Azura Stevens Leaving | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Azura Stevens Leaving

Reaction Score
I thought this was an April Fools joke when I read it. Best of luck to her, but boy this really puts a hurt on depth next year. If no transfers, will there be walk ons again?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A scholarship is worth more than a rookie salary. The top five draft picks make $45k or somewhere around there. What school nowadays is $45k/year when you factor in food, books, housing, etc.?
If we count just the WNBA salary and ignore the opportunity for playing overseas or sponsor money, both are in the $45-$50 K range, more at private schools. I think Geno uses the $50 K figure.

Reaction Score
Too much pressure trying to win NC back to back. ;)
Hey really, if she wants to make history she could be the first player ever to win back to back National Championships with two different teams.......Lol. jk

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
UConn is bringing in the top post recruit in the country, and while she is in need of development, she has great potential. Geno will get her going early, and I expect to see her playing a large part on this team during conference play. Stevens was a great addition and will be missed. I just don't think this team will dissolve by losing Z.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes, and that depleted Husky team, that was forced to start 2 freshmen, because they had no one else available, finished 36-2 making it to the national semifinals.
But that team had arguably the best WCBB player ever, Maya Moore. Next year’s team has one of the greatest duos in WCBB history, Katie Lou Samuelson and Napheesa Collier. Next year reminds me of 2010-11.

But think back to that time. Bria and Stef developed. Christyn and Liv will develop. We recruited Kaleena and Kia. Then we recruited Stewie, Mo, and Tuck. And we won 4 titles. If we can load up in 2019 and 2020, we can be dominant again. Geno needs all his powers of persuasion.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If we count just the WNBA salary and ignore the opportunity for playing overseas or sponsor money, both are in the $45-$50 K range, more at private schools. I think Geno uses the $50 K figure.
Z is likely to be a top 5 pick, the 2nd post selected. There’s also an opportunity for some modest sponsorship money for top picks. Certainly Stewie & Mo tapped into that funding stream once they landed in the WNBA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So let me guess record next season 8 losses min. Ga only plays 4 because freshman don't play the first year for the Huskys. He still will be stubborn and not play freshman because it's not part of "HIS" system. Irwin and Bent become starters. Sweet sixteen at best and no home cooking in the big show. Lets c how well GA coaches
I’ll take the “under” on 8 losses. We will be small and not deep, but we will have 3 fabulous players, maybe 5. Geno is still the best coach around. I can see 2-3 possible losses, maybe more. But I don’t see more than 4-5.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Z is likely to be a top 5 pick, the 2nd post selected. There’s also an opportunity for some modest sponsorship money for top picks. Certainly Stewie & Mo tapped into that funding stream once they landed in the WNBA.
I hope that Z takes what UConn staff taught her and continues to develop. She could be an Olympian. She could also be a nice mid-level WNBA player. I hope it’s the former. She’s 6’6” and needs to play like it consistently.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ll take the “under” on 8 losses. We will be small and not deep, but we will have 3 fabulous players, maybe 5. Geno is still the best coach around. I can see 2-3 possible losses, maybe more. But I don’t see more than 4-5.
2 years ago, even the most optimistic among us were guessing 2-3 losses at best. You would think UConn fans would eventually learn the eternal truth:

Never underestimate the Master...

Reaction Score
I'm not the least bit surprised that Stevens is leaving. I'm not sure she was ever comfortable with Geno's transformation of her into a low post banger. She played the wing at Duke for two years, correct?

She certainly doesn't have the bulk to be a low post player in the pros against that level of size and competition. I expect she will go back to being a three playing the wing. She could get away with playing the low post in college against considerably lesser competition than pro, but it won't work for her at the next level. She may very well have seen another year in Geno's low post as a waste of time if she thinks her pro future is as a three on the wing.

Anyway, congrats to her on a great college career and good luck to her in the pros.
If she thinks her future as a pro is as a 3/wing, I believe she will be very disappointed. She has basically no perimeter skills to speak of and should find herself the best post coach she can and get to work with them IMO.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
UCONN fans are pretty raw right now. Loss in the final 4, hated rival ND with a big comeback and wins the NC, Z announces for the draft, and Ezi decided to stay in Australia. Not a lot of good news coming our way of late. So I get why some on here are a bit frosty.

Bottom line, though, UCONN will be fine. We have always paid lip service to "UCONN will not win NC's every single season". So it comes down to this - are you a fan of UCONN or just a fan of winning? Because if it's a fan just of winning, then you are in for a world of hurt.

But if you are a true UCONN fan, you will shed some metaphorical (or actual) tears from occurrences the past few weeks, then put your big boy/girl pants back on, and root hard for our ladies.

Will we lack "____" (fill in the blank - size, toughness, moxie, experience, etc)? Sure. But the coaches will do their best to prepare the kids for a deep run next season. Many of us kept saying "enjoy the ride because sooner or later it be the halcyon days of yore" (just ask Tennessee fans about that).

I'm not asking anyone not to feel frustrated, or whatever, but this program, team, players and coaches owe us exactly nothing, and yet they give so much to us.

Questions for next year:
  1. Would Geno consider a JUCO or graduate transfer? Are there any good ones out there who are 6'4" or so?
  2. Will Megan have a sophomore leap more like Dangerfield, or Bent?
  3. Will Coombs/Camara get healthy and improve next season?
  4. In spite of being freshmen, will One and Williams be able to be counted on to contribute right away?
  5. What will UCONN do to solve the height problem? Or will we become a DePaul or Villanova next season?
I'm sure there are others, but next year will be a nice test for UCONN fans' tolerance. We made a TON of fun of LVol fans on their board as they melted down over how poorly their team has been coached and their performances and results. Can you imagine what this board would be like if the shoe were on the other foot? I'd not like to be a mod for that fiasco.

So as so many fans said, we can enjoy the ride while still being realistic. Is it likely we lose 4-5 games next season? Yes it is. I can't see us dropping out of the top 10 but I think we will struggle to be in the top 5, in spite of 2 AA's on the team. Part of the beauty is that others will be required to step up if we want to succeed. Let's hope they are up for it!
Very articulate, Dude! Your first paragraph fully explains the mood today.

UConn WCBB will be the Land of Opportunity the next few years. I’d love to see a huge recruiting haul over the next 3 years.

As for next year, we won’t be big or deep. I think that Geno changes things, with Crystal becoming a huge offensive force.

Reaction Score
It’s been confirmed on twitter by numerous reporters. Azura Stevens is leaving to go to the WNBA. Deadline is tonight. Good luck to her!

Dont. Like. It.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
2 years ago, even the most optimistic among us were guessing 2-3 losses at best. You would think UConn fans would eventually learn the eternal truth:

Never underestimate the Master...
It’s a little early to make 2018-19 predictions, because we need to see about injuries, transfers, player development, etc., but historically, I’ve estimated fewer losses than most on the Boneyard and been fairly accurate. Last year, I said 2-3, instead of 1. In prior years, I said 0-1 or 0-2. I have not predicted as high as 4 over the past decade, as I recall. I think away games at Baylor, ND, and Louisville, plus a Regional or Final Four game, are the most likely losses. UConn doesn’t lose to major underdogs more often than once every 5 years or so. We won’t be the favorite to win the NC and may go the whole year without being ranked #1, but no one will want to play us in Albany. Or Storrs. Or Hartford.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Since the news broke, I wasn't quite certain how to feel about Z moving on. I was one of those people who was sure that Z and Geno had an understanding that she would be here through next season. I finally watched Justine's post game interview with Z a few minutes ago, and saw for the first time how emotional she was. I have to believe that Z knew then that she had played her last game in a Husky uniform, and that her emotion was due in part to the loss, but more so because her experience as part of the UConn team over the past two years was coming to an end. I would have loved to have had Z for one more year, but for the short time she was here, Z made a wonderful contribution to UConn WBB.

I guess I've made my peace with her decision to leave.

Reaction Score
The Courant put it succinctly: "With her size and skill, Stevens is probably ready for the WNBA. Still, if she remained in college and improved over the next year the way she did throughout this past season, she would have been entering the 2019 draft as a stronger, smarter, better player."

Exactly. She needed to improve. She was good, and got much better in the tournaments. But she could have used another year of real games and Coach Auriemma coaching.

Wonder if Geno pushed her toward the exit by not starting her in the NCAA's. Did she feel under-appreciated with her constant coming off the bench?

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Since Connecticut Women's basketball is a model of great success, and the coaching staff is considered one of the best, if not the best of the best, I will concede my trust in the head coach and his assistants to surprise us all with the team that takes the floor each and every game next year and beyond.

Reaction Score
Wonder if Geno pushed her toward the exit by not starting her in the NCAA's. Did she feel under-appreciated with her constant coming off the bench?

Theoretically it might even be an inversion of what you suggest. I think I've heard from a few places (this forum? the Geno Show? I can't recall) that Azura isn't really the type who relishes being at the absolute center (i.e. leader, most important player) of a team. Perhaps she saw that she'd be a starter and most critical piece (and also more solidly locked into the post) next year, and decided she would rather move on to the pros where there's far more players willing and able to be at the center of the spotlight?

But I guess the reason isn't really important. I happen to also believe that she would have benefited from an extra year of seasoning, but now that she's committed I hope to be wrong on that and she thrives fully and immediately as a pro. She seems to be a nice kid.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
This is not good news, and there isn’t a way to make it feel good. But, Z’s departure provides another scholarship, and makes it somewhat clearer to certain recruits what their future playing time or position/role might look like. If Brunelle, Boston and Amihere and others are waiting for a sign in the sky, perhaps they now have it. Geno also has a clearer, if slightly less pleasing, view of the recruiting picture in time to act on it.

Finally, the team has six months or so to regroup and adapt to any potential changes in position or role.

Best of luck, Z.

Reaction Score
I'm sure multiple options were discussed in making this decision. While another year may have helped her development, there is also the possiblity of injury. It is not uncommon for the head coach to have contacted soem WNBA folks on her behalf to get a projection of where she slotted in this year. Good for her & good luck.

Reaction Score
The Courant put it succinctly: "With her size and skill, Stevens is probably ready for the WNBA. Still, if she remained in college and improved over the next year the way she did throughout this past season, she would have been entering the 2019 draft as a stronger, smarter, better player."

Exactly. She needed to improve. She was good, and got much better in the tournaments. But she could have used another year of real games and Coach Auriemma coaching.

I don't believe she is ready for the WNBA which is why I thought there was basically a zero chance of her leaving. I figured even Z herself she had to know that. She's not going to be posting up against 6-0 AAC opponents any more, and she's not going to get away with shooting 20% from the outside, or not being able to make a shot from 5 feet away consistently, and miss a ton of lay ups even when she's by far the tallest player on the court, never mind the lack luster defense. She has a ton of raw talent and potential and everyone saw and was excited by that, including Geno. Unless she gets some serious help in the WNBA, she may find herself learning the cold hard lessons of the professional world for which she may wish she could trade for even just one more year of the Storrs version.

Reaction Score
A little surprised. Z's game would have benefited from another year. It think she'd have had a special year.

That said, I wish her all the best.

Who is our center next year?

Agree. I think she definitely needs a solid year improving her defense and understanding more offensive sets. Wish her the best. Thank you Z

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is not good news, and there isn’t a way to make it feel good. But, Z’s departure provides another scholarship, and makes it somewhat clearer to certain recruits what their future playing time or position/role might look like. If Brunelle, Boston and Amihere and others are waiting for a sign in the sky, perhaps they now have it. Geno also has a clearer, if slightly less pleasing, view of the recruiting picture in time to act on it.

Finally, the team has six months or so to regroup and adapt to any potential changes in position or role.

Best of luck, Z.
The fact is that Z was going to be gone, one way or another, by the time any of the recruits you mention could have been playing at UConn. Z's decision most immediately affects all of the returning players plus ONO and CW. While I don't think it would have made a difference, it would be interesting to know if Z's decision, had it been known beforehand, would have had any impact on Ezi's decision to pass on UConn for the Australian pro league.

The one potential immediate impact, although I consider it remote at best, is if Ariel Howard from A&M, who will be immediately eligible as a graduate transfer, might possibly share a mutual interest in coming to UConn. Considering she's a 5'11" forward who averaged 12+ rebounds a game this past season, with some Gabulous leaping ability, it might just be a great one year plug-in player for the frontcourt.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom