Article about teams poaching Mora | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Article about teams poaching Mora

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I like to check the pulse once in a while I googled Jim Mora news and this was the first result. Never been to this site but I think it shows the legs this story has.

Someone needs to tell the author we beat Yale last year.

Reaction Score
He's coaching like he wants to stay. Which is how he will get a Big 5 offer. Turning CU Buffs around is going to be much harder than the Huskies. They will hire him for long term big money and it might be too much to turn down. We need to up the ante from his current deal.

Unless he has some deep motivation to prove he can win in the pac , I just don’t see him going to CU. He already had one of the top 2 jobs in the PAC, and it didn’t work out. It’s much harder to win at CU then it is at UCLA.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
My biggest concern besides dollars is that Mora seemed disappointed about the lack of butts in the seats for the Liberty game - he kind of held back his comments a bit too.

I think we need to see a noticeable increase in attendance next year. I wish I could get more people to go to the games.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern besides dollars is that Mora seemed disappointed about the lack of butts in the seats for the Liberty game - he kind of held back his comments a bit too.

I think we need to see a noticeable increase in attendance next year. I wish I could get more people to go to the games.
If Mora likes a challange, butts in seats is a big one.

Reaction Score

I didn’t get that impression. He just said the fans will be back with time and he was very appreciative of the ones that did.

Reaction Score
Cav is roughly $240,000 more per year, from $360,000 to $597,000. Penders is now $380,000 annually. Mora requires another decimal.

Reaction Score
Someone needs to tell the author we beat Yale last year.
It's odd because he provides a link to his own article from August. maybe suckin back on grandpa's old cough medicine?

"So Mora took over a team that went 1-11 last year, with only a 21-15 win over Yale."

Reaction Score

While I agree he did seem slightly agitated, I think he is someone who understands you cant flip a switch from one of the worst FBS teams in the history of the sport overnight to selling out games.

Reaction Score
Cav is roughly $240,000 more per year, from $360,000 to $597,000. Penders is now $380,000 annually. Mora requires another decimal.
Not bad for "non-revenue sports... winning brings excitement and donors.

Reaction Score
If Mora likes a challange, butts in seats is a big one.
Increased attendance, increased merchandise sales, a bowl as an independent will being in $1.5-$2 million.
Mora has already reportedly picked up a $25k bonus for increased attendance. Not positive what the next benchmark is. Here are some YOY numbers from D1Ticker (through last weekend):

2022 FBS Attendance Trends  College Athletics News  D1 ticker.jpg

Reaction Score
I didn’t get that impression. He just said the fans will be back with time and he was very appreciative of the ones that did.
He should be disappointed for sure in the poor attendance last game given how big that game was for the program… he has do be thinking “what do I need to do to get the fans back?”

It on the fans to get their butts in the seats….they will show Mora that Connecticut appreciates what he has done and increasing attendance significantly I’m sure is what Mora wants to see as does Benedict as we need the additional revenue to pay Mora more going forward that will keep him here.

Still think this is his destination job based on his age and based on his comments about the challenge of wanting to rebuilding a program that is down and climbing a mountain to get there…he also wants to stay to get us into a better conference increasing our revenue and more money for Mora!

Reaction Score
Now all we can do is purchase bowl tickets if we make a bowl game and show the world that we are UConn nation.

Reaction Score
The rain forecast for last Saturday killed attendance. I’m sure he’s aware of that. Plus, it was Liberty. #19 or not, it was still Liberty. That’s one of the challenges of UConn being screwed in realignment. Casual fans want to see bigger names and more familiar names. You can’t blame the fans for this situation. He’s here to win the fans back and maybe propel us to a good conference. A 5-5 team isn’t filling the Rent after 12 years of losing. Next season the stands will be substantially fuller.

Reaction Score
The forecast three days earlier said weather would clear by 9am and be close to 70 and sunny…….top 20 team and chance to go to a bowl…and last home game of the year. If you hadn’t been to a game all year, that was the game you should have attended….

The fans need to do better………didn’t expect the Rent to be filled but certainly should have been a much better crowd than what showed up unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Yes, money will decide whether we can keep him here or not. It won't be solely what we pay him however (and likely won't need to be what other schools would be willing to offer).

He said he didn't come here to win six games. If the school can demonstrate the commitment to rise as high as he wants to take us, he'll be here until he no longer wants to coach.
Although one question is whether he wants to compete for championships somewhere. Because without a conference, he can’t do that here.

Reaction Score
He should be disappointed for sure in the poor attendance last game given how big that game was for the program… he has do be thinking “what do I need to do to get the fans back?”

It on the fans to get their butts in the seats….they will show Mora that Connecticut appreciates what he has done and increasing attendance significantly I’m sure is what Mora wants to see as does Benedict as we need the additional revenue to pay Mora more going forward that will keep him here.

Still think this is his destination job based on his age and based on his comments about the challenge of wanting to rebuilding a program that is down and climbing a mountain to get there…he also wants to stay to get us into a better conference increasing our revenue and more money for Mora!

The biggest attended home games were against regional rivals. Liberty is Liberty and they don’t move the needle much.

Plus the weather forecast days prior called for heavy rain at game time. Everyone made other plans but of course you know New England weather.

Reaction Score
Good bosses have open dialogue about future aspirations. If Mora wants to continue to stay in Connecticut because he likes it here, awesome. If not what is it going to take to keep him here long term so he can let other teams know his interest is to remain at UConn long term.

If he wants a national championship… well that’s quite a feat. I feel like he and DB understand how huge this is for the university and the challenge that’s in front of everyone. Keep winning and it might lead to the ACC or B10… which is even more money. That’s on DB but he needs football to consistently produce.

He seems to be enjoying himself and there’s love from the staff, team, fans, and students. During the field storm the students were chanting his name. So much appreciation for the guy!

He’s turning a lot of heads and the fans WILL come back if he keeps up the great work.

I’ve never bought season tickets but if he hangs on I would consider it.

Reaction Score
I've said this before. Mora is not like Leopold at Kansas, another amazing miracle worker--but a relative unknown to the nation. Mora's a well known guy to the media and a great interview, especially now with his "incredulous, improbable, turnaround of UConn's moribund football program". Every interviewer expects him to be on the radar screen of bigger programs--right now.
We better be prepared to step up and do some heavy "bag" lifting to keep him. He's a Pac12 guy. Attended Washington. Coached at UCLA. Why wouldn't Colorado have him locked on their radar? He's a perfect fit for the desperate Buffs and CU has an enormous checkbook. Mora loves a hard challenge--and climbing rugged mountains. His new wife has no ties to the Northeast. Mora's son is in the same fraternity at CU with my grandson who told me that Mora's on the radar out there. The guys in the fraternity watched the Revolution videos, especially the recent video recap of the Liberty game and were yelling "bring Mora here!" Doesn't mean it will happen-- but it's a cautionary tale.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Coaches say it's not about the money; oftentimes they are FOS. But sometimes is more than being about the money from both the coach's perspective and the school's perspective.

There is no doubt Notre Dame could have paid Brian Kelley the same amount as what LSU is paying and ND could have paid more. The pocket was plenty deep.

So, as cliche as it sounds, you gotta pay the coach enough money to make being where he is a green enough pasture to make what's on the other side of the fence not look green enough.

Reaction Score
Tucker at MSU got a big bump because LSU was swirling before they landed Kelly. But the extra money came from boosters, not the school.

Do we have boosters that are willing to step up? Probably not in the way it would matter. So to me this is all about what Mora wants to do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom