Article about teams poaching Mora | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Article about teams poaching Mora

Reaction Score
The biggest attended home games were against regional rivals. Liberty is Liberty and they don’t move the needle much.

Plus the weather forecast days prior called for heavy rain at game time. Everyone made other plans but of course you know New England weather.
Plus the fact that out season ticket base is down from the past few years. Casual fans don't know much about Liberty (except the connection with the Falwell's if that) and isn't going to generate much interest for a November game.

I'd hoped for a better turnout, but we wouldn't have had 10,000 there if the team hadn't improved this year.

Reaction Score
It is without a doubt that Coach Mora, his staff, the athletes and DB have done an incredible job turning the program from failure to success. His name coming up for COTY may not happen, but he should be in the hunt. Turning to the fan base however, is a different story in MOP. After years of watching the program become the laughing stock of FB, I believe will take longer to fill the stadium. Allot like turning an aircraft carrier, rather than a row boat. I believe they will come. If Coach Mora stays another year or two, I firmly believe the Rent will rock again with a full house. I think positive comments on this site, as well as those who Bleed Blue turning out, {some perhaps for Army}, will have UConn a program we can all be proud. Keep those positive comments coming. I sent Coach Mora a Thank You card today for all he has done. Stay safe. Go Huskies!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Love the timing of the SportsCenter piece on top of the Mike Anthony article today:

I can’t help but feel there is a DB/JM sheet of music in play. Could be 100% wrong but…
Jim Mora has incredible message discipline. I actually think he had a slight oops in publicly crapping on the CBS Sportsnet contract.

I think Mora has a moment of opportunity with this season’s success and he is taking advantage of it in a very savvy manner. Win today, and again in a bowl game, and he’s got some negotiating leverage.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I just keep coming back to his comments about what has happened the last times he ended a season with 6 wins at other jobs. Like others have said, he isn't a coach looking to move up the ranks at the first P5 that comes calling. Yes he wants reassurances from the university and wants his assistants paid and kept around. I'm don't blame him and we need that as a team to succeed. However, I don't know why a coach who has been at many different leveled jobs would want to jump back into the pressure cooker of reclamation jobs where turning around a program in less than 2 years is unacceptable. By turning a program around, I don't mean winning 6-7 games.

He has something going here and the pressure is small. 6 wins is not the end game for him and we love that. However, he's not getting his seat hot because he's only won 6. Instead, he's getting a golden throne built for him.

Yes money talks but you gotta think, and hope, that he's at the point of his career where he's been fired for winning more than 6 games because the expectations were outrageous. All he might want is to turn around a program that has potential to be a power and not have the pressure to do it immediately and that a 6 win season is not ok.

Reaction Score
I just keep coming back to his comments about what has happened the last times he ended a season with 6 wins at other jobs. Like others have said, he isn't a coach looking to move up the ranks at the first P5 that comes calling. Yes he wants reassurances from the university and wants his assistants paid and kept around. I'm don't blame him and we need that as a team to succeed. However, I don't know why a coach who has been at many different leveled jobs would want to jump back into the pressure cooker of reclamation jobs where turning around a program in less than 2 years is unacceptable. By turning a program around, I don't mean winning 6-7 games.

He has something going here and the pressure is small. 6 wins is not the end game for him and we love that. However, he's not getting his seat hot because he's only won 6. Instead, he's getting a golden throne built for him.

Yes money talks but you gotta think, and hope, that he's at the point of his career where he's been fired for winning more than 6 games because the expectations were outrageous. All he might want is to turn around a program that has potential to be a power and not have the pressure to do it immediately and that a 6 win season is not ok.
He turned down schools like Texas who gave a huge offer to stay at UCLA because of his loyalty to that program and his family. He has spoken recently of his loyalty to DB and the players. He has even spoken about it before the season even started in an interview with Chris Long. He already was in the time in his life where he isn’t looking to just move forward when someone presents a great offer and still is in that time .

Reaction Score
I've said this before. Mora is not like Leopold at Kansas, another amazing miracle worker--but a relative unknown to the nation. Mora's a well known guy to the media and a great interview, especially now with his "incredulous, improbable, turnaround of UConn's moribund football program". Every interviewer expects him to be on the radar screen of bigger programs--right now.
We better be prepared to step up and do some heavy "bag" lifting to keep him. He's a Pac12 guy. Attended Washington. Coached at UCLA. Why wouldn't Colorado have him locked on their radar? He's a perfect fit for the desperate Buffs and CU has an enormous checkbook. Mora loves a hard challenge--and climbing rugged mountains. His new wife has no ties to the Northeast. Mora's son is in the same fraternity at CU with my grandson who told me that Mora's on the radar out there. The guys in the fraternity watched the Revolution videos, especially the recent video recap of the Liberty game and were yelling "bring Mora here!" Doesn't mean it will happen-- but it's a cautionary tale.
Lolz.

Reaction Score
Yes, money will decide whether we can keep him here or not. It won't be solely what we pay him however (and likely won't need to be what other schools would be willing to offer).

He said he didn't come here to win six games. If the school can demonstrate the commitment to rise as high as he wants to take us, he'll be here until he no longer wants to coach.
Great take on this.

So many thoughts come to mind. Foremost among them is JM seems almost too good to be true. No, take that back, he is too good to be true.

Who amongst us expected an experienced, successful, former P5 and NFL head coach, to aggressively pursue the UConn job?

Who amongst us expected that coach to put together such an outstanding staff of coaches and support personnel and impart to the players and staff the mindset that has lead them to six and possibly more wins this year?

Consider:
-JM said he pursued this job because of the challenge;
-He's already been at the top of his profession and doesn't need the affirmation that comes with a P5 job;
-His time out of football allowed him to reflect on what's really important for him and his family (new wife) at his stage in life;
-In his time at ESPN he was able to see the facilities schools have, observe coaching styles, assess what works best and refine his thoughts on what leads to success on the field;
-His own experience at UCLA, and his observations of the brutal expectations at P5 schools while working at ESPN, likely altered his thoughts on what makes a job desirable;
-He realizes his age may limit his opportunities, and there's only one Nick Saban, so Making UConn Great Again may be his best chance for immortality; and
-Unless he's Antoine Walker incarnate, he doesn't need money except as a measure of how much his success is valued;

As I read the comments on this thread I also recalled something Geno said years ago as he reflected on his own career. Something on the order of, "I figured we could do well here and after a few years move on to a better job, but this turned out to be the better job".

Reaction Score
Great take on this.

So many thoughts come to mind. Foremost among them is JM seems almost too good to be true. No, take that back, he is too good to be true.

Who amongst us expected an experienced, successful, former P5 and NFL head coach, to aggressively pursue the UConn job?

Who amongst us expected that coach to put together such an outstanding staff of coaches and support personnel and impart to the players and staff the mindset that has lead them to six and possibly more wins this year?

Consider:
-JM said he pursued this job because of the challenge;
-He's already been at the top of his profession and doesn't need the affirmation that comes with a P5 job;
-His time out of football allowed him to reflect on what's really important for him and his family (new wife) at his stage in life;
-In his time at ESPN he was able to see the facilities schools have, observe coaching styles, assess what works best and refine his thoughts on what leads to success on the field;
-His own experience at UCLA, and his observations of the brutal expectations at P5 schools while working at ESPN, likely altered his thoughts on what makes a job desirable;
-He realizes his age may limit his opportunities, and there's only one Nick Saban, so Making UConn Great Again may be his best chance for immortality; and
-Unless he's Antoine Walker incarnate, he doesn't need money except as a measure of how much his success is valued;

As I read the comments on this thread I also recalled something Geno said years ago as he reflected on his own career. Something on the order of, "I figured we could do well here and after a few years move on to a better job, but this turned out to be the better job".
Let’s be honest it’s a great time to be a Husky! He is surrounded by a great group of head coaches and programs. I also think he understands how special the environment currently is and how to capitalize on that to take the program to another level. Actually not sure how many other schools are as well positioned.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We don't need this thread anymore. Nobody is poaching a guy who just got punked by Army.

Reaction Score
We don't need this thread anymore. Nobody is poaching a guy who just got punked by Army.

You can't be serious, They could have beat 100 - 0 last year, this year it could have easily went our way if not for a couple goal line stands.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You can't be serious, They could have beat 100 - 0 last year, this year it could have easily went our way if not for a couple goal line stands.
I am serious as a heart attack. That's why the call me Mr. Positive

Reaction Score
Let him keep winning and then say we need our stadium to be on campus. Heroes can accomplish what mere mortals can’t.

Reaction Score
Would be a good fit for Mora.
Because it’s a Pac12 school? Again, never say never but Arizona State is a hot mess with a lot of uncertainty in front of it w/ the ongoing NCAA investigation leading to unknown NCAA punishment down the road and a shaky athletic director w/ a kiss of death vote of confidence (jeez, maybe he and Benedict go as a package ;)). Why jump into that quagmire at this time.

Reaction Score
Because it’s a Pac12 school? Again, never say never but Arizona State is a hot mess with a lot of uncertainty in front of it w/ the ongoing NCAA investigation leading to unknown NCAA punishment down the road and a shaky athletic director w/ a kiss of death vote of confidence (jeez, maybe he and Benedict go as a package ;)). Why jump into that quagmire at this time.
Well, just in general. I think Mora would do well there. However, as you said lots of penalties coming their way. Would be surprised if AZ state went a similar route as Herm Edwards again.

Reaction Score

According to an ASU 247 reporter “a lot of buzz around Mora”

“The five names I've heard the most about the ASU coaching vacancy are Jim Mora Jr., Tom Herman, Bronco Mendenhall, Brent Brennan and Kenny Dillingham. But some of that could be less reciprocated than others.

There is talk that Mendenhall could be a preferred candidate at Nebraska but also may be interviewing at ASU. A lot of buzz around Mora right now.

How would you rank those five?

My personal favorite remains Troy Taylor if the swing-for-the-fences guys and Jonathan Smith all said no. Jake Dickert would also be good.”

Seems to me like the same “cachet” names are just being thrown around for a bunch of jobs.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
sorry I don't see him leaving for ASU or Colorado. Both jobs are not a big step up even being as independent as UConn is. Remember the Pac 10 is losing USC and UCLA. That is the second-largest market in the country.

Reaction Score
Pay the man.

UConn needs to look at Mora as a long term investment for the University.
I get it I do. But if another P5 school wants him and he wants them., there is no amount of money to keep him here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom