Azura Stevens Leaving | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Azura Stevens Leaving

Reaction Score
So you think she left because of playing time? Which of the following would you have benched to make room for Z: KLS, Collier, Crystal, Kia, or Gabby? Don’t forget it took until January to stop getting her to jack up 3s that weren’t going in. Maybe at Duke a 20% 3 point shooter is coveted, but not at UConn where we routinely have 3 players on the floor that can shoot it at a 40%+ clip. Also how was her defense compared to the others? The only thing higher than Z’s points per minute ratio seemed to be her foul rate.

Two separate issues, thinking she left because of playing time isn't the same thing as saying I would have done anything different. There are plenty of players who left because of playing time that I wouldn't have given any more time than they got.

But playing each of the starters 35 minutes instead of 38-40 isn't the same as benching anyone, and I certainly don't think that would have hurt.

Reaction Score
Best wishes to Z and thanks for a good year!

She improved a lot, but still had considerable room to improve. I hope she will get a good coach and continue to work on her inside game.

The draft is getting deeper. Seattle may pick up a really good player.
Exactly the place for her to go, Hughes is a good coach, and with Stewie there, wouldn't have to do it all.

Reaction Score
very well put.......and yes call me crazy but I do believe that MW may very well have made a difference in that game but we will never know because she was left languishing on the bench.....all I ask is for a little consistency.....you want to say my opinion can't possibly be right because Geno said she wasn't good enough... that's fine but then don't all of a sudden call MW the second coming because you need her to perform next year due to others leaving unexpectedly..
I disagree with the first part and fully agree with the second. As I've stated way too many times on both points. MW was handed/anointed the 7th spot and other than a few meaningful outings she was unable to tie down that spot. The specific whys we will probably never know but it's darn clear she didn't / couldn't do what was expected of her in practice.
The second part drives me batty. She in most cases played meaningless minutes at the later stages of blowout games or didn't get off the bench. So somehow miraculously the sophomore jump just happens to every top HS recruit. She has a huge amount of work to do to even become an important cog next year. Maybe it will happen, maybe not but it requires an enormous amount of work on her game and her attitude/mentality.
I hope she does jump comparably to let's say CD, but even if she does all of the above, I'm not convinced her skill set, size, position she plays translates to being an excellent college player. She's clearly a small forward / wing. The college game is a whole other level, and while I truly hope I'm wrong, I don't see a whole lot to make me confident it is guaranteed or assured in any way, that the light will go on and she will make the sophomore jump.
Just a comparison here! KLS as a freshman was almost exclusively a great shooter, but she started and played meaningful minutes even with Gabby and Pheesa there. MW didn't play a meaningful role with much less athletic, skilled players behind her. The leaps that KLS made the last two years have been remarkable leading to being AA twice now and in almost all polls second to the player anointed NPOY before a ball was thrown up. And the end of this year, surely shows how much work KLS has still to do to improve. After three years here and all she's demonstrated, I'm fairly confident she will make further strides. I still think KLS' biggest area of need of improvement, is a little less unselfishness and some more aggressively taking over in tough games at the end. Yes this is related to Geno's system but surely the Big Three accomplished both making their teammates better and taking hold when needed. The point of the comparison is how much work and effort KLS put in to get to where she is and how much more still needs to be done. MW is finishing her freshman year far behind KLS at the same stage. If she can put in the same effort and come even close that will be pretty remarkable progress. One more point in the comparison is attitudinal. KLS when she couldn't play in the freshman final, after what must have been an enormous hurt and dissapointment, was out there excitedly cheering on her teammates. She's even done that again this year when out with her foot/ankle injuries. This year when MW was upset / disappointed she was usually stoic at best on the bench. We all know Geno has very clear expectations as to players demeanor and involvement when not in the game.
This is not meant as a horrible criticism of MW. It is I believe a realistic view of what's come down so far and how much work she has to do.
It's also directed at a lot of those here who continually want to just hand things to players rather than have them earn it first. Please MW go out and prove me wrong! The opportunity is surely there with the loss of Gabby, Kia and AZ!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I don't know it, but I'm hopeful. Megan especially looked more comfortable as the year ended. Look for he to make the same Soph jump that Crystal did.
Sorry to say but wishing or dreaming won't make this happen! I'm not sure what you were watching but how much more comfortable she was as the year ended escapes me. She hardly played in the tournament if at all!
We all look for her to make the jump but now she has to put in all the work to come close to making it happen!
Sorry if this is a bit pointed, but this attitude is actually contrary to everything that made U Conn ebb what it is and has been!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Losing top recruit Andra Espinoza-Hunter as transfer (to Miss. State no less) really hurts now. We could have used her scoring/slashing abilities next year. Geno really needs to rethink playing time allocated to freshman/underclassmen. His "system" really drives the starting 5 to 6 too hard & by the end of the season, their tank is empty. People are noticing the lack of freshman development as well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
According to Geno Megan's clearly not ready...if she was she'd have played at least one minute in the semis.......
That's baloney. We saw during the regular season how Walker matched up against Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
As for Z going pro this year she is smart with next years draft having more players ahead of her than this year. Good luck Z

Reaction Score
So you think she left because of playing time? Which of the following would you have benched to make room for Z: KLS, Collier, Crystal, Kia, or Gabby? Don’t forget it took until January to stop getting her to jack up 3s that weren’t going in. Maybe at Duke a 20% 3 point shooter is coveted, but not at UConn where we routinely have 3 players on the floor that can shoot it at a 40%+ clip. Also how was her defense compared to the others? The only thing higher than Z’s points per minute ratio seemed to be her foul rate.
Agree. Plus I doubt she left over playing time...she was set to start next year! We don’t know her family situation, but to suggest that a 6’6” elite player would only make $40-50k is naive. I’d guess she’ll make well over $100,000 when you add in international compensation.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hello Milford: Don't c MW ready for "prime time" as a soph or junior Good lock
I respectfully disagree. She showed flashes of brilliance and was on a fairly typical UConn freshman path, especially considering the 6 fabulous players ahead of her. We’ll have to agree to disagree for now. Let’s pick this up in 12 months.

Reaction Score
Agree. Plus I doubt she left over playing time...she was set to start next year! We don’t know her family situation, but to suggest that a 6’6” elite player would only make $40-50k is naive. I’d guess she’ll make well over $100,000 when you add in international compensation.
I agree this has nothing to do with playing time. That's absurd. Clearly, given her past history, she's afraid of injury & if she can "guarantee" a payday now, why take the risk? She's shown enough this past year for her to be a high draft pick.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. She showed flashes of brilliance and was on a fairly typical UConn freshman path, especially considering the 6 fabulous players ahead of her. We’ll have to agree to disagree for now. Let’s pick this up in 12 months.
Its clear MW has the "raw" talent, both on offense & defense, to be an impact player. She was just confused most of the year, likely due to learning Geno's system & her role in the system. Also, playing with the 2nd team on mop-up duty doesnt help either.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Losing top recruit Andra Espinoza-Hunter as transfer (to Miss. State no less) really hurts now. We could have used her scoring/slashing abilities next year. Geno really needs to rethink playing time allocated to freshman/underclassmen. His "system" really drives the starting 5 to 6 too hard & by the end of the season, their tank is empty. People are noticing the lack of freshman development as well.
I think we need to take the long view on AEH. Some very astute people here thought she was not UConn level talent. I thought she might be. Her departure revealed some immaturity. MSU folks are hoping she’s another Victoria Vivians. I think she more like another Sadie Edwards. Just as with our incoming freshmen and to a lesser degree with Meg, we don’t have a lot of hard data on how players will develop. I’m optimistic on some and skeptical on some. For me, Andra was somewhat between those.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I also think Z originally planned to stay next year and is going to the W because of how much she sat, not just in the semi, but all year. The W just doesn't pay enough to be solely a financial decision.

Next year will be interesting. I think the key to the season is KLS durability. If she's healthy and strong all year, we may not be favorites to win it all, but we'll be a threat. I wish Megan had played more this year. She could have averaged 10 minutes more a game without threatening any of the wins. But that's not the system, and I don't think it precludes her improving and contributing enormously next year, in fact that's what I expect to happen.

I never form a real opinion on freshmen until I actually see them play, I don't have a good enough eye to project from high school. But there's a good chance to get a lot from the two coming in.
Two thoughts:

Lou is very tough, but I sometimes worry about her durability. There are rumors that she’ll have surgery. I don’t know if that is true, but she needs to be healthy and stay healthy. I totally agree that health will be a huge key for us next year, especially Lou’s health.

Some of us are better at assessing high school talent than others, but even Geno admits that he misses some of the time. If your eye is not that great, you are in the majority.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Its clear MW has the "raw" talent, both on offense & defense, to be an impact player. She was just confused most of the year, likely due to learning Geno's system & her role in the system. Also, playing with the 2nd team on mop-up duty doesnt help either.
I think that Geno throws more at his players than any other coach, so the learning curve is long and steep. It’s especially difficult for players who are physically exhausted. The freshmen need the off-season to rest up, reflect, improve, and recharge.

Yeah, playing with a second unit is tough, because everything is out of synch. I make the case that KML would do pretty well with the first unit in Seattle, but no one on the second unit can get her the ball in the right spots. K is average if she doesn’t get open looks. If she gets good shots, she can use her primary and exceptional talent.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
As for Z going pro this year she is smart with next years draft having more players ahead of her than this year. Good luck Z
Somebody dropped the ball in regards to Azura applying for hardship so she could play last year. Either Azura neglected to tell Geno about the possibility that she would not use all her eligibility, OR Geno neglected to tell Azura she could apply for hardship, and play right away, instead of sitting out a year. Either way, ayear of playing time was lost.

I often wondered why Azura wasn't more prepared for this season. What was she doing last year, and was Geno "neglecting" her development. Either way, last year was not used to maximum benefit. The whole situation stinks, given the way things worked out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry to say but wishing or dreaming won't make this happen! I'm not sure what you were watching but how much more comfortable she was as the year ended escapes me. She hardly played in the tournament if at all!
We all look for her to make the jump but now she has to put in all the work to come close to making it happen!
Sorry if this is a bit pointed, but this attitude is actually contrary to everything that made U Conn ebb what it is and has been!
Bronx23
No worries about tone. We're just talking.

FWIW, I agree with all of what you said. She didn't play much in the tourney. But by the end of the year, her play was more aggressive. Kind of feel that she need another month to sink into her role.

I couldn't agree more that she has a ton of work to do over the summer to be the player we hoped she be. I'm just confident that she'll do it. Crystal Dangerfield is a good example for her of how it can pay off.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I couldn't agree more that she has a ton of work to do over the summer to be the player we hoped she be. I'm just confident that she'll do it. Crystal Dangerfield is a good example for her of how it can pay off.
A large part of Crystal's growth during last summer was due to her playing PG for USA U19 team, that won silver. (Of course, one could also speculate that playing over the summer contributed to her nagging injuries.) Not sure that Walker will have a similar opportunity this year.

Reaction Score
Somebody dropped the ball in regards to Azura applying for hardship so she could play last year. Either Azura neglected to tell Geno about the possibility that she would not use all her eligibility, OR Geno neglected to tell Azura she could apply for hardship, and play right away, instead of sitting out a year. Either way, ayear of playing time was lost.

I often wondered why Azura wasn't more prepared for this season. What was she doing last year, and was Geno "neglecting" her development. Either way, last year was not used to maximum benefit. The whole situation stinks, given the way things worked out.

Wow. If that's true, that's disturbing. She was very visible sitting on the bench for every game last year, friendly with the girls, & seemed ready to jump right in. I just assumed she had no choice but to sit out a year.

Reaction Score
So let me guess record next season 8 losses min. Ga only plays 4 because freshman don't play the first year for the Huskys. He still will be stubborn and not play freshman because it's not part of "HIS" system. Irwin and Bent become starters. Sweet sixteen at best and no home cooking in the big show. Lets c how well GA coaches
Amazing how little you seem to know!
1) They won't lose close to 8 games!
2) He does and has played freshman many times but they have to meet especially practice expectations!
3) There's absolutely no way Bent starts, as CD is your point guard and surely Molly will not start at the off guard. Irwin will play a lot more but not sure she will start!
4) you will see one of GA's best coaching jobs! The pressure is now off!
5) it might be sweet sixteen, which in and of itself is not chopped liver but I think at least Elite8, which will be quite an accomplishment when you only play with four!
Please check back here after the seasons over!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Amazing how little you seem to know!
1) They won't lose close to 8 games!
2) He does and has played freshman many times but they have to meet especially practice expectations!
3) There's absolutely no way Bent starts, as CD is your point guard and surely Molly will not start at the off guard. Irwin will play a lot more but not sure she will start!
4) you will see one of GA's best coaching jobs! The pressure is now off!
5) it might be sweet sixteen, which in and of itself is not chopped liver but I think at least Elite8, which will be quite an accomplishment when you only play with four!
Please check back here after the seasons over!
Bronx23
I think (hope) that they were being sarcastic. I don’t think anyone thinks we will lose 8 games. I’ll take a record similar to ND if it means winning a championship. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not sure what if any article links were posted but here is an AP article (Sorry if already posted) . Not much insight into the decision process imho but I still think a big issue
is the competion among centers she would have had next year in the draft from McCowan and Brown. I think she goes #2 and jumps over MR and Gulich which may or may not be
the correct decision?

UConn forward Stevens to enter WNBA draft

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I think Z’s decision to go was made relatively recently.

I believe that Geno talked to Azura about applying for a waiver and may have explored it a little, but ultimately decided not to. In my uneducated opinion, I think a case could have been made for her to be eligible in 2016-17, given the Duke investigation. But maybe Z didn’t want it or Geno didn’t want it.

What we heard last year was that Z was impressive in practice. But what we learned this year was that Z did not get the same level of attention as the players who actually played last year and failed to learn some of the things she saw. Or maybe she thought she would play only the perimeter. Last year was about trying to win last year, not about developing kids who had to sit out.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
With Z leaving and Kia and Gabby graduating this opens the door for everybody else. Next season we loose Lou and Collier. So imo next season is not rebuilding its a development year for everybody not a senior. We will have 3 number 1 HS POY next season. Lou MW and CW. Perhaps we will lack experience but we will not lack ability. Its going to be much like it was a few seasons ago. There most likely will not be 30 win blowouts against top teams but there is plenty of room for scoring and we do have alot of great scorers. We have a nucleus to build on in Lou Collier and CD. They will be depended on especially early in the season. Im sure when Geno said the 30 win seasons would come to an end soon, he was referring to whats happened over the past couple of weeks with Ezi and Z. Im looking forward to the challenge next season. We are still really really good with alot of upside. ND will be tuff and we will have to see how their ACLs heal. Hey remember a couple of seasons ago when Steiw MoJeff and Tuck graduated and we thought it would be a down season. Well we are there again.

Reaction Score
I think Z’s decision to go was made relatively recently.

I believe that Geno talked to Azura about applying for a waiver and may have explored it a little, but ultimately decided not to. In my uneducated opinion, I think a case could have been made for her to be eligible in 2016-17, given the Duke investigation. But maybe Z didn’t want it or Geno didn’t want it.

What we heard last year was that Z was impressive in practice. But what we learned this year was that Z did not get the same level of attention as the players who actually played last year and failed to learn some of the things she saw. Or maybe she thought she would play only the perimeter. Last year was about trying to win last year, not about developing kids who had to sit out.
Exactly. I would have thought that her skill development, particularly her post game would have been much more advanced considering her athletic ability. Plus she had the summer to work on improving. For a staff that is supposed to be so thorough in preparation, I have to believe that even if they didn't have time during the season to work with her, they must have made her aware of her weaknesses that needed work. And if they did both, she should have been killing teams all year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Z could have developed a lot more—from HM All-American to NPOY candidate. But she can play in the WNBA. How will she do? I have no idea. I’m not going to judge anyone harshly by their first season. Skylar struggled her first year. Maya wasn’t dominant. I think the first season comes on so fast that many rookies struggle with adjusting. Let’s give her a few years. Though she has room to improve, I’m confident that Z won’t be a Hasheem Thabeet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom