B1G | Page 15 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One can also take from the Cowherd comments linking UConn to the Big 10 that perhaps - as that ACC blogger said - UConn was one of several schools APPROVED by the Big 10 presidents, but that doesn't mean that Delany acts upon everyone that is approved.

So Cowherd may have gotten mixed up there. His source was right that UConn was approved, but the invite was not forthcoming.

Either way that's good news, right?

Reaction Score
One can also take from the Cowherd comments linking UConn to the Big 10 that perhaps - as that ACC blogger said - UConn was one of several schools APPROVED by the Big 10 presidents, but that doesn't mean that Delany acts upon everyone that is approved.

So Cowherd may have gotten mixed up there. His source was right that UConn was approved, but the invite was not forthcoming.

Either way that's good news, right?

Actually it was Edsall who was approved a few years ago and when he went to MD...boom....the trigger was pulled.

PP is on the banned list.

Reaction Score
The powers that be who run the message board pinned this thread! :eek:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If we don't get into the ACC after GT and UVA leaves, it is because our administration feels it has a good shot at a B1G invite soon (soon = in the upcoming months/year). Within the last months, the UConn provost published statistical comparisons of how UConn stacks up (quite favorably, I might add) with AAU schools, announcement of the hiring of some 300 additional faculty that the president of the AAU was quoted as saying was "unprecedented...in a time that others are downsizing", Herbst hired a new VP of Communications from U of Iowa (familiar with B1G protocols/procedures), and played it cool in the recent ACC expansion that eventually took UL (which looks incredibly brilliant now seeing as though the ACC is on the verge of losing half of its member despite the "preferred" choice Louisville being added). Within the last couple of years, UConn has been mentioned quite frequently as a possibility for the B1G through various media outlets. Heck, when I was in Ann Arbor a few years ago, several Michigan fans approached me to talk about UConn in the B1G!

Of course, none of this is a clear and definitive indication that UConn will be in the B1G but there is absolutely reason to be optimistic. UConn has alot to offer the B1G - more weight in the NYC market (we are the 4th most watched team in NYC), penetration into Boston and all of CT markets, AAU worthy academics, two powerhouse basketball programs that can attract viewership to their network in the winter (after football season ends), a young growing football program that is really untapped (I think UConn fans would be energized if in the B1G) but has also achieved success in a short timeframe, a stadium that was designed and built to expand to accommodate visiting fan bases in the northeast area (Cuse can't expand their dome and BC is limited in its ability to expand in great numbers), a transformation of its campus look, and several other successful Olympic sports programs. UConn also brings one of the highest average per capita household incomes in the country, a sign that there is money that is potentially here for the taking.

Either way, let's rest those throats for later today! It all starts with a win, a bowl game and a good fan showing! GO DAHGS!

Reaction Score
So Dan to get my timeline correct, will I be seeing star wars 7 as a fan of a B1G team?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think it is actually a Rutgers fan who thought of my idea before I did and posted a BS rumor that was almost believable and would get UConn fans riled up.

That said, someone claims he called Rutgers and Maryland 2 months before it happened. We shall see.
If he thought of your idea before you did doesn't that mean that you were late in thinking of what was in reality his idea? ;)

Reaction Score
I think it is actually a Rutgers fan who thought of my idea before I did and posted a BS rumor that was almost believable and would get UConn fans riled up.

That said, someone claims he called Rutgers and Maryland 2 months before it happened. We shall see.

I choose to believe!

Red-I-Believe-in-Santa-Claus-T-Shirts.png

Reaction Score
Hockey talk did come out of the blue shortly after Ward took over. My first reaction was long-term viability for the B10 because there wasn't anybody clamoring for it. And I'm a hockey guy.
The hockey program upgrade because it sits right in the middle geographically of the best hockey league in the country! It made sense. Hockey East was always a natural fit - you guys are insane with this Big Ten stuff.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hockey East was eyeing UConn for years (as we are by far the highest profile athletic department in New England). It wasn't until the new leadership that we had people in place who saw the benefit in expanding our athletic programs.

Reaction Score

He did indeed post that Rutgers was going to the B1G in July.

Reaction Score
Hockey East was eyeing UConn for years (as we are by far the highest profile athletic department in New England). It wasn't until the new leadership that we had people in place who saw the benefit in expanding our athletic programs.

I once wrote this on this board and was roundly ridiculed by zls and a few others. It didn't matter that I got the info from a HE insider who happens to be a friend of mine for 20 odd years. I didn't reveal that at the time of course. ZlS literally made fun of my post for close to a year after that. I wrote this about 6-8 years ago.

Reaction Score
Last year there was a RU poster (it could be him) who had a lot of inside info about ACC adding Pitt and Cuse. Long before Blaudschun interviewed the BC AD with the inside scoop about the ACC committee meetings, this poster claimed that UConn had been the #1 choice of the ACC over all others, but that some internal hitches in the process had caused problems. He was responding to a Pitt poster on the RU board who was taunting Rutgers fans who were wondering why Pitt got picked over them. Unfortunately, this poster also claimed that UConn had been contacted a full year before the prior expansion, but had held out at the time since it had considered that the potential ESPN TV contract as highly competitive with the ACCs (i.e. $1 million less per team). I dismissed the second comment, but when Blaudschun printed his story, I got a sick feeling in my stomach that maybe the poster actually knew something.

Reaction Score
The scary thing is, I'm starting to buy into Huskyfandan's largely incoherent, rambling, alcohol-fueled thoughts that accord with the nutso wvu "insiders".

Herbst sent us a signal, not intentionally, though. When she was quoted by the AP the day before the vote (btw, we never did find out what reporter got that quote, including its context), she spoke nonsense about making "the s-a her priority", and then was said to have no comment.

The statement that she put out after the acc vote, if you read it from the perspective of her authorship, could easily be read to mean she had information about UConn invite.

--Similar to Rutgers, Big 10 approaches, says other schools involved, we'll let you know

--Warde Manuel's comment in the USVI : "When they'll act..."

--Use of the words "research" the post acc statement

--broader hiring of >250 professors, many of whom in hard $ciences w/ research grants when other schools are cutting*
(I believe Herbst believes AAU and Big 10 are linked in the sense Big 10 membership fast tracks AAU invite. So she didn't hire the profs to get into the Big 10, but to use the big 10 to get into the AAU)

--her state of the University address which failed to mention conference affiliation, but went overboard on research, research

--the jackson lab

--the white paper produced by uconn re AAU

--Manuel's use of "captive audience" for tv subs directly on point with our argument of uconn as a footprint state

--Delany's slip of southern NE to northern Virginia

My sense, there might be something to all of this.

I say full steam ahead, sink or swim, and get on this crazy train boat to the big 10.

Reaction Score
Wow. That OP was really reading the wrong thing between the lines.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The scary thing is, I'm starting to buy into Huskyfandan's largely incoherent, rambling, alcohol-fueled thoughts that accord with the nutso wvu "insiders".

Herbst sent us a signal, not intentionally, though. When she was quoted by the AP the day before the vote (btw, we never did find out what reporter got that quote, including its context), she spoke nonsense about making "the s-a her priority", and then was said to have no comment.

The statement that she put out after the acc vote, if you read it from the perspective of her authorship, could easily be read to mean she had information about UConn invite.

--Similar to Rutgers, Big 10 approaches, says other schools involved, we'll let you know

--broader hiring of >250 professors, many of whom in hard $ciences w/ research grants when other schools are cutting*
(I believe Herbst believes AAU and Big 10 are linked in the sense Big 10 membership fast tracks AAU invite. So she didn't hire the profs to get into the Big 10, but to use the big 10 to get into the AAU)

--her state of the University address which failed to mention conference affiliation, but went overboard on research, research

--the jackson lab

--Manuel's use of "captive audience" for tv subs directly on point with our argument of uconn as a footprint state

I say full steam ahead, sink or swim, and get on this crazy train boat to the big 10.

Agreed. I really do think that UConn can benefit the B1G.

Reaction Score

--the jackson lab

The only important AAU criteria is research dollars. You'll see lots of members who fall well below all the other metrics. Why are they there? Research dollars. That makes the criteria almost cut and dry.

The only questions I have are there: Would the B10 invite Virginia over UConn? UNC over UConn? Georgia Tech over UConn? Would Virginia accept? Would UNC accept? Would Georgia Tech accept? Would none of them accept? Would one of them accept? Would two of them accept?

There are 9 questions that need to be answered before the B10 even considers inviting UConn.

I dismiss out of hand all talk of Notre Dame, Syracuse and BC. That's not going to happen.

Reaction Score
  • Men's Basketball - 1999, 2004, 2011
  • Men's Soccer - 1948*, 1981, 2000
  • Women's Basketball - 1995, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2010
  • Women's Field Hockey - 1981, 1985
Left out 1948. Let's hope the men's soccer squad and the women's basketball squad add two more championships this academic year.

Reaction Score
I still don't buy the GTech rumors, because of GTech's isolation, not a footprint school, poke the SEC right in the eye with UGA.

For AAU, last I read UConn was only at $110m fed grants, total of $170m "research grants.". I believe BU was at $348m in "research grants" in their pr put out when they were invited. I'm not sure of the faculty count at BU, but they have 19k undergrad, 32k total, so looks comparable to UConn. Who knows what constitutes "research grants", although there are definitely nonfed grants in that total. So no norming argument there.

For the legacy AAU members-KU, Oregon, not true about not meeting other criteria, but getting research $'s. I believe oregon has very little research dolars, under $100m. I linked an article that normalized the research dollars/ faculty members. Many still fall far short

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom