Autumn enters transfer portal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Autumn enters transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sometimes excellent students can’t get into their dream school through the normal application process. This might be a way to transfer to Autumn’s dream school.

The valedictorian of my son’s high school class applied to a lot of schools - Yale, Harvard, North Carolina, ND, Duke, etc and got into most of them but wasn’t accepted at her dream school of Princeton. This could be the case for Autumn as well. If she can get a scholly, even a partial one, to an excellent academic institution, why not go for it?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
This will be one of those rare times when reality will be better than the dream.

Maybe. Or maybe not? If the biggest reason that Autumn is transferring (as some have speculated) is because there wasn't a scholarship opportunity, then, no, the reality isn't better than the dream. UConn is really expensive for out-of-state students, and I hope that she didn't feel like she had to leave because of the cost.

If this decision is purely about playing time, she'll obviously be happier elsewhere.

Reaction Score
She is a straight A student at high school...

Autumn, who had a perfect 4.0 GPA in high school and was the valedictorian of her class, plans to go to medical school one day. This would requires a strenuous undergraduate program, the type that doesn’t pair well with life as a Division I athlete.
UCONN alumnus, Dr. Leigh Curl, would disagree with you. It is possible to play D1 ball and get into Med School and prosper. Takes a particularly smart and dedicated person.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
You need to read this,

At the DI level, most of Autumn’s offers came from low-major schools. However, there was one power conference school that was in the AP Top 10 as recently as last season that showed interest, pulled off but then came back late in the process with an offer.

Methinks she may have been following her fathers dream, rather than her own.

Check these quotes from the above article:

1) “As long as she was playing, I didn’t have to worry about losing because I had the best kid on the court,” he said. “If all else fails, ‘Hey I need a stop. Hey I need a bucket.’”

2) “I’ve got at least 10 games still recorded on our DVR and have the last national championship game still recorded... She’s a huge fan, always has been.”

3) He used Geno Auriemma’s offense with his AAU team, so any time the Huskies played was an opportunity for him to review film with Autumn.

4) “I sent CD an email letting her know my daughter loves the school and would love it if there’s any possibility, even if it didn’t work out...she’d love to possibly still be part of the team,"

5) “She’s a phenomenal basketball player, she’s always been my point guard, She runs the team, she’s a coach on the court, she can drop the ball into anyone at any point in time, you just have to be looking for it. She can get to the basket at will, she’s a lights-out shooter. She can stop and pull-up, she’s got unlimited range.”

6) “She’s a ridiculously smart kid, genius-level intellect,” he said. “Super high ACT score, there’s nothing the kid can’t do. I don’t think she’s ever made a B, period. And she’s a really good basketball player. Like really, really good.”

Lots more of this in the article....

And, Finally:
When they traveled up to Storrs to drop Autumn off, Tehmi was in no rush to leave his daughter and head home. But Autumn was ready to fly from the nest. "We were trying to hang around her apartment and she was like ‘Okay guys, okay guys,’”

My take: She's a bright, smart kid, has grown up away from "Dad" and has now made her own decision.

Props to Autumn....

Reaction Score
Methinks she may have been following her fathers dream, rather than her own.

Check these quotes from the above article:

1) “As long as she was playing, I didn’t have to worry about losing because I had the best kid on the court,” he said. “If all else fails, ‘Hey I need a stop. Hey I need a bucket.’”

2) “I’ve got at least 10 games still recorded on our DVR and have the last national championship game still recorded... She’s a huge fan, always has been.”

3) He used Geno Auriemma’s offense with his AAU team, so any time the Huskies played was an opportunity for him to review film with Autumn.

4) “I sent CD an email letting her know my daughter loves the school and would love it if there’s any possibility, even if it didn’t work out...she’d love to possibly still be part of the team,"

5) “She’s a phenomenal basketball player, she’s always been my point guard, She runs the team, she’s a coach on the court, she can drop the ball into anyone at any point in time, you just have to be looking for it. She can get to the basket at will, she’s a lights-out shooter. She can stop and pull-up, she’s got unlimited range.”

6) “She’s a ridiculously smart kid, genius-level intellect,” he said. “Super high ACT score, there’s nothing the kid can’t do. I don’t think she’s ever made a B, period. And she’s a really good basketball player. Like really, really good.”

Lots more of this in the article....

And, Finally:
When they traveled up to Storrs to drop Autumn off, Tehmi was in no rush to leave his daughter and head home. But Autumn was ready to fly from the nest. "We were trying to hang around her apartment and she was like ‘Okay guys, okay guys,’”

My take: She's a bright, smart kid, has grown up away from "Dad" and has now made her own decision.

Props to Autumn....
I basically said the same thing and got attacked. Her dad is a stagedad to the fullest trying to use the media to sway the fans' opinion so that people will say oh Geno should play Autumn. Nah, some deeper digging and the only true offer was a NAIA school. I watched some high school footage of her and she hardly stood out at the lowest classification in her state and took a lot of time to get her shot off.

Be free Autumn, live YOUR dreams. You can say you were part of UConn for a season, but now this is your time.

Reaction Score
I watched some high school footage of her and she hardly stood out at the lowest classification in her state and took a lot of time to get her shot off.
She scored avg. 14 pts, 10 asts and 5 rebs at her high school, and you said she is at the lowest classification? What is your standard classification?

"Chassion, a first team All-Acadiana selection who averaged 14 points, 10 assists and five rebounds per game last season for Lafayette Christian Academy in her senior season, chose to walk on to the Huskies' program rather than accept offers from smaller Division I and junior college programs."

Reaction Score
Seems like a great kid and a solid player but she's a Low D1/D2/D3 player. Hope she finds a fit where she can play. Ivy League might make sense if she is a High Academic type.

Wonder is she could go back home and get minutes at Tulane or Rice. Might be a stretch. Vandy would be a stretch too but there is probably some comfort with Shea and Shea knows better than us what level she can play at.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Agree, this is the very logic assumption. May be we will have a transfer announce soon ..
With Anna not coming back, Geno has one scholarship available. There’s virtually no room at the Inn, except for a small spot in a corner. I have no inside information, but I’m guessing that if he were to offer that 15th scholarship, it would be to a 6’5”+ BIG that can help them win now, not in a year or two.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
With Anna not coming back, Geno has one scholarship available. There’s virtually no room at the Inn, except for a small spot in a corner. I have no inside information, but I’m guessing that if he were to offer that 15th scholarship, it would be to a 6’5”+ BIG that can help them win now, not in a year or two.
Maybe somebody 6'7"? I don't think Geno wants the team disruption of that, but only you @Carnac can see through the shadows.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UCONN alumnus, Dr. Leigh Curl, would disagree with you. It is possible to play D1 ball and get into Med School and prosper. Takes a particularly smart and dedicated person.
I'm drawing a blank on the name, butDuke had an AA pre-meddie and she went on to get her MD.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Seems like a great kid and a solid player but she's a Low D1/D2/D3 player. Hope she finds a fit where she can play. Ivy League might make sense if she is a High Academic type.

Wonder is she could go back home and get minutes at Tulane or Rice. Might be a stretch. Vandy would be a stretch too but there is probably some comfort with Shea and Shea knows better than us what level she can play at.

I really don't think anyone on this board has the faintest idea of what Autumn's potential
is as a player.

I wouldn't be surprised (pure conjecture) if she surprises us. :)

Reaction Score

Tulane has a great medical school. And it’s just a great city.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Maybe somebody 6'7"? I don't think Geno wants the team disruption of that, but only you @Carnac can see through the shadows.
You might be right. If I’m a coach, and Cardoso knocks on my door, I’d would welcome her in. I have 7 months to figure it out. 6’7” can help you win games in late March. That’s my ultimate goal this coming season. If I’m convinced she can help us win those last 3 tournament games, she’s in.

I don’t know if her addition to the team would upset the chemistry. I would if I was with them every day, but I'm not. I agree that when you have it and it’s good, you don’t disrupt it.

I didn’t have my name mentioned once all season as I tried to predict the MOV of our games. Conversely I along with most everyone else here correctly read the tea leaves and surmised that Mulkey was leaving Baylor. Because of my “temporary” inability to see through the shadows, I’ve had to step back into them. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is not my opinion. I copy from StorrsCentral news.

Reaction Score
Elizabeth Williams?

Don't think Elizabeth Williams has even attended medical school yet, much less graduates. I think RockyMT may be thinking of Alison Bales, although I don't think Alison was an AA, but she went on to play in the WNBA for 5 years before going back to get her MD degree.

Reaction Score
I really don't think anyone on this board has the faintest idea of what Autumn's potential
is as a player.

I wouldn't be surprised (pure conjecture) if she surprises us. :)

“I think XX will surprise us” has got to be one of the most common statements in this board. It’s probably correct about 1 in 100 times.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm drawing a blank on the name, butDuke had an AA pre-meddie and she went on to get her MD.

Dr Georgia Beasley (Schweitzer) was the AA... Dr Allison Bales was another good player... didn't make AA though I'm sure Bales got a few honorable mention AA votes. Dr Elizabeth Waner played under McCallie for a year. is another one. Jenna Frush played 4 seasons in the same class as Elizabeth Williams.. as should be finishing up Med School this year.

Reaction Score
Dr Georgia Beasley (Schweitzer) was the AA... Dr Allison Bales was another good player... didn't make AA though I'm sure Bales got a few honorable mention AA votes. Dr Elizabeth Waner played under McCallie for a year. is another one. Jenna Frush played 4 seasons in the same class as Elizabeth Williams.. as should be finishing up Med School this year.

Elizabeth Waner, I assume she is Abby's sister. I actually started watching wcbb during the Duke/GG/Abby Waner era and was a fan of Duke wbb at that time. Still don't know how Duke lost to Maryland in that 2006 national championship game.

Reaction Score
Would love to see her at Cornell. Would be an instant starter/contributor. Cornell also has the Cornell/Weill medical school in New York City. A win/win

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why folks keep saying Ivy. Reports are she already had Ivy offers out of HS. And she would not get a scholarship.

Seems highly highly unlikely.

Reaction Score
She scored avg. 14 pts, 10 asts and 5 rebs at her high school, and you said she is at the lowest classification? What is your standard classification?

"Chassion, a first team All-Acadiana selection who averaged 14 points, 10 assists and five rebounds per game last season for Lafayette Christian Academy in her senior season, chose to walk on to the Huskies' program rather than accept offers from smaller Division I and junior college programs."

Lowest classification meaning in her state's enrollment. I believe I saw that her team played in the state 1A division.

Reaction Score
Elizabeth Waner, I assume she is Abby's sister. I actually started watching wcbb during the Duke/GG/Abby Waner era and was a fan of Duke wbb at that time. Still don't know how Duke lost to Maryland in that 2006 national championship game.
Same here, I remember the game vs Tennessee when Waner hit that three from the T in Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Lowest classification meaning in her state's enrollment. I believe I saw that her team played in the state 1A division.
Division III.
Based on my read, Division IV is the largest for private schools. D3 is next.
Public schools are separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32