B1G | Page 62 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN)
4/19/13, 9:14 PM
Legends, Leaders gone in 2014 sources tell @espn. B1G East: IU, Md, Mich, MSU, OSU, PSU, RU; West: Ill, Iowa, Minn, Neb, NW, PU, Wis

B1G East...? Karma

Did get a giggle out of this one:

edsbs (@edsbs)
4/19/13, 9:27 PM
The Big Ten leaked the end of their cut-rate management seminar division names on Friday night during a nationally televised manhunt.

Reaction Score
I can't figure out how our new "visual identity" would fit in the B1G. Just about every other school has an old-school/majestic "visual identity".

Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN)
4/19/13, 9:14 PM
Legends, Leaders gone in 2014 sources tell @espn. B1G East: IU, Md, Mich, MSU, OSU, PSU, RU; West: Ill, Iowa, Minn, Neb, NW, PU, Wis

B1G East...? Karma

Did get a giggle out of this one:

edsbs (@edsbs)
4/19/13, 9:27 PM
The Big Ten leaked the end of their cut-rate management seminar division names on Friday night during a nationally televised manhunt.
Lot of big boy teams in the new B1G East...maybe they are getting ready to adopt a little puppy in the east and medium sized tiger out west.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Nothing majestic about them. They've just been playing big time football for over 100 years so you're familiar with them. What's majestic about these? We would fit right in
http://faithflex.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/big_ten_conference_pennants_20738big.jpg
A space-age generic husky is nothing "iconic". The block "C" definitely had the potential to be iconic, compared to the new logo. No one else uses a block "C", if I am correct.

The fact people can just look an an old-school looking letter and identify the school IS majestic.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The old uniforms were duller than s***. The new ones are a lot of things, but dull isn't one of them.

Neither has to worry about playing in the Big Ten, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
The old uniforms were duller than s***. The new ones are a lot of things, but dull isn't one of them.

Neither has to worry about playing in the Big Ten, unfortunately.

Don't get to worried. I don't see 14 teams in the B1G long term. There is proof they have already discussed larger models from Presidents and Athletic Directors. If no one leaves the ACC, which is likely, UCONN will be at the top of the list for Eastern schools for the B1G.

The timing is the unknown. My advice is, "Fake it until you make it."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think crazy uniforms preclude a team from the Big 10. You've seen Maryland I presume. Unless a turtle carrying a flag can be iconic, they are going to have a tough time getting back to iconic.

Reaction Score
A football program shallow in actual tradition isn't going to become iconic with a classic look. Smart move if you ask me - if you want to open some eyes, you need a sizzle factor and a block C attempt at emulating early 1900's football isn't doing it. It's time to differentiate, not conform to something we can't be part of. The uconn FB brand right now is "boring". At a time of realignment, it brings little value as far as excitement. This is at least a start. It's also transitioning from a legendary basketball coach to someone with a very different style. Smart marketing isn't holding on, it's evolving with a changed product/market. I know the 40 plus year olds are adverse to the change, but that's emotional thinking.

Reaction Score
Don't get to worried. I don't see 14 teams in the B1G long term. There is proof they have already discussed larger models from Presidents and Athletic Directors. If no one leaves the ACC, which is likely, UCONN will be at the top of the list for Eastern schools for the B1G.

The timing is the unknown. My advice is, "Fake it until you make it."
Just had to bump to remind the emos.

Reaction Score
We clearly have an appeal to the B1G. We now have schools very closeby. We have to market the school. The best way to do so is by giving the fans of the B1G exactly what they want: a good time. They know our school and athletic department are good. So we have to tell them we are a perfect getaway weekend. This area even appeals to UConn recruits for that reason. They love the scenery in all ways.

DJ Dogpound has to go. We just want the band at football games.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
A space-age generic husky is nothing "iconic". The block "C" definitely had the potential to be iconic, compared to the new logo. No one else uses a block "C", if I am correct.

The fact people can just look an an old-school looking letter and identify the school IS majestic.

We need to get rid of the block head (P)

Reaction Score
Just shows how much bad blood there is right now between UConn fans and the ACC, earned or not.

It should be 100% B1G, 0% ACC and 0% AAC.

Seriously, even if we get into the ACC I would hate every school there except maybe UNC and UVA. They went to bat for us and they are the only two flagship state schools in the ACC. Rest of the ACC can eat and die. We have no business hanging around the AAC other than to buy some time. We got nothing in common with any of the schools in the AAC.

Reaction Score
We clearly have an appeal to the B1G. We now have schools very closeby. We have to market the school. The best way to do so is by giving the fans of the B1G exactly what they want: a good time. They know our school and athletic department are good. So we have to tell them we are a perfect getaway weekend. This area even appeals to UConn recruits for that reason. They love the scenery in all ways.

If B1G eventually wants to go to 16 schools and 4 pods, UConn fits in nicely in the Eastern pod with PSU, RU and Maryland. There really is no other competing school out there that is not locked in by the GOR.

Reaction Score
count me in the camp that hates the acc. my preference is big 10 first, big 12 second, and acc a reluctant 3rd. of note, my hate for the aac is still greater than my hate for the acc.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Point,

In that article you linked, Brandon noted that expansion will follow where the alumni are. If you think he is just looking at Michigan alumni v. B1G alumni (which I do) I came across these stats for UM alumni. In sum, B1G can't expand to CA, so where else do you go? I think UM would like to play live every year before its 35,000 alumni between NY and MA, and to help push the already paltry contributions from the region up. I am sure the other B1G schools looks familiar, but I am too lazy too look.

Where the people are: Top 10 states
  • Michigan: 211,025
  • California: 41,072
  • Illinois: 26,374
  • New York: 25,360
  • Florida: 16,422
  • Ohio: 14,136
  • Texas: 11,908
  • Massachusetts: 10,632
  • Virginia: 10,344
  • Maryland: 9,704

Where the money is: Top 10 states in alumni giving in fiscal 2012