Arike tech? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Arike tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This was a noted referee team but I think they had an off day. If you let the physical stuff go early but call it later, there is always a strong reaction by players and fans.

Same thing happened to ND on the offensive end. The bigs were allowed to displace their defenders all game until the middle of the fourth quarter. When the calls started coming, ND players, coaches and fans were incensed.

Tough way to call the game...

Don’t blame the refs for Arike taking out Crystals leg. That was a nasty and dangerous play.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There is a clear pattern of this type of behavior and inappropriate, unsportsmanlike play that is aiming to injure opposing players. She needs to get a suspension at some point.

I'd kind of like to see her try that behavior in the WNBA next season. I have a feeling someone will quickly send her a very loud, clear message to knock it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I guess what I meant is sometimes the other team's fans will say "that's a cheap shot" and as a homer you can say to yourself "she didn't really mean it, it was an accident...etc."

But the way she hip-checked Dangerfield at midcourt...that doesn't seem to be an accident. She just ran right into her. Apparently for no other reason than she just lost her temper. I understand frustration fouls or putting a little extra oomph into a basketball plays but not body-checking people and chirping at opposing coaches.
Thank you for your honest posts ...:)

Reaction Score
how come she wasn't kicked out of the game? I thought 2 technicals = you're gone for the rest of the game. What are the rules around that?
I was going to ask the same question. If you had 2 techs should you be gone?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
how come she wasn't kicked out of the game? I thought 2 technicals = you're gone for the rest of the game. What are the rules around that?
The box score shows ND with one T, the one on Arike.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
I guess what I meant is sometimes the other team's fans will say "that's a cheap shot" and as a homer you can say to yourself "she didn't really mean it, it was an accident...etc."

But the way she hip-checked Dangerfield at midcourt...that doesn't seem to be an accident. She just ran right into her. Apparently for no other reason than she just lost her temper. I understand frustration fouls or putting a little extra oomph into a basketball plays but not body-checking people and chirping at opposing coaches.

Knowing that you are a Notre Dame fan, I appreciate your candor and moderating influence. However, Arike's technique must be quite advanced, at least to the untrained eye, if she can get away with that being called "body checking," as in just bumping into or slamming someone with their body to knock them down like in hockey. I don't wish to make it more than it was, but there was much more technique to it than a mere "body check." In Japanese, it's called a "waza," a martial arts term used to describe a take-down or submission technique. It's much too dangerous for players, so better to call it for what it is.

Reaction Score
The box score shows ND with one T, the one on Arike.
So the 'unsportsman-like conduct' is not considered a technical? Because I know there were definitely 2 sets of 'free' free throws.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I admire many of your qualities as a poster, most especially your ability to be objective about your own team and to call a spade a spade.

Are you sure you're really a Notre Dame fan? :)

Reaction Score
The announcers missed large portions of the game. i wish they would do the game, and not try to entertain each other. This trio together is lacking concentration. They only need two people with the microphones.

That is so true. i saw one where Pheesa was supposedly fouled after making a layup and they went to a commercial break. when it came back ND had the ball and the score hadn't changed. Nothing was said about the reason for this. several other times things like this happened throughout the game. i thought it was a poor job of calling the game.

Reaction Score
I think there was a lot to be desired from commentators in this game. We didn't know why ND was getting extra free throws, there were several whistles and fouls that were never explained or even mentioned, I don't think they ever said that Arike got a technical - they said it was on the bench and then it was on the top left part of the screen, but you couldn't really see what was happening, then it cut away, etc. I'll have to rewatch it, but many plays and whistles left me wondering what was happening and hearing way more about stuff that didn't have anything to do with the game. .....

The announcers were so busy talking about personal things that i don't think they knew what was happening on the court. I saw Shepard got fouled and was shooting free throws. It was a layup foul and she missed the first one completely and clanked the 2nd one, but then she shot another one..What!!!!! she made it, but why did she get 3. Hello announcers!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It wasn't the ND fans saying it! She said that in the Postgame!

"Ogunbowale said Auriemma masterfully baited her into the technical but was disappointed in herself for responding.
“He said some words and I fed right into it and said something back,” Ogunbowale said. “As a senior leader, I definitely can’t do that. I have to keep my composure in times like that.” "

BlueAndGold.com - No. 1 Notre Dame Falls To No. 2 UConn

Ah the classic "It is your fault that I lost my composure defense."

Reaction Score
The announcers were so busy talking about personal things that i don't think they knew what was happening on the court. I saw Shepard got fouled and was shooting free throws. It was a layup foul and she missed the first one completely and clanked the 2nd one, but then she shot another one..What!!!!! she made it, but why did she get 3. Hello announcers!!
I thought the extra shot was because of a lane violation on the first one when UConn tried to sub out Collier for ONO.

CL82

Reaction Score
I probably need to apologize to my neighbor for all the times I yelled "Call the !@#$% game!"
I've told this story on the men's board. When I first got my dog she was a little really nervous during her her first televised UConn game. She'd be like "What?! What is it? Are we under attack?" Now she just sighs, gets up and walks into the kitchen.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That is so true. i saw one where Pheesa was supposedly fouled after making a layup and they went to a commercial break. when it came back ND had the ball and the score hadn't changed. Nothing was said about the reason for this. several other times things like this happened throughout the game. i thought it was a poor job of calling the game.

That really confused me too. I was multi tasking so I thought I missed the explanation. Apparently there was no explanation. Maybe a non shooting foul was called before the shot, I think UConn inbounded the ball after the timeout IIRC.

CL82

Reaction Score
Nevertheless, I had some 70+ year old grandmother dropping f-bombs at me as I had a UConn hat on and after the game,
For a glorious second there I thought this was a story about you throwing down with a 70 something woman.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Due to work, I travel a bit and have caught UConn games all over the place with a combination of intelligent scheduling and luck. Even going to games in the Dome sitting with high school classmates of mine who went to Syracuse, ND fans are the worst.

While enjoying some good, old lake effect on a drive between Chicago and Grand Rapids for work I lucked-out stopping in South Bend to catch UConn men in the early '00's take on ND. I was surrounded by Green; but, kept my mouth shut and didn't even consider having a beer (not sure if ND sells beer on campus) because I knew the rest fo my drive after the game was going to be a nightmare. Nevertheless, I had some 70+ year old grandmother dropping f-bombs at me as I had a UConn hat on and after the game, her son (40's?) and grandsons (20's?) start to push me around and look for a fight. I just walked away.

They don't call them the "fighting Irish" for nothing. What can you expect from a team whose mascot is a drunk leprechaun with his fists up?

CL82

Reaction Score
I guess she may want to be part of the ND football team.
That would be a penalty in football. Just saying. I think the leg sweep is legal in Judo and mixed martial arts though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That really confused me too. I was multi tasking so I thought I missed the explanation. Apparently there was no explanation. Maybe a non shooting foul was called before the shot, I think UConn inbounded the ball after the timeout IIRC.

You are right. UCONN did have the ball to inbound, but there was no explanation of what had happened when they said that Pheesa had a chance for a 3 point play after the break...Crickets

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Here's how Mike Bernadino reported:

SOUTH BEND – Midway through the final quarter of Sunday’s 89-71 loss to archrival Connecticut, Arike Ogunbowale finally snapped.

Legendary Huskies coach Geno Auriemma was on the visiting bench, doing what he constantly does – talking – and top-ranked Notre Dame’s senior star decided she’d heard enough. She got hit with a technical foul that only added to the frustration of this much-hyped, nationally televised Jimmy V Classic matchup of the nation’s top two women’s basketball programs.

In better times, she had barked at Auriemma, the coach who tried to act like he didn’t really recruit her after Ogunbowale ended his team’s 36-0 run to the national semifinals in March.

This was his turn to get some payback, not that he would ever admit to that.

“We’ve got a long way to go,” McGraw said. “I think we’re a really good team and we will be a really good team. Tonight, we weren’t. I was disappointed for the fans. They came out and gave great effort and we didn’t.”

Worse still, she said, the Irish failed to control their emotions.

“We lost our poise,” she said. “That was unexpected.”

With Chatty Geno in the house, perhaps it shouldn’t have been such a surprise.

Geno Auriemma, Huskies get the best of top-ranked Notre Dame

Reaction Score
Here's how Mike Bernadino reported:

SOUTH BEND – Midway through the final quarter of Sunday’s 89-71 loss to archrival Connecticut, Arike Ogunbowale finally snapped.

Legendary Huskies coach Geno Auriemma was on the visiting bench, doing what he constantly does – talking – and top-ranked Notre Dame’s senior star decided she’d heard enough. She got hit with a technical foul that only added to the frustration of this much-hyped, nationally televised Jimmy V Classic matchup of the nation’s top two women’s basketball programs.

In better times, she had barked at Auriemma, the coach who tried to act like he didn’t really recruit her after Ogunbowale ended his team’s 36-0 run to the national semifinals in March.

This was his turn to get some payback, not that he would ever admit to that.

“We’ve got a long way to go,” McGraw said. “I think we’re a really good team and we will be a really good team. Tonight, we weren’t. I was disappointed for the fans. They came out and gave great effort and we didn’t.”

Worse still, she said, the Irish failed to control their emotions.

“We lost our poise,” she said. “That was unexpected.”

With Chatty Geno in the house, perhaps it shouldn’t have been such a surprise.

Geno Auriemma, Huskies get the best of top-ranked Notre Dame

No bias there. I wonder what his report will say about Arike's flagrant?

Reaction Score
No got a text from a courtside pundit who I know really well, heard the whole thing and I guess the fans were saying a bunch of inappropriate stuff to your players who were being interviewed and that was on twitter.

Don't you know? "The end justifies the means in the minds of the righteous."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01