Azura Stevens Leaving | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Azura Stevens Leaving

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Somebody dropped the ball in regards to Azura applying for hardship so she could play last year. Either Azura neglected to tell Geno about the possibility that she would not use all her eligibility, OR Geno neglected to tell Azura she could apply for hardship, and play right away, instead of sitting out a year. Either way, ayear of playing time was lost.

I often wondered why Azura wasn't more prepared for this season. What was she doing last year, and was Geno "neglecting" her development. Either way, last year was not used to maximum benefit. The whole situation stinks, given the way things worked out.

A couple of points. There is no such thing as a hardship waiver anymore. The NCAA eliminated that reason for immediately eligibility a few years ago. Remember, the hardship required that the student-athlete transfer closer to home for family/medical reasons. Here's an explanation from a story written about the NCAA's decision which will probably make a few here chuckle:

It goes back to the integrity of the transfer. In college basketball plenty of coaches (and plenty have told me this off the record) have bent the spirit of the hardship waiver to its limits, often earning immediate eligibility from a player under embellished personal circumstances. Now the NCAA is saying that all players seeking transfer under these circumstances should focus on school and the personal matter in their first year before getting back on the court.

This has not stopped coaches and the media from continuing to use the term "hardship" when discussing waiver applications, including Muffet who continually referred to Shepard's situation as a "hardship waiver" (Shepard's application would not have met the criteria under the old hardship rules.)

After Azura and Batouly transferred to UConn, Geno was asked whether either would seek to file for immediate eligibility in light of the decisions on Chatrice White and Natalie Romero. Here was Geno's response:

I don't have an answer behind those other programs what happened, why some kids are eligible and some kids are not," Auriemma said. "I just know that our two are not. From talking to them, it doesn't seem like there is anything that would make me think 'OK we should go and pursue this.' I don't know happened that those other players were able to do that. If I felt there were something there, I would pursue it but it would be dishonest for me to think there is when there isn't."

I would have to think that if UConn were to accept transfers in the future and if the current NCAA rules haven't changed, it would be foolish for Geno not to take a different approach and seek immediate eligibility. Every coach should do that. Nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain. In the meantime, school's compliance officers should sit down with the NCAA and ask them what criteria are applied to waiver applications.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I too got into a conversation about Walker and Coombs suddenly grasping the UConn way over the summer and being possible starters in November. I was called something not nice but I still believe that the odds are against it but one can hope.
Why would you think the odds are against it? Jefferson did it. Collier did it. Dangerfield did it. It's not like it's something out of the blue.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A couple of points. There is no such thing as a hardship waiver anymore. The NCAA eliminated that reason for immediately eligibility a few years ago. Remember, the hardship required that the student-athlete transfer closer to home for family/medical reasons. Here's an explanation from a story written about the NCAA's decision which will probably make a few here chuckle:

It goes back to the integrity of the transfer. In college basketball plenty of coaches (and plenty have told me this off the record) have bent the spirit of the hardship waiver to its limits, often earning immediate eligibility from a player under embellished personal circumstances. Now the NCAA is saying that all players seeking transfer under these circumstances should focus on school and the personal matter in their first year before getting back on the court.

This has not stopped coaches and the media from continuing to use the term "hardship" when discussing waiver applications, including Muffet who continually referred to Shepard's situation as a "hardship waiver" (Shepard's application would not have met the criteria under the old hardship rules.)

After Azura and Batouly transferred to UConn, Geno was asked whether either would seek to file for immediate eligibility in light of the decisions on Chatrice White and Natalie Romero. Here was Geno's response:

I don't have an answer behind those other programs what happened, why some kids are eligible and some kids are not," Auriemma said. "I just know that our two are not. From talking to them, it doesn't seem like there is anything that would make me think 'OK we should go and pursue this.' I don't know happened that those other players were able to do that. If I felt there were something there, I would pursue it but it would be dishonest for me to think there is when there isn't."

I would have to think that if UConn were to accept transfers in the future and if the current NCAA rules haven't changed, it would be foolish for Geno not to take a different approach and seek immediate eligibility. Every coach should do that. Nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain. In the meantime, school's compliance officers should sit down with the NCAA and ask them what criteria are applied to waiver applications.
Thanks for the Geno quote!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The fact that Boley, Slocum, Stevens, Cooper and a lot more were not allowed to play is a travesty, when you look at what the NCAA did for ND.

After the Shepard decision schools would be crazy not to file waiver applications for every transfer. What's the worst that can happen? At the same time, I am 100% certain that the NCAA would never have granted a waiver for Azura Stevens to play immediately.

Last edited:

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
After the Shepard decision schools would be crazy not to file waiver applications for every transfer. What's the worse that can happen? At the same time, I am 100% certain that the NCAA would never have granted a waiver for Azura Stevens to play immediately.

I totally agree and I think the reason they do what they do has nothing to do with what is right;)

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
If coaches/players do file waiver applications in the future I would not follow the Dawn Staley playbook on how to get one approved.

LOL that is so true.

Reaction Score
Nebraska investigated Connie Yori and the result of that investigation was the resignation of Yori. Duke investigated JPM and the result was that JPM was retained and given a vote of confidence by the AD.
I tend to agree. And ND will be " loaded " next year, if all those ACL's have healed. They should be ranked number 1 all year. ND always gets a much longer, deeper bench of talent than UCONN does. That's why they were able to accomplish what they did this season. UCONN won, in the past, because our top 6 were better than their top 6, and we played better defense.

Reaction Score
very well put.......and yes call me crazy but I do believe that MW may very well have made a difference in that game but we will never know because she was left languishing on the bench.....all I ask is for a little consistency.....you want to say my opinion can't possibly be right because Geno said she wasn't good enough... that's fine but then don't all of a sudden call MW the second coming because you need her to perform next year due to others leaving unexpectedly..
The thing no one dares mention about the use/non use, and the "trust/ non-trust" Geno did or did not have in her, is the following:

She may not be that good.

We all assume, because she was named HS POY, that she is of the quality of Katy Lou, Maya Moore, or even MKL. The committee may have made a mistake.

Did you watch that freshman at Texas A&M?

Walker did not impress me. I did begin to believe when she scored so well against ND and UCLA. But that quickly disappeared. In her last few appearances, she made a lay-up or two, but no outside shots. I think her rebounding was decent and her defense improved. But the person she was guarding usually scored. She never " jumped in and took over a game," as we saw Katy Lou, Maya and MKL do on several occasions of their freshman years. Especially when the games became important. And the ultimate measure; Geno did not use her one second in the final four. If you believe in coach Auriemma, and we all do , that tells you something.

I want to be way off here. But why do we assume she will be a superstar?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I remember that Geno quote. It made me say to myself “and this is the guy people think cheats?”

There would have a been cacophony of outrage had UConn applied and the NCAA granted a waiver for Azura Stevens and it wouldn't have mattered how many ACL tears the UConn program had suffered.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
There would have a been cacophony of outrage had UConn applied and the NCAA granted a waiver for Azura Stevens and it wouldn't have mattered how many ACL tears the UConn program had suffered.

Can I give 100 likes for this

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
However, I do think that ND has opened up the door to similar waiver requests being granted. So if, by chance Lauren Cox decided she wanted to transfer from Baylor to UConn for “personal reasons,” I don’t see any reason why Geno wouldn’t ask for and receive a waiver to make Cox immediately eligible. :)

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
There is supposed to be change coming but the pressure is from the fact that the NCAA is being viewed as a money and power hungry organization and under a lot of pressure from lawsuits.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I dont, I think the Chong team was better!
That wasn’t the question.

Do you think this year’s team would have been better without Azurá?

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I think every player has the right to move on to start their money making career. Do I think she could have improved a whole lot by staying at Uconn, absolutely.

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I think every player has the right to move on to start there money making career. Do I think she could have improved a whole lot by staying at Uconn, absolutely.
The question is, do you think Geno would have taken Azura, if he knew that he had to give two years of scholarship for one season of playing? All of Geno's quotes indicate that he was looking forward to working with Azura for another year. Hard to tell when Geno knew that Azura was leaving early.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'd bet my right arm that he's not. Azurá isn't the type of kid to make a rash decision due to one loss.

And aside from that, check out the poster's history. Seemingly out of nowhere, he suddenly becomes a prolific purveyor of doom and gloom. This place has become the Revenge of the Debbie Downers.
I don't believe it was a decision made after one loss. It's possible it was an accumulation of things. However, I saw a recent interview with Z and there was no indication of discontent. That interview had me believing she would return. Of course it's just speculation but, maybe someone got in her ear. Oh well, the team will miss her, especially on offense.

Reaction Score
I'm not the least bit surprised that Stevens is leaving. I'm not sure she was ever comfortable with Geno's transformation of her into a low post banger. She played the wing at Duke for two years, correct?

I suspect that that was not her only area of discomfort. I for one would have been surprised if she had stayed for one more year. Not every player can hang with Geno and the Uconn program. You need to read between the lines of Geno's quotes on Stevens. Players are not as coach able as they once were.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Azura Stevens surprised Auriemma by announcing she was foregoing her final year of college eligibility to enter the WNBA draft. In the school’s release, Auriemma wished Stevens the best. He had nothing to add Tuesday.

Reaction Score
Griner is trim, but she is very big and strong. I’ve met her face-to-face and she is ripped. I told her I was a UConn fan, but I will confess I was scared. VERY large person.

I’m bummed that we lost, but not too discouraged about Z moving on. We have 3 returning starters including 2 AAs, plus some really nice other pieces. We had one off recruiting year (the rising juniors), but we have a returning HS #1 with a year of UConn under her belt, and 2 more super-elite recruits coming in. To me the wild card is health. If KLS (foot & ankle), Pheesa (feet), Crystal (shins) & Batouly (knee) all come back at 100% then I don’t think another undefeated regular season, #1 seed and FF appearance is out of the question at all. Really, we will have THREE HS #1’s - who else has this level of elite talent?
This all sounds logical the way you explained it, but is as many here, seems to be either overly optimistic or overly pessimistic.
Having a HS #1 doesn't necessarily mean a thing. MW has an enormous amount of work to do mentally and physically, to become a meaningful part of next years team. While it's surely doable, it's also very possible she becomes a good support player.
I truly hope that CW and Ono now start but that will mean two freshman playing strong roles, when it is hard for even one to do that.
We clearly had one off recruiting year, with potentially a second following that one.
I think an undefeated season is almost impossible. A #1 seed highly unlikely, and a final four appearance requires every part to fall into place.
Also talent doesn't often or even usually translate to any of those three things happening. Look at Texas or even Baylor, as two examples of great talent not going as far as anticipated.
I do though believe next years team, baring any significant injuries, to be better than expected now. I think Geno will be unburdened by the pressure of a 100+ game winning streak and two undefeated seasons going into the FF. I think he will coach his butt off and enjoy it more. I believe that KLS will get better, score more, and continue being a better, more balanced player. Pheesa also will have a great season and take over more of the load. Crystal will hopefully be over her shin splints and will have learned a lot to make her even better than she was this year. Some of the remaining players will need to step up. I'm guessing that CW will begin her journey to become legendary. Ono will have to grow faster than she should have to. MW will improve and become a solid first sub. Then whether it be Kayla, Batouly or Coombs will have their opportunities to be part of the mix.
I believe we will lose 2-4 regular season games, which actually will become a good thing. I'm hoping for them to get to and through the Elite Eight, which will be a significant accomplishment. Them hopefully the next two years we will bring in strong recruiting classes and be right back in the front or middle of everything. As evidenced by the four teams in the FF, there's much more talent and equality in the women's game, which is wonderful.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Azura was coached by Geno and his staff for 2 years. Maybe she felt she had learned as much as she needed to compete at the next level. Maybe she felt she was underutilized this season because Geno didn't trust her enough. I don't watch as many UConn games as you all do, but in the games I saw her play, I thought she was very effective. Yet, she wasn't a starter and she often wasn't in the game at crucial times. It wasn't like there was another player of her size at UConn that she had to compete with, yet Geno seemed to prefer to go with a smaller line up rather than play her more. You all had Natalie Butler transfer and she also wasn't utilized at UConn the way she was at Georgetown or George Mason - which I assume is why she left. I could understand that Natalie might have been a little below your other starters, but I think Z is very talented and would have started at any other top program.

Reaction Score
I want to address 2 points.

I think Geno demanded perfection from Megan, because he could afford to last year, as he had 6 superb players ahead of her. He also sees her potential and is pushing her hard. Next year, he will be in the position of perhaps having to let some underclassmen play through (minor) mistakes.

Let’s talk about Megan in a year or two or three. Other than maybe Chennedy Carter, there are not many players in her class who will reach a level that Megan will. The talent is clearly there.
So many here, including you, whom I usually respect their opinions and insights, I just don't get the huge expectations for MW based upon her play this year. Yes she had a few games and a few more moments where she showed potential.
I truly hope to be wrong about MW but I think it's all quite a bit overblown and may actually hold her back. At very best, I see her as a 2nd or 3rd team AA and that too will take a lot of work and enormous progress. She surely will have all the opportunity in the world with three of our best players leaving.
While Geno could (although I doubt he will) ease up a bit on his expectations for freshman, all of you should be very careful what you wish for. I believe the last two losses in the semi-finals have to do much with other issues than his treatment and expectations placed upon the freshman.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Good luck to Z.
However, this is not the end of the world. Basketball is a game of minutes, a total of 200 per game. The remaining players will now get more of them, and need to produce.
I have been saying all year that Megan Walker needed more game time to develop. ooops.
We will have a different style, but with MW, CW , Lou...we will be raining threes down on everyone's heads.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom