B1G | Page 31 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Thank you for your interest in the University of Connecticut...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I feel like u conn is lacking the fanbase - there just isnt excitement around the team like there is with cuse or rutgers. The current FB coach (coach P) is simply horrid. From the B1G standpoint, the school is at the bottom of our short list.
Been a long, sad day in CT. Not in the mood to make a big stink about how ignorant you are. 1 - we actually agree on the coach, but coaches change. Much more often than conference affiliation. You need to understand that with an opportunity like the B1G, UConn would not sit back content to just be a bottom feeder. That's not how it's done here. P would likely be gone before we ever join the B1G, should that ever come to pass.

As for fans- look, we aren't packing 110k in to watch football. We are too young for that. But can UConn pack our current 40k and potentially expand to 50k+ with B1G teams coming in? With the quality increase on the field, with a new coach (even without a new coach) - I have zero doubt that it's doable. CT will support a quality product.

As for the rest, I'm copying over a post from another thread, which was actually on a tOSU board a few days ago. All the rationale for why UConn makes sense, if you aren't too closed minded to see it.

Posted: 12/8/2012 11:02 AM
Re: Keep an eye on...UCONN

If we are taking only about football tradition, then yes there are other teams that fit better. If we are talking about which university might be the next addition based on a bigger, strategic picture, then UCONN is a reasonable choice. UCONN was also on B1G's radar two years ago.

- Academics - UCONN ranks higher than some B1G schools and continues to climb. Currently 63 in the US News & World Report rankings, recent reports suggest they will mover closer to being a top 50 national university in the coming years.

- Research - They are expanding investment in research at a fast rate and are building a $1.1B lab at a university facility. An AAU offer will be forthcoming in the next 1-3 years with or without a B1G invite.

- Rivalries - UCONN has natural regional rivalries with Maryland, Rutgers and ties to Penn State. They also have Michigan, Maryland and Virginia on their upcoming football schedules. In mens and women basketball they have history with many schools in the B1G.

- Revenue - Their athletics programs generated over $65M in revenue, which I believe ranks in the top 40 in the country. While not up there with Michigan and Ohio State, they rank higher than some B1G teams. Also, it's important to note that only 20% of that revenue comes from football (only Kansas generates a smaller percentage at 19%). This is more of an opportunity than a liability. Also, their Media rights deal accounts for only $3M-$4M annually, if they had a $17M deal on the books like the ACC, they would probably be in the top 25 in revenue. A B1G offer would grow that revenue substantially in the coming years.

- TV Market - Hartford is the 30th ranked market in the nation and UCONN gets a large chunk of the New York and Boston markets, which puts them on par with many larger markets. The New York Times lists UCONN is the fourth most popular college football team in New York City behind Rutgers, Notre Dame and Penn State. Their recent ratings on SNY cable are off the chart. Having no pro teams in Connecticut contributes to this. Also, there is a significant number of B!G Alumni in the New York/Boston area that would watch their teams compete on TV or at a live event. Lastly, UCONN is gaining traction with Fox's YES network (which has been tied to the B1G's Eastern expansion).

- Culturally - UCONN culture is closer to Wisconsin, Michigan, Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State than GT/FSU/Clemson.

- Football - UCONN doesn't have the tradition that B1G schools have, but in the last ten years they've gone to a 5 bowl games including the Fiesta, won a share of their conference twice, beat Notre Dame, South Carolina and others. A B1G invite would help in recruiting, both in terms of players and coaching. In addition, they are as competitive as some B1G teams including Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue (recently), Illinois, and Northwestern (generally). An Eastern division with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Maryland UCONN, and Virginia would be competitive.

- Notre Dame - There's lots of reasons why UCONN was discussed as a package to the ACC with Notre Dame. Delaney realizes this. Notre Dame wants an East Coast presence, playing at UCONN, Rutgers, Maryland & Virginia would help provide that. Playing at Florida State or Georgia Tech, not so much.

- Basketball - UCONN is a national brand in basketball, both Mens and Women, and would elevate B1G basketball. They also have many rivalries with the B1G including Michigan State.

- Olympic Sports - UCONN competes at a high level in numerous sports including soccer (NC), field hockey (NC), baseball, hockey, etc.

- UCONN is a Land-Grant University

- It takes UCONN off the table as an academic/athletic/tv market contingency for the ACC

Lastly, I know the focus is on football, but if the B1G has the strongest financial footprint, it will continue to be relevant in football, even in smaller markets.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
and there u have it, this troll is no psu fan. if he was he wouldnt know certain things like my other gf and how to spell B1G.

Reaction Score
Watch out HFD, burdseye might take your spot on the top of the "Hey Warde, listen up" list. That guy nailed it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He's a Cuse troll!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I feel like u conn is lacking the fanbase - there just isnt excitement around the team like there is with cuse or rutgers. The current FB coach (coach P) is simply horrid. From the B1G standpoint, the school is at the bottom of our short list.

Take a hike. They are being nice but I am not nice after today and what happened. Go back to your basement and troll elsewhere

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Watch out HFD, burdseye might take your spot on the top of the "Hey Warde, listen up" list. That guy nailed it.

how do u know i am not that poster?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
He's a Cuse troll!

There you go. The boneyard isn't easy to access via google -- it doesn't come up under a search of "UConn message board" -- so only a Syracuse, BC, or conference member would look hard enough to find it. This isn't a PSU fan.

Reaction Score

This isn't the place to share your feelings. Tell us your thoughts, and be careful to separate fact from opinion.

Reaction Score
The idea that a PSU fan is touting the B1G is hard to believe. Go to their boards and take the pulse of the feeling toward the B1G.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
There you go. The boneyard isn't easy to access via google -- it doesn't come up under a search of "UConn message board" -- so only a Syracuse, BC, or conference member would look hard enough to find it. This isn't a PSU fan.
The guy wanted to laugh at our predicament. So he came to flame on us. That act would be sad enough on an ordinary day, but to chose a day in which a lot of us were dealing with the shooting was way over the top. Hopefully he was the one person in America who didn't hear the news.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Guys. Don't continue to feed him...

5pM1Z5tqTo7kd9ak2ut4uxMuo1_400.jpg

Reaction Score
This board is the #1 result when that search is performed.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This board is the #1 result when that search is performed.
The search is troll specific. The mods have put in a troll filter.

Reaction Score
lol yall are funny - maybe someday Ill send my son to UCONN.
given the crap going on with all things uconn, coming here speaks volumes about you..
people like you get tough when mommy shows up.

if you have a kid, he couldnt get into uconn.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
back to #B1GHARDER...

iowa st ad had some stuff to say. i guess he has been a loyal ad media wise to the staying at ten right now stance. he said everyone is waiting on the md exit fee and if it goes down the b12 would be hunting for teams or something like that...he also said that the b12 is not interested in any available teams right now. so cross off uconn, cincy, byu, memphis, bsu, usf and any other team that u even give a second to think about.

miami, fsu, gt, clem, ncst, duke, unc, vt, uva, pitt, cuse, bc, wake, lville

of these 14 i place the under over at 8 of them leaving by 2015. what say u?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
back to #B1GHARDER...

iowa st ad had some stuff to say. i guess he has been a loyal ad media wise to the staying at ten right now stance. he said everyone is waiting on the md exit fee and if it goes down the b12 would be hunting for teams or something like that...he also said that the b12 is not interested in any available teams right now. so cross off uconn, cincy, byu, memphis, bsu, usf and any other team that u even give a second to think about.

Right now! Tomorrow is always a different story!

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
back to #B1GHARDER...

My crystal ball says:

b12: FSU, U, CLEM, LSVL, PITT, ND
B1G: UNC, UVA, GTCH, CONNECTICUT
SEC: VTCH, NCST

So I'll take the OVER.

Reaction Score
If ND does join a Conf why would it be the B12?

I think UConn ends up with the old ACC carcasses, better than current state, but still crappy.

My crystal ball says:

b12: FSU, U, CLEM, LSVL, PITT, ND
B1G: UNC, UVA, GTCH, CONNECTICUT
SEC: VTCH, NCST

So I'll take the OVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics