Article: Tremont Waters Prepares For Next Move | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Article: Tremont Waters Prepares For Next Move

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
You and Towney took the words right off my keypad. Add the need to list Duke and UK and honestly this kid scares me. But he's really good.

Yes, it comes down to whether he has the confidence and determination to make his spot in a way that helps the team be its best. If he comes to UConn, he will have to show he belongs and that he can "play nicely with others." He may be a great teammate, but he could also be a problem if he comes in thinking he is entitled to being "the guy" by just showing up.

Every player is certainly "entitled" to find the best spot to show off their abilities and give them the best opportunity for the future. If he comes to UConn, he could be another great one in a long line of great PG's, but bottom line he will have to share the ball with Jalen and Alterique and know when to defer.

Reaction Score
It's funny that the article doesn't mention Dre as CT players in the NBA. The dude is an all star center.
Because he's from Mount Vernon. The article was referencing CT born and bred players, not just guys who played high school in CT.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It's not like the team wasn't successful either, losing in the championship game. Kentucky and Syracuse are proud of years like that.

Yeah, but did his high school team win a Helms Trophy? Because THAT would be really successful...:eek:

Reaction Score
You guys are twisting things wildly.

Notre Dame has been mediocre until Tremont got there. They beat top ranked teams nationally. They were the best team in the state this year. The inexplicable 2nd round loss was disappointing. But they did have the best season in ND history. Waters did have a very good season.

As for his comment about being the lead guard, he's an excellent player. Of course he wants to play somewhere where he is the lead guard.

Reaction Score
I don't get him, it seems like he's still waiting for an offfer from certain programs that ultimately won't come.

It's late in recruiting to play games.

Reaction Score
Market me ...

In the last half dozen years, there are basically two guards that rose to BRAND name in CBB. TWO. And maybe you can throw in a dozen other names as near. But ONLY Shabazz and Kemba rose to the big name. And that is from their excellence on the court and the National Championship leader. Same school

Reaction Score
This circus seems a lot like Vance Jackson and his daddy 2.0....

But don't get me wrong...I still want him and his daddy in UCONN jerseys.

Reaction Score
I don't get him, it seems like he's still waiting for an offfer from certain programs that ultimately won't come.

It's late in recruiting to play games.

He has multiple opportunities. A lot of programs are looking for guards. He is not desperate by any means, and he is a very good player. UConn fans should chill on the idea that he is some sort of default because he is otherwise unwanted. It is not true. He is interested in UConn. He has other options.

Reaction Score
The fact he has decided yet plus his comments about running the show and his personal awards are all red flags.

I don't know how this will turn out. No one does. But I believe, if Geno were the head coach, he would not be recruiting this kid. Take that how you want.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that doesn't have an issue with him saying he wants a program to let him run the show? He's a point guard, and we are a guard oriented offense where guards in the past (Kemba, Bazz, Boat, Jalen, etc) have ran the show.

Also later in that same exact quote he says "and let me show the world what I can do and also make my teammates better." That's exactly what a great guard should do, run the show while making everyone around him better.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
"Let me run the show"

All you need to know. Pass.
Give me cocktail players all day long. You don't think KEA, Kemba etc. had this attitude? Self-confidence is what makes players great.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Who do you want running the team - AG or Waters - only room for one to be happy

Reaction Score
And, also, he's good enough to run the team

Goid enough to get us where? I could be wrong but when have we had a freshman good enough to lead us to where we think we should be? KEA. I think he like others will find that the competition is much better then they ever experienced. And those who th3ink he's good enough now to "lead us" will be frustrated when he his playing like most freshmen who don't go to Kentucky or Duke.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The kid is insanely talented. Love his handle and his bravado on the court.
His bravado off the court though, might be an issue. Or might not.
He wants a school to market him. The marketing comes with winning. It's much easier to market you if you're the driving force on a championship (or at least championship calibre) team.
He SAYS you have to stay humble, but does he? Talking about all the awards he won while not winning a championship doesn't strike me as humble. I remember two of our recent point guards saying the personal accolades and awards are meaningless without the national championship, then going out and winning the damned thing.
If we do manage to get him, the 'yard can have a pool on which announcer will be the first to use the term "Lilliputian backcourt" to describe him and Alterique.

Reaction Score
Who do you want running the team - AG or Waters - only room for one to be happy
What? Both, why is there all of a sudden room for only one? Worked out amazingly well with Bazz and Boat. When our team is great it is always run with 2 starting point guards. Unfortunately we also can't be positive Alterique's shoulder will hold up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He has multiple opportunities. A lot of programs are looking for guards. He is not desperate by any means, and he is a very good player. UConn fans should chill on the idea that he is some sort of default because he is otherwise unwanted. It is not true. He is interested in UConn. He has other options.

up you had to have gone to ND-West Haven because not recognizing the facts has to point to blinders?

Having said that we would all welcome the kid in a second.

Reaction Score
What? Both, why is there all of a sudden only room for only one? Worked out amazingly well with Bazz and Boat. When our team is great it is always run with 2 starting point guards. Unfortunately we also can't be positive Alterique's shoulder will hold up.
I don't care enough to go back and look, but I'm positive there would at least 100 posts from this past season where people talked about the need for a 2nd ball handler on the court. It's not hard to envision a scenario where Gilbert and Waters are both able to run the offense

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You and others repeating this nonsense are insane. He's a top 40 player playing a postion where you are responsible for running the team. Of course he wants to run the team, there would be something wrong with him if he didn't.
Wanting to is certainly one essential part. By my observation, verbally demanding it beforehand as part of the terms under which you are willing to play, on a team where at least two other guys are already there and want the same thing, is not.

Talented kid for sure though, and don't mean to parse every word, but at some point a combination of words and conduct does start to paint a picture. Not saying the picture is complete by any means but my Spidey sense is starting to see one develop and I will be far from heartbroken if we never get to see how it would have worked out here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom