Azura Stevens Leaving | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Azura Stevens Leaving

Reaction Score
I am shocked to hear Z is going pro.

I think Geno is too, back in Jan he told me he fully expected her to be back and stressed she's was NOT ready for the rigors of the WNBA. I guess something changed since that Jan convo.

I did mention I was concerned about next years team and I got laughed off the internet. I was right to very concerned. Actually we are in big trouble with no guard to replace Kia and no center to replace Z. CW is going to be great but msny need to adjust to college pace. Ono is really good but is a bit behind due to injury and needs some work until she's ready for prime time.

You will see KLS really take on the scoring load. She might go for 30 plus a night. Next year will be interesting.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Maybe we can get the NCAA to grant Morgan Tuck a waiver to come back and use the year of eligibility she forwent.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
It's always "about the money.".......Well. they lost with her, and they can lose without her.

Reaction Score
Why is this height argument such a big deal? We lost last year because of lack of ball handling/toughness. This year we lost because Jackie Young decided she was Maya Moore for a game. All those height issues & we haven’t lost a game in the last 2 years to the bigger team. Everyone is overreacting with a couple of fluke games. It happens.
Whether it was a fluke or not is debatable, but regardless and to your point, we didn't play our best and it took a top team to beat us in overtime. Everyone was spoiled with Stewie and big 3 because it is rare that one team is that much better than the rest of the field for that long. I thought it was tremendous season and we beat the best of the best, unfortunately we slipped when it mattered most.

My hope is now it will force Lou and Pheesa to become go to players while others develop and are complimentary to them. I was most disappointed that they did not run more plays for especially Lou in the 4th or OT. Just like end of 1st quarter, sometimes your best player taking not the best shot is better than indecisiveness of the whole team. Also didn't understand the defense allowing Young wide open. Didn't really see them play that defense all year except the last two games. Against a team like SC it made sense because their talent for perimeter shooting was deficient.

I know I am not even .00001% of what Geno is but part if the fun of being a fan is having an opinion.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I hope he rethinks taking in transfers and certainly I wouldn't take any that have already played more than one season. The whole thing is just too disruptive, and I really have yet to ever see a huge upside to players transferring in. Z could have changed my mind, but she didn't.
After what happened to Z, why would a player want to transfer to UCONN unless they don't mind sitting a lot? Z did not come to UCONN to sit as much as she did. After the impact she had early in the semi's and then have to sit as much as she did in the second half may have had a negative impact on her. Especially after watching other players make the mistakes they made and did not contribute as much on offense as she did. Those same players made those same mistakes all season but did were no taken out of the game.

Reaction Score
What could she have done that would have changed your mind?
Come back for a second year starting for UConn and absolutely dominating. In the end what did she really get done here? OK her (and Megan) bailed us out of the ND game in December, but otherwise her time here was largely inconsequential. She was a bench player for a team that won most of their big games by 20 and most of their conference games by 40. That would have happened with or without her, just like it did last year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Come back for a second year starting for UConn and absolutely dominating. In the end what did she really get done here? OK her (and Megan) bailed us out of the ND game in December, but otherwise her time here was largely inconsequential. She was a bench player for a team that won most of their big games by 20 and most of their conference games by 40. That would have happened with or without her, just like it did last year.
In the end what Azura accomplished at UCONN was to turn herself into a likely top 2-4 player in the WNBA draft. I'm not sure that happens for at Duke because at Duke she was not helping to beat that ND team you mentioned. I'm also not sure if you noticed that it was Azura that help carry UCONN from 13 down to go up 11 in the first half of the FF game on Friday. Hopefully you will learn to wish Azura well.

Reaction Score
I really can't blame Z at all. If I was her, I don't think I could have Geno in my sight ever after that game. She literally brought them back in the second quarter and what does he do? Put her on the bench to start the 3rd. Stupid. She scored 19 in 27 minutes. She should have played 37 minutes at least. They had no answer for her.

Reaction Score
She watched a stacked UConn team last year and a stacked UConn team this year lose to teams they should have beat by 10+. She knew that there was no chance they will get close to the final 4 next year so she went to the wnba. This was just the first show to drop for UConn unfortunately

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
She watched a stacked UConn team last year and a stacked UConn team this year lose to teams they should have beat by 10+. She knew that there was no chance they will get close to the final 4 next year so she went to the wnba. This was just the first show to drop for UConn unfortunately
You must be just a blast to hang out with.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I really can't blame Z at all. If I was her, I don't think I could have Geno in my sight ever after that game. She literally brought them back in the second quarter and what does he do? Put her on the bench to start the 3rd. Stupid. She scored 19 in 27 minutes. She should have played 37 minutes at least. They had no answer for her.

Despite the obvious fact that Z should have played most if not all of the 2H on Friday evening, I seriously doubt that was the deciding factor regarding her decision to go pro. I imagine she'd already made that decision some time before the Final Four took place. She doesn't strike me as the type of person who makes a decision like that on the spur of a moment.

Reaction Score
While I'm rooting for her big time, I wonder if her pro career will be closer to Iciss Tillis or Brit Griner. Most likely somewhere in between, but Griner's a great example of a post player who is very thin, but who has thrived and is an Olympian...
Griner is trim, but she is very big and strong. I’ve met her face-to-face and she is ripped. I told her I was a UConn fan, but I will confess I was scared. VERY large person.

I’m bummed that we lost, but not too discouraged about Z moving on. We have 3 returning starters including 2 AAs, plus some really nice other pieces. We had one off recruiting year (the rising juniors), but we have a returning HS #1 with a year of UConn under her belt, and 2 more super-elite recruits coming in. To me the wild card is health. If KLS (foot & ankle), Pheesa (feet), Crystal (shins) & Batouly (knee) all come back at 100% then I don’t think another undefeated regular season, #1 seed and FF appearance is out of the question at all. Really, we will have THREE HS #1’s - who else has this level of elite talent?

Reaction Score
And you know what, if Geno Auriemma believes that Megan and Mikayla do not deserve to play, then they will not. We all understand you firmly believe Geno made a fatal mistake in not playing Megan Walker a minimum of 20 to 25 minutes a game throughout the season. We also know you have been calling for Geno to do so from virtually the beginning of the season. Last, we all believe you are saying that this season would have had a better outcome than a 36-1 record and a final four appearance had Geno played Walker (and presumably others) the way you wished. I get it. I just don’t agree with you. More to the point, neither does Geno. Put another way, you are not the man in the arena, he is and your judgments and opinions will never be put to the test as have been his for 37 years. And, yes, 11 National Championships, 11 straight (and 19 total) Final Four Appearances, and a 1027-136 record means he is right and your opinion is just that, an opinion!
X 1000000. I’ve been thinking exactly the same thing. Geno may not be perfect, but his approach works better than any other coach in the country...in history.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well, if she thought some of the 5's in college were physical; if she thought it was necessary for a 5 to be an inside presence in college, if she thought working on her footwork inside was important under Geno; if she thought sitting a lot in her first year was tough under Geno; if she thought time in the weight room was important at UConn; if she thought a hard, killer mentality was important to play for UConn; if she thought losing was tough in college; if she thought her game was tested against playing occasionally against centers her size in college, wait until she hits the pros. Good luck Z, and keep working hard.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think because of the now lowered expectations for this team next year that Geno will enjoy coaching next year more than he did this year. An E8 for next year will be an achievement. I am personally so looking forward to it. Every victory for this team which may start 2 freshmen, will be an accomplishment. But beating ND next year will be heaven.

Reaction Score
it's certainly not hard to understand....I've read it almost every day here and for the most part I agree with it......but every time I suggested that perhaps Geno could be a bit flexible with that approach because MW and Coombs would be needed, I was lambasted as being a fool for even questioning Geno's philosophy......now all I hear is that MW is going to start next year.....is it not fair to ask what changed to make anyone think she deserved to see the court if her practice mentality didn't change? I believe you took a shot at me today when I added the Gregg Popovich article where several examples of his changing philosophy were cited....you can't have it both ways just because a bit of desperation has set in folks....
I honestly think he was a bit flexible with MW as she was literally handed the 7th player role, even when there were much less talented players, who earned it in practice every day. She was given repeated opportunities to solidify that spot and never could.
It literally drives me more nuts than I already am, with many here, if not most, handing MW the starting job next year. And it taking about her becoming an AA or even NPOY. Actually unless she improves enormously in quite a few areas, she may again be 6th or 7th player.
While neither of CW or Ono has practiced for even one minute, I think both may well start, because they saw as clear as day, what happened this year. There are now two starting spots and the 6th player available, and I think they might just grab it. Also they both fit best into the roles needed of players on the team. I hope for MW that she solidifies the 6th spot as they need a slashing, driving offensive player badly. But she is not a guard and CW clearly is, and I at least here think she might have the attitude and personality to want to take over.
While AZ leaving is a huge loss on top of Gabby and Kia, it provides enormous opportunities for pretty much every one.
I think Geno actually will be re-energized as no one now will pick them as the favorites and there's so, so much to do to get them to be a good team. The expectations of a NC, undefeated season will be significantly lessened. His coaching in the last two semi-final losses was no where near his capabilities. One could give him a pass for last years loss as it was so unexpected and yes, also sooner or later, one has to lose. His coaching in this semi-final was much less than stellar. I won't go into all this in depth now but I think he will do better with the challenges of next years team than most will expect. If he doesn't or can't, it may well speak the end of probably one of, if not the best, coaches, teams in any team sport ever.
As in life in a moment or a few moments, things can change enormously. We lost Ezi, we lost in the semi- finals, we lost AZ - all unexpected to most here.
One if my closest friends, his wife of many years, suffered a horrible stroke a little more than a year ago, leaving her profoundly limited in speech and mobility. She suffered and struggled for shy of three months before passing away. That is how truly bad change and loss can and does look.
We can all use a bit of perspective, as much as so many here love U Conn women's BB, change is upon us! How do we handle it and ourselves?
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I am shocked to hear Z is going pro.

I think Geno is too, back in Jan he told me he fully expected her to be back and stressed she's was NOT ready for the rigors of the WNBA. I guess something changed since that Jan convo.

I did mention I was concerned about next years team and I got laughed off the internet. I was right to very concerned. Actually we are in big trouble with no guard to replace Kia and no center to replace Z. CW is going to be great but msny need to adjust to college pace. Ono is really good but is a bit behind due to injury and needs some work until she's ready for prime time.

You will see KLS really take on the scoring load. She might go for 30 plus a night. Next year will be interesting.
Z wasn’t our center for much of this year (probably less than 50% of the time). I also see Danger taking her offensive game to another level. We’ll have challenges and we won’t be the NC favorites. Geno has said that the pressure to always be perfect is tough. It’ll be interesting to see how we do as “underdogs”.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesw1963

Top Bottom