Article about teams poaching Mora | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Article about teams poaching Mora

Reaction Score
Maybe (Mora) and Benedict go (to ASU) as a package
Don’t forget that before Auburn, David Benedict was Associate AD at ASU for almost 10 years. If both are being offered serious money to turn the Sun Devils program around, who knows. I hope not, but once you’re on these lists, momentum starts to take on a life of its own.

Reaction Score
I get it I do. But if another P5 school wants him and he wants them., there is no amount of money to keep him here.
I agree. I pray the man is committed here. Im biased in saying he’s replaceable at those schools. I’m not confident in saying he’s replaceable here (sadly). We need him. I also love how he represents our program and the university. Gut wrenching!

Reaction Score
I don't understand why y'all want this guy gone. If he leaves, all his credibility as a man is gone. All he's done is talk about his loyalty to his players and staff. He's spoken at length about wanting to be here and how during his time at UCLA he spurned offers from Texas and his alma mater Washington.

Imagine talking like that for a year then just abandoning your principles for a job like ASU or Colorado. He has never left a head coaching job for something "better" or more money.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We should be so lucky that schools want one of our coaches instead of having to punt them in to the sun. If Mora leaves then he gets a big thank you for pulling us out of the gutter and it’s time for AD to earn his paycheck again.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why y'all want this guy gone. If he leaves, all his credibility as a man is gone. All he's done is talk about his loyalty to his players and staff. He's spoken at length about wanting to be here and how during his time at UCLA he spurned offers from Texas and his alma mater Washington.

Imagine talking like that for a year then just abandoning your principles for a job like ASU or Colorado. He has never left a head coaching job for something "better" or more money.

first time?

Reaction Score
Well the simple fact is that the job is only partly done and he knows that. I suspect what he wants is a crowning achievement to his career. Only a prestigious bowl or a P5 invite would truly qualify although they might be out of reach for an indy. Next best would be consistent winning seasons.

Reaction Score
Tucker at MSU got a big bump because LSU was swirling before they landed Kelly. But the extra money came from boosters, not the school.

Do we have boosters that are willing to step up? Probably not in the way it would matter. So to me this is all about what Mora wants to do.
Do we have boosters? I think the big money people in Connecticut went to the Ivy League, not UConn. It isn't a knock on UConn, but Connecticut citizens are more private school than public. I'd love to see some people who went to UConn boost Jim Mora's salary because we need him to say awhile.

Reaction Score
Do we have boosters? I think the big money people in Connecticut went to the Ivy League, not UConn. It isn't a knock on UConn, but Connecticut citizens are more private school than public. I'd love to see some people who went to UConn boost Jim Mora's salary because we need him to say awhile.
This right here, cannot be stated enough times. The reason why UConn doesn't have the massive boosters other schools do is Ivy League competition. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, the other ones, taking the best and brightest away from northeast public schools.

Reaction Score
This right here, cannot be stated enough times. The reason why UConn doesn't have the massive boosters other schools do is Ivy League competition. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, the other ones, taking the best and brightest away from northeast public schools.
That's part of the problem but the bigger problems are self inflicted by UConn. Compared to other schools my family has attended, UConn is probably the worst at connecting to alumni and developing the donor base. Don't get me wrong, UConn has gotten better, but they have a long way to go to catch up to best practices.

And, if you are going to connect with highly successful alumni and donors, do not have a junior fundraiser contact them. Hire very successful alumni that want to give back to the university to be the point person with other highly successful alumni.

Reaction Score
That's part of the problem but the bigger problems are self inflicted by UConn. Compared to other schools my family has attended, UConn is probably the worst at connecting to alumni and developing the donor base. Don't get me wrong, UConn has gotten better, but they have a long way to go to catch up to best practices.

And, if you are going to connect with highly successful alumni and donors, do not have a junior fundraiser contact them. Hire very successful alumni that want to give back to the university to be the point person with other highly successful alumni.
Central has never, in 10 years, hit me up for money. My wife's alma mater on the other hand, small private school in Mass, sends mailers every quarter and wants to be included in her will.

Reaction Score
I'm in the DC metro area. I think they're still afraid to host football events because of being bad and covid. They should have thrown something together at some point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If Mora is gonna leave he's not going to show up on a leaked list. If you recall his name was not mentioned once before the official announcement at UConn.
Yeah, but that was between Dave Benedict and Jim Mora. There’s no guarantee that people at other schools wouldn’t mention his name for a variety of reasons.

I doubt he’s going anywhere this year, but he’s made it clear that the school needs to invest in the program. At this stage I think a lot of that is just allowing him to carry enough non scholarship kids as a part of the program. Coaches salaries are probably a discussion point as well. Those are the only things, but they’re probably the first things.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bob must be loaded after selling out to Bain Capital. Someone needs to give him a call. Neag didn't give any money until someone called.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
60 years old been everywhere seen just about everything most of which he had no control over like this job, he’s goin no where, he’s the architect of this situation

Reaction Score

Arizona State

Watch for Oregon offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham to get a good look. ASU may fall into one of the best hires of the cycle. The talented Dillingham seems to be the leader in the clubhouse, but you never know with an administration that got rid of Herm Edwards then retained the AD who hired him (Ray Anderson). Dillingham, 32, is a proven commodity despite his relative youth. His quarterback, Bo Nix, may get a Heisman Trophy invite. Dillingham would be given all kinds of resources to turn around the Sun Devils. In the new Pac-12 (without USC and UCLA , why can't ASU compete for a playoff spot every year?

Los Angeles Rams running backs coach Thomas Brown is said to be interested. Jackson State's Deion Sanders has already taken his name out of the running saying he'd never go "West."
<-

Colorado

Northwestern defensive coordinator Ryan Walters is largely considered the favorite. Walters played safety for the Buffaloes from 2004-08. If he somehow doesn't get the job, there is a long line of worthy contenders. Departed Auburn coach Bryan Harsin is interested, as is former Texas coach Tom Herman, former Virginia coach Bronco Mendenhall and Sacramento State coach Troy Taylor. Texas analyst and former TCU coach Gary Patterson is also interested in getting back in somewhere. <-

Reaction Score

That interview was amazing .... I have lived in Florida for the past 8 years full time but still love the idea of a really solid and consistent UConn football program and Jim Mora really seems to have put the spark back into a program that had really struggled for a number of years ... I'm so hopeful that he does decide to stay and hopefully draw more talent from around the Northeast if not from all across the country and make the program respectful throughout the country ... if not to the extent of the basketball programs, at least to the level of some of the middle of the pack major conference teams ....

Reaction Score
What I hope we can offer him is what we were able to offer Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma, the chance to bring a regional program into a national program .... to be the creator of a wonderful legacy .... to some people, that would certainly surpass millions of dollars and sustaining or trying to sustain a school that has already had a reputation as a significant football program .... it isn't like UConn wouldn't be able to provide him with a very substantial stipend to hopefully build a special program and wouldn't that be a great legacy???? How much notoriety has both Coach Calhoun and Coach Auriemma earned for making our basketball programs so nationally respected and admired?????

Reaction Score
What I hope we can offer him is what we were able to offer Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma, the chance to bring a regional program into a national program .... to be the creator of a wonderful legacy .... to some people, that would certainly surpass millions of dollars and sustaining or trying to sustain a school that has already had a reputation as a significant football program .... it isn't like UConn wouldn't be able to provide him with a very substantial stipend to hopefully build a special program and wouldn't that be a great legacy???? How much notoriety has both Coach Calhoun and Coach Auriemma earned for making our basketball programs so nationally respected and admired?????
That’s a wonderful thought but it ignores the distinctions between UConn in basketball and UConn in football. In hoops, while we had no record of national success pre-Calhoun, we had a rabid fan base, a spot in a hot, national power conference, and played many games in what was then a major league arena. Someone wanting to find a school where they can build a football program into a national player will look at UConn and not see such an easy task. Even when Edsall signed on the first time, the fact that we were joining a power conference — albeit the weakest of them — provided a path to prominence we don’t have today.

Reaction Score
I don't think Mora sticks around long enough to see this unfold, but there is little doubt in my mind that the college football landscape is about to change in monumental ways. The USC/UCLA move to the BiG is the precursor to bifurcation of major college football and probably all athletics. The transfer portal and NIL (and its inevitable successor) will mean recruiting will be full on free agency. All of that disruption may place UCONN in a position to chose where it best fits and how to be most successful in this new world.

Again, I don't think Mora sticks around long enough for all that to unfold, but hopefully long enough to continue to get this program fully moving in the right direction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom