B1G | Page 28 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
None of this is happening. If UConn joins a major conference, it'll be a weakened ACC with Syracuse, BC, Cincy, Miami, Duke, Wake, etc...

The good news it that is quite possible. The bad news? It's still a conference.

Reaction Score
None of this is happening. If UConn joins a major conference, it'll be a weakened ACC with Syracuse, BC, Cincy, Miami, Duke, Wake, etc...

The good news it that is quite possible. The bad news? It's still a conference.
If B1G fans even allow for us to even be considered a potential candidate, make the best of it. Many alumni and administrators do allow for it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ny media market extends to southern NE
No it doesn't.

Southern NE is all of CT and all of RI. NYC media market extends to Fairfield county.

Husky25

Reaction Score
any 1 know how many votes in the acc it takes for a decision to be made? in thoer the b10 can get uva on the phone and work with the sec who can get duke and unc on the phone and together work with the b12 who can get vt/ncst/clem/gt/fsu/miami all together. thats 9 teams. is that enough votes for them to hold a call to disolve or abandon the exit fee or something? if the 3 work together and kill the acc off, politics wont matter as all schools that matter in politics in va and nc are set. that would leave the acc with wake, cuse, pitt, lville and bc. espn is trying to strong arm everyone right now and doing it quick as a last ditch effort. could the 3 leagues and fox pull this off?

lastly, all this 12/12/12 stuff has my head spinning as i am a drunk so days and dates i dont do. from a b10 theory standpoint they are going from 12 schools to 16 in 2012. nostradogmus if he was to predict a date would pick 12/16/12.
You were drunk? Wow, that last post where you laid everything out made a lot of sense. My agita just kicked up again.

Reaction Score
No it doesn't.

Southern NE is all of CT and all of RI. NYC media market extends to Fairfield county.

so you'll agree that the nyc media market extends to part of southern New England...I feel like you made my point?? What are you arguing if you state all of CT is part of Souther New England and Fairfield county is party of nyc market?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Sure, but that is not what you said. Fairfield county is in southernwest CT. New Haven, Middlesex (where I live), and New London counties are not in the NYC Media market and Rhode Island certainly isn't. Your rounding 15% up to 100. It's misleading, that's all. Not trying to pick a fight, just sayin'...

pj

Reaction Score
Most people would consider southern NE to be CT, MA, RI. Northern NE is VT, NH, ME.

If they want southern NE, there's only UConn and BC, and BC is inferior unless they bring in ND with them.

Reaction Score
the b10 is a lot more $. acc schools will still jump to the b10 and sec when time comes for expansion to 16. espn is just trying to keep the league from completely falling apart by a mass add by the b12.

i still think uva and uconn to the b10
duke and unc to the sec
cincy to the acc

then things stop and it becomes a fox vs espn thing as to what happens with the b12...

now whos left out? usf who is really a cusa school and temple who dropped years ago so they can't argue. everyone found a home temporarily until 18 to 20 is the final answer. that round will be led by nd to the b10 with either cuse or bc being the paired school. then things get ugly....

Absolutely cannot see Duke to the SEC. If UNC can't separate a nice to have basketball rivalry from athletic relevance, NC State will take their place.

Reaction Score
Theoretically, if, as our old BE brethren would like, the ACC wins in court and Maryland is forced to pay $50 million, I wonder how that would change things for the Big Ten.

Maryland made up its mind to leave the ACC even knowing it might cost them $50MM. That should tell you how other schools might view a B1G invite.

Reaction Score
The B12 is one part dog (Texas) and nine parts tail.

Eventually, when things settle down, all these conference schools are going to train their sights on their smallest members. schools like Baylor and Wake Forest and Northwestern and Indiana and BC are going to be asked to forego $$$. The logic of expansion turns into the logic of greed pretty quickly, and when manifest Destiny is not possible any more, you start extracting funds from the inside.

Reaction Score
I don't think you'll find too many who would favor the ACC over the B1G if we have an invite from both. You will find some like me who think a potential invite from the B1G is a at least few years away and that we still have to worry about the likes of UNC, GT possibly getting in ahead of us (if the ACC implosion scenario comes to fruition). Given we're about to wind up being stuck with USF, Cincy, temple and an assortment of CUSA riff-raff, I will not be one of the people arguing for UConn to turn down an ACC bid because a B1G invite is just around the corner you guys!!!! If Jim Delany is biding his time for UConn to show what it's worth, I'd be perfectly happy paying the ACC an exit fee in about 15 years or however long it takes.

Please, please, please explain GT. Whatever do they bring to the B1G? Seriously.

Delany is waiting on UVa that is waiting on UMd. A $20MM exit fee is a lot easier sell to an executive committee than a $50MM one. If UVa make the committment today, they could get stuck with a $50MM tab even if UMd gets out cheaper. What's the hurry to sign up for a $30MM risk with absolutely no concomitant reward?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Eventually, when things settle down, all these conference schools are going to train their sights on their smallest members. schools like Baylor and Wake Forest and Northwestern and Indiana and BC are going to be asked to forego $$$. The logic of expansion turns into the logic of greed pretty quickly, and when manifest Destiny is not possible any more, you start extracting funds from the inside.

I think you just nailed it. At some point there are no new options then you look inward and say, hmmm, really, we are paying $80M to be in Indiana? Or Mississippi and only $40M to be in Texas and Florida?

Reaction Score
Most people would consider southern NE to be CT, MA, RI. Northern NE is VT, NH, ME.

If they want southern NE, there's only UConn and BC, and BC is inferior unless they bring in ND with them.
couldn't be more wrong... That's actually spoken like you are not even from New England.

Southern New England is CT and RI. MA never ever refers to itself as Southern New England. As I've stated in other posts, MA usually refers to itself as simply New England (very annoying)...

You are correct about northern new england, but since there isn't many people up there, you don't here that region referred to very often...

Reaction Score
Please, please, please explain GT. Whatever do they bring to the B1G? Seriously.

Delany is waiting on UVa that is waiting on UMd. A $20MM exit fee is a lot easier sell to an executive committee than a $50MM one. If UVa make the committment today, they could get stuck with a $50MM tab even if UMd gets out cheaper. What's the hurry to sign up for a $30MM risk with absolutely no concomitant reward?

Tech does bring a lot to the Big Ten. Although it's disputed how much leverage a transient school in a transient city would bring in cable negotiations, they're still in a very large television market where pennies on the dollar could bring revenue. Being a transient city helps in this case, because there is a large Big Ten alumni base in Atlanta -- especially Ohio State, who is the foremost influence on the Big Ten's school of thought.

Georgia Tech has a research output of nearly three quarters of a billion dollars. In fact, after the Ivies, they're one of the premier research institutions in the nation. The other thing it has going for it is that merely having it in the Big Ten, they could have a footprint into a Southern recruiting base.

I have my doubts about Tech's inclusion, for the time being, because Delany seems to be aiming toward so-called 'contiguous' expansion for the time being, and I think he digs the Northeast corridor idea as well. Right now, Virginia, North Carolina and Notre Dame remain the targets. I think Georgia Tech, Connecticut, Boston College and possibly Duke are the variables on how to get the targets.

Reaction Score
The other thing it has going for it is that merely having it in the Big Ten, they could have a footprint into a Southern recruiting base.

This is important, as the midwest is losing population while the southeast is growing. So not only is it good for athletic recruiting, it's good for keeping people in a growing part of the country interested in your universities.

Husky25

Reaction Score
couldn't be more wrong... That's actually spoken like you are not even from New England.

Southern New England is CT and RI. MA never ever refers to itself as Southern New England. As I've stated in other posts, MA usually refers to itself as simply New England (very annoying)...

You are correct about northern new england, but since there isn't many people up there, you don't here that region referred to very often...

MA typcially refers to itself as regions and then distance/time by car from Boston (i.e. I'm from Worcester, about 45 minutes out side Boston). Doesn't matter if you live in North Adams, Mount Washington, or Chatham.

Then...if you live inside 128, you're FROM Boston. Charlestown? Newton? Brighton? Brookline? Dedham?...All Boston.

Howie Long refer to himself as being from Boston on last Sunday's pregame. He's may have been born in Charlestown, but he played football for Milford High, which is in Worcester County (albeit on the eastern part of Worc. County).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm thinking Delany might feel a little pressure to extend his next 2 invites soon, especially if UConn is one of them. UConn is in a desperate state within its fanbase and PR wise. If word began to spread (true or untrue) that UConn is passing on the ACC while waiting for an offer from a different conference, this fanbase will go into full meltdown mode (kind of like what is going on in certain threads today). There is B1G pressure now. UConn can be added on the cheap, like an undervalued penny stock ready to explode on its future growth potential. I know Delany doesn't like to be forced into decisions, but if UConn is on his radar, he might need to expedite the process of an invite or risk losing UConn to the ACC and potentially tied up in litigation, ala Maryland.

Reaction Score
The only reason Delaney would feel any pressure to invit UConn would be if the preferred schools had all said no already. If UNC, UVa, GT... we're the preferred schools and they had said no "unless the FSU blows up the ACC. In that case UConn would potentially strengthen the ACC.

The B1G has no reason otherwise to pull UConn now vs pulling them from the ACC in any number of years. The $$ difference is so big, we'd take the invite in the future.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking Delany might feel a little pressure to extend his next 2 invites soon, especially if UConn is one of them. UConn is in a desperate state within its fanbase and PR wise. If word began to spread (true or untrue) that UConn is passing on the ACC while waiting for an offer from a different conference, this fanbase will go into full meltdown mode (kind of like what is going on in certain threads today). There is B1G pressure now. UConn can be added on the cheap, like an undervalued penny stock ready to explode on its future growth potential. I know Delany doesn't like to be forced into decisions, but if UConn is on his radar, he might need to expedite the process of an invite or risk losing UConn to the ACC and potentially tied up in litigation, ala Maryland.

If anything, this would bring a smile to Delany's face. UConn being the trigger for upheaval in the ACC could land the B1G a couple of prime Mid-Atlantic properties. The more heat on the ACC, the better for the B1G. Unless of course the ACC sticks together for some bizarre reason.

I still say the B12 is very vulnerable. There are just as many dregs in that conference as in the ACC, and the Pac10 has its eye on the prime properties.

Because otherwise, they are looking at Boise St.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
by uconn hanging on and watching th eleague blow up, this allows the b10 to ride out the acc fees more if the final 2 picks for now are uva and uconn. what the b10 can do is get uconn and ruty for next year at bascially no cost or very little and then tell md and uva to wait until 2014 and pay the least possible by staying and saying the acc blah blah to get the court fee reduced as much as possible. its now or never JD!

Reaction Score
by uconn hanging on and watching th eleague blow up, this allows the b10 to ride out the acc fees more if the final 2 picks for now are uva and uconn. what the b10 can do is get uconn and ruty for next year at bascially no cost or very little and then tell md and uva to wait until 2014 and pay the least possible by staying and saying the acc blah blah to get the court fee reduced as much as possible. its now or never JD!
I wanna believe your optimism, I really do. But why would UConn cost the B1G anything? Are you saying that we're holding out for a conference that would pay our exit fees? At this point we'd pay our exit fees, a partner team's exit fees and buy beer and pizzas for all B1G meetings for the next 20 years if that would get us in now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom