay closed. Black and brown kids are the ones who suffer the most, further left behind their peers.

Reaction Score
Healthy people get sick and die from Covid. It has not always been about just protecting old and sick people. Even if it has been about that, the way to do that is by mitigating the spread by any means necessary. Kids in school does the opposite of that. Kids in school in Florida right now has disaster written all over it for a variety of reasons, some not about the kids themselves. I get there are downsides of not sending them to school but the downside of sending them seems so much more catastrophic. Worried about socializing and stunted learning is a legit concern. Child care a legit concern. At the risk of getting a bit dark for a second, potentially dead Mommy or Daddy seems like a worse outcome/concern. Just my opinion like you have yours.

You could also implement year round schooling for couple years to make up for the lost time during this period. IMO the risk of sending kids back to school outweighs the lost learning. And it's not so much the kids safety as it is the teachers, counselors, coaches, parents of kids, grandparents of kids, etc

Reaction Score
"There is an entire forum for talking actual baseball. Let's keep the baseball talk there. This forum is all about basketball. "

Sure thing boss but maybe re-check the title of this thread. Just trying to inject a little UConn-related positive spin into a thread that has become testy.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
I have elementary-aged kids and I agree with sj.
agreed and there are plenty of stats showing the low risk for kids 10 and under. we've done a month+ at summer camp (indoors and out) with counselors masked and there have been no problems. if done correctly it can work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom