Assistant coach job posting | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Assistant coach job posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure the intent is what it says. Geno already knows who he’s hiring. Just like he did with Morgan valley. Worded it just for her too
You may be right but I don't see how she can be groomed to be Geno's replacement.
Perhaps UConn will hire another assistant coach in the near future for that purpose.
I guess that it's just a coincidence that Cardoza's longtime assistant Way Veney, was just named to be the head coach of CCSU WBB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno being fiercely loyal wants to reward all the years of dedicated work Tonya C. put in and since she was let go by Temple wants her to get a significant paycheck for her future!
And adding a great coach and a great person doesn't hurt UCONN either!

Reaction Score
WOW.. Game-Changing Qualifications added...

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS

• Bachelor’s degree.
  • Ten or more years of head coaching experience in a women’s collegiate Division I basketball program.
  • Coaching experience in multiple NCAA Division I national championship games.
  • Working knowledge of the correct application of NCAA regulations.
  • Strong commitment to the academic goals of the University.
  • Excellent organizational, teaching, communication, and public relations skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS

• Collegiate basketball national champion coach.
  • Possesses coaching and student-athlete development philosophies consistent with that of the Division of Athletics and its women’s basketball program.
AMENDMENT :
SUPERSEDING QUALIFICATIONS
● Applicants possessing
BONEYARD login credentials
will be given preferential
consideration in lieu of
previously listed qualifications.

Reaction Score
You may be right but I don't see how she can be groomed to be Geno's replacement.
Perhaps UConn will hire another assistant coach in the near future for that purpose.
I guess that it's just a coincidence that Cardoza's longtime assistant Way Veney, was just named to be the head coach of CCSU WBB.

Ooo… I’m not saying she’s Genos replacement. I don’t think that is the case at all

Reaction Score
Have always liked Cardozo and hopefully she return to the program. Others UConn players have mentioned been Jen, Shea and Carla. We have a young Morgan on the staff. Would she be the next UConn head coach? I don’t think so. Tonya is the best choice here as she was part of a lot of greatness over the years.

Yes others would be worthwhile to explore. I’m bad with names to please help. You have Sherri as mentioned. Both Duke coaches prior to Kara. There are many others but all are still head coaches. Jeff would be an awesome get if it was possible. Geno knows who he wants. This is just procedure. He has his person already.

Now bring back Tina as one of the new rule coaches.

Reaction Score
Don't you all get it guys? The handwriting is on the wall, he's looking to groom his replacement for when he retires.
You might have something there. Considering it's for an assistant, the requirements are ridiculously high. I suspect Geno will stick around for a couple more NCs and 1 more contract (much bigger, thank you Dan Hurly) but no reason to not start lining the ducks up now (especially if a duck is available now).

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The NCAA is allowing two more coaches. Dawn and Tonya are buds from their UVA days. :D

Reaction Score
What exactly is the point of this exercise you're engaging in? These coaches don't meet the preferred qualifications and they wouldn't be candidates in any event!

Why does every thread on this board eventually turn crazy?
The “craziness” occurs because of the highly functioning hyperactive brain cells of the BYrs. Plus, it brings some laughter and smiles to our faces.

Reaction Score
Geno should be better than these “job requirements.” There are lots of great coaches out there and Geno could still offer the one he wants. Lots of peeps upset about recent Supreme Court decision on college admissions/affirmative action and here Uconn is doing their best to not have to consider almost the entire potential “assistant coaching” universe. Maybe its apples and oranges but still seems like dirty pool to me.

sun

Reaction Score
Geno should be better than these “job requirements.”
I agree.
The questions that should be asked are whether there's any difference between coaching in a NCAAT game & a NC game & if the answer is yes then what exactly is the difference?
Inquiring fans would like to know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno should be better than these “job requirements.” There are lots of great coaches out there and Geno could still offer the one he wants. Lots of peeps upset about recent Supreme Court decision on college admissions/affirmative action and here Uconn is doing their best to not have to consider almost the entire potential “assistant coaching” universe. Maybe its apples and oranges but still seems like dirty pool to me.
It is :)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The HR department vetted this listing and makes the final decision. It's mostly but not entirely up to the folks the candidate will ultimately be working for.

Government hiring can be tricky. Everything is based on the listing. I dunno about Connecticut, but where I work you may need to justify not hiring each qualified candidate you don't hire. If the qualifications aren't specific enough, that may be dozens or hundreds of justifications. The only do-over you get is by cancelling the listing and starting all over again. That may take several months.

I hate to say it, but it's kind of like Clementine (kids' book character). It's not sufficient to choose one, you have to un-choose every other one.

Reaction Score
The HR department vetted this listing and makes the final decision. It's mostly but not entirely up to the folks the candidate will ultimately be working for.

Government hiring can be tricky. Everything is based on the listing. I dunno about Connecticut, but where I work you may need to justify not hiring each qualified candidate you don't hire. If the qualifications aren't specific enough, that may be dozens or hundreds of justifications. The only do-over you get is by cancelling the listing and starting all over again. That may take several months.

I hate to say it, but it's kind of like Clementine (kids' book character). It's not sufficient to choose one, you have to un-choose every other one.
What did Shakespeare say about the lawyers?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The post was quite specific so the pool of possible options is very small especially if you go from the UConn family
This was "low-hanging fruit.". Our very astute "blood-hounds" sniffed this one out immediately. The exact thing happened when they hired Morgan Valley. :cool:

Reaction Score
Hopefully this means one of the current assistants is "moving on up"...
The three assistants from last year are still on the Coaches roster as of today, so...
It may be an Addition, as the NCAA approved additional assistant coaches for both men & women’s basketball teams. Hopefully, that’s why it’s being posted….and knowing that, I’m sure Geno already knows who he wants, but because it’s a State job it has to be posted and applicants have to be considered/reviewed and some interviews have to take place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom