Article on Candace Parker and not playing for USA again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Article on Candace Parker and not playing for USA again

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Very similar to DT. Neither player is shy or afraid to stick up for themselves. Both command a lot of respect. One of the reasons they are so beloved by their alma mater and hated by their rivals.

guiness.gif

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Loyalty—as she noted, she sacrificed a lot of time with her daughter for USA basketball over the years. Not to mention being a major face in promos and other facets. She had been regularly involved with USA basketball since 2003 or 2004.

I think it’s strikingly clear that the reason Candace was left off was political. She didn’t get along with Geno. Maybe she had beef with others at USA basketball so she didn’t get a spot. Maybe she did something horrible we don’t know about. But toughness, loyalty, flexibility, and most of all, ability, were not reasons to exclude Candace.

it's Dawn's team now.............if CP wanted to play she should have hashed it out with the new coach..............I'm pretty sure Dawn would have given her a fair hearing........

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
S

She still would have gotten the invite.

I for one stated then that I thought she should have been on the team. Nevertheless, she'd have had a tough time making the 2020 team anyway, since the 3 and 4 are loaded and she balked at playing the 5 in 2016. Basketball life goes on. I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if DT was left off of the 2020 team.

Regardless, it’s a non issue. I don’t think anyone made a fuss about it. Nor is anyone blaming Geno so I’m not sure why that was mentioned in the first place.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Have to realize she wasn't competing against Delle Donna and Stewart. She was competing against Fowles, Griner and Charles. And she didn't like that anyway.

And then there was all the other off court stuff.

Posters speak about Delle Donne/Stewie/Fowles/Griner/Charles
as perhaps more suitable in their respective positions...

Even if you accept that argument (and I don't); there are also the spots held by Tamika and Angel that Parker surely could have more than adequately filled.

Was not Tamika picked as a payoff for her loyalty to the program and past excellence and did not Angel have a few personality issues of her own.

The omission of Candice never made much sense and the passage of time has hardly dissipated the odor.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
it's Dawn's team now...if CP wanted to play she should have hashed it out with the new coach....I'm pretty sure Dawn would have given her a fair hearing...

She didn’t want to play though. Totally understand Candace not wanting to try out after getting snubbed in 2016.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Regardless, it’s a non issue. I don’t think anyone made a fuss about it. Nor is anyone blaming Geno so I’m not sure why that was mentioned in the first place.
You brought it up pal.

Reaction Score
it's Dawn's team now...if CP wanted to play she should have hashed it out with the new coach....I'm pretty sure Dawn would have given her a fair hearing...
Dawn was around in 2016, I think Dawn was probably onboard with leaving CP off the team. CP knows that Dawn would be taking over the WNT after the 2016 Olympics. CP I'm sure realized she would need a "hearing" to be considered for 2020 and considering she states now she felt disrespected, I don't think CP was willing to do that.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
You brought it up pal.

Your post was, “I guess her not getting an invite so far for 2020 must still be Geno's fault.”

No one else mentioned her not getting an invite for 2020, nor anything about Geno in relation to that.

Reaction Score
Parker can play wing or power forward...I don't think it's really fair to compare her to Griner or Fowles, as she hasn't really been a true center for a long time, including her college years. It's fair to compare her to EDD and Stewart and Charles.
I think she's tougher than EDD and a little more consistent shooter from 3. I don't think she has the power game EDD can show, but Parker is capable of that.
Compare her to Charles, and I think she has a more polished offensive game than her, including consistent 3 point shooting. Charles may have the better post up game, but Parker can get to the rim.
Compare her to Stewart, and I think her maturity and experience should count for something. Although, I will admit that in the long run, Stewart will probably be just as good as Parker, I don't think she's there yet. Parker has a better post game than Stewart, also, though many on this board may disagree.
Defensively, I think all four players are pretty equal. All can block shots and guard.
I think Parker is undoubtedly the best passer of all of these players. Just look at her assist numbers over the past two years (granted, Nneka had an amazing 2016).
With that said, I find it very surprising Parker was left out, and I find it surprising Stewart was included. There's not doubt Stewart is a great player--but so is Candace, with similar skills, more experience, and just as good of a defensive player, with the added bonus of being an elite passer.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think it’s strikingly clear that the reason Candace was left off was political. She didn’t get along with Geno. Maybe she had beef with others at USA basketball so she didn’t get a spot. Maybe she did something horrible we don’t know about. But toughness, loyalty, flexibility, and most of all, ability, were not reasons to exclude Candace.
No it's not strikingly clear that she was left off the team because of politics, nor is it strikingly clear she was left off because of her lack of commitment to Team USA, and other players on the team who did not appreciate her lack of commitment or attitude (and basically didn't want her). It's all guesses (unless someone can find a person of interest willing to go on record and say what the truth is)...

All we know for sure is that the COMMITTEE felt there were better options/team players at the 4 and 5 spots.

Reaction Score
Parker should have been on the team in 2016. I don't think the public will ever know the real reason but think it was just a combination of factors. I said at the time that Fowles and McCoughtry should have stayed home and Candace plus a young guard should have been included.

The US national team has an abundance of talent to pick from and there will inevitably be players who get left off. We could probably pick the next dozen players in the country and still win a medal.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No .... USAB told her she could spin the reason why she wasn't on the team anyway she wanted that USAB was not going to comment in any way on reasons. USAB has kept their word.

Candace instead planted anonymous comments thru third parties like Michelle Voepel and Maria Cornelius.
IMO she was left off the team for valid, non-political reasons.
Then why the need to "spin" anything?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Have to realize she wasn't competing against Delle Donna and Stewart. She was competing against Fowles, Griner and Charles. And she didn't like that anyway.
And then there was all the other off court stuff.
What "other off the court stuff"?

Reaction Score
She didn’t want to play though. Totally understand Candace not wanting to try out after getting snubbed in 2016.

that's certainly her choice and I understand her disappointment but she really shouldn't complain about the next Olympic team if she wasn't willing to talk it out with the powers that be.........

Reaction Score
Really nice article. Maybe this is the kind of human interest story that EDD was talking about on ESPN ;) (honestly, I would love to read/see more stories about things like this!) Players such as Candace or LeBron used to annoy the "old me" because they were so good, but played for teams that I despised. And now with a little wisdom, I've come to realize that I am in no position to judge them or resent them (especially when my opinion is based on the 30 minutes of basketball I see on TV :p ). I remember watching the video "From Somewhere: Diana Taurasi" and thinking that a lot more people would fall in love with Diana the person if they watched this!

(Edit: I now appreciate Candance and Lebron and have even found myself defending them at times! :D)

But in terms of the whole Olympic snub, I can empathize with Candance (well, in my non-Olympic life sort of way haha). As others have mentioned before, her talent is undeniable. And we can only speculate that chemistry played some role in the decision. Ask anyone who has ever coached or played on a team: at a certain point, when the talent is pretty equally matched, the final decision is determined by factors unrelated to skill. Nevertheless, I thank Candance for her dedication to the sport and to team USA :)

ps. this is not directed toward Candance personally, but in general, I hope everyone can just move on. A favorite quotation of mine is: "Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die".

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No .... USAB told her she could spin the reason why she wasn't on the team anyway she wanted that USAB was not going to comment in any way on reasons. USAB has kept their word.

Candace instead planted anonymous comments thru third parties like Michelle Voepel and Maria Cornelius.
IMO she was left off the team for valid, non-political reasons.
Then why the need to "spin" anything?

let me clarify: either Voepel or Cornelius (I think it was Voepel) reported [and this is a paraphrase] that CP was told by USAB that they would not comment on why CP was left off the team so if she wanted to say it was her choice or injury or whatever that they would not comment further. The italicized portion is another way of saying "spin". Maybe I should just said that but I thought "spin" was succint and just as accurate.

The only way we know anything about this is by way of one of these two sportswriters. The source was not named. But it had to come from either USAB or CP . I doubt the writer got it from USAB. My guess is CP.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“I felt disrespected,” she says. She says it’s no secret she isn’t best friends with former USA coach Geno Auriemma (he’s UConn; she’s Tennessee). “In a sense, I’ve always been different.”"

Um Candace? Geno's not the USA WBB coach anymore, so if that was actually the issue. You should be good to go now.

You're welcome.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A rapport between player and coach is desireable and all the more desireable when what is at stake is Olympic gold. There were rumblings in the prior Olympics of a less than great relationship between Parker and Geno. It suits some to see Geno as the behind the scenes manipulator who submarined Parker. Of course the selection committee sought the opinions of the coaches. If Geno mentioned the coachability/rapport factor to the committee it might well have been a significant factor for them. Parker chooses to hang onto it like its a favorite chew toy; a testament to her prima donna mind set.

This has been discussed ad nausem and look who keeps bringing it up - Parker.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Loyalty—as she noted, she sacrificed a lot of time with her daughter for USA basketball over the years. Not to mention being a major face in promos and other facets. She had been regularly involved with USA basketball since 2003 or 2004.
She was granted the opportunity and honor of representing her country in exchange for the fame, fortune and gratitude of a nation. It was her personal choice to pursue these goals and rewards in what you define as "sacrifice". All these amazing women sacrifice something to pursue these same goals - she is not "special" in this regard, nor was she paying it forward.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
The US national team has an abundance of talent to pick from and there will inevitably be players who get left off. We could probably pick the next dozen players in the country and still win a medal.

Agreed. Their 2nd crew of 12 very likely wins gold. Same with their third crew. The talent disparity between the US and the rest of the world is quite significant.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
that's certainly her choice and I understand her disappointment but she really shouldn't complain about the next Olympic team if she wasn't willing to talk it out with the powers that be....

...when has she complained about 2020?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
A rapport between player and coach is desireable and all the more desireable when what is at stake is Olympic gold. There were rumblings in the prior Olympics of a less than great relationship between Parker and Geno. It suits some to see Geno as the behind the scenes manipulator who submarined Parker. Of course the selection committee sought the opinions of the coaches. If Geno mentioned the coachability/rapport factor to the committee it might well have been a significant factor for them. Parker chooses to hang onto it like its a favorite chew toy; a testament to her prima donna mind set.

This has been discussed ad nausem and look who keeps bringing it up - Parker.

Read the article. It's one small section of it. I'm guessing the reporter asked her about it too and her plans in the future, so naturally it would come up.

Reaction Score

She refused to play the 5 and couldn't beat out those at the 3. And anyone saying it was a UConn-Tenn thing has to explain Catchings.

No Fuss? - Were you in a coma?

No one blames Geno? The first thing Parker did after she was cut was to post the video of her dunking at UConn in 06 or 07, a blatant suggestion that Geno was paying her back for something a decade old. That response would have been classless if a 12 year old did it. For a player of her age and caliber it was petulant and said a lot to me about her character. It would be like saying that Pat picked lesbians over heterosexual players when she coached the team.

Reaction Score

Flexibility-kind of goes with loyalty. As mentioned, she has been consistently involved with USA basketball since a teenager. Also in regards to flexibility on the court, she’s the most skilled all around player on the roster. Exceptional passer, ball handler, finisher, can put the ball on the floor and shoots a good percentage from the perimeter. Good rebounder and shot blocker.

Toughness-played through 2 shoulder injuries to help lead Tennessee to a title in 2008. Has consistently put up huge numbers in important playoff games all throughout her career. Has hit numerous clutch shots and game winners her entire career.

Of those 4 players, Parker is the first one I’d take. No one has the unique skill set she does. Stewart in many ways is like a younger Parker and has a ton of upside, so she’d be my second choice. Then Charles, and dump Delle Donne. Elena is seemingly always injured or sitting out for one various reason or another. She’s far from a player I’d consider tough. Her commitment level has been regularly questioned throughout the years. She has never played year round and has never played with much passion. You don’t see that same drive in her to be great even though she’s as skilled as anyone. You also don’t need a world class shooter at the 4 when you have Bird and Taurasi in the backcourt. In regards to flexibility, Elena has threatened to sit out if she wasn’t traded to a specific team. Same with Fowles and Charles. Parker never has.

You had me until the last paragraph. I do not think it was Geno’s call.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom