Assistant coach job posting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Assistant coach job posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I believe the NCAA enacted rules allowing for additional assistant coaches for men's and women's basketball. I'm guessing this is about hiring an addition to the current staff. From the report on changes made by the NCAA's Division I council:

The Council supported an increase of two coaches in men's and women's basketball. These additional coaches may engage in coaching activities but may not recruit off campus.

Here is the posting. It closes July 5th so the person to fill the position is known.

This was also my initial reaction when I read this but decided not to comment on it.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I hate this practice which is also commonly used in the corporate world even if I have been on the receiving end of it. Why pretends to go through EEO rules when you want a specific person and write the resume where only that person qualifies?
You know why......................CYA to prevent civil lawsuits by prospective candidates that were not hired. :mad: This may have happened in the past (which of course was not made public) and is why UConn now posts its job openings in this fashion.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I hate this practice which is also commonly used in the corporate world even if I have been on the receiving end of it. Why pretends to go through EEO rules when you want a specific person and write the resume where only that person qualifies?
State of Connecticut rule

Carnac

Reaction Score
The BY consensus is that it's Tonya Cordoza. Not a bad guess, and one I would not bet against. It didn't take the yard long to figure that one out. :) So............I'm guessing no one here will be surprised when she's announced as the new assistant coach next week. :cool:

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So, let the speculation begin . . . Tonya coming back?

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS

• Bachelor’s degree.
  • Ten or more years of head coaching experience in a women’s collegiate Division I basketball program.
  • Coaching experience in multiple NCAA Division I national championship games.
  • Working knowledge of the correct application of NCAA regulations.
  • Strong commitment to the academic goals of the University.
  • Excellent organizational, teaching, communication, and public relations skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS

• Collegiate basketball national champion coach.
  • Possesses coaching and student-athlete development philosophies consistent with that of the Division of Athletics and its women’s basketball program.
Hmmmm, bummer, this could drop Coach Jumper right out of it.

Reaction Score
The BY consensus is that it's Tonya Cordoza. Not a bad guess, and one I would not bet against. It didn't take the yard long to figure that one out. :)
The post was quite specific so the pool of possible options is very small especially if you go from the UConn family

Reaction Score
It does. A few things at play here. Geno is incredibly loyal. Tonya is a wonderful human being. The guards she coached while a UConn assistant loved her.

I would like the staff to get younger but the reality is that will happen when Geno retires. He's putting the old rock band back together but not giving it a name.
I think he might name it the "Shut the $%#& up and Win Games" band

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I wonder if they have already spoken to Tonya about being an AC again. This time though she wouldn't have to recruit off campus so she would have less traveling. Does anybody know that when it comes to recruiting can she make calls to prospective recruits or is the new AC's only allowed to do specific recruiting only when they are on campus.

Reaction Score
I wonder if they have already spoken to Tonya about being an AC again. This time though she wouldn't have to recruit off campus so she would have less traveling. Does anybody know that when it comes to recruiting can she make calls to prospective recruits or is the new AC's only allowed to do specific recruiting only when they are on campus.
Yes, I believe that she/he can engage in all recruiting activities except going on the road to do so.

Reaction Score
They can definitely make calls to recruits. Shea mentioned that specifically about Katie Lou.

Reaction Score
I don’t want to overlook two other outstanding coaches: Sylvia Hatchell and Jody Conradt also meet the qualifications if A1AW championship games qualify. I wasn’t sure if they did.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don’t want to overlook two other outstanding coaches: Sylvia Hatchell and Jody Conradt also meet the qualifications if A1AW championship games qualify. I wasn’t sure if they did.
What exactly is the point of this exercise you're engaging in? These coaches don't meet the preferred qualifications and they wouldn't be candidates in any event!

Why does every thread on this board eventually turn crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom