Article on Candace Parker and not playing for USA again | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Article on Candace Parker and not playing for USA again

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well what you saw was distinctly different from what EDD felt and I tend to trust her feeling in this case.
“They’re looking for players who are truly passionate about this team, I realized. Yet there’s a little voice in my head saying that that’s not me. ...UConn, when the Huskies captain had told us to play with passion, and I realized I’d had none of it.”

Big fan of how instead of engaging with what I wrote, you just quoted the same lines that bballnut90 did.

She said she wasn't passionate about the Sky. That's different from bballnut90's statement that she "never played with much passion". The second part of that quote is her realizing she had no passion when she was at UConn.

And anyway someone needs to tell me how it matters whether she has passion or not. If you think she has no passion, well, she won an MVP playing with no passion so what does it matter. And if you want to talk about "fully committed," we've already discussed how Parker has not always made herself available to USAB. To my knowledge, EDD has.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Big fan of how instead of engaging with what I wrote, you just quoted the same lines that bballnut90 did.

She said she wasn't passionate about the Sky. That's different from bballnut90's statement that she "never played with much passion". The second part of that quote is her realizing she had no passion when she was at UConn.

And anyway someone needs to tell me how it matters whether she has passion or not. If you think she has no passion, well, she won an MVP playing with no passion so what does it matter. And if you want to talk about "fully committed," we've already discussed how Parker has not always made herself available to USAB. To my knowledge, EDD has.
Uhm.. EDD reference her time at UCONN and not having any passion then either.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Uhm.. EDD reference her time at UCONN and not having any passion then either.

Ok, your not even reading my posts before hitting the reply button now because I mention that in my post. Like, read just one sentence more before following your natural instinct to be contradictory.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I know she wasn't passionate about the Sky but that's different from not playing with passion. Obviously, I can't speak to how she felt about her time in Chicago. But I know what I saw and what I saw was Elena playing incredibly hard.

If getting a Sky team that had been a lottery team before her arrival to the WNBA finals and following that up with an MVP season was how she plays when she is not passionate, I don't really care if she has passion or not, you know? I saw her out there carrying the offense and then getting back to block shots on defense. I saw her get fired up after making big plays. I don't know about how she felt deep down but does it really matter?

She's a great player, no question about that. But when you're building a team, I'd rather bring someone on who has a lot of passion for the game and has shown commitment and dedication rather than a player with a history of getting burnt out and who hasn't always prioritized basketball. EDD only plays in the summers and recently threatened to sit out an entire season (which would mean she'd have a full year and a half off from competitive basketball) if she wasn't traded to 1 specific team. In college she elected to play for a small mid major to stay close to home rather than attend a high profile school with better resources and coaching. I'm not criticizing her for her decisions, I genuinely think it's great that she has a full life outside of basketball and does seem to have a great head on shoulders, but if I'm building the Olympic team and trying to put together the best team in the world and maximize their potential, I'd rather pick someone whose heart bleeds basketball and who is 100% dedicated to the sport and becoming the best player they can be.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She's a great player, no question about that. But when you're building a team, I'd rather bring someone on who has a lot of passion for the game and has shown commitment and dedication rather than a player with a history of getting burnt out and who hasn't always prioritized basketball. EDD only plays in the summers and recently threatened to sit out an entire season (which would mean she'd have a full year and a half off from competitive basketball) if she wasn't traded to 1 specific team. In college she elected to play for a small mid major to stay close to home rather than attend a high profile school with better resources at coaching. I'm not criticizing her for her decisions, I genuinely think it's great that she has a full life outside of basketball and does seem to have a great head on shoulders, but if I'm building the Olympic team and trying to put together the best team in the world and maximize their potential, I'm not sure a player like that makes the cut if I'm coaching.
Yet another example of lack of full commitment to basketball (passion?) is EDD not playing basketball overseas during the WNBA off season prior to the 2016 Olympics.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not trying to get in the middle of an EDD vs. Parker discussion but a few things to point out...

Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi and is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected blacklegged ticks. Typical symptoms include fever, headache, fatigue, and a characteristic skin rash called erythema migrans. If left untreated, infection can spread to joints, the heart, and the nervous system.

I am not trying to discuss the minutia of Elena's disease, or the lack of passion she has had for basketball at different times in her life, but in comparing EDD to Parker, it should be limited to talk of USA Basketball (in fairness to both players). EDD felt lack of passion for hoops during her last years of HS and it carried over to UCONN. She came one day, quit, enrolled in Delaware, and did not play hoops for over a year - played volleyball instead.

Fast forward to the WNBA. No idea how much EDD's disease has impacted her career in the W. They don't pay well, and even all time greats like Dee have taken an entire year off to rest up and be healthy for other obligations (Dee was famously paid at least her WNBA salary by her Russian team to sit out a season and rest up). But neither Dee nor EDD have ever been questioned when it came to their loyalty, love for, and dedication to, USA Basketball.

Dee's decision to sit out a season had zero impact on her "passion, loyalty, and dedication" to Team USA. Neither does EDD's relationship with Chicago, or any other WNBA team (or college team for that matter) impact her relationship with Team USA. The issue is not whether Parker lacks passion for the game, or is capable of playing with passion, but whether she's been unselfish and dedicated to USA Basketball. The answer seems pretty much to be a resounding "NO", and she just made it worse since 2016... That seems to be untrue when applied to Delle Donne.

I hope people aren't really suggesting that Elena Delle Donne is unworthy to be a part of USA Basketball. If they are, I'd love to see some substantiation regarding Team USA...

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Not trying to get in the middle of an EDD vs. Parker discussion but a few things to point out...

Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi and is transmitted to humans through the bite of infected blacklegged ticks. Typical symptoms include fever, headache, fatigue, and a characteristic skin rash called erythema migrans. If left untreated, infection can spread to joints, the heart, and the nervous system.

I am not trying to discuss the minutia of Elena's disease, or the lack of passion she has had for basketball at different times in her life, but in comparing EDD to Parker, it should be limited to talk of USA Basketball (in fairness to both players). EDD felt lack of passion for hoops during her last years of HS and it carried over to UCONN. She came one day, quit, enrolled in Delaware, and did not play hoops for over a year - played volleyball instead.

Fast forward to the WNBA. No idea how much EDD's disease has impacted her career in the W. They don't pay well, and even all time greats like Dee have taken an entire year off to rest up and be healthy for other obligations (Dee was famously paid at least her WNBA salary by her Russian team to sit out a season and rest up). But neither Dee nor EDD have ever been questioned when it came to their loyalty, love for, and dedication to, USA Basketball.

Dee's decision to sit out a season had zero impact on her "passion, loyalty, and dedication" to Team USA. Neither does EDD's relationship with Chicago, or any other WNBA team (or college team for that matter) impact her relationship with Team USA. The issue is not whether Parker lacks passion for the game, or is capable of playing with passion, but whether she's been unselfish and dedicated to USA Basketball. The answer seems pretty much to be a resounding "NO", and she just made it worse since 2016... That seems to be untrue when applied to Delle Donne.

I hope people aren't really suggesting that Elena Delle Donne is unworthy to be a part of USA Basketball.

Here's a summary of Parker's experience with USA basketball:
2003 Youth Development Festival Team
2004 USA Junior World Championship Qualifying Team
2006 Opals World Challenge
2006 FIBA World Championships
2007 FIBA Americas Championships
2008 FIBA Diamond Ball Tournament
2008 Olympics
2012 Olympics
2013 USA National Team Training Camp

Here's EDD's summary:
2011 World University Games
2013 National Team Training Camp
2015 European Tour
2016 Olympics

You make the call for who has been more dedicated.

FWIW, back in 2007 EDD was withdrew from U18 trials due to personal reasons. If Parker missing one tournament in 2014 to have surgery means she's selfish and not dedicated to USA basketball after being an active member for 13 years, then I'm not sure how you can say EDD has shown more dedication when she has such a limited history on the roster.

And in regards to players like Angel/Parker/DT sitting out for stretches in the WNBA season...all of those players play overseas and make big money over there. They sat out to rest after playing year round basketball for years and years. EDD was planning to sit out a full year and a half from any competitive basketball if she wasn't traded. That to me shows a different level of dedication from the players listed above. I know you're mainly concerned about dedication to USA basketball, but I do think that's worth noting.

Reaction Score
Not to pop in on the ongoing EDD discussion, but on another thing I've noticed throughout many sports: There's a lot of people out there that think when it comes to the Olympics - though this can be said about any major competition, like the World Cup for football fans and the IIHF World Championships for hockey fans - that the BEST players should be assembled and be FORCED to play together to form a cohesive team. It's all about finding the best players who fit the system, who can play together to form a cohesive team. Parker clearly wasn't a right fit for the system. The committee could see that. The vast majority of us can see that.

It pains me to be frank here, because I am a fan of Candace and I always have been... but the fact that we're still having this conversation two years later feels pretty indicative of why she didn't make the team to begin with.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You make the call for who has been more dedicated.

FWIW, back in 2007 EDD was withdrew from U18 trials due to personal reasons. If Parker missing one tournament in 2014 to have surgery means she's selfish and not dedicated to USA basketball after being an active member for 13 years, then I'm not sure how you can say EDD has shown more dedication when she has such a limited history on the roster.

And in regards to players like Angel/Parker/DT sitting out for stretches in the WNBA season...all of those players play overseas and make big money over there. They sat out to rest after playing year round basketball for years and years. EDD was planning to sit out a full year and a half from any competitive basketball if she wasn't traded. That to me shows a different level of dedication from the players listed above. I know you're mainly concerned about dedication to USA basketball, but I do think that's worth noting.
It seems like you are arguing Parker is somehow "owed" something. I don't recall EDD ever NOT making a USA National Team she tried out for, nor did she post petty tweets after not making a team, nor did she avoid taking any personal responsibility for her actions, nor did she permanently remove herself from Team USA. EDD came back when she was ready, earned her spot, and did it all without whining or making a big fuss. By all accounts she has a great relationship with US Basketball and all her USA teammates.

Parker's issues are all self inflicted, and her attitude subsequently has removed her from Team USA forever. No one else in the history of Team USA has had the same problems as Parker has had, but yeah, none of it is her fault. Because, you know, she's the first talented player ever to be cut from Team USA...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
EDD was planning to sit out a full year and a half from any competitive basketball if she wasn't traded. That to me shows a different level of dedication from the players listed above.

It's the exact same move that Charles and Fowles did and that had no bearing on their USAB status either, nor should it.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
It's the exact same move that Charles and Fowles did and that had no bearing on their USAB status either, nor should it.

Both of those players play every year overseas. EDD doesn't.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yet another example of lack of full commitment to basketball (passion?) is EDD not playing basketball overseas during the WNBA off season prior to the 2016 Olympics.

Sue Bird doesn't play overseas either. Is she not fully committed to basketball?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Sue Bird doesn't play overseas either. Is she not fully committed to basketball?

Bird has played overseas almost her entire pro career and is 37 years old. She's also never threatened to sit out and take a full year and a half off of basketball if she wasn't traded to 1 specific team.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Bird has played overseas almost her entire pro career and is 37 years old. She's also never threatened to sit out and take a full year and a half off of basketball if she wasn't traded to 1 specific team.

She hasn't played overseas since 2014. What does her age have to do with anything? Is there a minimum number of overseas seasons one must play to be considered "committed to basketball". If so, why do they bother having Skylar Diggins try out? Maybe it's because playing overseas is not a prerequisite for selection on the team?

EDD threatening to sit out happened after the 2016 Olympics so it has nothing to with her being picked over Parker.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
She hasn't played overseas since 2014. What does her age have to do with anything? Is there a minimum number of overseas seasons one must play to be considered "committed to basketball". If so, why do they bother having Skylar Diggins try out? Maybe it's because playing overseas is not a prerequisite for selection on the team?

EDD threatening to sit out happened after the 2016 Olympics so it has nothing to with her being picked over Parker.

It's the accumulation of everything. To me, she's always given off a vibe that she's wants to make basketball more of a hobby and fit it in her life rather than making her life about basketball like we see with most pros. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. I commend her for knowing where her priorities are. I probably wouldn't want someone like that on my Olympic roster though. That's my point.

Even if you take out the threatening to sit out, when you look at her getting burnt out, switching to volleyball for a year, then playing at a comfy mid major rather than a more challenging school with better coaching, reports of a loss of passion again in the pros, never opting to play overseas to improve her game, etc, it gives off the impression that the prioritization and passion just isn't there compared to pretty much everyone else on who was in contention for the Olympic team.

Other players have skipped playing overseas, threatened to sit out, etc. but when you look at all of these different instances over her career, I think it shows that her desire and drive as a basketball player isn't as high as other players.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
It was quote on quote Coach Geno Auriemma fault Candace Parker didn't make the last 2 teams, so I guess it's quote on quote Coach Dawn Staley fault this time. I do not know what happen, and why Candace Parker isn't chosen to play for USA, but what I do know, it has to be higher than the Coach of the team. It may even be higher than the Committee.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It's the accumulation of everything. To me, she's always given off a vibe that she's wants to make basketball more of a hobby and fit it in her life rather than making her life about basketball like we see with most pros. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. I commend her for knowing where her priorities are. I probably wouldn't want someone like that on my Olympic roster though. That's my point.

Even if you take out the threatening to sit out, when you look at her getting burnt out, switching to volleyball for a year, then playing at a comfy mid major rather than a more challenging school with better coaching, reports of a loss of passion again in the pros, never opting to play overseas to improve her game, etc, it gives off the impression that the prioritization and passion just isn't there compared to pretty much everyone else on who was in contention for the Olympic team.

Other players have skipped playing overseas, threatened to sit out, etc. but when you look at all of these different instances over her career, I think it shows that her desire and drive as a basketball player isn't as high as other players.

upload_2018-5-18_17-1-23.png

She's finished inside of the top 3 in PER in each of the last 5 years and is currently #1 among active players in career PER. Going into the 2016 Olympics, she was the reigning MVP.

But let's not take her to the Olympics because she went to a mid-major and spent freshman year playing volleyball.

Let's not take her because she demanded a trade once.

Let's not take her because she doesn't go to China or Russia or Turkey and beat up on inferior competition every winter.

Let's not take her because she has a wife and two dogs and a family that she would like to see every once in a while and she's fortunate enough to have other revenue streams so she doesn't have to wreck her body playing year round.

Yes indeed, I sure am glad it's not *your Olympic roster*.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's all about finding the best players who fit the system, who can play together to form a cohesive team. Parker clearly wasn't a right fit for the system. The committee could see that. The vast majority of us can see that.
You are being way too logical. :D
The head coach (Geno) and one assistant coach ( Doug Bruno) and 9 of the 12 players ( DT, Sylvia, Maya, Sue, Catch, Tina, Angel, Seimone, & Lindsay) remained the same between the 2012 and 2016 olympics.
The entire coaching staff and 9 of the 12 players ( DT, Maya, Sue, Tina, Angel, Brittney, Stewie, Seimone, & Lindsay) remained the same between the 2014 world Championship and 2016 olympics.
Between 2012 and 2016 better fits (than Parker) for the system emerged such as Britney, EDD, and Stewie.
occams-razor-6-728.jpg

Reaction Score
You are being way too logical. :D
The head coach (Geno) and one assistant coach ( Doug Bruno) and 9 of the 12 players ( DT, Sylvia, Maya, Sue, Catch, Tina, Angel, Seimone, & Lindsay) remained the same between the 2012 and 2016 olympics.
The entire coaching staff and 9 of the 12 players ( DT, Maya, Sue, Tina, Angel, Brittney, Stewie, Seimone, & Lindsay) remained the same between the 2014 world Championship and 2016 olympics.
Between 2012 and 2016 better fits (than Parker) for the system emerged such as Britney, EDD, and Stewie.
occams-razor-6-728.jpg

Yes. it is simple. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

Reaction Score
Even though Pat is gone, Tennessee and UConn hasn't played either in over a decade, the bad blood is still strong as ever.

Reaction Score
Even though Pat is gone, Tennessee and UConn hasn't played either in over a decade, the bad blood is still strong as ever.

No, UConn and Tennessee have moved on. No problem there. The fans are still stuck there and refuse to move...sad.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No, UConn and Tennessee have moved on. No problem there. The fans are still stuck there and refuse to move...sad.
Why is it sad? That's what makes rivalries exciting - dislike between coaches, players, fan bases, etc etc.

Perhaps the next generation who didn't live thru the 39 page complaint to the NCAA's, Pat's not-so-subtle attempt to take down Geno, Geno's constant tweaking of Pat and Tennessee, Tenn fans feeling UCONN cheated to get Maya (and used Pat's sexual orientation against Tennessee), UCONN surpassing Tennessee as the best program ever in WCBB, etc etc...

Plus the fact that when the 2 teams met over 20 times, it was usually #1 vs. #2 - a truly gargantuan heavyweight battle that almost always had huge implications for the WCBB landcscape... Perhaps that next generation will not remember as strongly and "move on" as you say...

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
I like how after they offered her a convenient excuse to say it was her decision, she basically told them to screw off. Good for her.

They offered her a Graceful way to spin it and she chose the "poor me" routine........sooo, your "screw off" is misplaced.

She’s publicly stated she isn’t considering playing for USA basketball again. That’s why no one has made anything of it.

Apparently shes NOT making Dawn's 2020 team either......so, Candace SPINS it that she quit.

It's just Sour Grapes all around.....

Reaction Score
Why is it sad? That's what makes rivalries exciting - dislike between coaches, players, fan bases, etc etc.

Perhaps the next generation who didn't live thru the 39 page complaint to the NCAA's, Pat's not-so-subtle attempt to take down Geno, Geno's constant tweaking of Pat and Tennessee, Tenn fans feeling UCONN cheated to get Maya (and used Pat's sexual orientation against Tennessee), UCONN surpassing Tennessee as the best program ever in WCBB, etc etc...

Plus the fact that when the 2 teams met over 20 times, it was usually #1 vs. #2 - a truly gargantuan heavyweight battle that almost always had huge implications for the WCBB landcscape... Perhaps that next generation will not remember as strongly and "move on" as you say...

I know. The old guys from Brooklyn still talk about the Dodgers and Giants...pre California rivalry....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom