Article about teams poaching Mora | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Article about teams poaching Mora

Reaction Score
I just have a feeling Mora isn't going anywhere. When Diaco was hired, everyone and their mother knew that if he had success he was gone to the next school calling. Mora seems genuinely happy at UConn and the fans this year showed why. Sure they weren't huge sellouts, but the students showed up to every game and the crowds were loud on TV. He stayed at UCLA when big money was offered his way. AD David Benedict will invest in Mora as much as possible and we will see the dividends. I think he's here until either he retires or we start heading back down the old losing ways. So in other words, he's here for a long time and that's going to really build this program back to team that can be a perennial top 25

Reaction Score
He’s not going anywhere and we need stop acting like the girl who’s about to lose her only boyfriend to the prom queen. If the guy leaves he’s got no integrity and he should leave. If he stays, he’s exactly the guy we thought he is… which is a man on a mission to create something that leaves a legacy.

Reaction Score
I think that one of the things that drives these coaches to job hop so quickly and often is that lack of patience by fanbases and athletic departments. It's not the only thing that causes this and certainly given the money involved that's a key driver. Most fanbases are completely unrealistic in their expectations and that often results in administrations moving coaches out very early in a process improve a program.

Reaction Score
Season of HOPE!

HOPE we can win 3.
HOPE we can win 4.
HOPE we can win 6.
HOPE we can go to a bowl.
HOPE coach Mora stays.
Hope we can win 8 next season.
HOPE AD can find $$$ to raise salaries of coaches.
HOPE we can get in a conference.
I believe UConn is on a trajectory to become a solid FB program, and instead of HOPE it will become a REALITY.
Being positive on the BONEYARD will help elevate the program.
Keep the FAITH.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

Reaction Score
He’s not going anywhere and we need stop acting like the girl who’s about to lose her only boyfriend to the prom queen. If the guy leaves he’s got no integrity and he should leave. If he stays, he’s exactly the guy we thought he is… which is a man on a mission to create something that leaves a legacy.
If he leaves we should be thankful for the best season we’ve had since the fiesta bowl and for putting this program in the right direction.

Reaction Score
That’s a wonderful thought but it ignores the distinctions between UConn in basketball and UConn in football. In hoops, while we had no record of national success pre-Calhoun, we had a rabid fan base, a spot in a hot, national power conference, and played many games in what was then a major league arena. Someone wanting to find a school where they can build a football program into a national player will look at UConn and not see such an easy task. Even when Edsall signed on the first time, the fact that we were joining a power conference — albeit the weakest of them — provided a path to prominence we don’t have today.
I agree with you but on the other hand I saw Liberty ranked in the Top 25 until we beat them. I saw Coastal Carolina ranked. James Madison was ranked for a while. Seems to me a good UConn team could be too

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That’s a wonderful thought but it ignores the distinctions between UConn in basketball and UConn in football. In hoops, while we had no record of national success pre-Calhoun, we had a rabid fan base, a spot in a hot, national power conference, and played many games in what was then a major league arena. Someone wanting to find a school where they can build a football program into a national player will look at UConn and not see such an easy task. Even when Edsall signed on the first time, the fact that we were joining a power conference — albeit the weakest of them — provided a path to prominence we don’t have today.
Don’t underestimate the value that being able to control his own destiny has for Jim Mora. Being canned from UCLA really made a dent in his psyche. So long as he is does not feel hampered or constrained by the universities lack of investment in the program, I think he’ll be here for life.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Don’t underestimate the value that being able to control his own destiny has for Jim Mora. Being canned from UCLA really made a dent in his psyche. So long as he is does not feel hampered or constrained by the universities lack of investment in the program, I think he’ll be here for life.
I don't know about life, but I do think there is something appealing about a school that is really happy with his 6 win season (even if we hate the final game). Same for Lance Leipold, who just extended at Kansas, despite getting interest from Nebraska. He and Mora will have job security and support.

Reaction Score
I think that one of the things that drives these coaches to job hop so quickly and often is that lack of patience by fanbases and athletic departments. It's not the only thing that causes this and certainly given the money involved that's a key driver. Most fanbases are completely unrealistic in their expectations and that often results in administrations moving coaches out very early in a process improve a program.
Can you say Auburn? Or Nebraska? Life just got a whole lot more complicated for Texas A&M, too.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Can you say Auburn? Or Nebraska? Life just got a whole lot more complicated for Texas A&M, too.
Nope, not happening.

If this was his second season at UConn was 8-4 then maybe I would be a little worried but like someone else said they all want the new shiny up-and-coming coach.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Season of HOPE!

HOPE we can win 3.
HOPE we can win 4.
HOPE we can win 6.
HOPE we can go to a bowl.
HOPE coach Mora stays.
Hope we can win 8 next season.
HOPE AD can find $$$ to raise salaries of coaches.
HOPE we can get in a conference.
I believe UConn is on a trajectory to become a solid FB program, and instead of HOPE it will become a REALITY.
Being positive on the BONEYARD will help elevate the program.
Keep the FAITH.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING.
Great post. Interesting how hope leads to more hope.

Reaction Score
Nope, not happening.

If this was his second season at UConn was 8-4 then maybe I would be a little worried but like someone else said they all want the new shiny up-and-coming coach.
I agree. I was really commenting on programs who have a higher opinion of themselves than is deserved.

Reaction Score
I just have a feeling Mora isn't going anywhere. When Diaco was hired, everyone and their mother knew that if he had success he was gone to the next school calling.
Don't necessarily agree - Diaco was weird but he genuinely thought he could build something at UConn. He was offered the Rutgers job the year of the St. Pete Bowl, turned it down, and got his extension from DB. He of course got even weirder in 2016 - so I imagine the job offer and the new contract validated him in his thinking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom