Article on Candace Parker and not playing for USA again | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Article on Candace Parker and not playing for USA again

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
You had me until the last paragraph. I do not think it was Geno’s call.

I didn't say it was Geno's call--I just stated that it was political, whether it was her relationship with him, the committee at USA basketball, her teammates, etc.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
She refused to play the 5 and couldn't beat out those at the 3. And anyone saying it was a UConn-Tenn thing has to explain Catchings.

No Fuss? - Were you in a coma?

No one blames Geno? The first thing Parker did after she was cut was to post the video of her dunking at UConn in 06 or 07, a blatant suggestion that Geno was paying her back for something a decade old. That response would have been classless if a 12 year old did it. For a player of her age and caliber it was petulant and said a lot to me about her character. It would be like saying that Pat picked lesbians over heterosexual players when she coached the team.

Was there anything else besides an instagram post?

Parker never trashed Geno or USA basketball. I just googled "Candace Parker Olympics Interview" and here were quotes that came up in her interview with the AP:

“I was surprised and disappointed,” Parker said in a phone interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday. “Having gone to last two Olympics, I know what it means to represent the USA. I wish everybody on the team good luck. The USA is going to win a sixth gold medal.”

Parker received a call from national team director Carol Callan last week informing her of USA Basketball’s decision.

“I was surprised, very surprised, but it’s tough on her,” Parker said. “I was looking forward to this summer. I played well up until this point. Played well in both camps. I felt like my game is still in its prime.”

She's never once made any negative or backhanded comments about the committee, the coaching staff, or any of the players. In every interview she's done, she's stated that she was disappointed that she wasn't selected but never blamed anyone.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No .... USAB told her she could spin the reason why she wasn't on the team anyway she wanted that USAB was not going to comment in any way on reasons. USAB has kept their word.

Candace instead planted anonymous comments thru third parties like Michelle Voepel and Maria Cornelius.
IMO she was left off the team for valid, non-political reasons.

let me clarify: either Voepel or Cornelius (I think it was Voepel) reported [and this is a paraphrase] that CP was told by USAB that they would not comment on why CP was left off the team so if she wanted to say it was her choice or injury or whatever that they would not comment further. The italicized portion is another way of saying "spin". Maybe I should just said that but I thought "spin" was succint and just as accurate.

The only way we know anything about this is by way of one of these two sportswriters. The source was not named. But it had to come from either USAB or CP . I doubt the writer got it from USAB. My guess is CP.

The subject you are trying to cover is also covered in this article also. The source was named it was Candace's father. From the Article:
"USA Basketball, according to Parker’s father, told her that she could essentially “resign”: Tell the public she wanted to take a step back and pass on the 2016 Olympics. That would give her cover."

You call it "spin" and this article calls it "cover". USA basketball made a decision not to have Candace on the team, why would USA basketball or Candace or any player not making the team need cover or have to spin the reason for not making the team?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Have to realize she wasn't competing against Delle Donna and Stewart. She was competing against Fowles, Griner and Charles. And she didn't like that anyway.

She refused to play the 5 and couldn't beat out those at the 3.
This is a version ( Parker refused to play the 5) of events I have never heard before. Please tell me more or at least how you came by this information.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Your post was, “I guess her not getting an invite so far for 2020 must still be Geno's fault.”

No one else mentioned her not getting an invite for 2020, nor anything about Geno in relation to that.
Let me refresh your memory.

"I think it’s strikingly clear that the reason Candace was left off was political. She didn’t get along with Geno. Maybe she had beef with others at USA basketball so she didn’t get a spot. Maybe she did something horrible we don’t know about. But toughness, loyalty, flexibility, and most of all, ability, were not reasons to exclude Candace."

You brought up that canard about Geno not getting along with her and that her exclusion from the '16 team was political. My response was to that, so let's not pretend that #2 doesn't or cannot follow #1.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Let me refresh your memory.

"I think it’s strikingly clear that the reason Candace was left off was political. She didn’t get along with Geno. Maybe she had beef with others at USA basketball so she didn’t get a spot. Maybe she did something horrible we don’t know about. But toughness, loyalty, flexibility, and most of all, ability, were not reasons to exclude Candace."

You brought up that canard about Geno not getting along with her and that her exclusion from the '16 team was political. My response was to that, so let's not pretend that #2 doesn't or cannot follow #1.

Gotcha. I think you misinterpreted what I stated, or I didn’t explain it well since I think another poster misinterpreted the point I was hoping to get across. I was trying to insinuate that it appears to be a political decision rather than based on those other factors that the poster mentioned. Geno was used as an example of what a political reason could’ve been, but I wasn’t saying that was THE reason she was left off. I brought up other examples too....just saying it could’ve been any number of political reasons, but I believe 100% it was due to some political reason one way or another.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Read the article. It's one small section of it. I'm guessing the reporter asked her about it too and her plans in the future, so naturally it would come up.

She should have brushed it off as ancient history.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The subject you are trying to cover is also covered in this article also. The source was named it was Candace's father. From the Article:
"USA Basketball, according to Parker’s father, told her that she could essentially “resign”: Tell the public she wanted to take a step back and pass on the 2016 Olympics. That would give her cover."

You call it "spin" and this article calls it "cover". USA basketball made a decision not to have Candace on the team, why would USA basketball or Candace or any player not making the team need cover or have to spin the reason for not making the team?

I'm surprised you're asking this question. It's like a major corporation offering an executive the opportunity to retire rather than have it announced that he or she has been fired. (For example, the AT&T exec who approved the contract with the president's lawyer announced his retirement the day after news of that contract became public. He's actually an acquaintance of mine; he was told he was done but was given the opportunity to "retire.") It's the same thing with USA BB. Parker didn't have the votes on the committee to make the team. Given her stature in the women's game, USA BB offered her an alternative explanation which they would not contradict. She declined which was her right to do. To quote Candace's father, USA BB "owned" its decision and felt no pressure to explain. USA BB moved on and didn't sweat or regret its decision one bit. The team won gold and played exceptional basketball, perhaps the best any USA team has every played. From all accounts, it was an exceptional experience for all involved.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agreed. Their 2nd crew of 12 very likely wins gold. Same with their third crew. The talent disparity between the US and the rest of the world is quite significant.
The talent disparity is large, but shrinking. We struggled a bit in 2016 against France when Sue Bird was out. We struggled against Spain in 2014. Maya's initial scoring spurt became the margin of victory in the finals. We trailed Australia in 2012, partly because Griner wasn't there, Sylvia was playing hurt, and neither Candace nor anyone else could slow Liz Cambage in the first half. In a single-elimination event, where only gold is acceptable, the talent margin can never be too big.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Loyalty—as she noted, she sacrificed a lot of time with her daughter for USA basketball over the years. Not to mention being a major face in promos and other facets. She had been regularly involved with USA basketball since 2003 or 2004.

I'm not sure I understand the point you're making. There are a lot of players who sacrificed time with loved ones to participate in USA BB camps and world championships who didn't make the Rio Olympic team. Surely you're not suggesting that missing time with a daughter is a greater sacrifice than those made by players who don't have children. That being the case, I'm not sure why her daughter is brought in to the discussion.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I understand the point you're making. There are a lot of players who sacrificed time with loved ones to participate in USA BB camps and world championships who didn't make the Rio Olympic team. Surely you're not suggesting that missing time with a daughter is a greater sacrifice than those made by players who don't have children. That being the case, I'm not sure why her daughter is brought in to the discussion.
Candace wanted to play in the high-profile Olympics, but missed the World Cup in 2010 and 2014. Some questioned her loyalty over those decisions.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
"I felt disrespected."

News flash to Candace: USA Basketball wasn't founded for the sole purpose of putting you on a pedestal. May I kindly suggest you grow ... the **** ... up.

One day, some of the real story—not filtered through her, her dad, or her sycophants—will come out, and it will not leave her basking in a positive light.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Candace wanted to play in the high-profile Olympics, but missed the World Cup in 2010 and 2014. Some questioned her loyalty over those decisions.

Exactly right. She bagged the World Championships in Istanbul in 2014. After playing the entire WNBA season and the playoffs without evidence of injury, Parker announced that she would not be able to play for USA Basketball in Istanbul because of some minor, undisclosed knee surgery. USA Basketball was not pleased nor were some of her teammates, the ones who show up and play in the world championships even though they'd probably like to take time off to have some minor surgeries or rest before overseas commitments begin. Whatever the surgery, Parker was ready to go when her overseas schedule began early November, 2014.

Parker chose to make sure she was healthy and ready to go for her Euroleague team. Good for her. USA BB made a choice as well. No preferential treatment, no player is more special than another. If you're going to choose not to play in the world championships, then USA BB can choose not to put you on the Olympic team. That seems fair to the many players who didn't pass on the world championships.

Reaction Score

Not choosing Parker for 2016 was tough and they thought Parker would take it hard, they were trying to be nice.... Cornelius and Voepel and whoever else have made it into USAB covering their own tail.

But this artilce with Parker's father quote is not the article I referenced. When was this quote? for this article so recently. The Voepel/Cornelius article I remember came out April or May 2016...

This is not the context of the article of 2016 ... though the "spin" here, as then is cast an unfavorable light on Carol Callan/USAB.

USAB said they would not comment on why one person was chosen and another not chosen and they have kept their word.

Reaction Score
Parker was one of the top 5 players in the world in 2016 but as we are told time and time again, the US teams are not made of the 12 best players but the best 12 for the team. Parker in 2012 played her own game instead of the game Geno wanted her to play and while she is an amazing one on one player with endless number of moves, it is not the style that Geno wanted the team to play. In 2016 the team played beautiful basketball and the chemistry between the players was evident. The team for 2018 and 2020 is under Staley who will play a different style of game. Parker got a chance to get back into the team and the fact she does not want to is totally on her.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Another poster mentioned it as a reason why she could’ve been snubbed. I was making the point that she’s been loyal to USA basketball over the years and showed her dedication. Not comparing the level of sacrifice she’s made to players without kids, but her dedication and loyalty wasn’t a reason why she was snubbed.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
it is a good article and as someone above stated, the sport of women's basketball needs more good well written coverage. The Olympic part of it s a small segment which with blue glasses certainly feels a bit off and brings on the various arguments that have filled numerous threads on this (and other) boards since the team was announced.

I have no issue with the team that was selected in 2016 and the proof was in the outstanding basketball that was played. And I have no issue with CP being pissed off about the selection - she isn't the first and will not be the last to feel anger over USA basketball selection or selection to any other nations team in any other sport. And the reporting on such selections is always full of second guessing before and after the results come in of the actual competition. No one knows the real facts behind those decisions and no one can state what the results would have been with different choices made. Just as no one could have been able to predict the importance of the twelfth player on the team when Liz and Australia were manhandling USA a few years earlier!

Reaction Score
USA BB wants "WE" players and Candace is a "ME" player so she wasn't picked for the teams!
Everyone of the 12 picked in 2016 would do anything necessary for the team to win, Candace has to be the star!
She can say anything she wants but her ego kept her off the teams!

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
The talent disparity is large, but shrinking. We struggled a bit in 2016 against France when Sue Bird was out. We struggled against Spain in 2014. Maya's initial scoring spurt became the margin of victory in the finals. We trailed Australia in 2012, partly because Griner wasn't there, Sylvia was playing hurt, and neither Candace nor anyone else could slow Liz Cambage in the first half. In a single-elimination event, where only gold is acceptable, the talent margin can never be too big.

2012 Olympics Australia game 2nd half Miss Jones came in and showed everyone why she was on the team...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Gotcha. I think you misinterpreted what I stated, or I didn’t explain it well since I think another poster misinterpreted the point I was hoping to get across. I was trying to insinuate that it appears to be a political decision rather than based on those other factors that the poster mentioned. Geno was used as an example of what a political reason could’ve been, but I wasn’t saying that was THE reason she was left off. I brought up other examples too....just saying it could’ve been any number of political reasons, but I believe 100% it was due to some political reason one way or another.
Again my friend, although you mentioned Geno first as perhaps one reason It was you who brought his name into the conversation. The other reasons seemed secondary afterthoughts. Before you it wasn't broached. Then you reprimand me (?) for attempting to eliminate that canard. Talk about deflecting attention. Look over here people, not behind my curtains.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

The World Cup reason seems to be grasping for straws IMO. Catchings skipped 2014 to rest. Griner skipped 2012 and was suspended from USA basketball less than a year before the Olympics. And in 2010, Parker missed almost the full 2010 WNBA season and World Cup with a shoulder injury...not sure you can hold that one against her.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Again my friend, although you mentioned Geno first as perhaps one reason It was you who brought his name into the conversation. The other reasons seemed secondary afterthoughts. Before you it wasn't broached. Then you reprimand me (?) for attempting to eliminate that canard. Talk about deflecting attention. Look over here people, not behind my curtains.

As I said before, I probably didn’t word that section the best. I was giving examples of what the political reason could be, not stating that Geno was the reason she was left off.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The World Cup reason seems to be grasping for straws IMO. Catchings skipped 2014 to rest. Griner skipped 2012 and was suspended from USA basketball less than a year before the Olympics. And in 2010, Parker missed almost the full 2010 WNBA season and World Cup with a shoulder injury...not sure you can hold that one against her.
Not grasping for straws at all. Reliable sources have said that USA Basketball and her potential teammates were not pleased.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom