B1G | Page 61 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I welcome links like this. There's not much going on right now so I'll take what I can get. BuffaloLion has to be a Uconn fan in disguise though. I think he posted on the WVU board as a Bama fan and now he's posting on the Michigan board as a UM fan? I could be wrong but I don't feel doing the research right now.
i think he follows psu from the thread. not sure though.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can't imagine anyone in any professional capacity posting confidential info on a message board, so I have a healthy skepticism about him. Still it is good to read someone making a case for us so consistently and so well.

Reaction Score
Educated guess or you know this to be fact?
He's mentioned in both sites that he is a PSU fan and that he does NOT think we're going to the B1G - unless there is a 2nd round of expansion to 20.

However he does keep referring to some report that Delany apparenty got that UConn kicks compared to BC and Cuse for long-term B1G interests. So he's saying IF the B1G does want to come back to the northeast someday, they would take UConn over Cuse and BC.

Reaction Score
I welcome links like this. There's not much going on right now so I'll take what I can get. BuffaloLion has to be a Uconn fan in disguise though. I think he posted on the WVU board as a Bama fan and now he's posting on the Michigan board as a UM fan? I could be wrong but I don't feel doing the research right now.

He always posts as a PSU fan/insider...

Reaction Score
The two things that always stick in my craw on this subject:

1. "The ACC didn't want UCONN". Not true, BC lobbied against us and in this last round, so did Cuse. We know this, it is common knowledge.

2. "UCONN is in a small market and its major city is small." Again, BS. Hartford is a major metro area stuck smack dab between two of America's greatest cities. It appears small because it doesn't shine like the big cities to the North and South. The market UConn brings is medium/large and fully captive to UConn sports.

Reaction Score
The two things that always stick in my craw on this subject:

1. "The ACC didn't want UCONN". Not true, BC lobbied against us and in this last round, so did Cuse. We know this, it is common knowledge.

2. "UCONN is in a small market and its major city is small." Again, BS. Hartford is a major metro area stuck smack dab between two of America's greatest cities. It appears small because it doesn't shine like the big cities to the North and South. The market UConn brings is medium/large and fully captive to UConn sports.

There was a lot of ignorance in that thread. Even about UConn football. Some of the people touting Cuse football were calling UConn football comical. Those guys also seem to forget that UConn has ventured into the heartland and won 3 games against well known teams from Indiana.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
And lost 3 games to teams from Michigan (Thanks P). Though I think most Michigan fans would rather forget the year we played them.

There are a lot of programs that have no business looking down on our program. (The entire ACC, WVU, ND) Michigan and Oklahoma aren't two of them.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
And lost 3 games to teams from Michigan (Thanks P). Though I think most Michigan fans would rather forget the year we played them.

There are a lot of programs that have no business looking down on our program. (The entire ACC, WVU, ND) Michigan and Oklahoma aren't two of them.

The posts though said UConn in the B10 would be comical.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The posts though said UConn in the B10 would be comical.

They are comical. The bottom of the B1G is bad.

B1G Teams we would beat often right from the jump. IU, Ill, NW, RU, MD, Minn, (VA)

Teams we'd struggle with but could beat. Iowa, Purdue, Mich St.

Teams we beat not very often at first, OSU, Mich, PSU, Wisky, Neb.

With a 9 game schedule in a pod with RU, MD and PSU. We'd win 3-6 conference games a year depending on the schedule. Which means we'd be bowl eligible most years. Hardly comical.

Reaction Score
A few weeks ago i aimlessly stumbled upon a UM board that had about a 4 page thread ranting about Uconn playing this years game at the rent. I currently live in Michigan, so i was not surprised at how arrogant they were, the obvious "we are going to slaughter them", "the new england area doesn't know CFB", but then they had the audacity to start b*tching and moaning about how small the rent was and how they want the game to be played at the meadowlands. They said that the game will only be a sellout to no small feat of the UM alums making the travel... After traveling to their crappy big house, they wanted us to move the game to a neutral feild. I'm not a huge CFB fan like i am CBB but i certainly cannot wait for this game... I seriously think we have a good shot at beating them.

Reaction Score

B1G Teams we would beat often right from the jump. IU, Ill, NW, RU, MD, Minn, (VA)

With a 9 game schedule in a pod with RU, MD and PSU. We'd win 3-6 conference games a year depending on the schedule. Which means we'd be bowl eligible most years. Hardly comical.

Only twist is that I believe that UConn only has 2 shots at getting into the B1G.
First, in the near term as a partner for UVA should none of the other ACC teams jump ship in 2013/14.
Second, as a long-term add-on should the B1G go to 20 and raid most of the ACC’s prized schools, including both UNC and Florida St. This would also force ND to join due to the emergence of 3 mega conferences with 20 teams each. UConn would be competing with Duke (as a mandated partner to UNC), Syracuse, BC, Kansas, and Missouri (very unlikely) for the final spot.
With 20 schools, I picture 4 pods with 5 teams each. UConn would likely be in an ‘East’ pod with Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State, and ND. Tough spot. UConn’s wins against Ohio St for the foreseeable future would be rare. UConn could beat ND and Penn State periodically and would be even with Rutgers.
Thus, who within the B1G UConn is paired with for cross-over games would be very important with respect to UConn’s bowl eligibility. If paired with Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, etc., UConn would be in a good spot. If paired with Florida State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc., not so good.
Of course, none of this is going to happen until the outcome of the Maryland/ACC suit is known. Go Terps!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
From the Boston Globe:
Governor Dannel P. Malloy’s $1.5 billion proposal to strengthen the sciences and boost enrollment at Connecticut’s flagship university has passed a key legislative hurdle. The General Assembly’s Finance, Revenue and Bonding Committee voted, 43 to 7, Tuesday to forward the bill for further consideration, despite some lawmakers’ concerns about cost. The legislation would build new labs and refurbish others, upgrade information technology, and renovate and build housing and parking at the University of Connecticut. The effort is expected to attract millions of dollars in research grants and boost the number of high-wage jobs in science and technology.

1) Good news for the university academically.

2) Progress on the road to AAU admission (or can we just say that we are a member of the AAC?)

3) Shows CT's commitment to its flagship university.

4) Think you'd find a blip about plans for UMass in the Courant? Nice statement of the Connecticut's reach and relevance in Boston.

Who is going to send it to Delany?

Reaction Score

Those are some white and blue colored glasses you've got on there, buddy. Here would be my projections:

B1G Teams we would beat often right from the jump: Indiana , (Virginia)
Teams we'd struggle with but could beat: Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, Minnesota, Maryland, Northwestern
Teams we beat not very often at first: Iowa, Ohio St., Mich, Mich St.,Penn St., Wisconsin, Nebraska.

Reaction Score
Those are some white and blue colored glasses you've got on there, buddy. Here would be my projections:

Teams we'd struggle with but could beat: Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, Minnesota, Maryland, Northwestern
Teams we beat not very often at first: Iowa, Ohio St., Mich, Mich St.,Penn St., Wisconsin, Nebraska.

I would put Minnesota in the we would beta more than lose to group ( win 2/3 of contests) as they did lose to ND State, a I-AA should, in 2011. Then again, I was in Storrs in the 1990’s when UConn, I-AA at the time, lost to Division II New Haven. Argh!
Beat Most of the time (win 66%) – Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Virginia
Even series (win 50%) – Georgia Tech, Illinois, Iowa, North Carolina, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers,
Lose most (win 33%) – Florida State, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin

Reaction Score

Sad but probably accurate. However, I would hope we would hire a great coach with some of that new found cash. We might rattle a few more cages that way. Great coaches beat more talented teams regularly.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Then again, I was in Storrs in the 1990’s when UConn, I-AA at the time, lost to Division II New Haven. Argh!
Me too. That was brutal. I remember the Courant had an article a couple of days before the game saying New Haven beating UCONN was about as likely as pigs flying or something like that. A bunch of New Haven fans had broom sticks with plastic pigs attached to them and were marching around the stadium with them after the game. New Haven 14 UCONN 13

Reaction Score
Me too. That was brutal. I remember the Courant had an article a couple of days before the game saying New Haven beating UCONN was about as likely as pigs flying or something like that. A bunch of New Haven fans had broom sticks with plastic pigs attached to them and were marching around the stadium with them after the game. New Haven 14 UCONN 13

That UNH team was pretty good though... only loss was in national semi-final game to eventual champ.

Reaction Score
That UNH team was pretty good though... only loss was in national semi-final game to eventual champ.
That's like trying to justify Michigan losing to Appalachian State. Except Michigan's choke job was worse.

Reaction Score
MGoBlog did some research on recruiting trends: http://mgoblog.com/content/recruiting-maps

I think if we miraculously got invited to the B1G, we would immediately be at the bottom of the barrel along with Indiana. Personally, I think UConn's future would be brighter if we stayed in the AAC for a few years and used the Boise State formula of going 11-1 with a tough OOC schedule and an easier conference plate. Improve perception, improve recruiting, then upgrade the conference. Not the other way around.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
MGoBlog did some research on recruiting trends: http://mgoblog.com/content/recruiting-maps

I think if we miraculously got invited to the B1G, we would immediately be at the bottom of the barrel along with Indiana. Personally, I think UConn's future would be brighter if we stayed in the AAC for a few years and used the Boise State formula of going 11-1 with a tough OOC schedule and an easier conference plate. Improve perception, improve recruiting, then upgrade the conference. Not the other way around.

I seriously think you are over rating the bottom end of the Big 10. Purdue hasn't been good for a long time, Minnesota hasn't either, we beat Indiana with mostly 1-AA players, Illinois was 2-10, they just added Rutgers and Maryland, not Alabama and Georgia. Northwestern is good once a decade... Michigan State is up and down. The top end of that conference wins a ton because they pencil in 3-4 conferences wins a year out of the gate.

Reaction Score
If the Boise "formula" of going 11-1, was that easy, you'd see more tens doing it. They're formula is the Kansas State formula. Great HC, not looking to leave at the first sign of better dollars, impact JUCO recruits, that maybe can't get in to other schools. We don't have a great HC, not are we likely to see a great influx of JUCO players. Improve facilities, and academics is all the school can do to pretty itself up and it is doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom