Article on Candace Parker and not playing for USA again | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Article on Candace Parker and not playing for USA again

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Are we really relitigating something that happened two years ago?

1327th.jpg

Reaction Score
I can understand Candace being disrespected. But Team USA is looking for loyalty, flexibility, and toughness, perhaps even more than ability. Candace is a finesse player who doesn't like physical contact, so she often plays "small." I think it's a legitimate question: If you have to take 3 of Charles, Parker, Delle Donne, and Stewart, whom do you take? Tina is strong and can play the 4 and 5; Elena is a world-class shooter; and Stewie is more versatile and a better shooter, as well as the future of Team USA. By a narrow margin, Candace finishes 4th.
All around...I think Candace (CP3) was better than all of them at the time.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
All around...I think Candace (CP3) was better than all of them at the time.
Very possible, which is why the decision was not made solely on basketball skills. Hence the discussion of her attitude/commitment towards Team USA, and the opinions of other players on Team USA, and the committee deciding on the best teammates for the team.

One thing not mentioned really this time around is that Catching was the last player off the bench and played the fewest minutes. It's likely she was the 12th player on the team and the decision came down to Parker or Catchings. Catch is one of everyone's all time favorites, whether you are a UCONN fan, or just a fan of women's basketball. She is respected by all, and no one has worked harder over the course of her career for US National Basketball than Catch. Plus she's a class act. The committee made the right decision.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom