2025 Recruiting: - Australian PG Jacob Furphy | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Australian PG Jacob Furphy

Reaction Score
The Illinois guy said he’s expected to announce this week and UConn is expected to be the choice. Said Illinois was making a late push so we shall see

Reaction Score
Trying to watch Furphy film and it's impossible because all 5 guys on Australia's teams look identical.
australia defense identical.jpg

Reaction Score
Trying to watch Furphy film and it's impossible because all 5 guys on Australia's teams look identical.
View attachment 104064
I've watched everything that's out there on this kid and listened to an interview with him, he's a good interview.

If I just saw this kid I would think if he played a sport it's probably rugby or boxing. He doesn't really look like a basketball player to me but he is and he's a very good one. He's really efficient at scoring, nice lefty stroke, good in pick and roll, knows how to navigate the court with a high bball IQ, finishes with tear drop runners and unique finishing around the rim. It's all kind of weird to watch because he just doesn't look like a basketball player to me. He's not at all a run and jump guy, a young lefty Cam Spencer would be the comparison. He's 6'4.5 barefoot 210 lbs. with a 6'6 wingspan.

If we get him I think this takes us out of the running for Mullins which is a bummer for me because I'm a big fan of him and I thought he was coming here. Mullins is really good but this kid might be just as good or possibly even better. My only hesitation with him is his lack of athleticism and pairing him in the same backcourt class with Darius Adams.

Reaction Score
Furphy seemed to come out of nowhere- Great recruiting job to get the OV by Dan and staff. Am not aware of his flexibility re: classification but I wonder if his NIL "ask" is affordable enough to slot him into a second semester 2024 #13 roster position? Don't know if that's been talked about or even of interest to him or the staff if he commits. Sounds like his BBIQ could allow that to be a possibility and get him an early start on SnC/conditioning/practice time with our offensive system.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Furphy seemed to come out of nowhere- Great recruiting job to get the OV by Dan and staff. Am not aware of his flexibility re: classification but I wonder if his NIL "ask" is affordable enough to slot him into a second semester 2024 #13 roster position? Don't know if that's been talked about or even of interest to him or the staff if he commits. Sounds like his BBIQ could allow that to be a possibility and get him an early start on SnC/conditioning/practice time with our offensive system.
I thought international students cannot get NIL?

If we get this kid and miss out on Mullins that’s gonna suck but he is prolly a 3-4 year player

Reaction Score
I saw this kid at Capital Grille Saturday night with his mom, Hurley, Kimani, Mamadou and the video/scout coordinator. Kid appeared to be more 6’6 than 6’5. I spoke with Kimani and Hurley briefly as well as Furphy and his mom. Mom and Furphy appeared to be ecstatic. Judging off of body language, it looked like a done deal.

Reaction Score
I've watched everything that's out there on this kid and listened to an interview with him, he's a good interview.

If I just saw this kid I would think if he played a sport it's probably rugby or boxing. He doesn't really look like a basketball player to me but he is and he's a very good one. He's really efficient at scoring, nice lefty stroke, good in pick and roll, knows how to navigate the court with a high bball IQ, finishes with tear drop runners and unique finishing around the rim. It's all kind of weird to watch because he just doesn't look like a basketball player to me. He's not at all a run and jump guy, a young lefty Cam Spencer would be the comparison. He's 6'4.5 barefoot 210 lbs. with a 6'6 wingspan.
He really is a great interview. Tough, competitor. I'm ecstatic if we get him, and based on his desire to really be pushed I think this is his destination -

Shout out to Aburks41 who has been on his IG fighting Illini fans with "30-0" lol

Reaction Score

If we get him I think this takes us out of the running for Mullins which is a bummer for me because I'm a big fan of him and I thought he was coming here. Mullins is really good but this kid might be just as good or possibly even better. My only hesitation with him is his lack of athleticism and pairing him in the same backcourt class with Darius Adams.
It seems of late that there really are multiple races to commit at various schools and at various positions. The kids that know what they want and where they want to be seem to not be hesitating and are trying to move to the front of the line.

Reaction Score

I don’t watch much nba but when I’ve seen Luca he doesn’t look like an nba player either…he looks like a YMCA player. Not saying this kid will be anywhere near Luca, but looks can be deceiving

Reaction Score

If we get this kid and miss out on Mullins that’s gonna suck but he is prolly a 3-4 year player
I'm not sure how it works but guys like Egor Demin(BYU) and Kasparas Jakucionis(Illinois), two potential lottery picks in the 2025 draft, aren't leaving six figure deals with their Euroleague clubs to come over to the states to play for free

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how it works but guys like Egor Demin(BYU) and Kasparas Jakucionis(Illinois), two potential lottery picks in the 2025 draft, aren't leaving six figure deals with their Euroleague clubs to come over to the states to play for free
Yeah all we need to know as fans is that "it works", but there are a few more logistical hurdles than for Americans.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Pairing up an Australian kid with Mahaney has worked in the past.

awy

Reaction Score
I think they see him and Lewis filling the same kind of role in the offense. this guy's different kind of athleticism enables some of the bootyball plays. gonna be interesting

Reaction Score

I am not a NIL guru but I do know that UConn has had and does have international players (Sanogo comes to mind) where NIL was part of their attraction to UConn- Whether it was offshore arrangements or onshore arrangements to satisfy NCAA disclosure requirements. Plenty of other international players around the country who are high visibility players doing the same with their CBB programs.

I may be wrong and I'm only a casual BY guy- But I never saw it as Furphy or Mullins as the scenario. I saw it as Furphy and Mullins. Think Danny would be ecstatic to have them both in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I am wondering if this is Mullins insurance or him coming aboard is a fully independent move.

Given the athleticism gap it may take him some time to adjust to the US college game, so perhaps he’s seen as bit more of a long term development plan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom