B1G | Page 16 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Left out 1948. Let's hope the men's soccer squad and the women's basketball squad add two more championships this academic year.

Pre-Big East. The championships listed were DURING our BE membership.

Reaction Score
My fault. Can't hurt to add one way before we were in the BE anyway!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
not a big deal butchy, pitt won 9 championships for basketball back in 1943 when every man in the US was over seas acept for pitt students.

Reaction Score
I still don't buy the GTech rumors, because of GTech's isolation, not a footprint school, poke the SEC right in the eye with UGA.

For AAU, last I read UConn was only at $110m fed grants, total of $170m "research grants.". I believe BU was at $348m in "research grants" in their pr put out when they were invited. I'm not sure of the faculty count at BU, but they have 19k undergrad, 32k total, so looks comparable to UConn. Who knows what constitutes "research grants", although there are definitely nonfed grants in that total. So no norming argument there.

For the legacy AAU members-KU, Oregon, not true about not meeting other criteria, but getting research $'s. I believe oregon has very little research dolars, under $100m. I linked an article that normalized the research dollars/ faculty members. Many still fall far short

I've looked at this in committee for AAU benchmarking, and what we saw was that every single AAU school was ranked by research dollars with the at risk schools just below the level of Boston U., while there were very few schools outside of the AAU that brought in the grants that the AAU schools did. The AAU looked at both federal and private grants, as well as state grants, as long as they were competitive, obviously removing ag grants (i.e. political pork) and subsidies to university hospitals that had little to do with competitive research grants. This is why schools such as Nebraska are hurt, and why USF and Cincy and other big university hospital schools will have a devil of a time ever getting in.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Of all the epic threads to miss on my honeymoon...

CTMike reporting for duty! Let me know if I can start a southern flank attack on my way back from Mexico.

...Right after I'm done mounting the Mrs.!

i knew u would love this when u read thru it. lmfao

i want to pay 80 cents not 10 cents on my cable bill, u dig?

Reaction Score
Of all the epic threads to miss on my honeymoon...

CTMike reporting for duty! Let me know if I can start a southern flank attack on my way back from Mexico.

...Right after I'm done mounting the Mrs.!

Probably should have started that "Southern flank attack" on your honeymoon. ;)

Congrats to you and the Mrs!!

Reaction Score
I've looked at this in committee for AAU benchmarking, and what we saw was that every single AAU school was ranked by research dollars with the at risk schools just below the level of Boston U., while there were very few schools outside of the AAU that brought in the grants that the AAU schools did. The AAU looked at both federal and private grants, as well as state grants, as long as they were competitive, obviously removing ag grants (i.e. political pork) and subsidies to university hospitals that had little to do with competitive research grants. This is why schools such as Nebraska are hurt, and why USF and Cincy and other big university hospital schools will have a devil of a time ever getting in.

I know absolutely nothing about this matter, but it is obvious that you do.

Didn't someone mention that UConn's research figures DO NOT include anything from the medical center?

If that's true, how much does the medical center add?

Reaction Score
I know absolutely nothing about this matter, but it is obvious that you do.

Didn't someone mention that UConn's research figures DO NOT include anything from the medical center?

If that's true, how much does the medical center add?

A hefty amount. If they are competitive research grants. But many university hospitals aggregate outside revenues, so it's hard to tell. I know that private firm in New England gave UConn a bunch of money to build out a research hospital. This would not count as a competitive research grant. It's a donor contribution.

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech's rivals site is saying that Tech will make the announcement that they are going to the B1G soon. This was the same site that was the first to report that Louisville was going to the ACC.

Reaction Score
upstater here's the chron of higher ed (2010) showing oregon at $99m

http://chronicle.com/article/Chart-Many-Universities/65199/

are those #'s valid for stony brook? shows them at $106m.

Again, those are Fed. dollars. I just looked at our internal benchmarks during an upper admin. committee meeting. That link you gave shows my AAU school at around 150m. But in the stats I saw that included all research grants, we brought in $450m. That's 200% more than Fed dollars. For me, it was pretty telling to see almost every single AAU school above the candidate schools, with at risk schools near the cut-off.

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech's rivals site is saying that Tech will make the announcement that they are going to the B1G soon. This was the same site that was the first to report that Louisville was going to the ACC.
I think there is enough smoke via regular news folks and internet chatter to assume this is happening. Who is #16? UVA is my guess.

Reaction Score
I think there is enough smoke via regular news folks and internet chatter to assume this is happening. Who is #16? UVA is my guess.

Just a guess, but B1G may not take 2 ACC at once. So maybe we get in this round.

Reaction Score
Have you seen any mention of Uconn by a credible news source in the last few days saying that they have heard Uconn is even in the hunt?

Reaction Score
Just a guess, but B1G may not take 2 ACC at once. So maybe we get in this round.

I think this is a good guess but, they won't wait for long.

I'm convinced this isn't about ND anymore. It's about UVA and UNC. They will take GT, and then put the pressure on those 2 schools, hoping FSU jumps and forces one of those 2 into the B10.

Reaction Score
So bottom line, UConn needs to go from $170m in total rsearch to $300+ ? Their fed dollars of $110m normed out are competitive only with laggards of AAU...KU, Oregon.

So a long row to hoe.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
If it's GT and UVA, what happens with us? Any real evidence that Uconn would get an invite now too? I'm reluctant to see that happening since there doesn't seem to be much smoke for us and any other. .... Unless maybe UNC but it seems there would be more chatter about this happening soon outside of the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Another pro UConn spin from WVU board:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=10772683

Interesting to read that post then re-read post #80 in this thread, which was posted when this board was in full meltdown mode following the Louisville invite. Less than a week later, it suddenly doesn't seem that crazy.

Regardless of how this plays out, the naysayers will have to admit that a B1G invite wasn't as far fetched as they thought.

Reaction Score
Have you seen any mention of Uconn by a credible news source in the last few days saying that they have heard Uconn is even in the hunt?

Yes. All the same credible news sources that were reporting Rutgers and Maryland to the B1g (before it happened) are now saying the same thing about UConn.

Reaction Score
Yes. All the same credible news sources that were reporting Rutgers and Louisville to the B1g (before it happened) are now saying the same thing about UConn.

Didn't UL go to the ACC? :cool:

Reaction Score
Yes. All the same credible news sources that were reporting Rutgers and Maryland to the B1g (before it happened) are now saying the same thing about UConn.
What credible sources? Frank the Tank? HFD? the WVU crackpots? Who?

Reaction Score

Link is already posted earlier in this thread. Did you not see it, or are you just too lazy to find it for yourself?

Reaction Score
We're likely not getting a B1G invite, I think most people concede that. But it's not like there's a 0.0001% chance of it. Even it's 5 or 10% whatever helps us get through this. The bottom line is ANY B1G expansion right now is good news for us.
Maybe you shouldn't read this thread for your own health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom