Article about teams poaching Mora | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Article about teams poaching Mora

Reaction Score
Love the timing of the SportsCenter piece on top of the Mike Anthony article today:

I can’t help but feel there is a DB/JM sheet of music in play. Could be 100% wrong but…
Like you mean they are in coordination?

Reaction Score
Had he not worked at espn he probably wouldn't have taken the job. They did do something good for us.

Reaction Score
If you have a coach you like, you have to do what you can to make him happy. That means compensation, staff compensation and monetary and non-monetary support for his program.

You also have to realize that, in football, there are a good number of programs that will simply be able to offer him more of all of these to make him happy, and if they do and he takes their offer it will suck but we will be in much better position for the next hire -- both because of Mora's buy out, which can be used to pay the next coach, because this year will certainly increase attendance and revenue and because he won't have to pull a program out of the toilet -- and Dave B just has to do his job again. But until we're a P-5 school or the whole landscape of college football changes, there will simply be a number of schools that can offer him more than we can and if he's performing he will have offseason decisions to make.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Interesting quotes.

The same would be true if he turned around a second tier B10 or even SEC program. Good coaches (except at a few elite schools) will be highly sought after.

It's a good problem to have. No one wanted to poach Edsall 2.0.

Which Ollie did you prefer, the one speculated for NBA jobs, or the one with under .500 seasons?

Reaction Score
The same would be true if he turned around a second tier B10 or even SEC program. Good coaches (except at a few elite schools) will be highly sought after.

Which Ollie did you prefer, the one speculated for NBA jobs, or the one with under .500 seasons?
Disagree. Many here wanted to poach Edsall, but not the way you meant it. The way you poach a salmon.

Reaction Score

Bottom line for me is in my head I know obviously Mora would take a better job. I just want it to be after next year when we have a really solid foundation to hand off to presumably Charlton. it’s been an incredible year but to have to start over after one year isn’t sustainable for a program.

Reaction Score
If you have a coach you like, you have to do what you can to make him happy. That means compensation, staff compensation and monetary and non-monetary support for his program.

You also have to realize that, in football, there are a good number of programs that will simply be able to offer him more of all of these to make him happy, and if they do and he takes their offer it will suck but we will be in much better position for the next hire -- both because of Mora's buy out, which can be used to pay the next coach, because this year will certainly increase attendance and revenue and because he won't have to pull a program out of the toilet -- and Dave B just has to do his job again. But until we're a P-5 school or the whole landscape of college football changes, there will simply be a number of schools that can offer him more than we can and if he's performing he will have offseason decisions to make.

This is why I would be in favor of an extension. Get him what he needs get the staff a raise. But also increase the buyout.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I don't think he's going anywhere. I believe him when he says UConn is where he wants to be. I got a kick out of "last time I won 6 games i got fired". My only point earlier was that if he does leave, he's already done a job we would all be grateful for in redefining the possible.

Reaction Score
My opinion
  1. Coach Mora was excited to come here and seems even more excited with the results. I think it would be strange for him to come here on a mission #HuskyRevolution and then up and leave. I don't see it.
  2. I give Coach Mora all the credit in the world for having UCONN winning games this year. UCONN is a unique situation and HCJM was the right guy for the job. He's getting it done.
  3. HCJM can really do something special here. UCONN is a national brand and if he can bring the football program up near the level of the other sports, that would really be a huge accomplishment for Him and for Us.
  4. It takes more than one season to be "stabilized." Of course, the way things are going, I can see UCONN really taking off, but it's too soon to say it is stabilized.
  5. All that said, looking at this season alone, given the SOS and the teams they've beaten. I just don't think it makes sense for a big-time program to hire him right now. Look. There's a long list of coaches who had a run of success and then failed at a big-time program. At the same time, if there isn't a much brighter opportunity $$$$ for UCONN Football in the very near future and someone makes an offer, he just might take it.
  6. I'm all over the place. Go HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
He's coaching like he wants to stay. Which is how he will get a Big 5 offer. Turning CU Buffs around is going to be much harder than the Huskies. They will hire him for long term big money and it might be too much to turn down. We need to up the ante from his current deal.

Reaction Score
Everything he has said is that he likes a challenge and hard things. Elevating UConn to national power is the hardest of them all from where we came. P5 opportunities have challenges that are easier to overcome. It's a certain type of person who wants to prove they are the best by taking on the hardest challenges and winning. He seems like that type of person who likes to fight for every inch and this is the place to do it. If he is that type of person, like I imagine he is, money for him isn't the motivator, it's the challenge.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You know why I don't worry about getting outbid? Because we're gonna get outbid. I accept the things I cannot change and I also had 2 Sip of Sunshines at the BB game tonight. A decent man isn't catching Grand Slam balls at the women's softball game and saying the this best group he's ever worked with one day and leaving town the next. Don 't confuse him with someone that says "I will be at UConn as long as you will have me" then just leaves.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No coach is going to leave UConn to go to USF. Football, basketball, all the way down to rowing. That university has screwed up so many times, they deserve what's coming to them.
Unless he likes warm weather.

Reaction Score
Unless he likes warm weather.
warm weather, or extremely hot humid huge bug infested weather. HCJM is a mountain man.

get lost poachers!

the office finger guns GIF

Reaction Score
Can we also appreciate how fantastic all of our assistants have been?! I'm more worried about an exodus from them. Sammis and EJ and Dalton Hilliard. The improvement seen in the OL and DB groups. The continued excellence of the RB group as each player had to step up. Need to ensure that we get what all the coaches need.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom