Article on Candace Parker and not playing for USA again | The Boneyard

Article on Candace Parker and not playing for USA again

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Put Some Respect on Candace Parker's Name

"Parker was notoriously left off USA’s 2016 Olympic Team, which featured younger players like Elena Delle Donne and Breanna Stewart. “They told me I wasn’t a top player at my position,” Parker says. Last March, it was unclear if the snub would affect her plans for 2020 (“I don’t know,” she told reporters). But now she reveals that she’ll never play for USA again. “I felt disrespected,” she says. She says it’s no secret she isn’t best friends with former USA coach Geno Auriemma (he’s UConn; she’s Tennessee). “In a sense, I’ve always been different.”"

Reaction Score
I've always liked her game. This was a good read. I like how she said that USAB told her she can say "she's taking a break from US basketball" and she declined doing that. She should have been on that team, but it didn't matter

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
hXZtdxw.png

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

"Parker was notoriously left off USA’s 2016 Olympic Team, which featured younger players like Elena Delle Donne and Breanna Stewart. “They told me I wasn’t a top player at my position,” Parker says. Last March, it was unclear if the snub would affect her plans for 2020 (“I don’t know,” she told reporters). But now she reveals that she’ll never play for USA again. “I felt disrespected,” she says. She says it’s no secret she isn’t best friends with former USA coach Geno Auriemma (he’s UConn; she’s Tennessee). “In a sense, I’ve always been different.”"
Pretty sure that has/had nothing to do with it.

Reaction Score

Yup, you're "different" from Tamika Catchings, who DID make that 2016 team ("he's UConn; she's Tennessee" applies there too, so that's not the common denominator. Hmmmmmm....)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not a top player at her position:eek:
Your talking a first ballot Hall Of Fame player, ROY, 2X MVP. And many other accolades.
Have to realize she wasn't competing against Delle Donna and Stewart. She was competing against Fowles, Griner and Charles. And she didn't like that anyway.

And then there was all the other off court stuff.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can understand Candace being disrespected. But Team USA is looking for loyalty, flexibility, and toughness, perhaps even more than ability. Candace is a finesse player who doesn't like physical contact, so she often plays "small." I think it's a legitimate question: If you have to take 3 of Charles, Parker, Delle Donne, and Stewart, whom do you take? Tina is strong and can play the 4 and 5; Elena is a world-class shooter; and Stewie is more versatile and a better shooter, as well as the future of Team USA. By a narrow margin, Candace finishes 4th.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not a top player at her position:eek:
Your talking a first ballot Hall Of Fame player, ROY, 2X MVP. And many other accolades.
Yeah, but the competition is insane at her position--with others who have/will have the same accolades.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I've always liked her game. This was a good read. I like how she said that USAB told her she can say "she's taking a break from US basketball" and she declined doing that. She should have been on that team, but it didn't matter

I like how after they offered her a convenient excuse to say it was her decision, she basically told them to screw off. Good for her.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Have to realize she wasn't competing against Delle Donna and Stewart. She was competing against Fowles, Griner and Charles. And she didn't like that anyway.

And then there was all the other off court stuff.
Well Griner is real good inside. She can't do some of the things Parker can do from the perimeter.

Reaction Score
There were so many good players to choose from and only so many spots. There was bound to be a hall-of-fame caliber player that didn't get the call, this time it was Parker. The team won the gold medal, that's the most important thing.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I can understand Candace being disrespected. But Team USA is looking for loyalty, flexibility, and toughness, perhaps even more than ability. Candace is a finesse player who doesn't like physical contact, so she often plays "small." I think it's a legitimate question: If you have to take 3 of Charles, Parker, Delle Donne, and Stewart, whom do you take? Tina is strong and can play the 4 and 5; Elena is a world-class shooter; and Stewie is more versatile and a better shooter, as well as the future of Team USA. By a narrow margin, Candace finishes 4th.

Loyalty—as she noted, she sacrificed a lot of time with her daughter for USA basketball over the years. Not to mention being a major face in promos and other facets. She had been regularly involved with USA basketball since 2003 or 2004.

Flexibility-kind of goes with loyalty. As mentioned, she has been consistently involved with USA basketball since a teenager. Also in regards to flexibility on the court, she’s the most skilled all around player on the roster. Exceptional passer, ball handler, finisher, can put the ball on the floor and shoots a good percentage from the perimeter. Good rebounder and shot blocker.

Toughness-played through 2 shoulder injuries to help lead Tennessee to a title in 2008. Has consistently put up huge numbers in important playoff games all throughout her career. Has hit numerous clutch shots and game winners her entire career.

Of those 4 players, Parker is the first one I’d take. No one has the unique skill set she does. Stewart in many ways is like a younger Parker and has a ton of upside, so she’d be my second choice. Then Charles, and dump Delle Donne. Elena is seemingly always injured or sitting out for one various reason or another. She’s far from a player I’d consider tough. Her commitment level has been regularly questioned throughout the years. She has never played year round and has never played with much passion. You don’t see that same drive in her to be great even though she’s as skilled as anyone. You also don’t need a world class shooter at the 4 when you have Bird and Taurasi in the backcourt. In regards to flexibility, Elena has threatened to sit out if she wasn’t traded to a specific team. Same with Fowles and Charles. Parker never has.

I think it’s strikingly clear that the reason Candace was left off was political. She didn’t get along with Geno. Maybe she had beef with others at USA basketball so she didn’t get a spot. Maybe she did something horrible we don’t know about. But toughness, loyalty, flexibility, and most of all, ability, were not reasons to exclude Candace.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I guess her not getting an invite so far for 2020 must still be Geno's fault.

She’s publicly stated she isn’t considering playing for USA basketball again. That’s why no one has made anything of it.

Reaction Score
I like how after they offered her a convenient excuse to say it was her decision, she basically told them to screw off. Good for her.
No .... USAB told her she could spin the reason why she wasn't on the team anyway she wanted that USAB was not going to comment in any way on reasons. USAB has kept their word.

Candace instead planted anonymous comments thru third parties like Michelle Voepel and Maria Cornelius.
IMO she was left off the team for valid, non-political reasons.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
S
She’s publicly stated she isn’t considering playing for USA basketball again. That’s why no one has made anything of it.
She still would have gotten the invite.

I for one stated then that I thought she should have been on the team. Nevertheless, she'd have had a tough time making the 2020 team anyway, since the 3 and 4 are loaded and she balked at playing the 5 in 2016. Basketball life goes on. I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if DT was left off of the 2020 team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom