OT: - Are you older than dirt? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: Are you older than dirt?

Reaction Score
One of my summer jobs during college was as the "runner" on a milk truck. We loaded up the milk,eggs,and butter at 3 AM(that huge freezer was so cold at that hour). I would load up each order in the metal hand carrier , and hoof it up to the front door. Great way to get in shape!

Reaction Score
Butch Wax! Wow! Wild Bill was my barber; 5 minutes was all he took to run that clipper over my head. Early on that wax was critical. I was probably 30 when I finally let my hair grow.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
One of my summer jobs during college was as the "runner" on a milk truck. We loaded up the milk,eggs,and butter at 3 AM(that huge freezer was so cold at that hour). I would load up each order in the metal hand carrier , and hoof it up to the front door. Great way to get in shape!
I had the opposite problem. I had a summer job in a printing place. The propane dryers ran at about 800 degrees and the ink wouldn’t dry properly if the place was air conditioned. Hottest that I remember was 142. I dropped about 20 lb and 2” off my waist. I learned what dehydration feels like and discovered salt tablets.

Reaction Score
I still have a Flexible Flyer sled in my garage. They were the best. My first "English" bike with hand brakes and gears was a Raleigh.
Wow,yes, the old "English Racer"! Got mine at xmas, probably 1952; went right out with it on the snow and ice. I put thousands of miles on that bike.

Reaction Score
How many of you have ever ridden in a rumble seat or stood on a running board?

I must admit I do not remember Black Jack gum. But then I did not pay any attention to the brand except to the double bubble kids commercial. How about the small coke bottles you bought out of the machine for 5 cents. Or how many of you ever had a Winky Dink set? I did not care for Howdy Doody. He looked too weird ( kind of the Chucky of his era ) and Clarabell and Mr Bluster were just too bazear for my taste. The same went for Pinky Lee who was just plum crazy.

Who ever remembers talking through cans connected by string?
Rode many miles in the rumble seat of my uncle's Ford.

Reaction Score
Andy’s Gang with Midnight the Cat and Froggy the Gremlin. Froggy was a troublemaker and therefore my favorite.
"Plunk your magic twanger Froggy"! Just saw a video of Andy Devine summoning Froggy.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A little shaky on the 1st three; then 100%

But I'm only 85 in July, I imagine some, much older
But still playing a half hour of BB every day, hitting quite a few 15-footers and just booked January in the Dolomiti ski region.

It all has to come to an end at some point...but not yet.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
"Plunk your magic twanger Froggy"! Just saw a video of Andy Devine summoning Froggy.
I used to hear Froggy the Gremlin on a Saturday radio show ...Was it, "No school today?"

Howdy doody, Claribel and Buffalo Bob

Carl Braun, "Sweetwater" Clifton and Harry "the horse" on the Knicks...Couz, Sharman and Easy Ed on Boston; Bobby Wanzer on the Rochester Royals...

"Victory at Sea" and "Omnibus" on TV

Mary Martin in the latest Rodgers and Hammerstein on B'way.

Stickball and curb ball in the Bronx

Olinville 5-4050 our telly number
Joe D, "Country" Slaughter, Johnny Mike, Scooter, King Kong Keller and ":Flash" Gordon on the Yanks

And the "breakenest" curve I ever saw from Sal "the Barber."

Reaction Score
How about "The Hap Richards Show"? Were you a citizen of Joyville? I was . . . sort of.

Also, I'm surprised that so many people don't remember Black Jack gum. It was made by Adams along with Clove, Beeman's and my personal favorite -- Teaberry. And no, I could not do the Teaberry Shuffle. :oops:

Reaction Score
I used to hear Froggy the Gremlin on a Saturday radio show ...Was it, "No school today?"

Carl Braun, "Sweetwater" Clifton and Harry "the horse" on the Knicks...Couz, Sharman and Easy Ed on Boston; Bobby Wanzer on the Rochester Royals...

Joe D, "Country" Slaughter, Johnny Mike, Scooter, King Kong Keller and ":Flash" Gordon on the Yanks

My brother couldn't get enough of Victory at Sea. A career in the Corps.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
What about Kukla, Fran and Ollie?

The Nestle commercial with the puppet dog? Our dog is named Farfel.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I had the opposite problem. I had a summer job in a printing place. The propane dryers ran at about 800 degrees and the ink wouldn’t dry properly if the place was air conditioned. Hottest that I remember was 142. I dropped about 20 lb and 2” off my waist. I learned what dehydration feels like and discovered salt tablets.
I had a job offloading tractor trailers. Those things are like an oven during the summer. Every one of us was soaked as if we had come out of a pool. I remember one particular time we were offloading linens for some kind of sale event at a hotel ballroom A bunch of guys dripping wet and stacks of towels are not the best combination.

Pro tip: you definitely want to wash those before using them.

Reaction Score

Not only stickball and curb ball in the Bronx, but you play the games with a "Spaldeen." (A pink Spalding rubber ball that you bought at the local candy store. After you finished your egg cream.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom