April recruiting thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

April recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Right. I'm just not convinced she is the player, or the only player, Geno was referring to in those cryptic comments. Thinking there may be another move in the next month or two.
Just wanted to say thanks for your (much anticipated) recruiting updates/info. Also, what are your thoughts on whether Tac or Koval would be a better fit for the Huskies?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Just wanted to say thanks for your (much anticipated) recruiting updates/info. Also, what are your thoughts on whether Tac or Koval would be a better fit for the Huskies?

Haven't seen as much of either as I would like. Tac is super impressive in one video. Not sure is the answer.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A lot of non-UConn commits, but Ashlynn (whose shot looks great) and KK both look good.

Excellent drive and finish by KK as well as a terrific drive and dish.

Two makes from Shade, one a three.

Reaction Score
I guess the question after the addition of Morgan Cheli is whether this is the mystery player Geno was referring to when hinting that there was at least one silent verbal. I suppose she could be, maybe even is. However, much as I like Cheli, she's not currently ranked top-5 on any of the scouting sites, and Geno specifically said in January that UConn had "commitments from 2 of the top 5 players in the country for next year" ('24).

One thing that sticks out is that Geno first made this comment in mid-January. Cheli made her visit to campus the weekend of the SC game which was February 5th. Would she have committed in January or earlier prior to her and her family visiting the campus? Possible I guess but don't recall recruits doing that. They usually commit after visiting or on that very trip.

Part of that is due to her missing at least some of last summer's AAU season due to injury. Out of sight, out of mind. Others just went past her. It will be interesting to see how she does this off-season.

Reaction Score
Regarding Cheli: She lives in my town, and I've seen her play on numerous occasions. I've been hoping she would head to Connecticut She has a very high basketball IQ, and definitely understands how to get the best out of her teammates. She missed a great deal of this HS season due to injury, but when she returned, she didn't miss a beat. Her HS coach, Sue Phillips, is one of the best in the country (been involved in USA basketball for many years, and coached in the Pac 12 at Cal for a few years awhile back, so she has certainly helped advance Cheli's game. Husky fans will love this player. She played out of position at the point when she returned this winter, and still dominated games against the top teams in NorCal. First player out of NorCal to head to Uconn, certainly the first out of Mitty HS, which is the big dog in this area. Hoping Morgan's experience at Uconn can inspire her freshman teammate McKenna Woliczko to follow her to Storrs.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On commitments being made before a campus visit ... Tiffany Hayes was the first one I remember - no one knew we were interested and the boneyard was shocked when this unknown from FL who had never been north of DC, committed when Geno visited in FL. But there have been others I believe (and one who didn't actually sign.)

Reaction Score
She has US citizenship and would be free to cash in on NIL deals. That's the reason I give her coming to Storrs any shot. UConn has traditionally been a stepping stone to the WNBA, which is the ultimate goal for most, even Euros.
The WNBA is a goal for every player but it doesn't pay - NCAA isn't a goal - If I was Juste Jocyte, I would play pro in Europe until I was 22 and then enter the draft - She already has the talent, I wish it for UCONN to recruit her, I don't wish it for Juste - Rach option is a good one, let's see what happens

Reaction Score
Regarding Cheli: She lives in my town, and I've seen her play on numerous occasions. I've been hoping she would head to Connecticut She has a very high basketball IQ, and definitely understands how to get the best out of her teammates. She missed a great deal of this HS season due to injury, but when she returned, she didn't miss a beat. Her HS coach, Sue Phillips, is one of the best in the country (been involved in USA basketball for many years, and coached in the Pac 12 at Cal for a few years awhile back, so she has certainly helped advance Cheli's game. Husky fans will love this player. She played out of position at the point when she returned this winter, and still dominated games against the top teams in NorCal. First player out of NorCal to head to Uconn, certainly the first out of Mitty HS, which is the big dog in this area. Hoping Morgan's experience at Uconn can inspire her freshman teammate McKenna Woliczko to follow her to Storrs.
Thanks for the report......Cheli appears to be the prototypical UConn recruit.............I just hope she leaves her injury problems at home.......

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
4/7

Scouting reports on KK Arnold and POI Jasmine Davidson from the Nike Summit scrimmage yesterday.

KK Arnold, committed to Connecticut

The 5’9 guard was a defensive menace, a 1 woman press, a bulldog who used quick hands & instincts for leverage to cause POA problems every possession. USA tried out a number of different pressure schemes, and Arnold’s understanding of forcing towards angles to maximize deflections, steals & harder passes was extremely impressive. Offensively, she identified seams in coverage and forced rotations routinely, dropping her fair share of dimes.

Jazzy Davidson, uncommitted 2025 HS prospect, Portland Generals

If you didn’t know any better, you would believe Davidson is an incoming college freshman, but no, the class of 2025 6’1 wing has a composure to her game well beyond her years. Davidson uses her big strides and advanced feel to win as a ballhandler against smaller, stronger guards. Multiple times using extension finishes to find a window through helpside contests. Knocked down multiple kick out 3s. Used multiple tempos & handle heights in open court to break free in heavy pressure situations.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Morgan Cheli's high school coach Sue Phillips is working with the players at the Nike Hoops Summit camp.

Phillips has enjoyed working with Arnold and Shade since their arrival in Portland for the Nike Hoop Summit.

"I had KK with the U-16 national team two years ago," Phillips said. "She's just a force on both sides of the ball and is driven and vocal.

"Ashlynn is a knock-down shooter and she wants to learn and get better. She'll come up to me and go, 'Coach, can we go look at and study the playbook?' Like KK, very coachable and a joy to be around."

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Max Preps' Freshman All-American Team:

Brihanna Crittendon, Riverdale Ridge (Thornton, Colo.)
6-2 | Wing | Undecided

She led all Colorado classifications in scoring while pacing the Ravens to the Class 4A quarterfinals and a 22-4 record. She averaged 31.2 points, 10.0 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 2.0 steals while scoring 30 points or more 17 times the season.

Sanai Green, Steward (Richmond, Va.)
5-11 | Forward | Undecided

Already a 1,000-point scorer, Green led Steward to a 23-10 record and made the VISAA Division II semifinals this season. She averaged 20.1 points and 8.9 rebounds while going for 30 or more three times this season.

Katie Harpring, Marist (Atlanta)
5-9 | Guard | Undecided

The AAAAAA freshman of the year is the daughter of 11-year NBA veteran Matt Harpring. Averaged 23.4 points, 7.6 rebounds, 3.8 steals and 3.4 assists as the War Eagles went 26-3, reaching the quarterfinals.

Jordan Jackson, Sidwell Friends (Washington, D.C.)
6-1 | Guard | Undecided

On a national power with a host of standouts, Jackson managed to carve out an important role. She averaged 9.2 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.4 steals per game.

Isabella Ragone, Mill Creek (Hoschton, Ga.)
6-2 | Wing | Undecided

Averaged 20.2 points, 7.3 rebounds and 2.0 steals per night. She was the AAAAAAA Freshman of the Year and the Jackson County Christmas Tournament MVP.

Olivia Vukosa, Christ the King (Middle Village, N.Y.)
6-5 | Post | Undecided

The NYC star has already received offers from 17 Division I programs like Arizona State, Louisville, Maryland, North Carolina, Texas and UCLA. Averaged 21.1 points, 17.9 rebounds, 6.2 blocks and 3.7 steals per game. She earned New York City All-CHSAA first team honors, was the MVP of the Hoophall Classic and an all-tournament pick at the Nike TOC.

MAXPREPS CO-NATIONAL FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR

McKenna Woliczko, Archbishop Mitty (San Jose, Calif.)
6-2 | Post | Uncommitted

A two-sport athlete, she is likely to join a host of Monarch alums to head to a Power 5 school. California, Gonzaga, South Carolina, Tennessee and UCLA have already offered.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A couple of highlights on Vukosa for emphasis. Freshman. 6'5". Christ the King.

Averaged 21 points, 18 boards, 6 blocks. Made the Nike TOC All-Tourney team. That's arguably the biggest tourney of the year--and the freshman was one of the best players.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Toby Fournier won the MVP of the BioSteel game in Canada on Sunday. Aaliyah Edwards was in attendance.

Haven't found a link to the broadcast or stats yet.

Got her stats now.

21 points, 11 rebs, 5 blocks, 2 assists

Report on the game:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members