Article about teams poaching Mora | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Article about teams poaching Mora

Reaction Score
Any team with a head coaching vacancy that doesn't have Mora on their list is really stupid. The guy can coach. He makes players better. He makes teams better. He has one of the best resumes in college football.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Mora knows how easy the schedule was this year and next year. He's had plenty of other offers since his last gig. He said he wanted this job and reaching out to get it says that's true. He's not going anywhere so long as he is still enjoying life here. If there was a FB reason to leave then he never would have signed on in the first place.

It's a weird thing for the coaching carousel to understand. Hence, the speculation of a name coach doing well at a place beneath his reputation, why wouldn't he chase a "better job?"

Because it's not about the next job for him. The articles not only write themselves but almost demand to be written as click bait filler. We don't need to indulge them.

Reaction Score
Don't be. We'll have plenty of good candidates to fill any position that needs filling.
Way to be a voice of reason. That's no fun! But yeah, that is reasonable.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Mora is at UCONN for his legacy. He's already had success as an NFL and college coach. He has a chance to make a generational impact on our football program like Calhoun, Geno, Stevens (field hockey), Cavanaugh (#IceBus), Morrone/Reid (men's soccer), and Penders (baseball). Mora's staying until we are legit in football.

Reaction Score
Mora has good reason to stay and another to leave. He’s already said why staying makes sense—6 wins is not a satisfactory result. It’s promising, but there’s much more to do. We can up his pay, pay his assistants more and provide extra perks, but if his new wife (who he referenced by saying he’s finally “happy in life”) whispers ‘I don’t like it here, I’m not happy living here long term‘, I have little doubt that he’d parlay the current glow surrounding him into a new job.

Reaction Score
No coach is going to leave UConn to go to USF. Football, basketball, all the way down to rowing. That university has screwed up so many times, they deserve what's coming to them.
As much as I'd love to disagree, I can't. USF just got approved for an on campus stadium. USF is in one of the fastest growing state and if USF hired Jim Mora for the same amount, he'll be making more since there isn't an income tax in Florida. As much as we look down on USF, they are serious about athletics. They might be starting an ice hockey team since Jeff Vinick (NHL's Lightning owner), is offering them money for an arena on campus.

That said, isn't it wonderful that a football coach is being talked about NOT BECAUSE OF THEM BEING ON THE HOT SEAT, but because he might be poached?

I hope AD David Benedict can fine some $$$ in the cushions to pay HCJM more. We need him.

Reaction Score
Hurely and Geno make $3 million per year so I think UConn can afford more than $1.5 million for a football coach.
What do we think the magic number is though? Will enough donors step up to pay Mora $3-5M which is the going rate for a non-elite coach? Certainly can't fund it with football or media revenue.

Reaction Score
If you watched the Sports Center interview with Mora from yesterday, he flat out states that he has had his career and is not doing this for a career move. He is doing it because he thinks this is a great place to help kids. UConn has the setup to help kids achieve what they need to.

Reaction Score
What do we think the magic number is though? Will enough donors step up to pay Mora $3-5M which is the going rate for a non-elite coach? Certainly can't fund it with football or media revenue.
I think he should be boosted to $2.5 million for next year which is in line with what Diaco would have been making. Another good year and continued excitement, I boost him again next year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
...but if his new wife (who he referenced by saying he’s finally “happy in life”) whispers ‘I don’t like it here, I’m not happy living here long term‘, I have little doubt that he’d parlay the current glow surrounding him into a new job.
I suppose. But they are a team and they're not kids. He's not coming here if she didn't sign off in the first place.

Reaction Score
First, how much positive pub has UCONN received this fall already and it's barely basketball season. Next, it's Basketball season! Hockey is off to a great start. UCONN is going to parlay this positive streak into continued success. We don't know how much this fall has benefitted the university from a financial standpoint, but it has. Heck people in LA probably think UCLA and USC are going to be playing UCONN every year!

Reaction Score
As much as I'd love to disagree, I can't. USF just got approved for an on campus stadium. USF is in one of the fastest growing state and if USF hired Jim Mora for the same amount, he'll be making more since there isn't an income tax in Florida. As much as we look down on USF, they are serious about athletics. They might be starting an ice hockey team since Jeff Vinick (NHL's Lightning owner), is offering them money for an arena on campus.
I think you could maybe make this argument for a young coach looking to climb the ladder. For mora though, if he’s willing to leave it would only be for something he’d consider a destination job. A good power 5 school in a desirable location for him

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yes, money will decide whether we can keep him here or not. It won't be solely what we pay him however (and likely won't need to be what other schools would be willing to offer).

He said he didn't come here to win six games. If the school can demonstrate the commitment to rise as high as he wants to take us, he'll be here until he no longer wants to coach.

Reaction Score

That said, isn't it wonderful that a football coach is being talked about NOT BECAUSE OF THEM BEING ON THE HOT SEAT, but because he might be poached?

I hope AD David Benedict can fine some $$$ in the cushions to pay HCJM more. We need him.
USF fans on themselves are questioning the budget for the stadium due to firing Scott and the fact that their basketball team is not doing well either and they do not believe they are adding another male team due to the cost of having to add both a men’s and women’s team. They also question how hockey works when being geographically separated from the rest of college hockey. I also don’t think they will spend the amount of the buyout either.

Reaction Score
USF fans on themselves are questioning the budget for the stadium due to firing Scott and the fact that their basketball team is not doing well either and they do not believe they are adding another male team due to the cost of having to add both a men’s and women’s team. They also question how hockey works when being geographically separated from the rest of college hockey. I also don’t think they will spend the amount of the buyout either.
Since Tampa Bay Lightning is doing great, UF is looking to upgrade their CLUB HOCKEY team. That said, UGA is also thinking of upgrade their club team. Also one of the HBCUs is thinking of starting an ice hockey team, so you might see the SEC in hockey.

I'll say in 5 to 10 years, you'll be seeing hockey teams in universities you won't expect.

USF athletics should leave the AAC. It is hurting them, too. The only team they care about is UCF (their rival), but soon they'll be in the B12.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The two hottest coaches, besides Geno, that UConn has are JM and J Penders. I feel AD David Benedict is in a good position right now because IMO neither man is going anywhere. Penders will never leave the UConn job and JM still needs at least 2 more years to create some degree of a legacy . But it will cost UConn some money and that's where some alumni angels need to step forward.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think you are missing the point.....Mora isn't a 40yo coach trying to develop a career path and provide for his family. He has already done that. And...he has shown he is very loyal...if he has left a team it's because he has been fired. Not for more cash. He even stayed loyal when U Dub...his alma mater....tried to hire him away.

He may leave...but it won't be for more cash...it will be because he doesn't think he has the resources here.

I may be wrong...but I don't think a 61 yo guy with his personality is going to Petrino us. And I don't think as long as DB is here, he won't get what he wants. New AD?...all bets are off.

Reaction Score
I think you are missing the point.....Mora isn't a 40yo coach trying to develop a career path and provide for his family. He has already done that. And...he has shown he is very loyal...if he has left a team it's because he has been fired. Not for more cash. He even stayed loyal when U Dub...his alma mater....tried to hire him away.

He may leave...but it won't be for more cash...it will be because he doesn't think he has the resources here.

I may be wrong...but I don't think a 61 yo guy with his personality is going to Petrino us. And I don't think as long as DB is here, he won't get what he wants. New AD?...all bets are off.
He has spoken in interview about not wanting to recruit guys and then up and leave them

Reaction Score
I like to check the pulse once in a while I googled Jim Mora news and this was the first result. Never been to this site but I think it shows the legs this story has.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom