Assistant coach job posting | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Assistant coach job posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With some research, the speculation seems sound:
Tonya Cardoza 14 years as assistant coach at UCONN 1994 - 2008
Temple Owls HC 2008 - 2022 (Tonya replaced Dawn Stanley as H.C.)
NCAA Division I Final Four, 1991 with U of Virginia (Teammate of Dawn S.)
in the Wikipedia article, Jamelle Elliot described Tonya as " My best friend".
Seems like a good match with the job description!
I don’t know WHO Geno will hire. Because of new NCAA rules he’s allowed to hire one more assistant coach. Being a State School, all state jobs have to be posted. Tonya would be a good choice, but there are quite a few good choices out there. Maybe lure Sales from Georgia, or Sue Bird, or Tamaika, or Jen Rizzotti, or someone outside the UCONN family who’s good at developing talent. I guess we’ll know when the decision is made.

Reaction Score
Shesh. Tonya was dismissed from Temple a week ago. Job posting fits Tonya to a T. Mystery solved.

If Tonya is interested, I’m sure she will contact Geno and submit her paperwork, but Geno has a big pool from which to draw upon. So, we’ll see. Maybe he can lure Berube from Princeton or Sales from Georgia, or Tamaika, or maybe Sue Bird is interested or Jen Rizzotti, or someone else. We’ll see when it happens

Reaction Score
Have always liked Cardozo and hopefully she return to the program. Others UConn players have mentioned been Jen, Shea and Carla. We have a young Morgan on the staff. Would she be the next UConn head coach? I don’t think so. Tonya is the best choice here as she was part of a lot of greatness over the years.

Yes others would be worthwhile to explore. I’m bad with names to please help. You have Sherri as mentioned. Both Duke coaches prior to Kara. There are many others but all are still head coaches. Jeff would be an awesome get if it was possible. Geno knows who he wants. This is just procedure. He has his person already.

Now bring back Tina as one of the new rule coaches.
Tonya maybe the best available choice, but others are in the mix or maybe in the mix, as they have to consider all the viable candidates. UCONN is a State School, hence the posting. Names that come to mind are Tonya, Sales, Tamika, Jen Rizzotti, Sue Bird if she desires to get into coaching. Shea is pretty much set at Vanderbilt so she wouldn’t come back unless she was Assoc. Head Coach, Marissa is at Wisconsin but she hasn’t had much luck there. If she steps down as coach, she could also be in the mix, and there’s Carla Berube at Princeton. Plus, a few other ex-Huskies out there and maybe a non-husky or two who has exceptional player development skills. I guess we will see Soon.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I wonder if they have already spoken to Tonya about being an AC again. This time though she wouldn't have to recruit off campus so she would have less traveling. Does anybody know that when it comes to recruiting can she make calls to prospective recruits or is the new AC's only allowed to do specific recruiting only when they are on campus.
Yes they have. She's probably already packed, and ready to move to Storrs or one of its suburbs. If Jemelle can leave and come back, so can Tonya. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What exactly is the point of this exercise you're engaging in? These coaches don't meet the preferred qualifications and they wouldn't be candidates in any event!

Why does every thread on this board eventually turn crazy?
Because of our "diversified" fan base. :cool: But you already knew that.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno should be better than these “job requirements.” There are lots of great coaches out there and Geno could still offer the one he wants. Lots of peeps upset about recent Supreme Court decision on college admissions/affirmative action and here Uconn is doing their best to not have to consider almost the entire potential “assistant coaching” universe. Maybe its apples and oranges but still seems like dirty pool to me.
I agree.
The questions that should be asked are whether there's any difference between coaching in a NCAAT game & a NC game & if the answer is yes then what exactly is the difference?
Inquiring fans would like to know.
Geno can’t just go out and hire whomever he wants when he wants. The State of Connecticut requires that open positions need to be posted for x number of days. Geno wants Tonya so a job description is written that applies specifically to her.

It would be far dirtier to post a generic job description, knowing that there’s only one real candidate in mind.

sun

Reaction Score
Geno can’t just go out and hire whomever he wants, the State of Connecticut requires that open positions need to be posted for x number of days. Geno wants Tonya so a job description is written that applies specifically to her.

It would be far dirtier to post a generic job description, knowing that there’s only one real candidate in mind.
In the past, the US Supreme Court ruled that an employment test must relate to the job requirements.
That ruling indicates that required job qualifications need to somehow be germane to the job.
Or else the requirement is evidence of cronyism & makes a mockery of the state hiring process.
Just because no one complains doesn't mean that the job requirement is ethical.
I'm simply asking the BY how is being an assistant coach for a NC game any different than any other NCAAT game.
I think that many of us would say that it's not significantly any different than coaching any other NCAAT game.
You notice that it doesn't say a FF game, but it needs to be a NC game.
That job requirement should need to be justified & substantiated somehow so there won't be fallout.
Getting away with it in the past for Valley only emboldens the alleged wrongful behavior now.

If Geno actually held interviews, then he should be able to justify why the person was hired.
There shouldn't be a need to seemingly fabricate job requirements in order to be discriminatory.
Then the next thing you know fans will complain about how BB officials discriminate against UConn on the BB court.
It's just a different form of being arbitrary.
CT taxpayers can complain if they think that they see some form of corrupt practices in a state agency.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The HR department vetted this listing and makes the final decision. It's mostly but not entirely up to the folks the candidate will ultimately be working for.

Government hiring can be tricky. Everything is based on the listing. I dunno about Connecticut, but where I work you may need to justify not hiring each qualified candidate you don't hire. If the qualifications aren't specific enough, that may be dozens or hundreds of justifications. The only do-over you get is by cancelling the listing and starting all over again. That may take several months.

I hate to say it, but it's kind of like Clementine (kids' book character). It's not sufficient to choose one, you have to un-choose every other one.
Yes, that is in CT too. Must justify why didn’t hire every applicant who meets minimum qualifications. Lots of red tape in government hiring—it’s both good and bad. That’s why you get job listings like this one.

Reaction Score
Geno can’t just go out and hire whomever he wants, the State of Connecticut requires that open positions need to be posted for x number of days. Geno wants Tonya so a job description is written that applies specifically to her.

On the other hand, Geno also is losing out on others who may be better than Tonya. When you write these kind of job descriptions, you lose out on the “hidden” candidates you don’t know about. You also provide fewer opportunities for people who don’t have the network Tonya does.

sun

Reaction Score
Although quite often some job requirements are totally ignored during the hiring process.
Maybe it's a way to discourage candidates from applying.
Unlike other advertised assistant coaching positions, the job description doesn't even provide a salary range, but only says "salary commensurate with experience" even though the required experience is very specific.
IDK why but I expect better from UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On the other hand, Geno also is losing out on others who may be better than Tonya. When you write these kind of job descriptions, you lose out on the “hidden” candidates you don’t know about. You also provide fewer opportunities for people who don’t have the network Tonya does.
I find it hard to believe that a better option is to take a chance on someone you’ve never worked with, don’t know how they would fit in with the rest of the coaching staff, and don’t know how they could handle what is a high pressure job at UConn.

Reaction Score
I'm simply asking the BY how is being an assistant coach for a NC game any different than any other NCAAT game.
I think that many of us would say that it's not significantly any different than coaching any other NCAAT game.
I think there's something to be said for wanting a coach that has experienced the pressure of multiple NCAA playoff games........it's nothing like a regular season game or even a conference tournament.......

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I don’t know WHO Geno will hire. Because of new NCAA rules he’s allowed to hire one more assistant coach. Being a State School, all state jobs have to be posted. Tonya would be a good choice, but there are quite a few good choices out there. Maybe lure Sales from Georgia, or Sue Bird, or Tamaika, or Jen Rizzotti, or someone outside the UCONN family who’s good at developing talent. I guess we’ll know when the decision is made.
Sue Bird has said many times she has no desire to coach. She is in the management end now. And she is not moving back to Storrs.

Love Jen but no. She did not do well at George Washington.

Doubt Tamika is going to leave her position. Her teams have not made the NCAA as far as I know.

Nakisha has no head coaching experience.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Boy I can see this getting locked up soon, with all of the "lawyers" out there qouting the Supreme Court, the State of Connecticut requirements, even the possiblity of Geno narrowing the requirements just to get the coach that he wants......Well DUH!!!

Reaction Score
He wrote this job description because he already hired Tonya. If he finds another coach he wants to hire, he'll write a job description that fits their resume to a t as well. Are you not understanding that?

Reaction Score
He wrote this job description because he already hired Tonya. If he finds another coach he wants to hire, he'll write a job description that fits their resume to a t as well. Are you not understanding that?
This is not the first time this these posts are made to pinpoint to one person so why would it be questioned as it when Hurley or Mora did it

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In the past, the US Supreme Court ruled that an employment test must relate to the job requirements.
That ruling indicates that required job qualifications need to somehow be germane to the job.
Or else the requirement is evidence of cronyism & makes a mockery of the state hiring process.
That job requirement should need to be justified & substantiated somehow so there won't be fallout.
Getting away with it in the past for Valley only emboldens the alleged wrongful behavior now.

If Geno actually held interviews, then he should be able to justify why the person was hired.
There shouldn't be a need to seemingly fabricate job requirements in order to be discriminatory.
Then the next thing you know fans will complain about how BB officials discriminate against UConn on the BB court.
CT taxpayers can complain if they think that they see some form of corrupt practices in a state agency.
You’re over thinking this. Geno wants Tonya. There’s nothing nefarious going on

@UConnCat ditto on your previous comment

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
So....I did a little bit of research on Wikipedia to see how many folks out there would actually qualify for the position based solely on the three coaching criteria, and I came up with a few names. First, the ones who have the "Preferred Qual" of being a collegiate basketball national champion coach. I sorted them by current Head Coach and then by age:

• Tara Van DerVeer (70 yrs old)
  • Vic Schaffer (62 yrs old)
  • Kim Mulkey (61 yrs)
  • Dawn Staley (53 yrs)
  • Jeff Walz (51 yrs)

• Leon Barmore (79 yrs)
  • Sonja Hogg (77 yrs)
  • Linda Sharp (73 yrs)
  • Marianne Stanley (69 yrs)
  • Muffet McGraw (67 yrs)
  • Lisa Boyer (no age given - estimate 64 yrs)
  • Tonya Cardoza (55 yrs)
  • Nikki Fargas (51 yrs)

Then there are the ones who only possess the "Minimum Quals" of (a) 10 or more years of head coaching experience at a women's D-1 bball program; and (b) coaching experience in multiple NCAA D-1 championship games:
  • C. Vivian Stringer (75 yrs)
  • Andy Landers (70 yrs)
  • Gail Goestenkors (60 yrs)
  • Joanne P. McCallie (57 yrs)
  • Kristy Curry (56 yrs - currently Alabama HC)

There might be more candidates, but I am constrained by the limits of Wikipedia, and pressing honey-do lists! :cool:

Reaction Score

If you don't like his choice, you're welcome to complain. That's all we do.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry that a few BYers see snakes under every overturned rock!
The NCAA has given the WBB and MBB programs the ok to hire an additional Assistant coach.
Geno doesn't like playing games, he's a cut to the chase type of guy!
So why does it surprise you that he and his staff made the job application fit one certain person eligible for the job!
He loves Tonya as a person and as a coach and he feels she'll bring the necessary tools to make his team better!
I give him credit for cutting out the rif raf and getting his obvious choice!
In a week after posting is up and Tonya C is hired the best coaching staff in Division I WBB just got better!

Reaction Score
It could be written to give Muffet a retirement job. I think she may be having money problems :) And you know she and Geno are best friends...
That’s funny…and ridiculous! Lol

Reaction Score
Correct. Unless someone has some inside scoop that Tonya is “The Gold Candidate”, it is likely that a number of applicants will be reviewed. I remember when he hired Marissa. She had no ties to UCONN but DT, Sue, and a couple of other former players who were in the WNBA told Geno that she was a great teacher, and he hired her…and she was. We’ll see what he does and how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom