B1G | Page 33 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Of course. Probably have already vetted the offers.

My point was simply that the Commonwealth won't allow one of the two to depart for greener pa$ture$ leaving the other in some uncertain death spiral with Duke, wake, cuse and bc.

Neither of those 2 have much to worry about. They are kids in the proverbial candy store....

If one chooses to stay while the other prefers to depart, what difference does it matter to the legislators? It's not like when VaTech wanted to join and UVa could help. Their futures don't need to be joined like Chang and Eng's.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Hey UConn! You got no stinkin problems. ND has problems. We don't know who are partner will be for tiddlywinks next year.

That my friends is why sometimes it is better for an AD to be quiet.

your reading it wrong. nd needs to be loud about how things are messed up so it looks less and less guilty when it starts next year or 2014 in the acc instead of 2015. do u really think nd wants to play smu in hoops? especially if they already have acc football games scheduled. if they are going to play the fball games they agreed to, then your dam right they are going to get other sports in the acc asap. and the quicker that happens the happier the acc is so they are going to push it all day also.

in this case the ad needs to act like the world is a mess several times to get the point across. its a strong move by nd, acc and espn.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Appreciate your thoughts.

Where you see a situation where neither the B1G nor the ACC need us, I see an analygous position where the B1G didn't need Rutgers and Maryland (not the way they needed someone (who turned out to be Nebraska) to fill out the field of 12 required for a championship game that would keep the B1G brand alive in the week after Thanksgiving when national championship contenders were being debated). Yet the B1G took Rutgers and Maryland anyway. I don't think Delant is operating out of need alone. There is a bigger objective in play.

I contend that objective is the 50-60 million people residing in the northeast corridor between Boston and Washington D.C. Those potential customers of college football are largely underserved today. Those 50-60 million potential customers dwarf any gain the B1G might find in North Carolina. The battle for North Carolina would likely be a costly one, especially if the SEC were to become involved. Why wage it when there are -- repeat after me -- 50-60 million just milling about? Does the B1G need UConn? They do if they intend to serve the northeast and defend it against competition.

I think you are right about another shoe dropping, that of UVa. In my opimion, it'll happen but it may take some time due to a combination of resistence to change at the university and worries about the $50MM buyout fee. They'd prefer to pay as little as possible. How little probably depends on what Maryland settles for, but a seat in the B1G conference meetings is worth $50MM so it will happen no matter what.

Well said.

When push comes to shove, I don't think the $50m exit fee will stop schools from leaving for the SEC either. The B12? I think that remains to he seen.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
your reading it wrong. nd needs to be loud about how things are messed up so it looks less and less guilty when it starts next year or 2014 in the acc instead of 2015. do u really think nd wants to play smu in hoops? especially if they already have acc football games scheduled. if they are going to play the fball games they agreed to, then your dam right they are going to get other sports in the acc asap. and the quicker that happens the happier the acc is so they are going to push it all day also.

in this case the ad needs to act like the world is a mess several times to get the point across. its a strong move by nd, acc and espn.
The C7 will be leaving after ND so they can park most of their sports in the BE. But I agree with you he's trying to create the perception that the BE is in a big enough disarray ND shouldn't be required to pay any hefty penalty to leave the league either on time as the by laws state or earlier. Won't work unless he convinces the judges who will be handling the case. With the C7 waiting until 2015 his case gets weaker. If anything the claim of damages by the remaining three against RU and ND is greater because their action was the second to last straw for major conference damages. At least that is my un lawyerly understanding of how these things work from reading what all the jurists have been writing.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The C7 will be leaving after ND so they can park most of their sports in the BE. But I agree with you he's trying to create the perception that the BE is in a big enough disarray ND shouldn't be required to pay any hefty penalty to leave the league either on time as the by laws state or earlier. Won't work unless he convinces the judges who will be handling the case. With the C7 waiting until 2015 his case gets weaker. If anything the claim of damages by the remaining three against RU and ND is greater because their action was the second to last straw for major conference damages. At least that is my un lawyerly understanding of how these things work from reading what all the jurists have been writing.

the c7 are not good at other sports. they are just like minded schools in cities that nd has a lot of alum. the c7 was a public front for playing bball, soccer and baseball games vs uconn, cuse and pitt types. all the c7 are small dying schools, nd would never get caught with just them. the c7 said 2015 just to be safe, ite pretty clear from media so far that they think that the league will die quicker and theat they have a good shot at keeping the name and some other assets. hes making the same argument that md and eventually schools that leave for the b10/sec/b12 will make . too funny. the quicker espn and the acc get nd in, the more $ they can make. if nd gets in 2moro then the next school to leave the acc when it comes time to argue buyout will have on top of everything the nd card value wise to play by the acc to deal with.

if i'm rutgers, wvu and cuse/pitt already set the totals. cuse and pitt should have held out more but they didn't. anyway, to get to the b10 by 2014 they can just sign a 7.5mil check and be done with it i think. but i think i take that and ask for 3mil instead of 7.5. since that time other schools have left and added and the value is way down and so on. i rape the nbe $ wise on the buyout and make a point doing so. and if i'm uconn, i help them make this case so that we have a easy day hopefully soon in the future. we can collect our $ from the other schools leaving, help ruty so we get help on day ourselves.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
If one chooses to stay while the other prefers to depart, what difference does it matter to the legislators? It's not like when VaTech wanted to join and UVa could help. Their futures don't need to be joined like Chang and Eng's.

I think they'll use whatever leverage they can with the first to leave to ensure that the 2nd isn't left to rot with 4-5 of the less desirable ACC schools and whatever is left from the nnnnnbe.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Funny how she isn't attracting a crowd.

Confident, secure and mildly flamboyant women tend to intimidate sober men.

I'm actually looking to update that pic to replace the cat with a husky dog. If anyone knows a good body paint artist, let me know...

ctchamps

Reaction Score

I'm actually looking to update that pic to replace the cat with a husky dog. If anyone knows a good body paint artist, let me know...
Agree about the first part! The second part has me asking if you are the model or know the model personally. Third thing is the gal next to the one with the cat doing her own rendition?

Reaction Score

That has nice eyes.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
-syracuse and pitt took like 10 months to get buyout stuff done
-neb took like 3 months
-wvu took like 4 months

as some examples time line wise....

Reaction Score

I don't know Jack Sprat about body painting buy I'm willing to keep her warm until somebody who does shows up.

Reaction Score
McMurphyESPN 5:25pm via TweetDeck
To all responses about UConn/Cincinnati having shot at B1G, they don't. However, they could get pulled up to ACC if B1G expands

Just once I'd love for the conference to make him look like a massive tool by announcing UConn to B1G on Christmas Eve!!!

I'm lost at how the B1G could have no interest in UConn after taking RU. Unfortunately this guy has been on par so far. Let's hope B1G goes to 16 for a year or two. UConn goes to ACC...starts winning again to show our value and we get a look later.

Or that McMurphy is completely wrong and we get invited on Xmas Eve. HO HO HO

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm lost at how the B1G could have no interest in UConn after taking RU. Unfortunately this guy has been on par so far. Let's hope B1G goes to 16 for a year or two. UConn goes to ACC...starts winning again to show our value and we get a look later.

He knows about as much as you and I about CR. He just reads different tea leaves.

Reaction Score

The concept of doubling up on DC w/ UVA seems natural to everyone. The concept of doubling up on NYC is somehow a harder sell.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The concept of doubling up on DC w/ UVA seems natural to everyone. The concept of doubling up on NYC is somehow a harder sell.

please explain, i lost u in the down/up

Reaction Score
please explain, i lost u in the down/up
maryland grabs some of the DC market. Adding UVA would grab more and seems to make sense to everyone in the realignment rumor world. Rutgers grabs some of the NYC market. Adding UConn would grab more and seems to make no sense to everyone in the realignment rumor world but us.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
We all have our conceptions about this. Only Delaney knows his. But my thought is if wishes were fishes for Delaney (note the fish reference) his choices in expansion would be ND, then VA, then UNC. The last would be between UConn, BC and Cuse.

I don't see him wanting an island school so GT is out. ND won't join and I doubt UNC would either. So it is VA all the way and only thing that keeps things from moving quicker is the political/legal/monetary situation. I still think VA goes because like us the university people and the politcos will worry about FSU and the B12 and make the move to a stable conference before that option disappears. And the other spot will still be between UConn, BC and Cuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom