Arike tech? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Arike tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't understand. Geno said he was talking to the ref? How is that an exchange with Arike? Kara Lawson said Geno was talking to the ref and Arike took exception. The overhead video shows Geno talking to a ref and Arike took 5 or 6 steps in their direction and said something that prompted an immediate T. At least she didn't try to trip him in the handshake line.

Oh you are referencing the reporter's word choice of "exchange". I hadn't noticed. I just posted the tweet because I hadn't seen Geno's quotes on the issue posted on the forum.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
If the refs as a group decide they have had enough Ogunbowale's stuff, they could seriously impeded her quest for NPOY.

Reaction Score
looks like Shepard, who was next in line, said something classy. her gesture was something like 'Don't mind her' Nice move by the young lady.
I agree. It looks like she was trying to say something to Arike along the lines of “don’t be that way” and then said something classy to Geno. I admire Shepard for being composed in that situation.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Making Mabrey look like an amateur. :mad:

There was an article discussing Marina & Arike's friendship. Marina mentioned that Arike's relaxed off-court demeanor has rubbed off on her while her intense on-court demeanor has rubbed off on Arike. But Arike was chippier today than I've ever seen Marina.

It's really disappointing especially because everything I've heard about her is that she's a good young lady from a good family. But she was over the line today.

I mean, usually as a homer you try to give your own players the benefit of the doubt, but I can't begin to reverse-engineer what she was thinking there at the end.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There was an article discussing Marina & Arike's friendship. Marina mentioned that Arike's relaxed off-court demeanor has rubbed off on her while her intense on-court demeanor has rubbed off on Arike. But Arike was chippier today than I've ever seen Marina.

It's really disappointing especially because everything I've heard about her is that she's a good young lady from a good family. But she was over the line today.

I mean, usually as a homer you try to give your on players the benefit of the doubt, but I can't begin to reverse-engineer what she was thinking there at the end.
Oh, I can. She was probably highly frustrated with the way the game was playing out and the way the calls were going late in the game. Given that most athletes really hype themselves up before games, I can fully understand that she was full of emotion. I DON'T understand why she made the fouls she did or spoke to Geno that way. I also don't understand why her coach allowed it to continue. I suppose McGraw was also very frustrated and angry but she's the adult in the room and has a responsibility.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The chippiness on the part of Arike started with 6:23 remaining in the 1st quarter. I blame Arike but I also blame the refs for not putting a stop to it early or late. I also remember some of our posters from the Pac12 complaining about Arike behavior from the Oregon State game. I dismissed those complaints and gave Arike the benefit of the doubt-NO LONGER!

Last edited:

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score

I found this on Insta from search, another instance of what was going on and right in front of Kanter and she did nothing about it.

Incredibly vicious and premeditated take down of Crystal Dangerfield. She kicks Crystal Dangerfield's right leg right out from under her while slamming her down with her left elbow. Not a spontaneous move out of frustration, but more of a well-studied, predatorial move from her bag of tricks. This type of behavior needs to be exposed before someone really gets hurt. Shades of Bill Laimbeer, didn't he also play at Notre Dame?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Oh, I can. She was probably highly frustrated with the way the game was playing out and the way the calls were going late in the game. Given that most athletes really hype themselves up before games, I can fully understand that she was full of emotion. I DON'T understand why she made the fouls she did or spoke to Geno that way. I also don't understand why her coach allowed it to continue. I suppose McGraw was also very frustrated and angry but she's the adult in the room and has a responsibility.

I guess what I meant is sometimes the other team's fans will say "that's a cheap shot" and as a homer you can say to yourself "she didn't really mean it, it was an accident...etc."

But the way she hip-checked Dangerfield at midcourt...that doesn't seem to be an accident. She just ran right into her. Apparently for no other reason than she just lost her temper. I understand frustration fouls or putting a little extra oomph into a basketball plays but not body-checking people and chirping at opposing coaches.

Reaction Score
The chippiness on the part of Arike started with 6:23 remaining in the 1st quarter. I blame Arike but I also blame the refs for not putting a stop to it early or late.
This was a noted referee team but I think they had an off day. If you let the physical stuff go early but call it later, there is always a strong reaction by players and fans.

Same thing happened to ND on the offensive end. The bigs were allowed to displace their defenders all game until the middle of the fourth quarter. When the calls started coming, ND players, coaches and fans were incensed.

Tough way to call the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01