Azura Stevens Leaving | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Azura Stevens Leaving

Reaction Score
I think because of the now lowered expectations for this team next year that Geno will enjoy coaching next year more than he did this year. An E8 for next year will be an achievement. I am personally so looking forward to it. Every victory for this team which may start 2 freshmen, will be an accomplishment. But beating ND next year will be heaven.
JordyG this is I believe so right on. I'm not the least but sure we can and will beat ND next year, but if so it would be heavenly.
As you said, If we can get to an E8, that will be an accomplishment. And life will surely still go on!
Bronx23

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with Bronx23 on at least two points:

1. Lots of opportunity! Christyn Williams, come on down.

2. This is a game. There are lots of more important things in life.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Maybe he is Plebe but, he just may be right.
I'd bet my right arm that he's not. Azurá isn't the type of kid to make a rash decision due to one loss.

And aside from that, check out the poster's history. Seemingly out of nowhere, he suddenly becomes a prolific purveyor of doom and gloom. This place has become the Revenge of the Debbie Downers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Whether it was a fluke or not is debatable, but regardless and to your point, we didn't play our best and it took a top team to beat us in overtime. Everyone was spoiled with Stewie and big 3 because it is rare that one team is that much better than the rest of the field for that long. I thought it was tremendous season and we beat the best of the best, unfortunately we slipped when it mattered most.

My hope is now it will force Lou and Pheesa to become go to players while others develop and are complimentary to them. I was most disappointed that they did not run more plays for especially Lou in the 4th or OT. Just like end of 1st quarter, sometimes your best player taking not the best shot is better than indecisiveness of the whole team. Also didn't understand the defense allowing Young wide open. Didn't really see them play that defense all year except the last two games. Against a team like SC it made sense because their talent for perimeter shooting was deficient.

I know I am not even .00001% of what Geno is but part if the fun of being a fan is having an opinion.
I love this sentence. We all need to keep it in mind:

“Everyone was spoiled with Stewie and big 3 because it is rare that one team is that much better than the rest of the field for that long.”

Next year, we have more parity. We won’t be favored against the field, which is a preposterous thought in any year. But if Geno can get the kids he wants over the next 3 years, some very, very good things could happen.

Reaction Score
IMHO the starting lineup for UCONN next season can be:
Crystal Dangerfield PG Continued improvement
M. Walker SG If Crystal Dangerfield could improve so much in her off-season so can Megan, if not C. Williams looked really good in McDonalds's AA game (see below)
N. Collier PF Returning AA
K.L. Samuelson SF Returning AA
B. Camara C When she is healthy she is a Jamelle Elliott type player, big heart and aggressive

I do think Geno has to rethink his freshmen policy of demanding perfection as today's freshmen may not be as ready for tough love as in the past!
A lot of teams got a lot of mileage out of their freshmen and they weren't nearly as talented as Megan Walker and crew! Just saying!

Reaction Score
UCONN will be fine for the most part. The only teams that look really imposing now are Baylor and Notre Dame, since both have an outstanding post combination with a great passer from the high post (Cox/Shepard). Jessica Shepard in particular looks like a nightmare now for the Huskies. If Mississippi State plays UCONN, I really don't see how anyone on UCONN's roster has a prayer against McCowan, but on the flipside, no one else for Mississippi State is dangerous.

UCONN has managed fine with smaller lineups in the past, the key is they need other players to emerge as strong rebounders even if they aren't tall. Rebounding is mostly about positioning, effort, and being able to recognize where the ball is going to go. I'd look for Walker to fill this void if she can get out of Geno's dog house. She's a good rebounder and has size and athleticism. Collier is a strong rebounder too and has long arms which helps. Past players who've excelled as undersized rebounders include Faris, Gabby Williams, DT, Barbara Turner, Kalana Greene, etc.

UCONN does have ONO inside, too. From what I've seen, she does look a bit more raw, but her upside is huge. It's likely going to take her a little bit to adjust to the college game, but I think by the end of the year she could be very good.

What you lose in Stevens is a reliable scoring presence inside and a good passing post player. The passing aspect is huge. Stevens averaged almost 2 assists per game as a 6-6 center playing just 20 minutes a night. Losing that, plus Gabby's 5 assists per game hurts big time IMO. Walker/ONO/Camara are likely not going to be as good at finding open teammates (and keeping turnovers low) as Azura. I think this will be Geno's most challenging season since maybe 2011-12 when they lost Moore, but UCONN will still be a heavy Final Four favorite and should be the #2 preseason team in the country.

MSU will start the two senior guards of course in Jas Holmes and Jordan Danberry and both are lightning quick who will penetrate and set up Big T quite nicely. Bibby will start at the 4 and I look for big improvements from her and that leaves a wing to fill out the starting lineup. We gonna miss VV but I think Xaria will do just fine 6'1" just like VV with a sweet jumper who can also get to the rim :)

Reaction Score
exactly......do you think Shepard is having second thoughts about ND.....I hear she's psychologically exhausted after winning the NC.....I know of an opening in Storrs..

Hope Geno gets on the cell phone with Texas A&M junior Anriel Howard who is a possible grad transfer with immediate eligibility.

Texas A&M junior Anriel Howard is considering a potential transfer from the Aggies, according to multiple reports from KBTXand The Bryan-College Station Eagle. Because she is set to graduate early this summer, she would be immediately eligible to play next season as a graduate transfer.

Howard averaged 12 rebounds per game this past season, second in the SEC, and is A&M's career and season rebounding leader, despite being an undersized post player at just 5-foot-11. She also ranked 36th in the nation last year in rebounding rate, according to Her Hoop Stats.

Could be a good replacement for Gabby!

IMG_0495.JPG

Read more here: An elite rebounder could transfer from Texas A&M — and she has history with USC

Reaction Score
MSU will start the two senior guards of course in Jas Holmes and Jordan Danberry and both are lightning quick who will penetrate and set up Big T quite nicely. Bibby will start at the 4 and I look for big improvements from her and that leaves a wing to fill out the starting lineup. We gonna miss VV but I think Xaria will do just fine 6'1" just like VV with a sweet jumper who can also get to the rim :)

I thought I saw Dominique Dillingham on the MSU bench in civvies. Is she a grad assistant or something?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If we count just the WNBA salary and ignore the opportunity for playing overseas or sponsor money, both are in the $45-$50 K range, more at private schools. I think Geno uses the $50 K figure.
along with no finals exams, homework, research and study... the WNBA and overseas is kind of a good deal

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
IMHO the starting lineup for UCONN next season can be:
Crystal Dangerfield PG Continued improvement
M. Walker SG If Crystal Dangerfield could improve so much in her off-season so can Megan, if not C. Williams looked really good in McDonalds's AA game (see below)
N. Collier PF Returning AA
K.L. Samuelson SF Returning AA
B. Camara C When she is healthy she is a Jamelle Elliott type player, big heart and aggressive

I do think Geno has to rethink his freshmen policy of demanding perfection as today's freshmen may not be as ready for tough love as in the past!
A lot of teams got a lot of mileage out of their freshmen and they weren't nearly as talented as Megan Walker and crew! Just saying!
I want to address 2 points.

I think Geno demanded perfection from Megan, because he could afford to last year, as he had 6 superb players ahead of her. He also sees her potential and is pushing her hard. Next year, he will be in the position of perhaps having to let some underclassmen play through (minor) mistakes.

Let’s talk about Megan in a year or two or three. Other than maybe Chennedy Carter, there are not many players in her class who will reach a level that Megan will. The talent is clearly there.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
along with no finals exams, homework, research and study... the WNBA and overseas is kind of a good deal
Not a bad deal at all, but earning a degree or a second degree is not a bad option. Many adults say the best years of their lives were when they were college students. Even Tuck noted that. So did Caroline Doty. In short, there are major positives to both decisions.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Mississippi State’s guard play will be strong. Just need those two to work on perimeter jumpers. I also liked what I saw from Bibby in stretches. I think MSU will be strong again mainly because of T and coaching. I think they’re solidly a top 10 team next year...honestly wouldn’t be shocked by another Final Four if McCowan continues to improve.

Reaction Score
you're 6'8 too? do you have any eligibility left?
I have all my eligibility left, and have graduated, so I could play right now, transfer at any time and be immediately eligible. But I would definitely fail the chromosome test. Anyway, I'm just 6' even. BG was sitting down and I was standing up, but it seemed like we were face-to-face.

Reaction Score
Huh...

Good enough to be projected the second overall pick in the WNBA draft by one site, most likely top 5 overall.

Not good enough to start a single game when her collegiate team was healthy. Not good enough to start either half of a collegiate national semi-final. Not good enough to even be on the floor for a potential game winning "2" with 3.6 seconds to play, despite being the team's most efficient scorer and rebounder in the game, having taken 5 of the team's 6 foul shots.

Reaction Score
I also think Z originally planned to stay next year and is going to the W because of how much she sat, not just in the semi, but all year. The W just doesn't pay enough to be solely a financial decision.

Next year will be interesting. I think the key to the season is KLS durability. If she's healthy and strong all year, we may not be favorites to win it all, but we'll be a threat. I wish Megan had played more this year. She could have averaged 10 minutes more a game without threatening any of the wins. But that's not the system, and I don't think it precludes her improving and contributing enormously next year, in fact that's what I expect to happen.

I never form a real opinion on freshmen until I actually see them play, I don't have a good enough eye to project from high school. But there's a good chance to get a lot from the two coming in.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
It's nice to know I'm having an impact on so many..who's the .5?
It's nice to know I'm having an impact on so many..who's the .5?

Maybe we could add to the 2.5 (or 2-5) a notorious Early Modern thinker who had a lot to say about how to gain, and maintain, power in THE PRINCE, one of the most reviled and read books that appeared during the sixteenth century.

For Machiavelli, flexibility is the name of he game, really the only game if one is hope to retain power and/or be successful in a world characterized by constant change. The problem, as he sees things, is that in general human beings are not very adept at doing just that, because "a man is not often found sufficiently circumspect to know how to accommodate himself to the change." Maybe in the UCONN case this would be dealing with a different sort of recruits? A team without a truly trancendent star? Or talent becoming dispersed ever more widely? But whatever the changes a leader faces, and no matter how clever that leader may be, Machiavelli goes on to say that failure is likely inevitable. Why? "Both because he [the leader] cannot deviate from what nature inclines him to do [seek for perfection?], and also because, having always prospered by acting in one way [11 National Titles+, after all], he cannot be persuaded that it is well to leave it [and act differently]."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I also think Z originally planned to stay next year and is going to the W because of how much she sat, not just in the semi, but all year. The W just doesn't pay enough to be solely a financial decision.

Next year will be interesting. I think the key to the season is KLS durability. If she's healthy and strong all year, we may not be favorites to win it all, but we'll be a threat. I wish Megan had played more this year. She could have averaged 10 minutes more a game without threatening any of the wins. But that's not the system, and I don't think it precludes her improving and contributing enormously next year, in fact that's what I expect to happen.

I never form a real opinion on freshmen until I actually see them play, I don't have a good enough eye to project from high school. But there's a good chance to get a lot from the two coming in.
So you think she left because of playing time? Which of the following would you have benched to make room for Z: KLS, Collier, Crystal, Kia, or Gabby? Don’t forget it took until January to stop getting her to jack up 3s that weren’t going in. Maybe at Duke a 20% 3 point shooter is coveted, but not at UConn where we routinely have 3 players on the floor that can shoot it at a 40%+ clip. Also how was her defense compared to the others? The only thing higher than Z’s points per minute ratio seemed to be her foul rate.

Reaction Score
Does anyone want to give their insight or opinion on whether she's first or second round??

She is absolutely a high first-round pick. Can you see anyone choosing DD over Z? Of course not. She brought UConn back big-time against Notre Dame in the semi-final game, and demonstrated throughout the tournament that she was an elite player. Indeed, perhaps her decision to go pro was heavily influenced by her improving play in the post season.

Though she would have benefited from another year with Coach Geno, we cannot ignore that that year would have been bought at the price of earnings forgone. She will make minimal money this summer in the WNBA, but combine that with what she will make beginning this fall in Europe or China, and we're talking about- what?- a quarter million bucks or so when she would have earned nothing at UConn.

How many kids would have remained in school for another year knowing that they were leaving a quarter mil on the table? Yes, it's not the NBA. But for most young people, it's significant. And for kids who know that their earning ability is highly limited by age, it makes the decision even more compelling.

Reaction Score

I am looking forward to the continuing competition between MSU and South Carolina moving forward. I know others outside the conference are trying to forcast doom for the program but i liked what i saw in games when they knew Aja was going to be out and prepped for games without her. Both Tenn losses were when Aja's absence came unexpectedly with not time to prepare. They won 3 games 2 on the road impressively without her. When they knew she had the vertigo and prepared to play on SEC tourney without her they did well with Harrigan amd Jennings scoring in double figures all three games. Adding Cuevas-Moore, Tea Cooper, and Destiny Henderson to the backcourt with Ty Harris and Jackson will be strong. They will run more amd play the pressure defense they used to win their first SEC title before Coates and Wilson arrived. They will be different but effective. I believe A&M, SC, MSU and possible Tenn should all be Top 10-15 squads with ability to be better depending on chemistry and coaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom